Helpful Links

Samsung Skyrocket (i727) Gingerbread Update

Former Community Manager

Samsung Skyrocket (i727) Gingerbread Update

Hey all - looks like the for the Skyrocket is ready for download today!

To download the update (from your phone):

1. Select Settings from the menu.
  2. Select Software update.
  3. Select Check for Update.
  4. After the software is downloaded, select Install.
  5. After the software is installed, the phone re-starts automatically.
  6. The phone is now upgraded to Kernel version 2.6.35.11, Build number GINGERBREAD.UCLA3.

These are the listed enhancements for this update:

• Improved performance from several Qualcomm patches and other refinements.
  • User interface updates such as the new screen unlock swipe.
  • The ability to reply all to MMS messages.
  • Exchange ActiveSync wipe to remove all content from the device and microSD card.
  • Improved battery indicator icon accuracy. 
--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 75
Tutor

Re: Samsung Skyrocket (i727) Gingerbread Update

Just completed the update and everything seems to work fine. Including the lights at the bottom. The only things I don't like is the loss of the wallpaper scrolling and the loss of the lockscreen picture swiping off. Hopefully Samsung/ATT will fix these 2 issues.

Message 46 of 75
Teacher

Look at all the faux accounts made by the AT&T PR team trying to spin the 2.3.6 update as something positive, what a laugh. This update BROKE more things than it fixed. Did AT&T even test this "update" before releasing it?

Message 47 of 75
Contributor

I'm not a faux account and th update installed perfectly. If I have a complaint, it's the delay in a 4.0 release. I didn't really see the point to this one though. There are some UI changes but no noticeable difference anywhere else.

Message 48 of 75
Tutor

I've also discovered that since I did the update this morning, my LTE speed/connections have been CRAP!
Message 49 of 75
Contributor

Jamileh,

I appreciate your participation on this board. I add my voice to those who have noticed the menu, home, back and search keys will not stay backlit since the new update. I hope this is fast-tracked for a quick fix.

Thanks,

Dan

Message 50 of 75
Scholar

The Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket is the milestone of smartphone world. But it is very odd that still it has not the ICS OS??

Message 51 of 75
Scholar

as the Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket is the milestone in smartphone world, it should have the ICS OS.

Message 52 of 75
Highlighted
Contributor

Repeatedly unsuccessful update.  ATT finally transferred me to the Samsung support center directly.  Samsung informed me that the carrier should have advised me that the update had been made unavailable since some i727 devices were not successfully downloading and installing the 2.3.6 update.

Message 53 of 75
Mentor

Update ran without any hitches on my phone, like others was surprised to see the notification, then disappointed to see what it turned out to be.

Message 54 of 75
Contributor

So, simply asked, what is the status on the ICS update for our SkyRockets?

Message 55 of 75
Employee

There is no official word and there won't be until its out
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 56 of 75

Hi. I did the OTA update on my Skyrocket and it installed fine, and everything seemed to be running smoothly. 

Then I noticed that certain apps were not finding all previous data.  Gallery is not finding all photos that previously appeared in the Gallery (photos I had taken with the phone and that I had downloaded), and a third party app (DejanNotes) that had lots of Memos and Contacts is empty (no data at all.) 

It seems after going to 2.3.6 it is not reading the SD Card or the external memory the same way.  I thought I saw a message about USB storage at some point, but I have not plugged it in to a computer in a while.

Why happened and can I get all my data back easily or do I need to go to back ups?

Fortunately, the stock Calendar and Contacts are fine with my data.

Thank you, Rocketman

Message 57 of 75
gg1
Teacher

This update is crap. My battery gets drained much faster now after update. 1 HR unplugged and battery is down to 79% with moderate use.
Message 58 of 75
Contributor

When I tried this update in February, the update bricked my Samsung Skyrocket.  I had to get a replacement phone from AT&T.  This time, I will NOT update as many people have posted that this update has only minor changes and is not necessary.  Upon receiving the notification, I went into Settings->Applications->All Applications->Device Management->Clear Data.  By clearing data on the Device Management app, it stopped the nag screen for the update and cleared the notification. 

AT&T should stop pushing non-crucial updates on its users.  The last update only allowed 3 postponements (you cannot decline the update) and then it updated the phone automatically making my phone unusable with a white screen of death.  There is no clear way to stop the update.

Message 59 of 75
Scholar

Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket is from AT&T only. So why does this att smartphone's OS can't be updated frm anywhere in this world !! Over the Air or Kies on the other hand in U.S.A. or other places in this world that's should not be a concern. This is logical and technical and user friendly way 

Message 60 of 75
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support