Helpful Links

Screen bigger, but resolution worse

Scholar

Screen bigger, but resolution worse

"The CNET outlet in France, meanwhile, reports that the new dimensions of the iPhone 5 are 960x540 pixels and be between 4.2 and 4.3 inches diagonally. The iPhone 4 has a 3.5-inch display with 960x640 pixels."

Screen specs

Message 1 of 26
Master

Re: Screen bigger, but resolution worse

All speculation and .........  Wait until tuesday before passing judgement on what is true and if it is better or not.

Remember that Apple is big about the customer experience and they made a big deal about the clarity of the Retina display so before it is judged to be worse, let's see what they really do!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 26
Professor

youngjm wrote:

All speculation and .........  Wait until tuesday before passing judgement on what is true and if it is better or not.

Remember that Apple is big about the customer experience and they made a big deal about the clarity of the Retina display so before it is judged to be worse, let's see what they really do!

+1 to that reply.

Message 3 of 26
Professor

Agree.  It's been announced that Apple will be talking about the iPhone on Oct. 4, less than a week away.  I can't understand these media types that just can't wait and feel they have to scoop everyone with what may be a rumor that turns out to be completely untrue.  Most likely next Tuesday all will be reveiled.  Since no one can order a new phone before then, I don't see the value of keeping the rumor mill churning.  People are going to buy or not buy on what is actually announced.  They aren't going to make any decision based on some rumor put out a week or so earlier.

Message 4 of 26
Expert

Why can't you buy an iPhone on the day it's announced?

Message 5 of 26
Professor

spd2demun wrote:

Why can't you buy an iPhone on the day it's announced?

yea that would be nice of apple to offer the new Iphone for sale the same it is announced.
Message 6 of 26
Scholar

When Apple reports, then I will believe it.
Message 7 of 26
Professor

I would be extremely surprised if they allowed ordering on the day of the announcement. If history is a guide, they will tell you the day preordering will start. They need to get their servers set up for the onslaught, and so do the carriers who are going to be carrying the phone.
Message 8 of 26
Expert

I still don't understand why they operate this way, and people allow it. Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 26
Professor

spd2demun wrote:

I still don't understand why they operate this way, and people allow it. Smiley Sad

What do you mean?  Why they might not allow preordering on the day they announce?  Maybe they want to get their ordering system set up for the rush, or have people focus on and digest their presentation rather than everyone hitting the Apple website to order the second Tim Cook walks on stage.  Who knows?  They're the ones making and selling the phone, so I guess they can announce one day and start taking preorders another day.

Not sure what you mean by people "allowing" it?  What should they do?  Riot outside Apple HQ and demand that they allow preoreding the day they announce?  It's just a cell phone.  What does it matter if they start taking preorders Oct 4 or Oct 14?

Message 10 of 26
Expert

I mean I don't understand why Apple people put up with waiting;  their products aren't that special...not trying to start a flame war! Smiley Sad  (We have several Apple products already.)

I might be interested in a iP for another family member, but on the announcement day, I can't even pick one up in the store, probably not even see one in person. Smiley Sad

Apple was bigger than Exxon for a few days,  I think they could get their act together and have plenty of stock on-hand since they feel the iP is so popular.  I don't like their business model, that's all.

Just wish they'd stop the hype and deliver on announcement day.  I won't buy anything sight-unseen just because a certain company makes it.  Like you say, it's just a cell phone. Smiley Very Happy

I will be interested in hearing what previous gen-users have to say about the new one(s), though.

Peace. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 26
Master

They hype and the wait is part of their model. I don't think you can get an Amazon fire yet but it was announced last week.  Samasung has announced a number of models that are not available, some due to their choice and marketing and others due to Apple legal issues.

All the companies do it.  Apple just has the art down!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 12 of 26
Expert

Well put! Smiley Very Happy  And they definitely know how to market to the masses, LOL!

youngjm wrote:

They hype and the wait is part of their model. I don't think you can get an Amazon fire yet but it was announced last week.  Samasung has announced a number of models that are not available, some due to their choice and marketing and others due to Apple legal issues.

All the companies do it.  Apple just has the art down!

Message 13 of 26
Highlighted

Product announcments in advance of product availability are nothing new. As someone else said, Apple has it down to an art. They hold events which are tightly scripted, and they announce availability at those events. Part of the game is the endless speculation leading up to the event, which brings every kook out of the woodwork to speculate on what the new device will or will not have.

Apple is often launching devices in multiple countries, on multiple networks, and at both Apple-owned and third-party retail outlets. People line up outside their stores to be the first to purchase these devices. Apple has the best supply-chain, manufacturing & retail minds in the technology business. NO company could match the initial demand of Apple products, especially iPhones.

spd2demun wrote:

I mean I don't understand why Apple people put up with waiting;  their products aren't that special...not trying to start a flame war! Smiley Sad  (We have several Apple products already.)

I might be interested in a iP for another family member, but on the announcement day, I can't even pick one up in the store, probably not even see one in person. Smiley Sad

Apple was bigger than Exxon for a few days,  I think they could get their act together and have plenty of stock on-hand since they feel the iP is so popular.  I don't like their business model, that's all.

Just wish they'd stop the hype and deliver on announcement day.  I won't buy anything sight-unseen just because a certain company makes it.  Like you say, it's just a cell phone. Smiley Very Happy

I will be interested in hearing what previous gen-users have to say about the new one(s), though.

Peace. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 26
Scholar

Message 15 of 26
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support