Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 3, 2012
11:41:24 AM
View profile
Samsung Skyrocket (i727) Gingerbread Update
Edited by jamileh on Apr 3, 2012 at 1:30:35 PM

Hey all - looks like the for the Skyrocket is ready for download today!

To download the update (from your phone):

1. Select Settings from the menu.
  2. Select Software update.
  3. Select Check for Update.
  4. After the software is downloaded, select Install.
  5. After the software is installed, the phone re-starts automatically.
  6. The phone is now upgraded to Kernel version 2.6.35.11, Build number GINGERBREAD.UCLA3.

These are the listed enhancements for this update:

• Improved performance from several Qualcomm patches and other refinements.
  • User interface updates such as the new screen unlock swipe.
  • The ability to reply all to MMS messages.
  • Exchange ActiveSync wipe to remove all content from the device and microSD card.
  • Improved battery indicator icon accuracy. 
--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Hey all - looks like the for the Skyrocket is ready for download today!

To download the update (from your phone):

1. Select Settings from the menu.
  2. Select Software update.
  3. Select Check for Update.
  4. After the software is downloaded, select Install.
  5. After the software is installed, the phone re-starts automatically.
  6. The phone is now upgraded to Kernel version 2.6.35.11, Build number GINGERBREAD.UCLA3.

These are the listed enhancements for this update:

• Improved performance from several Qualcomm patches and other refinements.
  • User interface updates such as the new screen unlock swipe.
  • The ability to reply all to MMS messages.
  • Exchange ActiveSync wipe to remove all content from the device and microSD card.
  • Improved battery indicator icon accuracy. 
--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Samsung Skyrocket (i727) Gingerbread Update

[ Edited ]
74 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(74)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 12:25:46 PM
(0)
Teacher

That's great that you made a new update available for the i727. Unfortunately I think you left out the important details like the release notes for the softare update explaining what updates/changes AT&T has made. From what I can see, you changed the phone icon which I feel was a waste of time. You put a pad lock and the phrase swipe to unlock. I was just fine without having that. Again, waste of time. So what did AT&T engineer's actually do b/c it's not the Android 4.0 update that a lot of us are hoping for. You release it for the HTC Vivid which is great but ICS has been out for months now and it just seems that us as customers are kept in the dark about the time table for release on the phones b/c AT&T wants to make sure it works for their phones. The thing I don't understand is, if free lance developers can make it work within a couple of days, the device manufacturer can make it work as well, why does AT&T need to get invovlved. It works, stop messing with it. Let the manufacturer do their job. It would save you the heart ache of trying to fix something that doesn't need fixing! One last thing, the bloat ware that AT&T puts on the phone is not needed. If you must install, make it so we can unistall it. It's just wasted space. Locking the phone just makes people want to root their phones even more!

That's great that you made a new update available for the i727. Unfortunately I think you left out the important details like the release notes for the softare update explaining what updates/changes AT&T has made. From what I can see, you changed the phone icon which I feel was a waste of time. You put a pad lock and the phrase swipe to unlock. I was just fine without having that. Again, waste of time. So what did AT&T engineer's actually do b/c it's not the Android 4.0 update that a lot of us are hoping for. You release it for the HTC Vivid which is great but ICS has been out for months now and it just seems that us as customers are kept in the dark about the time table for release on the phones b/c AT&T wants to make sure it works for their phones. The thing I don't understand is, if free lance developers can make it work within a couple of days, the device manufacturer can make it work as well, why does AT&T need to get invovlved. It works, stop messing with it. Let the manufacturer do their job. It would save you the heart ache of trying to fix something that doesn't need fixing! One last thing, the bloat ware that AT&T puts on the phone is not needed. If you must install, make it so we can unistall it. It's just wasted space. Locking the phone just makes people want to root their phones even more!

Re: Samsung Skyrocket (i727) Gingerbread Update

2 of 75 (9,457 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 1:26:23 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

I'm sorry you're not happy with the update but I appreciate the feedback. 

I've updated my post with the enhancements for this update so it's more clear. 

--------------

I'm sorry you're not happy with the update but I appreciate the feedback. 

I've updated my post with the enhancements for this update so it's more clear. 

--------------

3 of 75 (9,391 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 1:34:35 PM
(0)
Scholar

Is this an update that is going to apply to I777?

Is this an update that is going to apply to I777?

4 of 75 (9,373 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 1:39:14 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

This specific update impacts the i727 only. 

--------------

This specific update impacts the i727 only. 

--------------

5 of 75 (9,363 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 1:48:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'm on stock but rooted. I tried to install the update. The download completed & then it rebooted the phone into CWM.  The update failed. Still on 2.3.5. I'm assuming that if you're rooted it can't update properly? Anyone know for sure?

I'm on stock but rooted. I tried to install the update. The download completed & then it rebooted the phone into CWM.  The update failed. Still on 2.3.5. I'm assuming that if you're rooted it can't update properly? Anyone know for sure?

6 of 75 (9,346 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 1:51:05 PM
(0)
Contributor
I was excited when I saw that an update was available, but I quickly became disappointed when I found out it was not ics. Wasn't this the update that failed Weeks ago? I hoped that att had foced its attention to the latest Android OS. Since we are now in q2, when is the latest eta for the official release from att?
I was excited when I saw that an update was available, but I quickly became disappointed when I found out it was not ics. Wasn't this the update that failed Weeks ago? I hoped that att had foced its attention to the latest Android OS. Since we are now in q2, when is the latest eta for the official release from att?

7 of 75 (9,343 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 2:10:24 PM
(0)
Tutor

No offense, but you REALLY thought the ICS update would be all of 20MB and come in the form of an OTA update?  Once the ICS update does come... I am certain it will be via Kies. Not over the air.

No offense, but you REALLY thought the ICS update would be all of 20MB and come in the form of an OTA update?  Once the ICS update does come... I am certain it will be via Kies. Not over the air.

8 of 75 (9,330 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 2:45:38 PM
(0)
Contributor
No offense taken, yes I thought this was the ics update. It was promised in q1 2012 and the HTC vivid already received the update over the air. Why would att require software and a PC to update a phone? Seems silly, but I wouldn't put it past them.
No offense taken, yes I thought this was the ics update. It was promised in q1 2012 and the HTC vivid already received the update over the air. Why would att require software and a PC to update a phone? Seems silly, but I wouldn't put it past them.

9 of 75 (9,299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 2:56:58 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by t3chns01s on Apr 3, 2012 at 3:01:35 PM

Because ICS will be a HUGE update.  I used to be a Captivate owner and I remember when we got the Froyo update it had to be installed via Kies. Also, when the Captivate got the official GB update it was only available thru Kies and NOT Over The Air.  I can't imagine ICS will be ANY different.

Also, the HTC Vivid update has ZERO to do with a Samsung update. The only consolation is that the official ICS build for the Skyrocket was leaked a couple weeks ago. That may be a sign that its in the pipeline but, much like the GB update was for the Captivate - I wouldn't hold my breath for the Skyrocket. 

I bought my Skyrocket on eBay so that when something DECENT does come out for AT&T with ICS stock (HTC One X) I can still have the option of using my upgrade that I've been eligible for since Feb 21st.

Because ICS will be a HUGE update.  I used to be a Captivate owner and I remember when we got the Froyo update it had to be installed via Kies. Also, when the Captivate got the official GB update it was only available thru Kies and NOT Over The Air.  I can't imagine ICS will be ANY different.

Also, the HTC Vivid update has ZERO to do with a Samsung update. The only consolation is that the official ICS build for the Skyrocket was leaked a couple weeks ago. That may be a sign that its in the pipeline but, much like the GB update was for the Captivate - I wouldn't hold my breath for the Skyrocket. 

I bought my Skyrocket on eBay so that when something DECENT does come out for AT&T with ICS stock (HTC One X) I can still have the option of using my upgrade that I've been eligible for since Feb 21st.

[ Edited ]
10 of 75 (9,290 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 3:37:26 PM
(0)
Professor
The update appears to have the same problem the last one had. I download it, startthe update, the phone restarts, and the update fails at 75%.
The update appears to have the same problem the last one had. I download it, startthe update, the phone restarts, and the update fails at 75%.

11 of 75 (8,462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 4:05:28 PM
(0)
Tutor

FredW wrote:

Good to know. I was thinking about flashing back to stock, updating, then rerooting but for the minor updates it brings OR the headache you described it doesn't seem worth it.  ICS is another thing altogether!

FredW wrote:

Good to know. I was thinking about flashing back to stock, updating, then rerooting but for the minor updates it brings OR the headache you described it doesn't seem worth it.  ICS is another thing altogether!

12 of 75 (8,449 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 4:30:33 PM
(0)
Contributor

This may be too much to ask here, but when is the ICS/4.0 release coming? It would be nice if AT&T could give some direction as to when it's scheduled and/or why the delay.

This may be too much to ask here, but when is the ICS/4.0 release coming? It would be nice if AT&T could give some direction as to when it's scheduled and/or why the delay.

13 of 75 (8,440 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 5:09:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Hmm mine seems to be up to date (UCKK1). Any way for me to get this update too Jam? Smiley Tongue

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket, an AT&T LTE smartphone. Experience speeds 10x faster than 3G.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Hmm mine seems to be up to date (UCKK1). Any way for me to get this update too Jam? Smiley Tongue

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket, an AT&T LTE smartphone. Experience speeds 10x faster than 3G.
~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

14 of 75 (8,419 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 8:02:29 PM
(0)
Contributor

I just got the update to Gingerbread 2.3.6, and I too was disappointed.  Since the HTC Vivid received ICS, why are we left out in the dark?

I just got the update to Gingerbread 2.3.6, and I too was disappointed.  Since the HTC Vivid received ICS, why are we left out in the dark?

15 of 75 (8,315 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 8:20:48 PM
(0)
Scholar
AMEN, Well said. We All waiting for Android 4.0 not this update!!!!!!
AMEN, Well said. We All waiting for Android 4.0 not this update!!!!!!

16 of 75 (8,308 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2012 8:09:42 AM
(0)
Tutor

Stock phone, non-rooted, update works fine.  I'm just glad they fixed the battery indicator.   It's no ICS but this is Samsung and AT&T we are talking about, notoriously slow at pushing out updates.

Stock phone, non-rooted, update works fine.  I'm just glad they fixed the battery indicator.   It's no ICS but this is Samsung and AT&T we are talking about, notoriously slow at pushing out updates.

17 of 75 (8,172 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2012 11:21:43 AM
(0)
Tutor

My wallpapers aren't sizing correctly with Launcher Pro, they are appearing too large now.

Now I have to resize them. Smiley Sad

My wallpapers aren't sizing correctly with Launcher Pro, they are appearing too large now.

18 of 75 (8,151 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2012 11:27:20 AM
(0)
Teacher

t3chns01s wrote:

You're more than rooted. Smiley Wink

All OTA updates require the stock recovery, which you have replaced.

You have CWM installed, so the update will fail.

Odin back to stock and it will work.

t3chns01s wrote:

You're more than rooted. Smiley Wink

All OTA updates require the stock recovery, which you have replaced.

You have CWM installed, so the update will fail.

Odin back to stock and it will work.

19 of 75 (8,151 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2012 11:28:37 AM
(0)
Teacher

flyjar wrote:

Samsung removed wallpaper scrolling in 2.3.6... why? No clue.

flyjar wrote:

Samsung removed wallpaper scrolling in 2.3.6... why? No clue.

20 of 75 (8,148 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2012 11:42:31 AM
(0)
Tutor
Yep, that explains it, I wonder why they did that.
Yep, that explains it, I wonder why they did that.

21 of 75 (8,389 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2012 11:51:34 AM
(0)
Professor

I am running the stock ROM, which has been rooted.  I unrooted, and my update still fails at 75%.

I am running the stock ROM, which has been rooted.  I unrooted, and my update still fails at 75%.

22 of 75 (8,388 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2012 3:29:24 PM
(0)
Contributor
A waste of time... Between AT&T withholding ICS and Samsung dropping the Skyrocket from Kies update support, it looks like planned obsolescence.
A waste of time... Between AT&T withholding ICS and Samsung dropping the Skyrocket from Kies update support, it looks like planned obsolescence.

