Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 15, 2011
9:11:32 AM
View profile
Second Microcell

I have an AT&T microcell on the east side of my house. On the west side, I get one or no bars (only a 2000 ft.² house). I was thinking of getting a second microcell to put on the west side. I spoke with AT&T technical support and they told me a couple of things that seem to conflict with other discussion forum websites. They told me:

I can connect to the second microcell to the ethernet port on a wireless signal extender (in this case, an Apple Airport Express). They tell me it does not have to be directly connected to the router.  I haven't seen anything posted on this.

I was also told that within the house, if I move, that the call will be handed off from one microcell to the other, seamlessly.  This is in conflict with what I have seen on other discussion boards.

Also, I paid $150 for my initial microcell. Since then, a number of friends and neighbors have gotten tears at the local AT&T store for free. Has anyone know why some people have to pay, and others get it for free?

Any help would be appreciated.

I have an AT&T microcell on the east side of my house. On the west side, I get one or no bars (only a 2000 ft.² house). I was thinking of getting a second microcell to put on the west side. I spoke with AT&T technical support and they told me a couple of things that seem to conflict with other discussion forum websites. They told me:

I can connect to the second microcell to the ethernet port on a wireless signal extender (in this case, an Apple Airport Express). They tell me it does not have to be directly connected to the router.  I haven't seen anything posted on this.

I was also told that within the house, if I move, that the call will be handed off from one microcell to the other, seamlessly.  This is in conflict with what I have seen on other discussion boards.

Also, I paid $150 for my initial microcell. Since then, a number of friends and neighbors have gotten tears at the local AT&T store for free. Has anyone know why some people have to pay, and others get it for free?

Second Microcell

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2011 4:00:43 PM
(0)
Guru

You can conceivably connect your Microcell to any Internet connected Ethernet network. However, if your transport mechanism of choice has excessive packet loss or insufficient bandwidth, you'll wind up with bad service. Of course, you might wind up with bad service anyway, the Microcell being what it is.

Calls will not hand off between two Microcells. If you leave the area of a Microcell while on a call, it will hand out to the macro network or be dropped. If an AT&T employee told you they would hand-off, then they are either misinformed or lying.

There is no pattern whatsoever as to who or how you get the Microcell for free.

You can conceivably connect your Microcell to any Internet connected Ethernet network. However, if your transport mechanism of choice has excessive packet loss or insufficient bandwidth, you'll wind up with bad service. Of course, you might wind up with bad service anyway, the Microcell being what it is.

Calls will not hand off between two Microcells. If you leave the area of a Microcell while on a call, it will hand out to the macro network or be dropped. If an AT&T employee told you they would hand-off, then they are either misinformed or lying.

There is no pattern whatsoever as to who or how you get the Microcell for free.

Re: Second Microcell

2 of 7 (394 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2011 10:57:37 AM
(0)
Guru

bff426 wrote:

At one point I tried using two MicroCells to cover our entire house.  One MC was at each end of the house.   No problem connecting both MC's to my router using appropriate length Cat 5.

However...unless it's changed, a call would not hand-off from one MC to the other.  In fact, if the MC was connected to one MC, even without being on a call, and I walked to the other end of the house, chances are my phone would just stay connected to the further MC it was originally connected to, defeating the purpose of having two cells.

I eventually found a better solution by locating one MC in the center of our house.  We now have good enough coverage throughout our home.  I'd suggest trying to locate your MC in the middle of your house before going for a second unit.

bff426 wrote:

At one point I tried using two MicroCells to cover our entire house.  One MC was at each end of the house.   No problem connecting both MC's to my router using appropriate length Cat 5.

However...unless it's changed, a call would not hand-off from one MC to the other.  In fact, if the MC was connected to one MC, even without being on a call, and I walked to the other end of the house, chances are my phone would just stay connected to the further MC it was originally connected to, defeating the purpose of having two cells.

I eventually found a better solution by locating one MC in the center of our house.  We now have good enough coverage throughout our home.  I'd suggest trying to locate your MC in the middle of your house before going for a second unit.

3 of 7 (374 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2011 12:44:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

That's what we did. Located our MicroCell in almost the middle of the house next to a window. We get coverage all throughout the house and even on our property outside (front/back yard) with no issues.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

That's what we did. Located our MicroCell in almost the middle of the house next to a window. We get coverage all throughout the house and even on our property outside (front/back yard) with no issues.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 7 (370 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2011 1:35:17 PM
(0)
Tutor

That's pretty much what I have concluded. I've ordered the Cisco antenna extender, and will relocate the microcell near the center of the house with the antenna extender covering the window. Thanks for your help!

That's pretty much what I have concluded. I've ordered the Cisco antenna extender, and will relocate the microcell near the center of the house with the antenna extender covering the window. Thanks for your help!

5 of 7 (364 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2011 2:05:57 PM
(0)
Guru

If you haven't already, you might try the location you have in mind without the GPS antenna extender. 

My MC is located on a corner in our den that is not immediately adjacent to a window.  I'd guess it's probably 10 feet from that spot to the window.  When I was experimenting early on I also tried the MC in our basement, again not near any window.  No problem acquiring satellite signal there either.

You won't know if yours will work without the external antenna without giving it a try.

Good luck.

If you haven't already, you might try the location you have in mind without the GPS antenna extender. 

My MC is located on a corner in our den that is not immediately adjacent to a window.  I'd guess it's probably 10 feet from that spot to the window.  When I was experimenting early on I also tried the MC in our basement, again not near any window.  No problem acquiring satellite signal there either.

You won't know if yours will work without the external antenna without giving it a try.

Good luck.

6 of 7 (361 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2011 2:12:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks. I had seen a couple posts on other boards where people said they did that, and it worked. A few of them, however, said that they would suddenly lose the connection, and have to go through the satellite acquisition process again. I thought I would forestall it by spending $23 on the extender at Amazon.

Better than the $150 for a second microcell, that apparently wouldn't do what I wanted to do anyway.

Thanks. I had seen a couple posts on other boards where people said they did that, and it worked. A few of them, however, said that they would suddenly lose the connection, and have to go through the satellite acquisition process again. I thought I would forestall it by spending $23 on the extender at Amazon.

Better than the $150 for a second microcell, that apparently wouldn't do what I wanted to do anyway.

7 of 7 (358 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments