Sending Text Message to Syria

Mentor

Sending Text Message to Syria

Hello,

I am trying to send text message to friends in Syria....but I keep getting "error invalid number please resend using a valid 10-digit mobile number or valid short code"..I always get the error message regardless of the number I send the text to...

I have spoken with AT&T Technical Support and they could not help as well...I tried all kind of format to send inlcuding what was recommended by AT&T Rep, but nothing worked. I have asked friend who also has AT&T and when he tried to send the message he got the same error.

The strange thing is that I am able to receive text message from my friends in Syria and I have another friend who has T-Mobile that is able to send text messages to Syria with no problem....even to the same numbers I am trying to text.

AT&T Rep indicated that the problem might be with Carrier in Syria (MTN) which might blocking messages from AT&T which I doubt but could be true.

Has anyone had experience with this problem before...I am at the point of thinking about changing my entire family plan to T-Mobile.

Message 1 of 7 (3,415 Views)
Mentor

Re: Sending Text Message to Syria

It seemed that AT&T has blocked Text Messaging to Syria...
Message 2 of 7 (3,407 Views)
Guru

Unfortunately AT&T does NOT support testing to Syria at this time. There is only support for 160 countries and Syria is not on the list. 
Message 3 of 7 (3,378 Views)
Teacher

ipk316 wrote:
Unfortunately AT&T does NOT support testing to Syria at this time. There is only support for 160 countries and Syria is not on the list. 
Thats 100% true.:smileywink:

Message 4 of 7 (3,342 Views)
Guru

Can your friend text you from Syria?  If you have a smart phone, sign up for Fishtext (www.fishtext.com).  It is a third party SMS service which should be able to text to Syria and will insert your ATT number in the return field. 
Message 5 of 7 (3,328 Views)
Mentor

Currently I am waiting on a response from AT&T to see if any changes can be made....because the Rep told me that he will escalate the issue....but I think I have a better chance getting struck by lightning.

Anywa...I will wait and see the outcome and I hope AT&T will open the texting service unless this more political than technical. But my last option might be to switch to T-Mobile the entire family plan/lines.

Message 6 of 7 (3,316 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

I have had the same problem for several years now.  It used to work in 2005 and 2006.  I don't know exactly when it stopped working, but I think it has been about about two years.    

I also can receive text messages from Syria, but no matter how I type in the number I cannot send them (even if I reply directly to the message).  I originally thought I was entering the numbers wrong (it was also about two years ago when mobile numbers in Syria added an extra digit) - but now even with the correct numbers it still does not work.  Nextel does not work either. 

I also hope they can fix this problem as it is rather irritating, especially when it used to work just fine.  I have had this account for at least nine years and I have noticed that the service itself and the customer service is not as good as it used to be when it was originally Cingular. 

Message 7 of 7 (3,126 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.