Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 30, 2011
11:43:02 AM
View profile
Screen bigger, but resolution worse

"The CNET outlet in France, meanwhile, reports that the new dimensions of the iPhone 5 are 960x540 pixels and be between 4.2 and 4.3 inches diagonally. The iPhone 4 has a 3.5-inch display with 960x640 pixels."

Screen specs

"The CNET outlet in France, meanwhile, reports that the new dimensions of the iPhone 5 are 960x540 pixels and be between 4.2 and 4.3 inches diagonally. The iPhone 4 has a 3.5-inch display with 960x640 pixels."

Screen specs

Screen bigger, but resolution worse

25 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(25)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2011 12:05:29 PM
(0)
Master

All speculation and .........  Wait until tuesday before passing judgement on what is true and if it is better or not.

Remember that Apple is big about the customer experience and they made a big deal about the clarity of the Retina display so before it is judged to be worse, let's see what they really do!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

All speculation and .........  Wait until tuesday before passing judgement on what is true and if it is better or not.

Remember that Apple is big about the customer experience and they made a big deal about the clarity of the Retina display so before it is judged to be worse, let's see what they really do!

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Screen bigger, but resolution worse

2 of 26 (1,338 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2011 3:04:38 PM
(0)
Professor

youngjm wrote:

+1 to that reply.

youngjm wrote:

+1 to that reply.

hello!!!

3 of 26 (1,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2011 3:52:16 PM
(0)
Professor

Agree.  It's been announced that Apple will be talking about the iPhone on Oct. 4, less than a week away.  I can't understand these media types that just can't wait and feel they have to scoop everyone with what may be a rumor that turns out to be completely untrue.  Most likely next Tuesday all will be reveiled.  Since no one can order a new phone before then, I don't see the value of keeping the rumor mill churning.  People are going to buy or not buy on what is actually announced.  They aren't going to make any decision based on some rumor put out a week or so earlier.

Agree.  It's been announced that Apple will be talking about the iPhone on Oct. 4, less than a week away.  I can't understand these media types that just can't wait and feel they have to scoop everyone with what may be a rumor that turns out to be completely untrue.  Most likely next Tuesday all will be reveiled.  Since no one can order a new phone before then, I don't see the value of keeping the rumor mill churning.  People are going to buy or not buy on what is actually announced.  They aren't going to make any decision based on some rumor put out a week or so earlier.

4 of 26 (1,308 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2011 4:33:00 PM
(0)
Expert

Why can't you buy an iPhone on the day it's announced?

5 of 26 (1,301 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2011 6:08:53 AM
(0)
Professor

spd2demun wrote:

yea that would be nice of apple to offer the new Iphone for sale the same it is announced.

spd2demun wrote:

yea that would be nice of apple to offer the new Iphone for sale the same it is announced.
hello!!!

6 of 26 (1,263 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2011 11:57:21 AM
(0)
Scholar
When Apple reports, then I will believe it.
When Apple reports, then I will believe it.

7 of 26 (1,246 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2011 2:16:39 PM
(0)
Professor
I would be extremely surprised if they allowed ordering on the day of the announcement. If history is a guide, they will tell you the day preordering will start. They need to get their servers set up for the onslaught, and so do the carriers who are going to be carrying the phone.
I would be extremely surprised if they allowed ordering on the day of the announcement. If history is a guide, they will tell you the day preordering will start. They need to get their servers set up for the onslaught, and so do the carriers who are going to be carrying the phone.

8 of 26 (1,234 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2011 3:36:11 PM
(0)
Expert

I still don't understand why they operate this way, and people allow it. Smiley Sad

I still don't understand why they operate this way, and people allow it. Smiley Sad

9 of 26 (1,226 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2011 7:04:56 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by dwill05 on Oct 1, 2011 at 7:05:39 PM

spd2demun wrote:

What do you mean?  Why they might not allow preordering on the day they announce?  Maybe they want to get their ordering system set up for the rush, or have people focus on and digest their presentation rather than everyone hitting the Apple website to order the second Tim Cook walks on stage.  Who knows?  They're the ones making and selling the phone, so I guess they can announce one day and start taking preorders another day.

Not sure what you mean by people "allowing" it?  What should they do?  Riot outside Apple HQ and demand that they allow preoreding the day they announce?  It's just a cell phone.  What does it matter if they start taking preorders Oct 4 or Oct 14?

spd2demun wrote:

What do you mean?  Why they might not allow preordering on the day they announce?  Maybe they want to get their ordering system set up for the rush, or have people focus on and digest their presentation rather than everyone hitting the Apple website to order the second Tim Cook walks on stage.  Who knows?  They're the ones making and selling the phone, so I guess they can announce one day and start taking preorders another day.

Not sure what you mean by people "allowing" it?  What should they do?  Riot outside Apple HQ and demand that they allow preoreding the day they announce?  It's just a cell phone.  What does it matter if they start taking preorders Oct 4 or Oct 14?

[ Edited ]
10 of 26 (1,208 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2011 9:29:33 PM
(0)
Expert

I mean I don't understand why Apple people put up with waiting;  their products aren't that special...not trying to start a flame war! Smiley Sad  (We have several Apple products already.)

I might be interested in a iP for another family member, but on the announcement day, I can't even pick one up in the store, probably not even see one in person. Smiley Sad

Apple was bigger than Exxon for a few days,  I think they could get their act together and have plenty of stock on-hand since they feel the iP is so popular.  I don't like their business model, that's all.

Just wish they'd stop the hype and deliver on announcement day.  I won't buy anything sight-unseen just because a certain company makes it.  Like you say, it's just a cell phone. Smiley Very Happy

I will be interested in hearing what previous gen-users have to say about the new one(s), though.

Peace. Smiley Wink

I mean I don't understand why Apple people put up with waiting;  their products aren't that special...not trying to start a flame war! Smiley Sad  (We have several Apple products already.)

I might be interested in a iP for another family member, but on the announcement day, I can't even pick one up in the store, probably not even see one in person. Smiley Sad

Apple was bigger than Exxon for a few days,  I think they could get their act together and have plenty of stock on-hand since they feel the iP is so popular.  I don't like their business model, that's all.

Just wish they'd stop the hype and deliver on announcement day.  I won't buy anything sight-unseen just because a certain company makes it.  Like you say, it's just a cell phone. Smiley Very Happy

I will be interested in hearing what previous gen-users have to say about the new one(s), though.

Peace. Smiley Wink

11 of 26 (1,096 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 12:58:08 PM
(0)
Master

They hype and the wait is part of their model. I don't think you can get an Amazon fire yet but it was announced last week.  Samasung has announced a number of models that are not available, some due to their choice and marketing and others due to Apple legal issues.

All the companies do it.  Apple just has the art down!

They hype and the wait is part of their model. I don't think you can get an Amazon fire yet but it was announced last week.  Samasung has announced a number of models that are not available, some due to their choice and marketing and others due to Apple legal issues.

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

12 of 26 (1,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 3:27:52 PM
(0)
Expert

Well put! Smiley Very Happy  And they definitely know how to market to the masses, LOL!

youngjm wrote:

Well put! Smiley Very Happy  And they definitely know how to market to the masses, LOL!

youngjm wrote:

13 of 26 (1,063 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 6:04:03 PM
(0)
Guru

Product announcments in advance of product availability are nothing new. As someone else said, Apple has it down to an art. They hold events which are tightly scripted, and they announce availability at those events. Part of the game is the endless speculation leading up to the event, which brings every kook out of the woodwork to speculate on what the new device will or will not have.

Apple is often launching devices in multiple countries, on multiple networks, and at both Apple-owned and third-party retail outlets. People line up outside their stores to be the first to purchase these devices. Apple has the best supply-chain, manufacturing & retail minds in the technology business. NO company could match the initial demand of Apple products, especially iPhones.

spd2demun wrote:

Peace. Smiley Wink

Product announcments in advance of product availability are nothing new. As someone else said, Apple has it down to an art. They hold events which are tightly scripted, and they announce availability at those events. Part of the game is the endless speculation leading up to the event, which brings every kook out of the woodwork to speculate on what the new device will or will not have.

Apple is often launching devices in multiple countries, on multiple networks, and at both Apple-owned and third-party retail outlets. People line up outside their stores to be the first to purchase these devices. Apple has the best supply-chain, manufacturing & retail minds in the technology business. NO company could match the initial demand of Apple products, especially iPhones.

spd2demun wrote:

Peace. Smiley Wink

14 of 26 (1,054 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2011 7:39:48 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by jtrue28 on Oct 3, 2011 at 7:40:15 AM

[ Edited ]
15 of 26 (1,031 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2011 7:55:57 AM
(0)
Professor

jtrue28 wrote:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Apple-iPhone-5-Rumors-wscheats-955528675.html?x=0&.v=1

rumors were correct.

Until Apple officially announces it, they are still just rumors.  Why the need to continue spreading drivel?  We will all know the truth this time tomorrow... just chill out people.

jtrue28 wrote:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Apple-iPhone-5-Rumors-wscheats-955528675.html?x=0&.v=1

rumors were correct.

Until Apple officially announces it, they are still just rumors.  Why the need to continue spreading drivel?  We will all know the truth this time tomorrow... just chill out people.

16 of 26 (1,026 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2011 8:17:12 AM
(0)
Scholar

The Wall Street Journal goes a long way in my book to believe what they print.

This isn't the New York Times we're talking about.

The Wall Street Journal goes a long way in my book to believe what they print.

This isn't the New York Times we're talking about.

17 of 26 (1,023 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2011 11:37:32 AM
(0)
Expert

Anyone think the antenna issue is going to get fixed?  The bumper cover was a poor excuse, IMO. 

Hope they'll make a new one and not just a rehash of the current model. Smiley Sad 

Definitely needs a bigger screen!

Anyone think the antenna issue is going to get fixed?  The bumper cover was a poor excuse, IMO. 

Hope they'll make a new one and not just a rehash of the current model. Smiley Sad 

Definitely needs a bigger screen!

18 of 26 (999 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2011 11:48:10 AM
(0)
Master

Even if they use the same design as they iPhone 4, they addressed the antenna issue in two ways.  The Verizon versions antenna was changed to not have the issue to the extent as the original version. I would expect this antenna design to be used going forward. (All phones have the issue in one form or another.)  Second was education on how to hold your iPhoneSmiley Tongue

Even if they use the same design as they iPhone 4, they addressed the antenna issue in two ways.  The Verizon versions antenna was changed to not have the issue to the extent as the original version. I would expect this antenna design to be used going forward. (All phones have the issue in one form or another.)  Second was education on how to hold your iPhoneSmiley Tongue

19 of 26 (997 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2011 2:01:44 PM
(0)
Professor
I thought the Verizon phones had slightly different antenna designs due to the CDMA radios, not because they were trying to fix the antenna problem, which according to Apple, never existed.
I thought the Verizon phones had slightly different antenna designs due to the CDMA radios, not because they were trying to fix the antenna problem, which according to Apple, never existed.

20 of 26 (975 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2011 6:34:34 PM
(0)
Master

dwill05 wrote:

I would say yes and no.  I am no expert in antennas but If I had to guess, it addresses both issues!  iFixit will be able to tell us for sure once they tear it apart.

dwill05 wrote:

I would say yes and no.  I am no expert in antennas but If I had to guess, it addresses both issues!  iFixit will be able to tell us for sure once they tear it apart.

21 of 26 (1,003 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2011 7:28:53 AM
(0)
Guru

satchev wrote:

jtrue28 wrote:

rumors were correct.

Does it really bother you that much if some folks choose to speculate, to the point that you have to tell them to "chill out"?  Yes, we know that they are rumors--no need for you to keep parrotting the same old "It's not official until/unless Apple announces it" drivel over and over.

satchev wrote:

jtrue28 wrote:

rumors were correct.

Does it really bother you that much if some folks choose to speculate, to the point that you have to tell them to "chill out"?  Yes, we know that they are rumors--no need for you to keep parrotting the same old "It's not official until/unless Apple announces it" drivel over and over.

22 of 26 (992 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2011 11:04:22 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by browski on Oct 4, 2011 at 11:05:01 AM

it actually does bother people i think. along with people who come here and vent about the problems they experience with at&t. why it's such a big problem for people to get things off their chest if they need to is beyond me. it seems like every time i come here there are the same 4 or 5 people that either respond with 'until apple/at&t announce it, it doesn't exist' or 'you should have read your contract/box/website'. telling people that after the fact is simply self aggrandizing. yes, we know it's in the fine print. yes, we know you guys are top notch consumers. you didn't have to make mistakes like these to learn. actually, you guys were born with the knowledge that companies are in business to try and screw people and so you've always protected yourself. one day, if we try really hard, we can be like you guys. for now, we'll just have to band together, a lovable bunch of losers and try to hobble through life without losing our shirt.

thanks for at least letting us hang out here.

it actually does bother people i think. along with people who come here and vent about the problems they experience with at&t. why it's such a big problem for people to get things off their chest if they need to is beyond me. it seems like every time i come here there are the same 4 or 5 people that either respond with 'until apple/at&t announce it, it doesn't exist' or 'you should have read your contract/box/website'. telling people that after the fact is simply self aggrandizing. yes, we know it's in the fine print. yes, we know you guys are top notch consumers. you didn't have to make mistakes like these to learn. actually, you guys were born with the knowledge that companies are in business to try and screw people and so you've always protected yourself. one day, if we try really hard, we can be like you guys. for now, we'll just have to band together, a lovable bunch of losers and try to hobble through life without losing our shirt.

thanks for at least letting us hang out here.

[ Edited ]
23 of 26 (973 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2011 11:10:18 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Gadget geeks or not, I love you all and everyone is welcome. Smiley Very Happy *group hug*

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Gadget geeks or not, I love you all and everyone is welcome. Smiley Very Happy *group hug*

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

24 of 26 (969 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2011 11:14:34 AM
(0)
Mentor

Same dimensions...Iphone 4S...no 5

Same dimensions...Iphone 4S...no 5

25 of 26 (965 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2011 11:48:18 AM
(0)
Master

jamileh wrote:

Right back at Ya!

jamileh wrote:

Right back at Ya!

26 of 26 (959 Views)