Should ATT unlock iPhones to Compete with Verizon?

Teacher

===================================

AT&T could offer to unlock customer iPhones to demonstrate

the advantage and versatility of having SIM-based phones.

Verizon phones have no SIM card and cannot be unlocked.

Would this help AT&T compete?

Steve

Message 1 of 61 (2,528 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Should ATT unlock iPhones to Compete with Verizon?

TerriZeee wrote:

SIM card locking reminds me of way back when AT&T would put a phone in your home wired directly to the wall with no way to unplug it.

I also remember this - because AT&T owned the wire, the service, and the phone itself, from CO to Handset. It was hard wired to the wall to ensure excellent connection end to end, but it was also built like a tank, and would last for 20 years.

I remember my father asking why the heck anyone in their right mind would want to buy the phone they used to get for free, and why he should now pay a wire maintenance fee to cover if "his" wiring went bad. The service didn't cost any less after deregulation, but now you got to pay extra for the device, and for maintenance. Granted, a short 30 years later things are better, but they actually got more expensive (and complex) during the deregulation/monoply breakup.

None of which has anything to do with not unlocking an iPhone. You can choose a different device if you don't like the lock. Or you can choose to get a cheap world phone and use that whenever you want. You just can't choose to get a GSM iPhone in the US and expect it to get unlocked.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 61 (1,286 Views)
Teacher

> None of which has anything to do with not unlocking an iPhone.

> You can choose a different device if you don't like the lock.

> Or you can choose to get a cheap world phone and use that whenever you want.

> You just can't choose to get a GSM iPhone in the US and expect it to get unlocked.

I thought USA was supposed to be the land where freedom of choice?

Well I chose to buy a factory unlocked iPhone 4.

I just had to go to Canada to do it.

At the Apple Store.

So AT&T lost out on me.

I'm no longer bound by any contract (now month-to-month)

So the minute something better comes up I am free to go. (Bad for AT&T)

Oh yeah - and I still have the unlimited data plan.

If AT&T had offered unlocking I would have gladly signed a new 2 year contract.

The same is true for the iPhone5.

Steve

Message 17 of 61 (1,266 Views)
ACE - Professor

swSteve wrote:

> None of which has anything to do with not unlocking an iPhone.

> You can choose a different device if you don't like the lock.

> Or you can choose to get a cheap world phone and use that whenever you want.

> You just can't choose to get a GSM iPhone in the US and expect it to get unlocked.

Well I chose to buy a factory unlocked iPhone 4.

I just had to go to Canada to do it.

At the Apple Store.

So AT&T lost out on me.

I'm no longer bound by any contract (now month-to-month)

So the minute something better comes up I am free to go. (Bad for AT&T)

Oh yeah - and I still have the unlimited data plan.

If AT&T had offered unlocking I would have gladly signed a new 2 year contract.

The same is true for the iPhone5.

Steve

Ok, so you got what you wanted... a world phone unlocked iPhone. What was your question again?

The misconception that the USA is the land of the free and that means corporations don't cater to their shareholders (you know, the people who actually own them), and have to give their customers whatever they demand is a common error in understanding.

You are free in this country to decide to buy whatever you choose. Companies are free to sell whatever they want. Government regulation can be viewed as impinging on freedom, since the government then decides what you can and cannot do. Less free.

But whatever. People forget that the free choice to NOT purchase what is offered IS a freedom.

Enjoy your phone.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 61 (1,255 Views)
Professor

swSteve wrote:

It is.  AT&T has the choice to not unlock your phone and you have the choice to take your business elsewhere.

Message 19 of 61 (1,243 Views)
Teacher

I meant to write (my typo...)

I thought USA was supposed to be the land where (we have) freedom of choice?

dwill wrote:

> It is.  AT&T has the choice to not unlock your phone and you have the choice to take your business elsewhere

Governments can be made to act on behalf of customers.

Indeed it was the Government (FCC) that forced AT&T, Verizon and all the rest

to let you keep your phone number when you change carriers. Remember that?

So the cell companies were no longer "free" to deny us number portability.

Mandatory unlocking will just be the next big rule to hit the industry.

So AT&T should just make the most of it now and turn it into a positive.

Like turning lemons into lemonade.

I doubt that GM would sell many cars if they used OnStar to lock out and disable vehicles that were not using

an approved brand of fuel or tires or whatever.

Of course, you are well within your rights and freedoms to believe otherwise.

Steve

Message 20 of 61 (1,193 Views)
ACE - Professor

swSteve wrote:

I meant to write (my typo...)

I thought USA was supposed to be the land where (we have) freedom of choice?

dwill wrote:

> It is.  AT&T has the choice to not unlock your phone and you have the choice to take your business elsewhere

Governments can be made to act on behalf of customers.

Indeed it was the Government (FCC) that forced AT&T, Verizon and all the rest

to let you keep your phone number when you change carriers. Remember that?

So the cell companies were no longer "free" to deny us number portability.

Mandatory unlocking will just be the next big rule to hit the industry.

So AT&T should just make the most of it now and turn it into a positive.

Like turning lemons into lemonade.

I doubt that GM would sell many cars if they used OnStar to lock out and disable vehicles that were not using

an approved brand of fuel or tires or whatever.

Of course, you are well within your rights and freedoms to believe otherwise.

Steve

Ok, so we understand you really wish someone would force AT&T to do what you want, since they clearly don't want to, nor are legally required to do it. Do you have any other questions for us fellow USERS of AT&T iPhones?

(On topic... the Verizon iPhone is locked to VZ CDMA service, and cannot be unlocked. VZ will NEVER unlock ANY phone they sell, to run on, for example, Sprint's CDMA network. Likewise, even if they did, Sprint will NEVER activate a CDMA phone that wasn't locked onto their (Sprint's) network. So, per your post's original premis, AT&T is 100% equal to VZ on the locking issue.)

Message 21 of 61 (1,398 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

Consider this: as soon as carriers are required to unlock phones by the government, we will all see prices rise.  Companies look at the total revenue stream of a product and if they cannot lock the phone to their network, they will make it up elsewhere.  We can choose to go elsewhere to negate their expected revenue stream.  We do have a choice.

You all are free to choose to go to a different carrier that may offer the terms you would like?  If you Choose to buy an iPhone, you now have two official options in the US and they each have similar rules.  If you do not like them then Choose a different network with a different phone.  Apple nor ATT nor Verizon is obiligated to sell you an iPhone to work under the rules that you want.  Regulations to unlock a phone do not really protect anyone and only drive up costs since there are other choices out there!  The consumer needs to also take responsiblity for educating them selves too.

See we do have freedom of choice in the US.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 22 of 61 (1,388 Views)

Glad you exercised your choice to get one from Canada.... But you do realize that the warranty/support is ONLY valid in Canada. So if you have any issues you will need to ship the phone to Canada, at your expense, to someone you know. They will need to get it to Apple for service. They will then need to ship it back to you... or you will be driving back and forth, which ever your freedom of choice allows.

Good Luck.

Message 23 of 61 (1,362 Views)
Teacher

Hey guys don't get steamed!

Good points are being raised here.

iPhone Warrior:

You raise a completely valid concern about the warranty. That's exactly why I'd much rather

be on contract with an unlocked AT&T iPhone instead.

johninsj:

Excellent point. Even if the Verizon iPhone were carrier unlocked, It would require active cooperation

from the destination CDMA carrier (SPRINT, METROPCS, etc) before the phone was usable. (unlikely)

AT&T should run an ad explaining the advantages of the GSM/SIM iPhone and why Verizon can't match it.

Unlocked iPhone: ONLY FROM AT&T. (Similar to the ads promoting simultaneous Voice and Data)

ADDED BONUS

==========

People would lose interest in jailbreaking iPhones.

Most of the jailbreaking crowd would stop screwing with iPhone firmware and

start working on APPS.

EXPLANATION OF MY TIMING

===================

What prompted my original post was the news that AT&T

was offering a variety of things to attract and retain

iPhone customers now that Verizon had the iPhone.

1. FREE BONUS 1000 minutes of Airtime (via text message offer)

2. New Unlimited DATA plan offers.

3. New Unlimited Mobile to Mobile calling.

4. WiFi hotspot feature to be offered same as Verizon.

5. Increased amount of data on tethering plans.

Suddenly AT&T are being flexible and creative in competing with Verizon.

That's why I suggested unlocking might be something they can trumpet

as an EXCLUSIVE AT&T advantage.

Steve

Message 24 of 61 (1,341 Views)
ACE - Professor

swSteve wrote:

That's why I suggested unlocking might be something they can trumpet

as an EXCLUSIVE AT&T advantage.

They don't need to - there are plenty of advantages to AT&T now, like roaming over most of the world, faster 3g, simultanious voice and data. The only people they will loose to VZ for the VZ iPhone don't care about unlocking, it's a non-issue. They'll leave to get VZ coverage, or VZ affinity discounts, or because they have family on VZ, or whatever... not because they can't unlock their GSM iPhone on AT&T.

It's not gonna happen. Really. Really really.

Message 25 of 61 (1,338 Views)
Teacher

johninsj wrote: It's not gonna happen. Really. Really really.

Nonsense.

Do you have any stock tips for us as well?

The minute T-Mobile offers an unlocked iPhone AT&T will offer the same thing.

Better to be in front of the curve.

Steve

Message 26 of 61 (1,320 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

swSteve wrote:

Steve

For T-Mobile to offer an unlocked iPhone, Apple has to let them sell it.  At that point, then ATT may rethink things.  Apple may not let T-Mobile sell an unlocked iPHone even if they want to.  Apple controls the software not the carriers and Apple has only provided unlocked iPhones in countries that require it by law.  And where required to unlock the iPhone by law, I would not be suprised to see the prices higher than then majority of the iPhone users want to pay.

Consider that ATT will allow you to get the unlock code for most of their other phones. The iPhone is excluded.  If you really want an iPhone that is unlocked in the US, you need to knock on Apple's door.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Message 27 of 61 (1,298 Views)
Teacher

youngjm wrote: Apple has only provided unlocked iPhones in countries that require it by law

Sorry but this is completely false.

Canada has no laws requiring phones to be unlocked.

The closest thing is some proposed legislation called the Cellphone Freedom Act. Look it up.

It is indeed the carriers who tell Apple what to do.

AT&T will keep prices competitive regardless of the locking policy.

Steve

Message 28 of 61 (1,282 Views)
Expert

youngjm wrote:

swSteve wrote:

Steve

For T-Mobile to offer an unlocked iPhone, Apple has to let them sell it.  At that point, then ATT may rethink things.  Apple may not let T-Mobile sell an unlocked iPHone even if they want to.  Apple controls the software not the carriers and Apple has only provided unlocked iPhones in countries that require it by law.  And where required to unlock the iPhone by law, I would not be suprised to see the prices higher than then majority of the iPhone users want to pay.

Consider that ATT will allow you to get the unlock code for most of their other phones. The iPhone is excluded.  If you really want an iPhone that is unlocked in the US, you need to knock on Apple's door.

seem to recall someone mentioning that T-Mobile does not have all the frequencies needed to fully support the iphone anyway

Message 29 of 61 (1,272 Views)
Master

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

swSteve wrote:

Steve

seem to recall someone mentioning that T-Mobile does not have all the frequencies needed to fully support the iphone anyway

My recolection too.  They overlap on the Edge and GPRS frequencies but T-Mobile is running their 3G on a different frequency than ATT.  They use the 1700/2100 bands.  The IPhone does support 2100 but I do not know how wide T-Mobile's coverage is in this band as I recall that they started out supporting 1700 in their roll-out.

Message 30 of 61 (1,264 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.