Posted Aug 28, 2009
10:31:36 AM
View profile
Sending Text Message to Syria

Hello,

I am trying to send text message to friends in Syria....but I keep getting "error invalid number please resend using a valid 10-digit mobile number or valid short code"..I always get the error message regardless of the number I send the text to...

I have spoken with AT&T Technical Support and they could not help as well...I tried all kind of format to send inlcuding what was recommended by AT&T Rep, but nothing worked. I have asked friend who also has AT&T and when he tried to send the message he got the same error.

The strange thing is that I am able to receive text message from my friends in Syria and I have another friend who has T-Mobile that is able to send text messages to Syria with no problem....even to the same numbers I am trying to text.

AT&T Rep indicated that the problem might be with Carrier in Syria (MTN) which might blocking messages from AT&T which I doubt but could be true.

Has anyone had experience with this problem before...I am at the point of thinking about changing my entire family plan to T-Mobile.

Hello,

I am trying to send text message to friends in Syria....but I keep getting "error invalid number please resend using a valid 10-digit mobile number or valid short code"..I always get the error message regardless of the number I send the text to...

I have spoken with AT&T Technical Support and they could not help as well...I tried all kind of format to send inlcuding what was recommended by AT&T Rep, but nothing worked. I have asked friend who also has AT&T and when he tried to send the message he got the same error.

The strange thing is that I am able to receive text message from my friends in Syria and I have another friend who has T-Mobile that is able to send text messages to Syria with no problem....even to the same numbers I am trying to text.

AT&T Rep indicated that the problem might be with Carrier in Syria (MTN) which might blocking messages from AT&T which I doubt but could be true.

Has anyone had experience with this problem before...I am at the point of thinking about changing my entire family plan to T-Mobile.

Sending Text Message to Syria

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2009 12:02:35 PM
(0)
It seemed that AT&T has blocked Text Messaging to Syria...
It seemed that AT&T has blocked Text Messaging to Syria...

Re: Sending Text Message to Syria

2 of 7 (3,369 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2009 8:22:28 PM
(0)
Guru
Unfortunately AT&T does NOT support testing to Syria at this time. There is only support for 160 countries and Syria is not on the list. 
Unfortunately AT&T does NOT support testing to Syria at this time. There is only support for 160 countries and Syria is not on the list. 

3 of 7 (3,340 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2009 8:44:04 PM
(0)
Teacher

ipk316 wrote:
Thats 100% true.:smileywink:

ipk316 wrote:
Thats 100% true.:smileywink:

4 of 7 (3,304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2009 5:12:40 AM
(0)
Guru
Can your friend text you from Syria?  If you have a smart phone, sign up for Fishtext (www.fishtext.com).  It is a third party SMS service which should be able to text to Syria and will insert your ATT number in the return field. 
Can your friend text you from Syria?  If you have a smart phone, sign up for Fishtext (www.fishtext.com).  It is a third party SMS service which should be able to text to Syria and will insert your ATT number in the return field. 

5 of 7 (3,290 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2009 8:39:29 AM
(0)

Currently I am waiting on a response from AT&T to see if any changes can be made....because the Rep told me that he will escalate the issue....but I think I have a better chance getting struck by lightning.

Anywa...I will wait and see the outcome and I hope AT&T will open the texting service unless this more political than technical. But my last option might be to switch to T-Mobile the entire family plan/lines.

Currently I am waiting on a response from AT&T to see if any changes can be made....because the Rep told me that he will escalate the issue....but I think I have a better chance getting struck by lightning.

Anywa...I will wait and see the outcome and I hope AT&T will open the texting service unless this more political than technical. But my last option might be to switch to T-Mobile the entire family plan/lines.

6 of 7 (3,278 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2009 4:28:03 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have had the same problem for several years now.  It used to work in 2005 and 2006.  I don't know exactly when it stopped working, but I think it has been about about two years.    

I also can receive text messages from Syria, but no matter how I type in the number I cannot send them (even if I reply directly to the message).  I originally thought I was entering the numbers wrong (it was also about two years ago when mobile numbers in Syria added an extra digit) - but now even with the correct numbers it still does not work.  Nextel does not work either. 

I also hope they can fix this problem as it is rather irritating, especially when it used to work just fine.  I have had this account for at least nine years and I have noticed that the service itself and the customer service is not as good as it used to be when it was originally Cingular. 

I have had the same problem for several years now.  It used to work in 2005 and 2006.  I don't know exactly when it stopped working, but I think it has been about about two years.    

I also can receive text messages from Syria, but no matter how I type in the number I cannot send them (even if I reply directly to the message).  I originally thought I was entering the numbers wrong (it was also about two years ago when mobile numbers in Syria added an extra digit) - but now even with the correct numbers it still does not work.  Nextel does not work either. 

I also hope they can fix this problem as it is rather irritating, especially when it used to work just fine.  I have had this account for at least nine years and I have noticed that the service itself and the customer service is not as good as it used to be when it was originally Cingular. 

7 of 7 (3,088 Views)