Security Deposit

Contributor

Security Deposit

So I plan on upgrading to the 3G S and going on a contract, but the security deposit is $750. Smiley Surprised

I've had my Pick your plan, pay as you go, on auto-pay since I've had my phone (14 months, or more) and I'm willing to sign up for auto-pay for the length of the 2 year contract; can anyone help me out with suggestions on how to get that $750 reduced or eliminated?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 11 (42,728 Views)
Contributor

Re: Security Deposit

Or does anyone know the Security Deposit process... such as do I get that back after 6 months or the 12 months of good payment?
Message 2 of 11 (42,720 Views)

Wow, don't you  have credit card?  Is that why they want a security deposit?  I never heard of this before?  Anyone else?
Message 3 of 11 (42,691 Views)

The only way that I can think of is having a co-signer. I had to put an additional $500 down for my iPhone 3G in which I will receive after 12 months for good payments..
Message 4 of 11 (42,679 Views)

I paid off my $300 dollar AT&T bill (Cingular back then) from 2004 in late Febuary and decided to apply for new service and was told that I needed to pay a $750 dollar deposit.  And then I tried applying again last night and pre-ordered the new 3G S and was approved with no deposit required.  I'm guessing I got the green light this time was because I just purchased a new home and my credit score was lifted. 
Message 5 of 11 (42,629 Views)
Master

invalidbassist wrote:

So I plan on upgrading to the 3G S and going on a contract, but the security deposit is $750. Smiley Surprised

I've had my Pick your plan, pay as you go, on auto-pay since I've had my phone (14 months, or more) and I'm willing to sign up for auto-pay for the length of the 2 year contract; can anyone help me out with suggestions on how to get that $750 reduced or eliminated?

Thanks!

If you don't have good credit history OR if you have NO credit history, AT&T will make you pay a security deposit.

The cost of the deposit varies from person to person and depends on a lot of things. If you've ever been late or defaulted on a CC payment, it's unlikely AT&T will lift or change the deposit amount.

As stated by another poster, you'll get your deposit back after 12 months of excellent payment history with AT&T. If you're late or miss payments during that time, they'll extend the time they hold your deposit.

Message 6 of 11 (42,603 Views)
Expert

Jgreeny220 wrote:
The only way that I can think of is having a co-signer. I had to put an additional $500 down for my iPhone 3G in which I will receive after 12 months for good payments..

Attm does not do co-signers unfortuantely.
Message 7 of 11 (42,441 Views)
Contributor

Ive seen several post about a security deposit to get an iphone. So If I am not a current AT&T customer and have bad credit, does that mean I have to pay a deposit to get att service and an additional deposit for the iphone?

Message 8 of 11 (39,503 Views)
Master

If you're already a postpaid customer in good standing, you shouldn't have to put down any additional money to get an iPhone.

SLC2010 wrote:

Ive seen several post about a security deposit to get an iphone. So If I am not a current AT&T customer and have bad credit, does that mean I have to pay a deposit to get att service and an additional deposit for the iphone?

Message 9 of 11 (39,431 Views)
Former Moderator

Message 10 of 11 (26,859 Views)
Former Moderator

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multipleposts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 11 of 11 (23,099 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.