Short Term 3G Data Plan

Contributor

Short Term 3G Data Plan

Hi!

I travel twice a year to US and I'm spending a lot of money on roaming my Iphone around.

Is it possible to buy a short term 3G data plan to use on my Iphone when I'm in USA?

My Iphone is legally unlocked. Brazilian laws don't allow locked phones.

Thanks for any info,

Flavio

Message 1 of 4 (3,010 Views)
Master

Re: Short Term 3G Data Plan

Yes and no.  How long on average are you staying in the US for each visit that you need service for?  If your only talking a few weeks at a time then it might not be worth it.

With ATT, since you own your own device, you can technically set up service on a month-2-month basis without having to sign a contract.  However there will most likely be a deposit required each time which may make it a hassle.

Do you have to have data?  There are pre-paid options in the US (not necessarily ATT) that you can purchase and use since your device is unlocked.

Message 2 of 4 (3,009 Views)
Contributor

Thanks for replying.

Yes, I have to have data. 

Maybe even this 2 month plan you mentioned will be cheaper than what I'm paying for. Could you point me to an url with more details about it?

Thanks again,

Flavio

Message 3 of 4 (2,997 Views)
Master

Its not a 2 month plan.  Its a month-to-month (month-2-month) plan.  Basically you start service without any contract and you can cancel at any time.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=25390

AT&T Announces New Approach to Early Termination Fees

More Flexibility for Wireless Customers

San Antonio, Texas, March 31, 2008

AT&T (NYSE:T) today announced a new approach to early termination fees (ETFs) that provides greater flexibility for wireless customers.

Beginning on May 25, the company's new and renewing wireless customers who enter into one- or two-year service agreements will no longer be required to pay a single, flat early termination fee. Instead, that fee, which is $175, will be progressively lowered by $5 during each month, every month, for the term of the contract. (The single, flat ETF will continue to apply to new and renewing customers who enter into one- or two-year service agreements prior to May 25.)

The company noted that it continues to offer options for those customers who do not want term commitments or ETFs, including:

* Buy a phone at full price and go on a month-to-month service plan.
* Bring your own compatible GSM device. With this option, you can buy a SIM (subscriber identity module), slip it into the back of the phone, and select a month-to-month service plan.
* Choose one of AT&T's GoPhone prepaid wireless plans.

Message 4 of 4 (2,963 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.