Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 24, 2012
8:59:41 AM
View profile
Screwed outta my last upgrade
Been a customer for 4 years now. 2 years ago I broke my original iphone. It was 1 month before I was legible for an upgrade and I had to pay full price for a 3GS. This somehow reset my upgradability and just now I'm finally able to get signup pricing on a new phone. I don't want to upgrade to a 4GS and then not be legible for the iphone 5, but my phone is developing issues... Is AT&T able to bump up my next upgrade date or should I just get my new phone through a different carrier for the same price and better coverage?
Been a customer for 4 years now. 2 years ago I broke my original iphone. It was 1 month before I was legible for an upgrade and I had to pay full price for a 3GS. This somehow reset my upgradability and just now I'm finally able to get signup pricing on a new phone. I don't want to upgrade to a 4GS and then not be legible for the iphone 5, but my phone is developing issues... Is AT&T able to bump up my next upgrade date or should I just get my new phone through a different carrier for the same price and better coverage?

Screwed outta my last upgrade

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2012 9:20:18 AM
(0)
Expert

Snowest wrote:

20 / 24 months is the upgrade policy, if you use it now you will not be able to get the as of yet unannouced iphone 5 if it comes out this year or in the next two years.

Unless you paid around 650.00 (Seem to recall the 8GB 3GS was that)  for the iphone 3GS I suspect that at 1 month to upgrade you paid the surcharge + the upgrade cost (discounted price of 199.00 for 8GB + early upgrade surcharge - 249.00 prior to 4/4/11, 299.00 after)

Not sure what you think you will get if you go to another carriers, Sprint and Verizon have the same 2 year upgrade policy, you get a new phone on startup, you get to wait 2 years before you get the discounted price, T-Mobile still does not have the iphone

Snowest wrote:

20 / 24 months is the upgrade policy, if you use it now you will not be able to get the as of yet unannouced iphone 5 if it comes out this year or in the next two years.

Unless you paid around 650.00 (Seem to recall the 8GB 3GS was that)  for the iphone 3GS I suspect that at 1 month to upgrade you paid the surcharge + the upgrade cost (discounted price of 199.00 for 8GB + early upgrade surcharge - 249.00 prior to 4/4/11, 299.00 after)

Not sure what you think you will get if you go to another carriers, Sprint and Verizon have the same 2 year upgrade policy, you get a new phone on startup, you get to wait 2 years before you get the discounted price, T-Mobile still does not have the iphone

Re: Screwed outta my last upgrade

2 of 5 (881 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2012 5:20:48 AM
(0)
Guru
If I were you I'd by a used phone on Ebay, this way your upgrade date will not change. You did get screwed 2 yrs ago - if you pay full price for a phone you should not lose your upgrade. AT$T's own website calls it NO COMMITMENT PRICING…
If I were you I'd by a used phone on Ebay, this way your upgrade date will not change. You did get screwed 2 yrs ago - if you pay full price for a phone you should not lose your upgrade. AT$T's own website calls it NO COMMITMENT PRICING…

3 of 5 (711 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2012 6:27:33 AM
(0)
Expert

harryspar wrote:

1 month before they probably payed the discounted upgrade price + the surcharge and not the full retail price, the op never reponded so you have no idea what happened. If they paid the discounted + surcharge it does trigger a two year commitment.

harryspar wrote:

1 month before they probably payed the discounted upgrade price + the surcharge and not the full retail price, the op never reponded so you have no idea what happened. If they paid the discounted + surcharge it does trigger a two year commitment.

4 of 5 (707 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2012 8:55:26 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Snowest wrote:

If you paid full price (not subsized for a new phone, your eligibility date should not have changed. If however, you paid a lower price; you would have started a new two year contract. 

If you'd like me to have someone give you a call to review your account, I'd be happy to set that up. Please make sure that you have your receipt for the 3GS you purchased handy and send me a private message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you.

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Snowest wrote:

If you paid full price (not subsized for a new phone, your eligibility date should not have changed. If however, you paid a lower price; you would have started a new two year contract. 

If you'd like me to have someone give you a call to review your account, I'd be happy to set that up. Please make sure that you have your receipt for the 3GS you purchased handy and send me a private message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you.

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 5 (703 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments