Should ATT unlock iPhones to Compete with Verizon?

Teacher

Should ATT unlock iPhones to Compete with Verizon?

 

 

Should ATT unlock iPhones to Compete with Verizon?

===================================

 

AT&T could offer to unlock customer iPhones to demonstrate

the advantage and versatility of having SIM-based phones.

 

 

Verizon phones have no SIM card and cannot be unlocked.

 

 

Would this help AT&T compete?

 

Steve

 

2,575 Views
Message 1 of 61
Teacher

Re: Should ATT unlock iPhones to Compete with Verizon?

 

T-Mobile does not have all the frequencies needed to fully support the iphone anyway

 

Correct.

 

T-Mobile uses the 1700MHz AWS Band which the iPhone4 does not support.

 

Now the iPhone5. Well that's a different story.

 

Several carriers that use AWS, such as T-Mobile,

along with the Canadian carriers WIND and VIDEOTRON

have all hinted that an upcoming iPhone will be available for their network.

 

Once the announcements are made and the details are in, we can all

make informed decisions.

 

 

{Keep it Spam Free}

 

Steve

 

Message 31 of 61
ACE - Professor

Re: Should ATT unlock iPhones to Compete with Verizon?

 


swSteve wrote:

 

 

johninsj wrote: It's not gonna happen. Really. Really really.

 

Nonsense.

 

Do you have any stock tips for us as well?

 

 

The minute T-Mobile offers an unlocked iPhone AT&T will offer the same thing.

 

Better to be in front of the curve.

 

Steve

 


Ok, I'm out of this discussion. Good luck with your crusade.

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 61
Teacher

Re: Should ATT unlock iPhones to Compete with Verizon?

 

=========-

johninsj wrote: Ok, I'm out of this discussion. Good luck with your crusade

==========

 

 

Thank You

 

 

Message 33 of 61
Expert

Re: Should ATT unlock iPhones to Compete with Verizon?


johninsj wrote:

 


swSteve wrote:

 

 

johninsj wrote: It's not gonna happen. Really. Really really.

 

Nonsense.

 

Do you have any stock tips for us as well?

 

 

The minute T-Mobile offers an unlocked iPhone AT&T will offer the same thing.

 

Better to be in front of the curve.

 

Steve

 


Ok, I'm out of this discussion. Good luck with your crusade.

 


love the analogy, perfect fit considering the history and outcome of that subject.

 

Bottom line - not goingto happen, deal with it or go to a carrier that will do what you want.

Message 34 of 61
Guru

Re: Should ATT unlock iPhones to Compete with Verizon?

Well there's nothing wrong in hoping/wishing that AT&T may someday allow iPhone unlocking; if I didn't know any better, I'd swear that some of you folks who keep parrotting that AT&T won't unlock the iPhone are sorta hoping that they never do.  I mean, what's with the "they'll never unlock it / not gonna happen" comments?  Unless you have some kind of crystal ball that revealed that AT&T will never ever unlock the iPhone...why would you offer such a comment as if it were some sort of fact...unless it's because you don't want it to happen?  Why not just simply say that AT&T currently doesn't unlock iPhones and there's nothing that says that they are required to, and leave it at that?

Message 35 of 61
Expert

Re: Should ATT unlock iPhones to Compete with Verizon?


tonester wrote:

Well there's nothing wrong in hoping/wishing that AT&T may someday allow iPhone unlocking; if I didn't know any better, I'd swear that some of you folks who keep parrotting that AT&T won't unlock the iPhone are sorta hoping that they never do.  I mean, what's with the "they'll never unlock it / not gonna happen" comments?  Unless you have some kind of crystal ball that revealed that AT&T will never ever unlock the iPhone...why would you offer such a comment as if it were some sort of fact...unless it's because you don't want it to happen?  Why not just simply say that AT&T currently doesn't unlock iPhones and there's nothing that says that they are required to, and leave it at that?


personnally don't care, it is not that great of a phone. The ad nauseum posts about the indignation of the simple fact that att and apple have the audacity to violate a persons rights and freedoms by not unlocking the phone tend to get tiring.

 

Posters have been told ad nauseum that "AT&T currently doesn't unlock iPhones and there's nothing that says that they are required to" but they still go forth and complain.  I would suspect that even if the moderators sticking a message in the forum in a 60 point flashing neon green title cover that the iphone will not be unlocked that there would still be threads started on the subject with the same old complaints.

Message 36 of 61
Professor

Re: Should ATT unlock iPhones to Compete with Verizon?

I have my own thoughts about unlocking.  I am opposed to it because I think it is wrong for any phone.  But if you buy a subsidized phone from at&t it can easily be argued that due to the subsidy they have the right to lock it.  If you did pay full price, maybe you could sue at&t to get it unlocked. 

 

But rest assured tht short of a court order (or if for some other reason it is in at&t's best interest), at&t IS NOT, WILL NOT, WOULD NOT CONSIDER, unlocking the iphone.  They have said it from day one and are still saying it.

Message 37 of 61

Re: Should ATT unlock iPhones to Compete with Verizon?


dwill05 wrote:

How would that "help" AT&T?  Unlocking them gives people incentive to leave AT&T for elsewhere.  Also, where else would they go?  T-Mobile is the only other big GSM carrier in the US, and their 3G frequency isn't supported by the iPhone.  Finally, how would this help AT&T "compete" with Verizon?  Their phones are locked too, so there is no advantage to Verizon on that.  Most of the people who say they are going to Verizon aren't going there because AT&T locks their phones.  It's for other reasons, mostly.


Actually, unlocking a phone does not provide "incentive" to leave AT&T, it only makes it possible to do so and not have to pay for a new phone ON TOP OF ETF feeds.

 

Considering that ALL OTHER AT&T offered phones are unlocked or will be unlocked by AT&T under the right circumstances, I don't see these customers leaving in droves...

Message 38 of 61

Re: Should ATT unlock iPhones to Compete with Verizon?


youngjm wrote:

Consider this: as soon as carriers are required to unlock phones by the government, we will all see prices rise.  Companies look at the total revenue stream of a product and if they cannot lock the phone to their network, they will make it up elsewhere.


This is a HORRIBLE assumption, and not a very smart one in my opinion.

 

The fact is the "lost revenue stream" from someone leaving a cellular provider is compensated by the "Early Termination Fees" that the providers charge should you chose to leave before your contract is up.  Leaving AFTER your contract is up causes no significant revenue stream reduction, and maintaining locked phones has ZERO affect on the bottom line, as the company makes their money back on subsidized phones well before the term of the contract is over anyway.

 

A locked phone just makes it that much more difficult, and expensive, for the customer to leave a provider for another, as the customer will typically have to purchase a new phone with the new provider.

 

It's just a deterrent to jumping ship is all.

Message 39 of 61
ACE - Professor

Re: Should ATT unlock iPhones to Compete with Verizon?

 


tonester wrote:

Well there's nothing wrong in hoping/wishing that AT&T may someday allow iPhone unlocking;


 

There's nothing wrong with wishing for something. It's just kinda pointless to do it in a user to user support forum, more than once... It really doesn't matter if we all wish togeather really hard or not. If people stopped signing up for service and buying iPhones from AT&T, that might make an impression. So far, that's not been the case.

 

Once you're out of contract, and out of warranty, the unlocking issue is moot, as 5 minutes with google will solve the problem for you.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 40 of 61
Expert

Re: Should ATT unlock iPhones to Compete with Verizon?


DimentoGraven wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

How would that "help" AT&T?  Unlocking them gives people incentive to leave AT&T for elsewhere.  Also, where else would they go?  T-Mobile is the only other big GSM carrier in the US, and their 3G frequency isn't supported by the iPhone.  Finally, how would this help AT&T "compete" with Verizon?  Their phones are locked too, so there is no advantage to Verizon on that.  Most of the people who say they are going to Verizon aren't going there because AT&T locks their phones.  It's for other reasons, mostly.


Actually, unlocking a phone does not provide "incentive" to leave AT&T, it only makes it possible to do so and not have to pay for a new phone ON TOP OF ETF feeds.

 

Considering that ALL OTHER AT&T offered phones are unlocked or will be unlocked by AT&T under the right circumstances, I don't see these customers leaving in droves...


How would it save havingh to pay for a new phone? Unless they go to T-Mobile in the US, then the phone is useless. the ATT iphone will not work on the Verizon network

Message 41 of 61
ACE - Master

Re: Should ATT unlock iPhones to Compete with Verizon?

You are missing another point for not unlocking phones.  When someone has a phone that is locked to a carrier it is a lower cost entry to service on that carrier and a quick and easy profit for the carrier, as they make the service profits without having to subsidize a phone for this new customer.  When one customer leaves, and gives their phone to someone else becuase they can't use it any more, it is an easy income source for the carrier to get a new customer at little cost.


Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 42 of 61

Re: Should ATT unlock iPhones to Compete with Verizon?


wingrider01 wrote:

DimentoGraven wrote:

Actually, unlocking a phone does not provide "incentive" to leave AT&T, it only makes it possible to do so and not have to pay for a new phone ON TOP OF ETF feeds.

 

Considering that ALL OTHER AT&T offered phones are unlocked or will be unlocked by AT&T under the right circumstances, I don't see these customers leaving in droves...


How would it save havingh to pay for a new phone? Unless they go to T-Mobile in the US, then the phone is useless. the ATT iphone will not work on the Verizon network


The argument is against the stated idea that unlocking a phone provides customer incentive to leave the provider, it doesn't.  It just makes it cheaper for the customer to go to another provider.

 

Your point about other GSM providers is valid only as long as the major providers continue to implement incompatible technology (a situation really only specific to North America/USA). 

 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't AT&T and Verizon will be implementing the same 4g technologies, and therefore wouldn't there be an advantage to the customer who has a 4g phone to be able to switch from one carrier to the other to find the price point/feature set that best meets their needs?

 

If the providers lock the phones to their specific networks and maintain that lock even after the contract period has ended, or maintain locks on phones that are paid in full by the customer, it forces the customer to bear additional expense to switch networks, which is an underhanded disinsentive to switching networks.

 

While it disinsentivizes leaving, it really won't give a person happy, or at least "content" with their current provider any more reason to leave.  It's strictly a disinsentive, and provides zero incentive.

Message 43 of 61
Contributor

Re: Should ATT unlock iPhones to Compete with Verizon?

All the iphones are unlockable.

ATT should unlock the device to International travellers which will promote the ATT service globally.

Message 44 of 61
ACE - Professor

Re: Should ATT unlock iPhones to Compete with Verizon?

 


dbalaji4u wrote:

All the iphones are unlockable.

ATT should unlock the device to International travellers which will promote the ATT service globally.


AT&T offers international roaming, which promotes revenue to AT&T, which is why they're in business.

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 45 of 61
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support