Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 4, 2010
10:42:25 AM
View profile
Samsung Strive Battery Life
Edited by DWMerz on Jun 4, 2010 at 10:45:39 AM

Hello,

Could not locate a discussion about this topic but may have missed it somewhere....

I just recently got a Strive.  I am really disappointed in the battery life. I do not have the Data (Internet) plan - I just use the device to talk and text.  The Talk Time spec. says up to 3 hours but it appears that I am getting 1 to 1.5 hours max.  Also the Standby Spec. is up to 10 days.  I don't seem to be getting anywhere near that.

I realize these new 3G devices can be "power hungry".  But I am using the Strive for talk and text only.  I didn't review the specs enough thoroughly before buying.  And if I knew it was only up to 3 hours Talk Time, I might have chosen another device.  But if I at least got the rated specified Talk Time, I would feel it was ok and meeting its standard (but still wouldn't be that happy with it).  I also realize that battery technology is always lagging behind the actual phone demands. But....

Does anyone else have this problem?  What kind of Talk Times do you get with the Strive?  Any ideas or solutions to improve it?  I haven't seen a higher capacity battery offered for the device.  Is there one?

Please let me know your thoughts.  Any input is greatly appreciated!

Hello,

Could not locate a discussion about this topic but may have missed it somewhere....

I just recently got a Strive.  I am really disappointed in the battery life. I do not have the Data (Internet) plan - I just use the device to talk and text.  The Talk Time spec. says up to 3 hours but it appears that I am getting 1 to 1.5 hours max.  Also the Standby Spec. is up to 10 days.  I don't seem to be getting anywhere near that.

I realize these new 3G devices can be "power hungry".  But I am using the Strive for talk and text only.  I didn't review the specs enough thoroughly before buying.  And if I knew it was only up to 3 hours Talk Time, I might have chosen another device.  But if I at least got the rated specified Talk Time, I would feel it was ok and meeting its standard (but still wouldn't be that happy with it).  I also realize that battery technology is always lagging behind the actual phone demands. But....

Does anyone else have this problem?  What kind of Talk Times do you get with the Strive?  Any ideas or solutions to improve it?  I haven't seen a higher capacity battery offered for the device.  Is there one?

Samsung Strive Battery Life

[ Edited ]
7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 10:57:09 AM
(0)
Expert

DWMerz wrote:

Hello,

Take it abck and exchange it before the end of the 30th day from purchase, do not keep it if you are not happy with it.

DWMerz wrote:

Hello,

Take it abck and exchange it before the end of the 30th day from purchase, do not keep it if you are not happy with it.

Re: Samsung Strive Battery Life

2 of 8 (5,982 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 11:19:13 AM
(0)
Tutor

wilcre wrote:

Thanks for the reply! 

Yes, I am aware of the 30 day provision for returning.  However, I would prefer to do that as my last option.  I like everything else about the phone other than the battery life issue.

For the Strive, is there a way to switch it from 3G back to 2G (Edge or GPRS)?  Not sure how much more battery life that would give me?  My last phone was a Blackberry running on the 2G network and it got decent battery life.  However, I wasn't crazy about other things related to the Blackberry.  Hence moving to the Strive.

Please let me know about the 3G to 2G phone network change possibility.  Thanks in advance for the help!

wilcre wrote:

Thanks for the reply! 

Yes, I am aware of the 30 day provision for returning.  However, I would prefer to do that as my last option.  I like everything else about the phone other than the battery life issue.

For the Strive, is there a way to switch it from 3G back to 2G (Edge or GPRS)?  Not sure how much more battery life that would give me?  My last phone was a Blackberry running on the 2G network and it got decent battery life.  However, I wasn't crazy about other things related to the Blackberry.  Hence moving to the Strive.

Please let me know about the 3G to 2G phone network change possibility.  Thanks in advance for the help!

3 of 8 (5,976 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2010 1:35:57 AM
(0)
Contributor

I recently got a samsung strive, and I usually only make 3 short phone calls at maximum on a normal day and the rest is texting. I got up this morning after charging all night, and the phone died on me after 12 hours...and since it died on me sooner yesterday after doing a lot of texing I thought I would cut back. The battery life is just ridiculous! I was thinking about looking into a stronger battery if they make one. My previous phone was a blackberry pearl and i liked it a lot...it lasted for a day and a half with phone calls and texting all day. i am not used to such a short battery life...plus my battery gets really hot when charging, does yours?

I recently got a samsung strive, and I usually only make 3 short phone calls at maximum on a normal day and the rest is texting. I got up this morning after charging all night, and the phone died on me after 12 hours...and since it died on me sooner yesterday after doing a lot of texing I thought I would cut back. The battery life is just ridiculous! I was thinking about looking into a stronger battery if they make one. My previous phone was a blackberry pearl and i liked it a lot...it lasted for a day and a half with phone calls and texting all day. i am not used to such a short battery life...plus my battery gets really hot when charging, does yours?

