(149)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2013 11:22:51 AM
(0)
Guru

s.m.knipe wrote:

You want to know what is really sad and twisted about this scenario?  AT&T will drive people into forking out the cash up front for unlocked/unbranded phones just so they receive their software updates in a reasonable/realistic/relevant timeframe, which will hurt AT&T branded phone sales, which will hurt AT&T's bottom line, so AT&T will raise miscellaneous fees on everyone to make up the difference.  

In short, they will tax you for their own incompetence. 

If that happens, I'll start looking at T-Mobile again!

However, keep in mind that if people stop purchasing AT&T devices, AT&T will no longer have to subsidize devices for those people, yet still charge them the same monthly rates. The trade-off for us is that we no longer have to sign contracts. Also, unlocked/unbranded devices, particularly ones with stock Android, seem to have a much higher resale value than their carrier counterparts. I recently sold my Galaxy Nexus, a phone that was $300 brand new via Google Play, for $250. In other words, use the device for a year, sell it and use the gains to subsidize the cost of a new device.

s.m.knipe wrote:

You want to know what is really sad and twisted about this scenario?  AT&T will drive people into forking out the cash up front for unlocked/unbranded phones just so they receive their software updates in a reasonable/realistic/relevant timeframe, which will hurt AT&T branded phone sales, which will hurt AT&T's bottom line, so AT&T will raise miscellaneous fees on everyone to make up the difference.  

In short, they will tax you for their own incompetence. 

If that happens, I'll start looking at T-Mobile again!

However, keep in mind that if people stop purchasing AT&T devices, AT&T will no longer have to subsidize devices for those people, yet still charge them the same monthly rates. The trade-off for us is that we no longer have to sign contracts. Also, unlocked/unbranded devices, particularly ones with stock Android, seem to have a much higher resale value than their carrier counterparts. I recently sold my Galaxy Nexus, a phone that was $300 brand new via Google Play, for $250. In other words, use the device for a year, sell it and use the gains to subsidize the cost of a new device.

Re: Samsung galaxy s3 jelly update 4.1.2

91 of 150 (5,885 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2013 10:04:07 AM
(0)
Explorer
Not true. I had the samsung s3 thru verizon and left due to poor voice coverage. And my phone had 4.1.2 and an update went to the phone that gave actually dual window and neat gallary changes where u can view ur photos in spiral or rolodex view to see ahead what u r looking for. Pretty cool.
Not true. I had the samsung s3 thru verizon and left due to poor voice coverage. And my phone had 4.1.2 and an update went to the phone that gave actually dual window and neat gallary changes where u can view ur photos in spiral or rolodex view to see ahead what u r looking for. Pretty cool.

92 of 150 (5,630 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2013 5:46:32 PM
(0)
Scholar
So the S4 is already on 4.3 according to sammobile, and we're stuck waiting for the 4.1.2??? At&t you truly suck.
So the S4 is already on 4.3 according to sammobile, and we're stuck waiting for the 4.1.2??? At&t you truly suck.

93 of 150 (5,137 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2013 7:00:44 PM
(0)
Guru
@carlosbuka:

The 4.3 for GS4 Google Edition leaked. This version hasn't even been announced by Google. The carrier variant of GS4 is still on 4.2.2.
@carlosbuka:

The 4.3 for GS4 Google Edition leaked. This version hasn't even been announced by Google. The carrier variant of GS4 is still on 4.2.2.

94 of 150 (5,111 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2013 4:37:07 AM
(0)
Scholar

It's still two we haven't gotten yet while other's have. Lol

It's still two we haven't gotten yet while other's have. Lol

95 of 150 (4,563 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2013 10:51:14 AM
(0)
Contributor

So after reading the majority of posts on this topic - everyone with a GS3 and AT&T are stuck with 4.1.1 still?!  My phone has significantly gotten slower and not having the update is ridiculous... I've had this phone for almost a year. Is anyone else having system slowdowns and freezes with their phone because it's not updated?  PS Kies does suck!

So after reading the majority of posts on this topic - everyone with a GS3 and AT&T are stuck with 4.1.1 still?!  My phone has significantly gotten slower and not having the update is ridiculous... I've had this phone for almost a year. Is anyone else having system slowdowns and freezes with their phone because it's not updated?  PS Kies does suck!

96 of 150 (4,071 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2013 2:14:10 AM
(0)
Scholar
It does suck.
It does suck.

97 of 150 (3,919 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2013 5:20:52 AM
(0)
Mentor
Kies is terrible and yes, my phone freezes occasionally requiring a battery pull to get it going again.
Kies is terrible and yes, my phone freezes occasionally requiring a battery pull to get it going again.

98 of 150 (3,899 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2013 7:17:52 PM
(0)
Mentor

att will never realase an update our only option is to root our phones and install the t-mobile version of 4.1.2 portted for att phones i did and works perfect the multiwindows if awsome and the update is flawless.head over to xda developers forums and check out the deTmobilized rom for att s3.

att will never realase an update our only option is to root our phones and install the t-mobile version of 4.1.2 portted for att phones i did and works perfect the multiwindows if awsome and the update is flawless.head over to xda developers forums and check out the deTmobilized rom for att s3.

99 of 150 (3,725 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 9, 2013 10:50:50 AM
(0)
Scholar
Or from the Sgh-i747M which is basically the same phone.
Or from the Sgh-i747M which is basically the same phone.

100 of 150 (3,608 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 11:32:47 AM
(0)
Community Support

AT&T is still working with Samsung to make its Premium Suite with Jelly Bean 4.1.2 available in the coming weeks. We appreciate your interest and ask for your continued patience.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

AT&T is still working with Samsung to make its Premium Suite with Jelly Bean 4.1.2 available in the coming weeks. We appreciate your interest and ask for your continued patience.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

101 of 150 (3,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 11:46:42 AM
(0)
Teacher
All the others wireless companies already have it.
Why is taking so long for at&t to give us this update?
They want all of us to buy the Samsung s4 I guess.
They want all of us to buy the Samsung s4 I guess.

102 of 150 (3,432 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 11:48:53 AM
(0)
Teacher
They want us to upgrade to Samsung s4 I guess.
They want us to upgrade to Samsung s4 I guess.

103 of 150 (3,432 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 1:31:49 PM
(0)
Tutor
Not all of us are confident enough to root our phones, yeah there are guides but the risk of bricking the phone, Finally a response about the update but of course "working to release it"
Not all of us are confident enough to root our phones, yeah there are guides but the risk of bricking the phone, Finally a response about the update but of course "working to release it"

104 of 150 (3,405 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 3:31:02 PM
(0)
Scholar
LIE....samsung reps has told many of us that the update is in At&t hands. They have no matter in this. So that at&t is working with Samsung it's not true.
LIE....samsung reps has told many of us that the update is in At&t hands. They have no matter in this. So that at&t is working with Samsung it's not true.

105 of 150 (3,379 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 4:03:21 PM
(0)
Scholar
How about an ETA?
How about an ETA?

106 of 150 (3,367 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 4:03:32 PM
(0)
Scholar
A real one.
A real one.

107 of 150 (3,368 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2013 8:43:40 AM
(0)
Scholar

here is the eta you want.   It will be out sometime between now and july 30th.....    2016

here is the eta you want.   It will be out sometime between now and july 30th.....    2016

108 of 150 (3,210 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2013 4:51:55 PM
(0)
Scholar
True that
True that

109 of 150 (3,091 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2013 5:27:17 PM
(0)
Mentor
like i mention before the reason att is not releasing the update is because they want to add their bloatware on the firmware.samsung release the update months back to every carrier in u.s.a and canada is the same firmware for every carrier the difference is the bloatware nothing else.for some reason att is having problems with their bloatware and the firmware is not working well with it that's why.if they stop adding crap to the updates maybe by now we could of been running 4.2.2 instead of an outdated 4.1.2 if one day they release it.
honestly more than 96% of us won't and will never use any of the crap att is adding to the firmware.the only thing that comes out of that crap is many bugs.
it would of been way better if samsung supply the updates to their handsets instead of the carrier everything would be smooth easy may maybe bugs free.
like i mention before the reason att is not releasing the update is because they want to add their bloatware on the firmware.samsung release the update months back to every carrier in u.s.a and canada is the same firmware for every carrier the difference is the bloatware nothing else.for some reason att is having problems with their bloatware and the firmware is not working well with it that's why.if they stop adding crap to the updates maybe by now we could of been running 4.2.2 instead of an outdated 4.1.2 if one day they release it.
honestly more than 96% of us won't and will never use any of the crap att is adding to the firmware.the only thing that comes out of that crap is many bugs.
it would of been way better if samsung supply the updates to their handsets instead of the carrier everything would be smooth easy may maybe bugs free.

110 of 150 (3,084 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2013 9:30:02 PM
(0)
Tutor
Agree to every word, I think that's another reason people get iPhones, no bloatware/cr*pware and Apple handles the updates.
Agree to every word, I think that's another reason people get iPhones, no bloatware/cr*pware and Apple handles the updates.

111 of 150 (3,034 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2013 12:10:24 AM
(0)
Scholar
At&t is working closely with Samsung to lock your bootloader in the coming weeks. I heard the new update for the s 4 locks the bootloader so custom ROM's will no longer be an option, and wonder if that is why it is taking so long. If at&t locks the bootloader on this phone I will definitely be staying on custom firmware so I don't have to rely on at&t to get all of the security flaws patched when they find them.
At&t is working closely with Samsung to lock your bootloader in the coming weeks. I heard the new update for the s 4 locks the bootloader so custom ROM's will no longer be an option, and wonder if that is why it is taking so long. If at&t locks the bootloader on this phone I will definitely be staying on custom firmware so I don't have to rely on at&t to get all of the security flaws patched when they find them.

112 of 150 (3,007 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2013 12:19:42 AM
(0)
Teacher
I agree 100%
I agree 100%

113 of 150 (3,008 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2013 9:39:54 AM
(0)
Tutor
So maybe I should root it now, instead of waiting for their update because then they will take away the option
So maybe I should root it now, instead of waiting for their update because then they will take away the option

114 of 150 (2,940 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2013 11:07:10 AM
(0)
Tutor

Just yesterday I called at&t customer service. No news on jelly bean 4.2.1 for my galaxys s3. They offered me an upgrade for 200 for the galaxy s4. So let me get this right you want me to pay 200 for features that every other carrier has on their galaxy s3. Lol. To think ive been with them since 05 always upgrade bill is always paid on time. Yet I get the run around. If I gave them a run around in paying my bill. They would have no problem turning off my service and hitting me with early termination fees. So I decided today to call the BBB which took about 7 min to report them. Since every carrier has the updat but us. Thank you at&t for showing your true colors 

Just yesterday I called at&t customer service. No news on jelly bean 4.2.1 for my galaxys s3. They offered me an upgrade for 200 for the galaxy s4. So let me get this right you want me to pay 200 for features that every other carrier has on their galaxy s3. Lol. To think ive been with them since 05 always upgrade bill is always paid on time. Yet I get the run around. If I gave them a run around in paying my bill. They would have no problem turning off my service and hitting me with early termination fees. So I decided today to call the BBB which took about 7 min to report them. Since every carrier has the updat but us. Thank you at&t for showing your true colors 

115 of 150 (2,919 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2013 11:25:59 AM
(0)
Teacher
I will do the same.
I am with at&t since 1999,( the old tdma phones)
I am very disappointed.
I will do the same.
I am with at&t since 1999,( the old tdma phones)
I am very disappointed.

116 of 150 (2,918 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2013 1:17:51 PM
(0)
Scholar

CSPIRE released it last week!  BBB and FTC complaints filed!

ATTJulieCS wrote:

CSPIRE released it last week!  BBB and FTC complaints filed!

ATTJulieCS wrote:

117 of 150 (2,877 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2013 4:10:08 PM
(0)
Tutor
It is going to really suck if they don't bring some of the Premium Suite features with the update, if it ever comes
It is going to really suck if they don't bring some of the Premium Suite features with the update, if it ever comes

118 of 150 (2,807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2013 6:47:35 PM
(0)
Scholar
Samsung has nothing to do with AT&T releasing the update. It's all on AT&T. I read somewhere from a Samsung csr that they have nothing to do with the update, thus meaning that it's all a big lie.

@ julieCS by the way I couldn't help but notice that your profile picture is the Canadian flag. From this point on I'm gonna assume that you are from Canada (duhh) and I wanted to ask you something. How is the galaxy s3 (sgh-i747M) working in Canada? I thought it was the same device hardware and all. And guess what? It's running on 4.1.2.. So all that "testing" is just a big fat scam. Sgh-i747 and Sgh-i747M are the same phones, and AT&T needs all that "testing" when the Canadian version didn't? Tsk tsk tsk more lies. how can two devices be the same and such a big carrier needs so much testing?
Samsung has nothing to do with AT&T releasing the update. It's all on AT&T. I read somewhere from a Samsung csr that they have nothing to do with the update, thus meaning that it's all a big lie.

@ julieCS by the way I couldn't help but notice that your profile picture is the Canadian flag. From this point on I'm gonna assume that you are from Canada (duhh) and I wanted to ask you something. How is the galaxy s3 (sgh-i747M) working in Canada? I thought it was the same device hardware and all. And guess what? It's running on 4.1.2.. So all that "testing" is just a big fat scam. Sgh-i747 and Sgh-i747M are the same phones, and AT&T needs all that "testing" when the Canadian version didn't? Tsk tsk tsk more lies. how can two devices be the same and such a big carrier needs so much testing?

119 of 150 (2,765 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2013 9:55:24 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Jul 13, 2013 at 6:31:06 AM

Let me get this straight your releasing 4.1.2 when this month 4.2.2 is released for all the other carriers dont tell me we have to wait till 2014

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Let me get this straight your releasing 4.1.2 when this month 4.2.2 is released for all the other carriers dont tell me we have to wait till 2014

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
120 of 150 (2,709 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments