Samsung Solstice T9 Dictionary?

Contributor

Samsung Solstice T9 Dictionary?

I have had the Samsung Solstice for about a week and for the most part I love it. I use the T9 because I haven't become comforable with the QWERTY keyboard yet. Apparently the T9 dictionary has been making up random words. Like "Nh" or "Oh" or "On't" for "No" or "Not". Also, there are several words that I put in there that the phone has made the default for the words. And it also randomly capitalizes words.

I do know how to use touch screen phones, I'm not some stupid person who just got this phone and has no idea how to use it. I had the LG Vu for about six months until it got stolen.

I've looked ALL OVER for the T9 dictionary on the Solstice and cannot find it.

Is there any way to delete these words or get to the T9 dictionary without having to fully reset the phone?

Message 1 of 19 (7,670 Views)
Contributor

Re: Samsung Solstice T9 Dictionary?

I have the same question. It is really annoying to start typing only to see some of the dumbest workds pop up! How do you edit the dictionary on this phone?
Message 2 of 19 (7,134 Views)
Contributor

I have the same problem. An example is instead of "can" I get "A'am" and instead of "so" I get "r6."

Is there anyone working on this? Hello, AT&T? A little customer service please?

Message 3 of 19 (6,713 Views)
Contributor

I've got the exact same problem, it's gotten to the point now that it's messing with really common words. Like no. Instead of "no" I get "Oo"...WHAT? Does anyone else get those little squares after words too?

Message 4 of 19 (6,585 Views)
Guru

This may not be the best way to teach your phone and it may not even work on the solstice but it worked on my a707. On mine I would type without looking and put in the wrong word and the phone would remember that word, and that word would come each time. I went to create new message, type the word, wrong word shows, press the O key to change the word to the right one, press space, do it again and again until the right word shows the first time. I would then press the red end key, it would say save to drafts and press no, the phone would then remember the right word the next time. If the right word does not show and it goes to "spell" make sure you don't use caps or else it will put a cap mid sentence, if that happens repeat above with lower case. Good luck, I hope this helps.
Message 5 of 19 (6,577 Views)
Contributor

i get the "oo" for no and the little square as well.

the last samsung i had learned words as you type them, even ones you entered incorrectly. i spoke to an att rep who said the dictionary couldn't be edited, only reset. to reset it meant the entire phone! seems to me that if they make a phone that learns words, you should be able to edit them!!

Message 6 of 19 (5,827 Views)
Contributor

I had the same problem.  I still haven't figured out how to delete words in the T9 dictionary, but I did figure out a way to work around the problem.

All you need to do is add the word you want (for example: "are") to the dictionary as a new word.  Then when you type it, the new word ("are") will show up as the first choice with the word you don't want ("ard") being second.

Message 7 of 19 (5,709 Views)
Contributor

Was there ever an answer to this question? I am desperate to get rid of Hat'd instead of have, On't instead of not, Ht instead of it, and these random annoying boxes after words.

Message 8 of 19 (4,728 Views)
Contributor

Yes! I am having the same issue, same exact words. It's been like this from day one and over the last five months it's become increasingly worse. I see hollow box squares, too. And Ht, Gs, On't, Oo, Om, od, ge, etc. It's so annoying. Smiley Sad I have no idea how to add a new word to the dictionary, which is why I don't know how these messed up words got in there in the first place!

Message 9 of 19 (3,782 Views)
Professor

Because it is a lower end QMD, the dictionary cannot be edited, only reset. I just turned of T9 because it  is so irritating.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall
Message 10 of 19 (3,762 Views)

Finally!  I feel as if I have come home.....!  This question of the dictionary has been driving me nuts.  So it's not just me and my phone?  That is very reassuring because I was beginning to doubt my own sanity.  This dictionary just makes words up at random.

Most irritating is 'On't' for not, also 'on't' (just in case I don't want to start a sentence with 'On't' I guess?) then there's 'on - plus the square box. Ii, Hipton, mm, om, wot, ido, lOk, (note the random capital...) lly, ometer, coulda, nov, cd, cf, kbt........ my phone may well be speaking Klingon for all I know.  It sure ain't speaking English!  Hipton fascinates me though, apparently it really used to be an obscure brand of tea. 

It's frustrating to learn that I can't do much about this though.  Amusement value aside. it's pretty irritating.  Still, looking on the bright side, my family are finding my texts far more entertaining these days.

Message 11 of 19 (2,051 Views)
Professor

It's always good to keep the family entertained.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall
Message 12 of 19 (2,037 Views)

I understand the principle of how it works. Typing in 4663 gets you 'home, gone, good, hoof, hood, hone, goof,' and then - apparently - 'immediately, goods, honestly, honest, honesty, inner, goodness, homeowners', and, wait for it.......'Ine'.

You scroll through all the words and pick the one you want.  But what part of the English language is 'Ine'??  (and why the upper case?)

I actually think T9 is clever, what gets me is the non- English words it comes up with.  I mean where did On't come from?  I have never deliberately input it to the phone, so why is it in the dictionary?  And - perhaps more importantly - why can't I edit it out? When I put in 668 the number combination for 'not', 'On't' is the very first suggestion it comes up with, followed by 'on't' without the upper case 'O'. 'not' is actually the THIRD choice.

I'm On't amused.

Message 13 of 19 (2,002 Views)

And I thought I was the only one getting "On't" !!! 
Thank you Thank You THANK YOU !!

You're tip is a godsend!! Man Very Happy

Message 14 of 19 (1,597 Views)

[ Edited ]

I pray thee, sjrogalinski, hold.  Dost thy tongue not oft utter, nor thy quill oft pen such delightful language as that which follows?

• "By my faith, and so I will, now thou tell'st me on't: how dost thou like my leg, Brainworm?"
  •  "Plague him with flies: though that his joy be joy, Yet throw such changes of vexation on't, As it may lose some colour."
  • "Plague on't, now we must appear loving and affectionate, or Sneer will hitch us into a story."
  • "But, as you will not wed, I'll pardon you: Graze where you will you shall not house with me: Look to't, think on't, I do not use to jest."

'Twere a pitiable state were such historic contractions truly lost and forgotten.  Agree'st thou not?

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 15 of 19 (1,585 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support