4 of 8 (5,572 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2010 11:35:03 AM
(0)
Tutor

Suzabeth wrote:

Hello Suzabeth,

Looks like we have lots in common.  Smiley Wink  I also use to own a Blackberry and had the same experience you did with it.  Now, I have the Strive and have been very unhappy with the battery life too.  I also, initially, just used it for calls and text.  And was having to charge it the same as you described.  For some stupid reason, I decided to add the Data plan for the Strive since it was on a Family Messaging plan and only cost $10/month extra.  Well, darn, forget it.  Maybe 2-3 short calls/day, plus a few text message, plus maybe 15 minutes on the internet and the battery is dead.  In some cases I have to charge it twice a day.....  Smiley Mad

I checked all around and there is no higher capacity battery offered for the Strive, at least, not yet.  The more negative feedback we can give about battery life to Samsung and AT&T may help get a better battery though (at least I would hope).

Also, yes the battery and bottom left corner of the phone gets extremely hot during charging.  And I also noticed an increase in temperature after being on a 5-10 minute call.  Not good...

In a previous life, I was a RF hardware cell phone engineer.  The processors and displays on these 3G phones are very power hungry.  So, part of the problem is the phone technology is further ahead of the battery technology.  A problem that will only get worse as phones become more complex.  I know people who have iPhones and are routinely charging them everyday....

I passed my 30 day return on the Strive so I guess I will have to stick with it but I am far from happy.  If I run across anything related to better batteries or this issue itself, I will post it up here.

Thanks for replying to this thread, I was beginning to think I was the only one with this Strive problem....   Smiley Wink

Suzabeth wrote:

Hello Suzabeth,

Looks like we have lots in common.  Smiley Wink  I also use to own a Blackberry and had the same experience you did with it.  Now, I have the Strive and have been very unhappy with the battery life too.  I also, initially, just used it for calls and text.  And was having to charge it the same as you described.  For some stupid reason, I decided to add the Data plan for the Strive since it was on a Family Messaging plan and only cost $10/month extra.  Well, darn, forget it.  Maybe 2-3 short calls/day, plus a few text message, plus maybe 15 minutes on the internet and the battery is dead.  In some cases I have to charge it twice a day.....  Smiley Mad

I checked all around and there is no higher capacity battery offered for the Strive, at least, not yet.  The more negative feedback we can give about battery life to Samsung and AT&T may help get a better battery though (at least I would hope).

Also, yes the battery and bottom left corner of the phone gets extremely hot during charging.  And I also noticed an increase in temperature after being on a 5-10 minute call.  Not good...

In a previous life, I was a RF hardware cell phone engineer.  The processors and displays on these 3G phones are very power hungry.  So, part of the problem is the phone technology is further ahead of the battery technology.  A problem that will only get worse as phones become more complex.  I know people who have iPhones and are routinely charging them everyday....

I passed my 30 day return on the Strive so I guess I will have to stick with it but I am far from happy.  If I run across anything related to better batteries or this issue itself, I will post it up here.

Thanks for replying to this thread, I was beginning to think I was the only one with this Strive problem....   Smiley Wink

5 of 8 (5,523 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2011 6:27:06 AM
(0)
Contributor

I've had issues with the battery not recharging. I took the phone to the ATT service center and was told the Strive has issues that Samsung has not recognized officially as a defect, and therefore they would not provide a fix or a different phone. They told me to avoid letting my phone battery completely discharge, which causes it to resist recharging. The only way to manage it is to remove the battery and recharge it in another phone, then replace the battery in your phone, then never let the battery die. Rediculous. It's a warranty issue, and they offered to replace my phone with a refurbished phone, but indicated the problem exists with many if not all Strive phones. Beyond that, they told me can be of no assistance. 

I hope you get your issue ironed out; maybe try the above and see if that works for your battery life?

I've had issues with the battery not recharging. I took the phone to the ATT service center and was told the Strive has issues that Samsung has not recognized officially as a defect, and therefore they would not provide a fix or a different phone. They told me to avoid letting my phone battery completely discharge, which causes it to resist recharging. The only way to manage it is to remove the battery and recharge it in another phone, then replace the battery in your phone, then never let the battery die. Rediculous. It's a warranty issue, and they offered to replace my phone with a refurbished phone, but indicated the problem exists with many if not all Strive phones. Beyond that, they told me can be of no assistance. 

I hope you get your issue ironed out; maybe try the above and see if that works for your battery life?

6 of 8 (3,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2011 5:17:41 AM
(0)
Contributor

I too say take it back.  I too were looking for the same funtions as you so this phone rreally met my needs HOWEVER after a year of having it the battery has completely died!  Wehn I charge it (or atleast think I am) I come back to it an hour later and it hasnt chargered in the least bit.  Having a phgone is very important since I have little ones and am constaly on the go.  Having to worry about a phone that acts up so often in this short of time soesnt work for me...again  choose something else (just my thoughts from my experience).

I too say take it back.  I too were looking for the same funtions as you so this phone rreally met my needs HOWEVER after a year of having it the battery has completely died!  Wehn I charge it (or atleast think I am) I come back to it an hour later and it hasnt chargered in the least bit.  Having a phgone is very important since I have little ones and am constaly on the go.  Having to worry about a phone that acts up so often in this short of time soesnt work for me...again  choose something else (just my thoughts from my experience).

7 of 8 (2,759 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2012 3:37:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

i have a similar problem....when i plug in my strive, the battery will not charge and the phone will not even turn on. i have had my entire device replaced and on the new device, i have had the battery replaced. i believe that the phones are defective

i have a similar problem....when i plug in my strive, the battery will not charge and the phone will not even turn on. i have had my entire device replaced and on the new device, i have had the battery replaced. i believe that the phones are defective

8 of 8 (2,435 Views)