Should ATT unlock iPhones to Compete with Verizon?

Teacher

===================================

AT&T could offer to unlock customer iPhones to demonstrate

the advantage and versatility of having SIM-based phones.

Verizon phones have no SIM card and cannot be unlocked.

Would this help AT&T compete?

Steve

Message 1 of 61 (2,523 Views)
Professor

Re: Should ATT unlock iPhones to Compete with Verizon?

[ Edited ]

How would that "help" AT&T?  Unlocking them gives people incentive to leave AT&T for elsewhere.  Also, where else would they go?  T-Mobile is the only other big GSM carrier in the US, and their 3G frequency isn't supported by the iPhone.  Finally, how would this help AT&T "compete" with Verizon?  Their phones are locked too, so there is no advantage to Verizon on that.  Most of the people who say they are going to Verizon aren't going there because AT&T locks their phones.  It's for other reasons, mostly.

Message 2 of 61 (2,457 Views)
Teacher

Hi

I'll try this one point at a time and then suggest a new example.

POINT 1: Unlocking gives people incentive to leave AT&T

=======

I was very impressed 2 years ago when AT&T supplied the unlock code

for my AT&T SAMSUNG phone.

I needed to use the phone in Canada and they helped out.

My loyalty to AT&T increased as a result.

I experienced no sudden urge to change carriers once my phone was unlocked.

POINT 2: Where would they go?

======

As you say, T-mobile is not 3G data compatible with the iPhone.

The main point is that the phone would work better in other countries while traveling.

POINT 3: How would this help ATT since Verizon phones are locked as well?

======

By locking iPhones, AT&T rob themselves of a competitive advantage.

Just have a look at the internet and you can see a million people

each with their own reason for wanting their iPhone unlocked.

This is something AT&T CAN offer.

This is something Verizon CANNOT offer.

ADVANTAGE: AT&T

EXAMPLE

======

What happens when you travel with a VERIZON iPhone? (say, to Europe)

You don't. You leave it at home.

Verizon sends you a GSM iPhone with a SIM CARD and you are forced to

back up your VERIZON iPhone and restore it to the GSM iPhone just before you leave.

Once you return you are forced to repeat the entire process

in reverse.

The AT&T iPhone travels very well.

Just take it with you and use it.

Unlocked, it would be even MORE versatile.

Steve

Message 3 of 61 (2,384 Views)
ACE - Professor

swSteve wrote:

No, but they should give every iPhone owner a free manetee. After all, that should help them compete with an identical device on a network with a wash of pros and cons, for virtually the same montly service cost.

You'll never see an unlocked iPhone in the US market. Well, Never is pretty strong... you won't see an unlocked iPhone until just prior to the apocolypes.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 61 (2,371 Views)
Professor

Well, you say your loyalty to AT&T has increased.  But, if they had not given you the unlock code for your Samsung, would you have left AT&T?  Where would you have gone?  CDMA only Sprint or Verizon, which don't work on a GSM network, and so don't work in many other countries?  T-Mobile, which is GSM and can be used in many outside countries, but you lose 3G service while in the US.  While some people may not want to leave if their phone is unlocked, others probably would.  AT&T may have run the numbers and concluded that it's better for them to keep the phone locked to hold onto more customers.

The other point is, will this actually give AT&T a competitive advantage?  People don't seem to be defecting to Verizon in large numbers based on these stories.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/mobile/02/10/verizon.iphone/index.html

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/mobile/02/11/verizon.iphone.ireport/index.html?hpt=Sbin

There was a big rush for preorders a few weeks ago, but those orders were only for existing Verizon customers.  On Tuesday, people who weren't existing Verizon customers (i.e. the defectors) got their chance to jump ship, and the response seems to be underwhelming.  Those who are defecting seems to be doing so due to things like CS practices, poor coverage, and unlimited data (at the moment), not because AT&T won't unlock the phone.  I just don't think unlocking the phone will make much of a dent in the number of defectors.

While it's understandable that customers think it would be nice, I just don't see AT&T thinking it makes much business sense for them.

Message 5 of 61 (2,322 Views)
Professor

I'd love to have an unlocked iPhone if I could, especially when a two-year contract is up.  I use an unlocked Sony-Erisson when I travel overseas so I don't have to pay crazy roaming charges.  It would be really nice if I could travel with just an iPhone; but, it is too costly at the moment.

Message 6 of 61 (2,302 Views)

They should unlock iphones paid in full or once contract is complete because its the MORAL thing to do. It should be mandated by law, and why they havent been sued into the ground about it, I will never know

It was taken to court, att is required after 90 when asked, to give an unlock code for all phones except the stupid worthless iphone

Message 7 of 61 (2,273 Views)
Teacher

AT&T is a BRAND.

With shareholders.

Those in charge of AT&T must consider

the reputation of the brand when making policy decisions.

Consider:

1. AT&T Unlocking customer iPhones would not alter the contract in any way.

The contract must still be honored by both sides.

2. This is a LOCK placed on CUSTOMER PROPERTY.

The iPhone is NOT the property of AT&T.

This is a NEGATIVE for the brand.

3. Used iPhones are of no value to AT&T
  AT&T must rely on contracts, good service and cancellation fees to make money.

So why maintain a lock?

This is a another NEGATIVE for the brand.

4. Leaving money on the table by turning away good customers.

AT&T has an opportunity to distinguish itself by offering

a feature that VERIZON cannot match: an unlocked iPhone.

Many business customers who are International Travellers would

find it much more difficult to choose between VZ and T if

authorized unlocking was available.

Passing on this opportunity is a failure of company leadership

and makes Verizon the easy choice. (Bad for the STOCK)

5. A growing number of countries have outlawed phone locking for good reasons.

AT&T is on the WRONG SIDE of this issue and will eventually face legislation

forcing it to change its locking policies. (VERY BAD for the brand)

What Should AT&T Do about this?

======================

AT&T should pro-actively get in FRONT of this issue BEFORE

it blows up into more bad press.

Simply offer unlocking for a small fee or even free.

This is exactly what the formerly ALL-LOCKED ALL-THE TIME Canadian carriers have done.

This places them on the RIGHT SIDE of the issue.

It creates a POSITIVE and fair image for the brand.

It will attract some more sophisticated customers.

Better for the stock.

An overall win.

Steve

Message 8 of 61 (2,238 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

digitallysick wrote:

They should unlock iphones paid in full or once contract is complete because its the MORAL thing to do. It should be mandated by law, and why they havent been sued into the ground about it, I will never know

It was taken to court, att is required after 90 when asked, to give an unlock code for all phones except the stupid worthless iphone

sorry you are so off base it is not even funny. Add to the fact you claim about 90 is off base also. You might want to review the [keep it relevant and appropriate] that you are talking about to see the true requirements. Unlocking a pohne, no matter what phone has 0 to do with morals.

Message 9 of 61 (2,218 Views)
Professor

There have been many arguments here about what people believe is the right or moral thing for AT&T to do.  Mostly it's about people wanting something for themselves and not having any thought about what's in it for AT&T, other than making assumptions that it may be good for them too.  That may or may not be true, regardless of how logical or reasonable something may seem.  The reality is that AT&T, like Verizon and any other large company, is a business.  They do not exist to make everyone happy.  They exist to provide a service and make as much money as possible out of it.  They will change their practices only when THEY see their business negatively impacted and THEY believe a change will reverse that trend.  So far, the iPhones have been locked for the over 3 1/2 years of their existence and it doesn't seem to have affected their business in any measurable way.  And as long as the company is doing well, the shareholders are happy and will let AT&T keep running things as they see fit.  As for the legality of the locking, so far it has survived any challenge.  Remember, something that may seem morally wrong may not be illegal, and courts deal with matters of law.

Want to send a message to AT&T about unlocking?  Get about a million people to threaten to leave AT&T if they don't unlock their iPhone, and have them actually start leaving, and letting them know that's the reason.  That's the message that a company understands, not a bunch of posts about how AT&T should do the "right" thing.

Message 10 of 61 (2,206 Views)
ACE - Professor

digitallysick wrote:

No, you misread the case.

1) it is for PA residents only

2) it was for any phone where it was NOT MADE EXPLICIT that AT&T would NOT unlock the phone (hence, the iPhone was exempt EVEN IN THAT CASE... becase IT IS NOT ILLEGAL for a carrier to refuse to unlock a phone. So long as that's made clear before purchase.)

So, stop alread with bringing up that case... it actually only proves that AT&T is well within its right to do whatever it wants with respect to locking, so long as it is disclosed to you, the customer, before purchase. Which it is.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 61 (1,339 Views)
Scholar

As I have written in other posts. Read the Customer Service Agreement that you signed by reference (and agreed to) when you signed the Customer Service Summary. It clearly states when and under what conditions a smartphone will be unlocked, It also states categorically that an iPhone will not be unlocked.

Message 12 of 61 (1,333 Views)
Scholar

SIM card locking reminds me of way back when AT&T would put a phone in your home wired directly to the wall with no way to unplug it.

It wasn't until AT&T was forced to put jacks on the wall allowing people to plug in whatever device they wanted did this change.

I don't see getting a law passed forcing the cell companies to sell unlocked phones since no one is forcing someone to buy a locked phone. It's not like back when there was only one phone company and only one place to get your phone.

I imagine that at some point unlocked iPhones will become available, just not through AT&T, now that their exclusive iPhone deal has ended.

It's like back when I was with T-Mobile. They sold the Sony-Erricson at a cheap price locked or I could by the exact same phone without the T-Mobile brandying unlocked at a much higher price. Since I didn't need the phone to leave the country and wasn't going to use it on a different network I went with the cheaper locked one.

Message 13 of 61 (1,317 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

TerriZeee wrote:

SIM card locking reminds me of way back when AT&T would put a phone in your home wired directly to the wall with no way to unplug it.

It wasn't until AT&T was forced to put jacks on the wall allowing people to plug in whatever device they wanted did this change.

I don't see getting a law passed forcing the cell companies to sell unlocked phones since no one is forcing someone to buy a locked phone. It's not like back when there was only one phone company and only one place to get your phone.

I imagine that at some point unlocked iPhones will become available, just not through AT&T, now that their exclusive iPhone deal has ended.

It's like back when I was with T-Mobile. They sold the Sony-Erricson at a cheap price locked or I could by the exact same phone without the T-Mobile brandying unlocked at a much higher price. Since I didn't need the phone to leave the country and wasn't going to use it on a different network I went with the cheaper locked one.

Finally, someone else who remembers phones wired to the physical house!  My grandmother had that type of phone and my mother doesn't even remember it!

Message 14 of 61 (1,313 Views)
ACE - Master

21stNow wrote:
Finally, someone else who remembers phones wired to the physical house!  My grandmother had that type of phone and my mother doesn't even remember it!

Pardon the off-topic here, but I remember thise days too.  My parents had a hard wired phone, and it was even on a party line with 4 other houses.  Touch tomes weren't even an option at the time, it was only a rotary dial.

I *am* getting old,  Smiley Happy

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
Message 15 of 61 (1,295 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.