Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 1, 2012
8:30:21 PM
View profile
Say it's not true.

So I was reading a blog on soon to be released Tegra 3 smartphones, and came across some depressing "speculation". The Rumor Is that AT&T will be getting HTC's latest flagship Smartphone. This device, the

HTC One X, is set to be one of the first Tegra 3 smartphones available. I have been waiting on this release for some time now. When I heard that AT&T was "rumored" to be the first carrier for this device I could not have been happier, but that joy was quickly crushed. The article continued to indicate that the AT&T version of this device would not be getting the Tegra 3 (quad core +1) CPU. Instead, AT&T has opted for a dual core processor that supports their LTE network. Now, I'm all about LTE connectivity, but I'm sure that the newest Tegra hardware is going to support LTE somewhere down the road. Further more, I haven't even sniffed LTE where I live, and probably won't for a long time. It seems to me that as phone applications progress, processing power is going to be VERY important. My business utilizes many intensive productivity applications that already stress my current dual core device. HSPA+ service is sufficient for most mobile needs, but if your phone is locked up, what difference can LTE possibly make? And, it gets worse. In my reading frenzy, I also learn that AT&T is planning on throttling back bandwidth for grandfathered unlimited data costumers (me). So,  AT&T wants to make sure I have a fast data connection, throttle down my connection when I reach 3GB's of data (at LTE speed), and limit the quality of hardware in my device. Really? Instead of making long time customers like me suffer, why not just send out mailers asking us to switch carriers? I run a small company, and all of our devices are AT&T. We are under contract, and opting out would be expensive. However, with God as my witness, if all I've read is true, I will terminate my longtime relationship with AT&T and move on. I'm also betting that I won't be the only one.  Please, say the things I've read aren't true.

So I was reading a blog on soon to be released Tegra 3 smartphones, and came across some depressing "speculation". The Rumor Is that AT&T will be getting HTC's latest flagship Smartphone. This device, the

HTC One X, is set to be one of the first Tegra 3 smartphones available. I have been waiting on this release for some time now. When I heard that AT&T was "rumored" to be the first carrier for this device I could not have been happier, but that joy was quickly crushed. The article continued to indicate that the AT&T version of this device would not be getting the Tegra 3 (quad core +1) CPU. Instead, AT&T has opted for a dual core processor that supports their LTE network. Now, I'm all about LTE connectivity, but I'm sure that the newest Tegra hardware is going to support LTE somewhere down the road. Further more, I haven't even sniffed LTE where I live, and probably won't for a long time. It seems to me that as phone applications progress, processing power is going to be VERY important. My business utilizes many intensive productivity applications that already stress my current dual core device. HSPA+ service is sufficient for most mobile needs, but if your phone is locked up, what difference can LTE possibly make? And, it gets worse. In my reading frenzy, I also learn that AT&T is planning on throttling back bandwidth for grandfathered unlimited data costumers (me). So,  AT&T wants to make sure I have a fast data connection, throttle down my connection when I reach 3GB's of data (at LTE speed), and limit the quality of hardware in my device. Really? Instead of making long time customers like me suffer, why not just send out mailers asking us to switch carriers? I run a small company, and all of our devices are AT&T. We are under contract, and opting out would be expensive. However, with God as my witness, if all I've read is true, I will terminate my longtime relationship with AT&T and move on. I'm also betting that I won't be the only one.  Please, say the things I've read aren't true.

Say it's not true.

19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 2:08:09 AM
(0)
Employee
Quad core is pointless as dual core phones are nearly pointless. Nothing you can do on your phone requires more than 2 cores.
Quad core is pointless as dual core phones are nearly pointless. Nothing you can do on your phone requires more than 2 cores.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Say it's not true.

2 of 20 (2,000 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 5:55:34 PM
(0)
Former Employee
Edited by drumn_bass on Mar 8, 2012 at 5:57:12 PM

Yeah, this whole quad core thing this year is nothing but a gimmick. I can not think of a single application that requires 4 cores in a mobile phone. OP, you can buy whatever GSM phone you want unlocked, you're not restricted to what AT&T offers. 

Yeah, this whole quad core thing this year is nothing but a gimmick. I can not think of a single application that requires 4 cores in a mobile phone. OP, you can buy whatever GSM phone you want unlocked, you're not restricted to what AT&T offers. 

[ Edited ]
3 of 20 (1,976 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 5:28:52 PM
(0)
Teacher

I realize that, for now, dual core is sufficient to run most available apps. My biggest problem is trying to find a device that is future proof. I remember my first real computer (not counting the Tandy, Apple 2, or Commodore 64) was a Gateway with a single core 333 Mhz Celeron processor. Seemed fast at the time. The problem was that technology proliferated VERY quickly. That machine was basically obsolete in less than two years. It's the same with smart phones. A new device requires a two year contract, at least to get a discounted price. Like it or not, quad core smart phones are the future. Why would developers continue to write apps for old technology? Even Windows Phone is stepping into the multi core mobile age with Windows Phone 8, which will compliment the new Windows 8 OS. People like me who use their phone for business and pleasure should be excited about the possibilities that are coming to the table. Even if no apps require multiple cores to run, what about multiple apps running simultaneously. I know my Android loves to keep a gazillion apps open constantly. My Tegra 2 processor already struggles just trying to keep up. Anyway, maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't get why my concerns are so easily dismissed. Just remember that a single core desktop CPU makes a great boat anchor, and time never stands still. 

I realize that, for now, dual core is sufficient to run most available apps. My biggest problem is trying to find a device that is future proof. I remember my first real computer (not counting the Tandy, Apple 2, or Commodore 64) was a Gateway with a single core 333 Mhz Celeron processor. Seemed fast at the time. The problem was that technology proliferated VERY quickly. That machine was basically obsolete in less than two years. It's the same with smart phones. A new device requires a two year contract, at least to get a discounted price. Like it or not, quad core smart phones are the future. Why would developers continue to write apps for old technology? Even Windows Phone is stepping into the multi core mobile age with Windows Phone 8, which will compliment the new Windows 8 OS. People like me who use their phone for business and pleasure should be excited about the possibilities that are coming to the table. Even if no apps require multiple cores to run, what about multiple apps running simultaneously. I know my Android loves to keep a gazillion apps open constantly. My Tegra 2 processor already struggles just trying to keep up. Anyway, maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't get why my concerns are so easily dismissed. Just remember that a single core desktop CPU makes a great boat anchor, and time never stands still. 

4 of 20 (1,959 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 5:36:10 PM
(0)
Teacher

Quick note. I love that both responses to this post were sent using dual core devices. Bet it would have been quad core if it were available...;D

Quick note. I love that both responses to this post were sent using dual core devices. Bet it would have been quad core if it were available...;D

5 of 20 (1,958 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2012 10:50:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The throttle level for unlimited LTE data customers is 5GB.  Other unlimited data customers are throttled at 3GB.

The throttle level for unlimited LTE data customers is 5GB.  Other unlimited data customers are throttled at 3GB.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 20 (1,942 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2012 12:26:02 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Mar 10, 2012 at 12:27:34 PM

tidecrush wrote:

only if the user was elgibile for aupgrade andd the upgrade cost was cheap enough, performance wise would have made no difference what so every.

Interesting thought outside of the OS how many apps are actually written for SMP threading? Not to many I would guess so the app would only take advantage of a single core even if there where 50 cores in the processor.

I also know that I am responding on a pair of processors that have quad cores - so a 8 core box

tidecrush wrote:

only if the user was elgibile for aupgrade andd the upgrade cost was cheap enough, performance wise would have made no difference what so every.

Interesting thought outside of the OS how many apps are actually written for SMP threading? Not to many I would guess so the app would only take advantage of a single core even if there where 50 cores in the processor.

I also know that I am responding on a pair of processors that have quad cores - so a 8 core box

[ Edited ]
7 of 20 (1,939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2012 4:45:10 PM
(0)
Former Employee

I didn't choose my phone based on a number of cores. I'm not saying that technology is useless, I am saying however that it's useless in a phone dude, IMO. Are we going to do some 3G modeling or serious video editing on a phone? Tablets do make sense though. The phone I have is too overpowered and even simple tasks make it really hot, actually really hate this problem. But if you want a quad core phone, for any reason, go for it... Like I said you can use any unlocked GSM smartphone on AT&T. I will end up with one too, I don't mind it and my next phone will probably have it anyway but I'm not going to upgrade to one just to have one.

I didn't choose my phone based on a number of cores. I'm not saying that technology is useless, I am saying however that it's useless in a phone dude, IMO. Are we going to do some 3G modeling or serious video editing on a phone? Tablets do make sense though. The phone I have is too overpowered and even simple tasks make it really hot, actually really hate this problem. But if you want a quad core phone, for any reason, go for it... Like I said you can use any unlocked GSM smartphone on AT&T. I will end up with one too, I don't mind it and my next phone will probably have it anyway but I'm not going to upgrade to one just to have one.

8 of 20 (1,932 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2012 9:59:21 AM
(0)
Master
At this point, software does not take advantage of the extra cores that would be in a quad core and by the time they did, you may very well be looking getting a new phone anyways. And, what application are you looking at/use that really does need the quad core? Has it even maxed out what a dual core chip can do?

Don't forget that not only does software need to support the greater technology but the batteries need to keep up to preserve battery life and right now LTE is kicking the batteries talk time. I would not sweat this stuff yet.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
At this point, software does not take advantage of the extra cores that would be in a quad core and by the time they did, you may very well be looking getting a new phone anyways. And, what application are you looking at/use that really does need the quad core? Has it even maxed out what a dual core chip can do?

Don't forget that not only does software need to support the greater technology but the batteries need to keep up to preserve battery life and right now LTE is kicking the batteries talk time. I would not sweat this stuff yet.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

9 of 20 (1,917 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2012 10:17:50 PM
(0)
Teacher

I realize that the vast majority of apps currently available don't require multiple cores to operate. Makes sense given the number of single core devices still in service.  Once multi-core devices become more abundant, I'm sure this will change. Then we'll see a faster, more immerse user experience with mobile devices. The sooner this technology reaches market, the sooner development can begin. Also, when you sync 5 email accounts, Facebook, Twitter, and im's on your device,along side of security protocols, WI-fi management, Bluetooth connectivity, and wireless services (HSPA, HSPA+, LTE) those single tread apps really consume resources. As far as the battery goes, I already find it necessary to plug my phone in several times a day. The Tegra 3 does offer a 5th core to handle basic functionality while conserving the battery. I do appreciate the perspectives offered on this thread, and I've generally been pleased with AT&T service. On this matter, however, I have a different opinion.

I realize that the vast majority of apps currently available don't require multiple cores to operate. Makes sense given the number of single core devices still in service.  Once multi-core devices become more abundant, I'm sure this will change. Then we'll see a faster, more immerse user experience with mobile devices. The sooner this technology reaches market, the sooner development can begin. Also, when you sync 5 email accounts, Facebook, Twitter, and im's on your device,along side of security protocols, WI-fi management, Bluetooth connectivity, and wireless services (HSPA, HSPA+, LTE) those single tread apps really consume resources. As far as the battery goes, I already find it necessary to plug my phone in several times a day. The Tegra 3 does offer a 5th core to handle basic functionality while conserving the battery. I do appreciate the perspectives offered on this thread, and I've generally been pleased with AT&T service. On this matter, however, I have a different opinion.

10 of 20 (1,872 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2012 3:24:54 AM
(0)
Expert

tidecrush wrote:

providing the app is writen to support SMP - development for this usually lags 3 to 4 years behind in the software world, it can get tricky making sure that your code keeps the multiple threads sync'd correctly to work. Nothing you mention will even make the current phones work very hard. The poster child for this is the personal computer environment, when dual processors came out the only software that supported them was the operating system, even now a lot of the day to day operational software on a pc still does not pay attention to SMP processing.

Pretty good indication that  "conserving battery" on  5 core based phone is a oxymoron - more cores, mor power required, more heat generated. Not quite usre why you claim that "single thread apps consume resources", would love to see your justification for this. Got some links?

tidecrush wrote:

providing the app is writen to support SMP - development for this usually lags 3 to 4 years behind in the software world, it can get tricky making sure that your code keeps the multiple threads sync'd correctly to work. Nothing you mention will even make the current phones work very hard. The poster child for this is the personal computer environment, when dual processors came out the only software that supported them was the operating system, even now a lot of the day to day operational software on a pc still does not pay attention to SMP processing.

Pretty good indication that  "conserving battery" on  5 core based phone is a oxymoron - more cores, mor power required, more heat generated. Not quite usre why you claim that "single thread apps consume resources", would love to see your justification for this. Got some links?

11 of 20 (1,787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2012 7:03:12 PM
(0)
Teacher

I think this link will help those like me who aren't as knowledgeable as others might be. As one of the companies that is a pioneer in mobile processors, I think they are qualified.http://www.nvidia.com/content/PDF/tegra_white_papers/Benefits-of-Multi-core-CPUs-in-Mobile-Devices_V... 

I think this link will help those like me who aren't as knowledgeable as others might be. As one of the companies that is a pioneer in mobile processors, I think they are qualified.http://www.nvidia.com/content/PDF/tegra_white_papers/Benefits-of-Multi-core-CPUs-in-Mobile-Devices_Ver1.2.pdf 

12 of 20 (1,776 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2012 7:14:25 PM
(0)
Teacher

Here is another story that is relative to this discussion. I really like this one 

http://phonemantra.com/2012/03/nokia-dual-also-those-grapes-are-sour/

Here is another story that is relative to this discussion. I really like this one 

http://phonemantra.com/2012/03/nokia-dual-also-those-grapes-are-sour/

13 of 20 (1,774 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2012 3:40:19 AM
(0)
Expert

tidecrush wrote:

I think this link will help those like me who aren't as knowledgeable as others might be. As one of the companies that is a pioneer in mobile processors, I think they are qualified.http://www.nvidia.com/content/PDF/tegra_white_papers/Benefits-of-Multi-core-CPUs-in-Mobile-Devices_V... 

interesting article, seen it a while back, pretty much the same thing that was published for the personal computer world with just some changes years ago.

Great engineering document with the documentation of the theoretical potential, but application coding tends to lag generations behind by hardware technology. When the real world industry catches up with the engineers then it will be a feasible, until then it is a pipe dream (but it is a dual pipe dream)

tidecrush wrote:

I think this link will help those like me who aren't as knowledgeable as others might be. As one of the companies that is a pioneer in mobile processors, I think they are qualified.http://www.nvidia.com/content/PDF/tegra_white_papers/Benefits-of-Multi-core-CPUs-in-Mobile-Devices_Ver1.2.pdf 

interesting article, seen it a while back, pretty much the same thing that was published for the personal computer world with just some changes years ago.

Great engineering document with the documentation of the theoretical potential, but application coding tends to lag generations behind by hardware technology. When the real world industry catches up with the engineers then it will be a feasible, until then it is a pipe dream (but it is a dual pipe dream)

14 of 20 (1,764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2012 7:37:49 PM
(0)
Teacher

I'm at a loss. Maybe it's just a need to feel like my device is bleeding edge. The Tegra 3 will still get my money. Anyway, thanks for your feedback. 

I'm at a loss. Maybe it's just a need to feel like my device is bleeding edge. The Tegra 3 will still get my money. Anyway, thanks for your feedback. 

15 of 20 (1,757 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2012 9:57:20 AM
(0)
Guru

There is NO device that is "future proof". That's the very nature of technology. Look at personal computers. Even if you build your own, and swap out processors and memory and hard drives as faster ones come along, eventually you'll need to scrap the motherboard and power supply and start from scratch when the processor architecture changes. You can't use that same motherboard that housed your Celeron processor and put a Core i7 in there. Eventually, once AT&T has blanketed the whole country in HSPA, they'll turn off GSM and force everyone with 2G phones to upgrade. Those of us who've had cell phones for a while remember when AT&T turned off their TDMA & analog networks.

As others have said, a dual-core phone that supports LTE will be more useful to AT&T (from a marketing perspective alone) as it ramps up its LTE network than a quint-core phone that supports HSPA+. And really, nobody except for tech bloggers running benchmarks on these phones are going to notice the difference. Look at the recent A5X & Tegra 3 comparisons. Although there are some things the Tegra 3 does faster than the A5X, for graphics the dual-core A5X smokes the quad-core Tegra 3.

tidecrush wrote:

There is NO device that is "future proof". That's the very nature of technology. Look at personal computers. Even if you build your own, and swap out processors and memory and hard drives as faster ones come along, eventually you'll need to scrap the motherboard and power supply and start from scratch when the processor architecture changes. You can't use that same motherboard that housed your Celeron processor and put a Core i7 in there. Eventually, once AT&T has blanketed the whole country in HSPA, they'll turn off GSM and force everyone with 2G phones to upgrade. Those of us who've had cell phones for a while remember when AT&T turned off their TDMA & analog networks.

As others have said, a dual-core phone that supports LTE will be more useful to AT&T (from a marketing perspective alone) as it ramps up its LTE network than a quint-core phone that supports HSPA+. And really, nobody except for tech bloggers running benchmarks on these phones are going to notice the difference. Look at the recent A5X & Tegra 3 comparisons. Although there are some things the Tegra 3 does faster than the A5X, for graphics the dual-core A5X smokes the quad-core Tegra 3.

tidecrush wrote:

16 of 20 (1,750 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2012 4:21:30 PM
(0)
Teacher

"Future proof" was definitely a poor choice of words in my earlier post. Still, I don't want to sign a two year contract for a device that is already becoming outdated. I'm also not sure the A5X is a fair comparison given that it incorporates 4 graphics cores, and is to big to be used in a smartphone. Maybe the A6 that is being developed for the theoretical iPhone 5 (which is rumored to be quad core) will provide a more viable comparator. With development of an LTE modem that is compatible with the Tegra 3 already underway, maybe AT&T will be on board soon. Surely they will get on board with the new Galaxy S3, which has been reported to ship (eventually) with LTE and HSPA integrated on an Exynos quad-core chip. Sorry for obsessing, but this stuff gets me excited.   

"Future proof" was definitely a poor choice of words in my earlier post. Still, I don't want to sign a two year contract for a device that is already becoming outdated. I'm also not sure the A5X is a fair comparison given that it incorporates 4 graphics cores, and is to big to be used in a smartphone. Maybe the A6 that is being developed for the theoretical iPhone 5 (which is rumored to be quad core) will provide a more viable comparator. With development of an LTE modem that is compatible with the Tegra 3 already underway, maybe AT&T will be on board soon. Surely they will get on board with the new Galaxy S3, which has been reported to ship (eventually) with LTE and HSPA integrated on an Exynos quad-core chip. Sorry for obsessing, but this stuff gets me excited.   

17 of 20 (1,742 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2012 3:31:47 AM
(0)
Expert

tidecrush wrote:

current technology is outdatedabout 30 days after it hits the general market. If you want to stay ahead of the curve pay full retail and upgrade about every 6 months. Used to forklift my personal gaming pc every  18 months, now I do it every 8 months to stay even with the curve.

No matter what new technology is on the market, there is always tech in the pipline that release and make it outdated in 90 days - watch the LCD/LED market over the next 3 - 6 months Smiley Happy

tidecrush wrote:

current technology is outdatedabout 30 days after it hits the general market. If you want to stay ahead of the curve pay full retail and upgrade about every 6 months. Used to forklift my personal gaming pc every  18 months, now I do it every 8 months to stay even with the curve.

No matter what new technology is on the market, there is always tech in the pipline that release and make it outdated in 90 days - watch the LCD/LED market over the next 3 - 6 months Smiley Happy

18 of 20 (1,735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2012 10:19:09 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by shadvich on Mar 26, 2012 at 10:19:50 AM

I would like it if HTC allowed for two versions of the One X, an LTE version with Snapdragon, and an HSPDA+ version with a Tegra 3. They're defintely releasing a global version but it would be nice to get it directly throught ATT. HTC is already going against their own goal of brand unity with a special version for ATT, so what's another, haha. To the commenters saying that quad core isn't useful - we were saying that two years ago about dual core phones. When I'm locked to a phone for 20 months, I want to make sure I have something that will still run decently down the road. Also, the tegra chip has the advantage of having a companion core for basic tasks, such that we won't see high battery consumption.

I know that the snapdragon is fabricated at a smaller process (22nm) so that should be fine on the power consumption front. I'd like to see comparisons between the One X global version and the ATT version.

I would like it if HTC allowed for two versions of the One X, an LTE version with Snapdragon, and an HSPDA+ version with a Tegra 3. They're defintely releasing a global version but it would be nice to get it directly throught ATT. HTC is already going against their own goal of brand unity with a special version for ATT, so what's another, haha. To the commenters saying that quad core isn't useful - we were saying that two years ago about dual core phones. When I'm locked to a phone for 20 months, I want to make sure I have something that will still run decently down the road. Also, the tegra chip has the advantage of having a companion core for basic tasks, such that we won't see high battery consumption.

I know that the snapdragon is fabricated at a smaller process (22nm) so that should be fine on the power consumption front. I'd like to see comparisons between the One X global version and the ATT version.

[ Edited ]
19 of 20 (1,714 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2012 5:34:14 AM
(0)
Guru
Relax. People who have tested both versions have reported that the 2-core version performs better than the 4-core. Relax guys! (Now about the downgrade from 32 GB to 16, without an SD slot, THAT's something to be annoyed about.)
Relax. People who have tested both versions have reported that the 2-core version performs better than the 4-core. Relax guys! (Now about the downgrade from 32 GB to 16, without an SD slot, THAT's something to be annoyed about.)

20 of 20 (1,573 Views)