Service Not Accurate

Contributor

Service Not Accurate

I was going to get Kajeet.com service for my child, but I liked that ATT's coverage map was better. However, I still may change service because the Family Map is not all it's cracked up to be.  Family Map can only give you ranges, this morning I was testing the service out in an open park setting and it tracked it within 2.2 MILES.  What's the point? She could have been across the river in another county.  I called the customer service and they told me the Samsung Strive was not a supported phone, however the Samsung website shows it has AGPS.  I called the store and they encouraged me to come in, which I did.  I showed him what my smart phone was reporting for the Samsung, it showed us ACROSS THE STREET.  He said,"Yep, that's about as good as the service is."  I encouraged him not to sell the service because it is not reliable.  I wish I had some encouraging news that the service would get better but I may have to go back to my original plan of Kajeet.com for kids.

Message 1 of 13 (3,375 Views)

Re: Service Not Accurate

How Accurate is FamilyMap?

 

AT&T FamilyMap uses a number of techniques to determine a phone’s location. AT&T phones that have GPS return the most accurate locations when they have a clear line of sight to GPS satellites. For example, when the phone is outside or is in a car or near a window. For phones where A-GPS is not available, FamilyMap uses cell tower information to provide the most accurate location possible, which is usually within a few hundred yards to a few miles of the phone’s actual location. This includes iPhones, non A-GPS phones, as well as A-GPS phones that are not in a clear line of sight to GPS satellites. In some situations, AT&T FamilyMap is not able to locate a phone. The most common reasons are:

 

  • The phone is powered off. 
  • The phone's battery has run out.
  • The phone is not in an AT&T coverage area.

 


I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 13 (3,289 Views)
Contributor

Re: Service Not Accurate

I've tried this as well with the phone on, battery fully chaged, outside, with a strong signal. Service says I'm in Central Asia. At the time I was in Central New Jersey.

Message 3 of 13 (3,249 Views)
Teacher

Re: Service Not Accurate

The only time this service is even close to being accurate is if you are in 3g coverage and have the phone out the window. Even if it has gps on it AT&T will not use the gps unless it is in 3g coverage. This service is horrible. I have 2 Iphones on it, live outside 3g coverage and am lucky to get a 1mi radius. Completely worthless. The only time it is accurate is in 3g coverage and even then I would only give it a 30% chance its right.

Come on AT&T! Start providing the service you are advertising and people are paying for. Even on the edge network you could get the on phone gps to relay the coordinates.

There really is no excuse for such poor service.

 

Message 4 of 13 (3,220 Views)
Professor

Re: Service Not Accurate

xlardogx, the FamilyMaps FAQ says that the Apple iPhone does not use GPS, but just uses tower triangulation which is why you may be seeing more general location results. With tower-based locating, the more towers in the area, the more accurate it will be, so more rural areas with less towers will have less accuracy.

 


I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 13 (3,216 Views)
Teacher

Re: Service Not Accurate

Well DUH!,  Like I said it not accurate and its worthless!!!. The problem I have is AT&T refusess to fix the problem that is well within their ability to fix! So get someone on it and fix it!

 

Message 6 of 13 (3,212 Views)
Professor

Re: Service Not Accurate

 


xlardogx wrote:

Well DUH!,  Like I said it not accurate and its worthless!!!. The problem I have is AT&T refusess to fix the problem that is well within their ability to fix! So get someone on it and fix it!

 


I am not entirely sure what problem you are referring to. Do you want the iPhone to be able to use GPS location services? That is not currently a feature of FamilyMaps. MobileMe might be a better service for you, in that case.

 

 


I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 13 (3,206 Views)
Teacher

Re: Service Not Accurate

 

95% of the people that buy a phone that has GPS on it, assume that if the carrier wanted to find the phone, they could. I know sprint has a better location service. My friend lost his Sprint phone and the located in a convenient store bathroom.  AT&T might have been able to narrow it down to a city block.

Message 8 of 13 (3,203 Views)
Contributor

Re: Service Not Accurate

I have two iPhones and assumed that AT&T would use the built in location services that are extremely accurate in my area. I was very disappointed to see how far this "location" service really is.

 

I can use the mobile me find my phone and it is spot on, but is more cumbersome to use, having to log in out of accounts etc.

 

Why is AT&T not using apples location services on the iphone?

Message 9 of 13 (3,181 Views)
Contributor

Re: Service Not Accurate

I have been having the same problem my daughter has the Samsung Impression which is sopposed to have gps but so far it is only locating by triangulation.  So the survice that is supposed to txt me when she arrives at home or at school doesn't work.  The txt I get tells me that she can not be located or is at some randum place which is 4-5 miles away from where she should be.  It not giving me peace of mind and so far not worth $10 a month. 

 

I agree with the other posts that the phone should be able to be located with accurace.  If I can open google maps and and have it show a blue dot giving my presice location why can't you get the family maping to work the way you are advertising?  By the way it should be by law for 911.  I hope you guy figure it out.

Message 10 of 13 (2,258 Views)
Employee

Re: Service Not Accurate

 


schhmom wrote:

I have been having the same problem my daughter has the Samsung Impression which is sopposed to have gps but so far it is only locating by triangulation.  So the survice that is supposed to txt me when she arrives at home or at school doesn't work.  The txt I get tells me that she can not be located or is at some randum place which is 4-5 miles away from where she should be.  It not giving me peace of mind and so far not worth $10 a month. 

 

I agree with the other posts that the phone should be able to be located with accurace.  If I can open google maps and and have it show a blue dot giving my presice location why can't you get the family maping to work the way you are advertising?  By the way it should be by law for 911.  I hope you guy figure it out.


android phones have a feature called Latitude that will show their location on Google Maps, in case you wanted to know if she ever wants to upgrade her device.

 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 11 of 13 (743 Views)
Contributor

Re: Service Not Accurate

mine said my daughter was in antartica!! so?? i'm very confused as to the accuracy and how the heck it does something so OUT there!
Message 12 of 13 (726 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Service Not Accurate


sacborgs wrote:

I was going to get Kajeet.com service for my child, but I liked that ATT's coverage map was better. However, I still may change service because the Family Map is not all it's cracked up to be.  Family Map can only give you ranges, this morning I was testing the service out in an open park setting and it tracked it within 2.2 MILES.  What's the point? She could have been across the river in another county.  I called the customer service and they told me the Samsung Strive was not a supported phone, however the Samsung website shows it has AGPS.  I called the store and they encouraged me to come in, which I did.  I showed him what my smart phone was reporting for the Samsung, it showed us ACROSS THE STREET.  He said,"Yep, that's about as good as the service is."  I encouraged him not to sell the service because it is not reliable.  I wish I had some encouraging news that the service would get better but I may have to go back to my original plan of Kajeet.com for kids.


I was wondering about that as well

Message 13 of 13 (712 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.