23 of 75 (8,324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2012 3:49:36 PM
(0)
Contributor

After this update, Kies no longer supports updates for the Skyrocket. Yep, ns, check it out.

After this update, Kies no longer supports updates for the Skyrocket. Yep, ns, check it out.

24 of 75 (8,314 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2012 1:49:19 PM
(0)
Teacher

How do I prevent the upgrade from completing?  I started it before reading this part and I want it to not complete.  I  pulled out the battery at 75% of downlaod complete but when I power the phone back on, it restarts the upgrade.  I don't want it if I have to give up scrolling wallpapers.

How do I prevent the upgrade from completing?  I started it before reading this part and I want it to not complete.  I  pulled out the battery at 75% of downlaod complete but when I power the phone back on, it restarts the upgrade.  I don't want it if I have to give up scrolling wallpapers.

25 of 75 (8,128 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2012 3:03:05 PM
(0)
Teacher
It seems to me people should just be happy with whatever OS version ships with their phone. Most upgrades don't work out well anyway. I gave up trying custom roms, and the stock gingerbread update wasn't any better. At least stock works perfectly for me. And that's all I want at the end of the day, a working phone. A new OS isn't going to change your life.
It seems to me people should just be happy with whatever OS version ships with their phone. Most upgrades don't work out well anyway. I gave up trying custom roms, and the stock gingerbread update wasn't any better. At least stock works perfectly for me. And that's all I want at the end of the day, a working phone. A new OS isn't going to change your life.

26 of 75 (8,102 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2012 6:57:09 AM
(0)
Contributor
I, like most others, tried the update previously and it failed. Now for the last couple of days I have tried to check for the update and it continues to tell me I am current.

Is there a method to force the update or some other trick anyone knows of? I'm getting a little frustrated like most of you about the whole update process/success/failure rate.

Stock never rooted. Thanks for any help.
I, like most others, tried the update previously and it failed. Now for the last couple of days I have tried to check for the update and it continues to tell me I am current.

Is there a method to force the update or some other trick anyone knows of? I'm getting a little frustrated like most of you about the whole update process/success/failure rate.

Stock never rooted. Thanks for any help.

27 of 75 (7,987 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2012 8:27:09 AM
(0)
Teacher

Load the leaked ICS Rom.  There are simple instructions for installation and rooting after installation.  It runs much better on Skyrocket, battery life is significantly improved.  I've been running it for a week with no noticable issues.

Load the leaked ICS Rom.  There are simple instructions for installation and rooting after installation.  It runs much better on Skyrocket, battery life is significantly improved.  I've been running it for a week with no noticable issues.

28 of 75 (7,977 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2012 12:57:08 PM
(0)
Scholar

Had NO trouble with 2.3.6 Update on my Rooted Skyrocket. It was connected thru my Wi-Fi here at home on download.       You that have installed the Leaked ICS of Ice Cream, have you had any problems and will the Update run in Settings???  Do not want to install then it not Update when Offical one comes.

Had NO trouble with 2.3.6 Update on my Rooted Skyrocket. It was connected thru my Wi-Fi here at home on download.       You that have installed the Leaked ICS of Ice Cream, have you had any problems and will the Update run in Settings???  Do not want to install then it not Update when Offical one comes.

29 of 75 (7,955 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2012 1:22:39 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by shollomon on Apr 7, 2012 at 1:23:49 PM

My understanding is the the official ICS update will not be OTA because of the size.  But even if it is and the update does not work, just grab the official ROM and flash it just like the leak.  The leaked ROM works so well for me that I'm going to be very wary of updating to the official given that T and Samsung are still "tweaking" it.

My understanding is the the official ICS update will not be OTA because of the size.  But even if it is and the update does not work, just grab the official ROM and flash it just like the leak.  The leaked ROM works so well for me that I'm going to be very wary of updating to the official given that T and Samsung are still "tweaking" it.

[ Edited ]
30 of 75 (7,952 Views)