Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 18, 2011
5:37:42 AM
Samsung officially announced Galaxy S II getting Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update

http://www.helloandroid.com/content/android-40-confirmed-samsung-galaxy-s-ii

They must do this for the rest of the world, because AT&T certainly isn't with the program.

They must do this for the rest of the world, because AT&T certainly isn't with the program.

Samsung officially announced Galaxy S II getting Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 7:17:02 AM
(0)
Scholar

Yes, it's going to be a LONG wait for AT&T releasing ICS on SGSII.

Re: Samsung officially announced Galaxy S II getting Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update

2 of 15 (3,841 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 7:44:38 AM
(0)
Guru

riverborne wrote:

Yup.  I9100 users will get it first.  I777 users who are willing to flash custom firmware will probably get it a few weeks after that (depends on how complete Samsung's kernel source release is - might be only days!)

I777 users who want official firmware will wait an eternity.

Skyrocket users will simply wait for eternity - they don't have an international sibling to kang from.

riverborne wrote:

Yup.  I9100 users will get it first.  I777 users who are willing to flash custom firmware will probably get it a few weeks after that (depends on how complete Samsung's kernel source release is - might be only days!)

I777 users who want official firmware will wait an eternity.

Skyrocket users will simply wait for eternity - they don't have an international sibling to kang from.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

Re: Samsung officially announced Galaxy S II getting Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update

3 of 15 (3,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 8:00:25 AM
(0)
Professor
It has already been announced that skyrocket will get ICS early next year. But then that will be from Samsung, and there will be the inevitable wait for at&t to add it's bloatware.
It has already been announced that skyrocket will get ICS early next year. But then that will be from Samsung, and there will be the inevitable wait for at&t to add it's bloatware.

4 of 15 (3,832 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 12:53:16 PM
(0)
Scholar

Evil_Homer wrote:

Been down this road before!!  I had a Windows Phone 7 Focus and AT&T was the last to issue the NoDo update when MS released it, but I have to sat they were pretty quick for the bigger more important Mango update.. I can't imagine the difference between the i9100 and i777 can be that great to cause a long delay between the Brits version and ours. Wishful thinking I know Smiley Happy
  Honestly the difference between my old WP7 w/mango and this GS2 w/Gingerbread are soo great I truly don't mind waiting, where with WP7 I was begging for some kind of improvement in user options and apps which neither NoDo or Mango came anywhere close to satisfying..  

Evil_Homer wrote:

Been down this road before!!  I had a Windows Phone 7 Focus and AT&T was the last to issue the NoDo update when MS released it, but I have to sat they were pretty quick for the bigger more important Mango update.. I can't imagine the difference between the i9100 and i777 can be that great to cause a long delay between the Brits version and ours. Wishful thinking I know Smiley Happy
  Honestly the difference between my old WP7 w/mango and this GS2 w/Gingerbread are soo great I truly don't mind waiting, where with WP7 I was begging for some kind of improvement in user options and apps which neither NoDo or Mango came anywhere close to satisfying..  

5 of 15 (3,801 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 1:13:59 PM
(0)
Master

pmt1209 wrote:

Evil_Homer wrote:

Just ask Captivate or Infuse onwers where is their GingerBread Updates Smiley Happy Those two are the most important phones at their respective time periods.

pmt1209 wrote:

Evil_Homer wrote:

Just ask Captivate or Infuse onwers where is their GingerBread Updates Smiley Happy Those two are the most important phones at their respective time periods.

6 of 15 (3,796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2011 6:30:28 AM
(0)
Scholar

foxbat121 wrote:

Did they announce the Captivate and Infuse would be getting GB like they announced the GS2 would be getting ICS??

foxbat121 wrote:

Did they announce the Captivate and Infuse would be getting GB like they announced the GS2 would be getting ICS??

7 of 15 (3,763 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2011 8:19:18 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Nov 19, 2011 at 8:21:57 AM

Yes they did, last summer.

And before that back in WM days. BJ1 WM6.0 update was announced a year before the update showed up and EPIX WM6.5 update was like one and half year after the announcement.

Base on that history, I'd say best case 6 months. Worst case > 1 year.

Yes they did, last summer.

And before that back in WM days. BJ1 WM6.0 update was announced a year before the update showed up and EPIX WM6.5 update was like one and half year after the announcement.

Base on that history, I'd say best case 6 months. Worst case > 1 year.

[ Edited ]
8 of 15 (3,757 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2011 12:49:39 AM
(0)
Scholar

they already announce q1 of 2012

they already announce q1 of 2012

9 of 15 (3,607 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2011 1:45:59 AM
(0)
Employee
I'm just waiting for the ROM to pop up and I'll be in flash heaven
I'm just waiting for the ROM to pop up and I'll be in flash heaven
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

10 of 15 (3,605 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2011 5:48:43 PM
(0)
Teacher

The SkyRocket and the T-Mobile SGS2 are essentially the same phone minus the  LTE radio, so in theory if the T-Mo version is updated(in a timely fashion)  than in all likelyhood the SkyRocket will be updated (in a timely fashion) as well.

Here is hoping that Samsung learned their lesson and will release a timely update to ICS and not repeat their less than stellar performance with the SGS.

Dan

The SkyRocket and the T-Mobile SGS2 are essentially the same phone minus the  LTE radio, so in theory if the T-Mo version is updated(in a timely fashion)  than in all likelyhood the SkyRocket will be updated (in a timely fashion) as well.

Here is hoping that Samsung learned their lesson and will release a timely update to ICS and not repeat their less than stellar performance with the SGS.

Dan

11 of 15 (1,965 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2011 8:01:17 AM
(0)
Mentor

I was a Sony lover for many years, but finally gave up on them because AT&T and Sony could never get their act together to bring top of the line phones to market.  So I finally gave up and bought the Galaxy S2 at Sam's this "Black Friday" morning for 96 cents. 

And now I find a similar lag problem here as well.  Frustrating.

Well, at least Samsung got their product to market.  The frustration for Sony lovers like me was just too much.  Hope I'm welcome over here.  Heckuva nice product.

I was a Sony lover for many years, but finally gave up on them because AT&T and Sony could never get their act together to bring top of the line phones to market.  So I finally gave up and bought the Galaxy S2 at Sam's this "Black Friday" morning for 96 cents. 

And now I find a similar lag problem here as well.  Frustrating.

Well, at least Samsung got their product to market.  The frustration for Sony lovers like me was just too much.  Hope I'm welcome over here.  Heckuva nice product.

12 of 15 (1,949 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2011 8:29:38 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by Entropy512 on Nov 28, 2011 at 8:30:56 AM

dalbert wrote:

Dan

Samsung's performance with the SGS was stellar - the I9000 has received frequent updates.

The failure of the Captivate to receive updates is 100% on AT&T - I9000 firmwares require about 15 minutes of work to achieve full functionality on the Captivate.  (Less, even, than the I777, which has somewhat more in terms of hardware differences.)

Lloyd, which lag problem are you referring to?  Real GSII or Skyrocket (aka fake GSII)?  If you mean update lag, that is, as stated above, 100% AT&T.

dalbert wrote:

Dan

Samsung's performance with the SGS was stellar - the I9000 has received frequent updates.

The failure of the Captivate to receive updates is 100% on AT&T - I9000 firmwares require about 15 minutes of work to achieve full functionality on the Captivate.  (Less, even, than the I777, which has somewhat more in terms of hardware differences.)

Lloyd, which lag problem are you referring to?  Real GSII or Skyrocket (aka fake GSII)?  If you mean update lag, that is, as stated above, 100% AT&T.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

[ Edited ]
13 of 15 (1,882 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 29, 2011 6:13:26 AM
(0)
Tutor
What will ICS look like skinned with TW??? I want to see some mad photoshop skills going into this!!

BABIES me and Entropy512
What will ICS look like skinned with TW??? I want to see some mad photoshop skills going into this!!

BABIES me and Entropy512

14 of 15 (1,819 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 11:51:53 AM
(0)
Mentor

>Lloyd, which lag problem are you referring to?  Real GSII or Skyrocket (aka fake GSII)?  If you mean update lag, that is, as stated above, 100% AT&T.

Update lag is what I was referring to, and yes, I know the problem is with AT&T.  Isn't it always?

>Lloyd, which lag problem are you referring to?  Real GSII or Skyrocket (aka fake GSII)?  If you mean update lag, that is, as stated above, 100% AT&T.

Update lag is what I was referring to, and yes, I know the problem is with AT&T.  Isn't it always?

15 of 15 (1,708 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments