Wireless Forums

Posted Apr 3, 2012
11:41:24 AM
View profile
Samsung Skyrocket (i727) Gingerbread Update

Hey all - looks like the for the Skyrocket is ready for download today!

To download the update (from your phone):

1. Select Settings from the menu.
  2. Select Software update.
  3. Select Check for Update.
  4. After the software is downloaded, select Install.
  5. After the software is installed, the phone re-starts automatically.
  6. The phone is now upgraded to Kernel version 2.6.35.11, Build number GINGERBREAD.UCLA3.

These are the listed enhancements for this update:

• Improved performance from several Qualcomm patches and other refinements.
  • User interface updates such as the new screen unlock swipe.
  • The ability to reply all to MMS messages.
  • Exchange ActiveSync wipe to remove all content from the device and microSD card.
  • Improved battery indicator icon accuracy. 
--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
74 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(74)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2012 2:11:39 PM
(0)
Scholar

Did you have any trouble with the install. Could you send step by step instructions for the install??  Never done this before. What do I use to do backup of the current OS just in case have to put it back in I-727  Thanks

Did you have any trouble with the install. Could you send step by step instructions for the install??  Never done this before. What do I use to do backup of the current OS just in case have to put it back in I-727  Thanks

Re: Samsung Skyrocket (i727) Gingerbread Update

31 of 75 (3,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2012 4:44:32 PM
(0)
Scholar

Since the Update to 2.3.6 Kies now says "Your device does not support software upgrading via Kies" Never said this before update????  So how I am to update to Ice Cream when it comes out????

Since the Update to 2.3.6 Kies now says "Your device does not support software upgrading via Kies" Never said this before update????  So how I am to update to Ice Cream when it comes out????

32 of 75 (3,640 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2012 7:20:31 AM
(0)
Teacher

I posted some information including links related to the leaked ROMS, but it appears to be a verbotten topic (Ve haff vays to make you like our ROMS).  Best to go to XDA for information.

I posted some information including links related to the leaked ROMS, but it appears to be a verbotten topic (Ve haff vays to make you like our ROMS).  Best to go to XDA for information.

33 of 75 (3,549 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2012 8:06:09 PM
(0)
Voyager

Hello,

I think my phone is all messed up. I tried the 2.3.6 update and it failed at 75%. I tried it again and now it fails at 25%. I checked the versions and they are not matching anything I see elswere. Does anyone else have these versions?

Thanks!

SC20120410-195610.png

Hello,

I think my phone is all messed up. I tried the 2.3.6 update and it failed at 75%. I tried it again and now it fails at 25%. I checked the versions and they are not matching anything I see elswere. Does anyone else have these versions?

Thanks!

SC20120410-195610.png

34 of 75 (3,369 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 8:10:10 AM
(0)
Contributor

HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!! I to need to prevent this update!!!! ANY ONE HAVE A SOLUTIION???

I started the update, and postponed it. How do I stop it from installing?? Can I delete the file? {What is the file name/ where is it stored} I’ve reached my maximum amount of times (gee, no abort option.. thank a lot!!)   I can postpone the update anymore – the phone says it will commence after the current postponement finishes... ARRRRRGGG

HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!! I to need to prevent this update!!!! ANY ONE HAVE A SOLUTIION???

I started the update, and postponed it. How do I stop it from installing?? Can I delete the file? {What is the file name/ where is it stored} I’ve reached my maximum amount of times (gee, no abort option.. thank a lot!!)   I can postpone the update anymore – the phone says it will commence after the current postponement finishes... ARRRRRGGG

35 of 75 (3,314 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 8:39:02 AM
(0)
Contributor

Download worked great.  After rebooting phone, it seems that bluetooth connectivity issues with connection to car phone in Jaguar XJ were fixed. No other problems noted up to now.

Download worked great.  After rebooting phone, it seems that bluetooth connectivity issues with connection to car phone in Jaguar XJ were fixed. No other problems noted up to now.

36 of 75 (3,300 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 10:08:01 AM
(0)
Contributor
Well I hope it goes ok. been reading that the update has a lot of flaws and messes up some features.
Well I hope it goes ok. been reading that the update has a lot of flaws and messes up some features.

37 of 75 (3,289 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2012 2:30:58 PM
(0)
Contributor

Still didn't work for me on my Toyota Camry - cannot see emails on the Entune unit!!!!

they both support MAP, my old Blackberry works.

Still didn't work for me on my Toyota Camry - cannot see emails on the Entune unit!!!!

they both support MAP, my old Blackberry works.

38 of 75 (3,194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2012 7:44:24 AM
(0)
Tutor

I completed the 2.3.6 update successfully on my Skyrocket.  Now the 4 touch keys at the bottom (menu, home, back and search) do not light up when I turn the phone on (unlock it).  I have them set to be always on and I checked that setting and it is still set to always on.  If I uncheck always on, check always off, then recheck always on the keys light up and stay lit until I turn the phone off.  When I turn the phone back on those keys remain dark until I repeat the process.  I have tried completely powering down the phone and restarting it with the same results. 

Any suggestions?

I completed the 2.3.6 update successfully on my Skyrocket.  Now the 4 touch keys at the bottom (menu, home, back and search) do not light up when I turn the phone on (unlock it).  I have them set to be always on and I checked that setting and it is still set to always on.  If I uncheck always on, check always off, then recheck always on the keys light up and stay lit until I turn the phone off.  When I turn the phone back on those keys remain dark until I repeat the process.  I have tried completely powering down the phone and restarting it with the same results. 

Any suggestions?

39 of 75 (3,116 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2012 10:39:47 AM
(0)
Tutor

stewa348 wrote:

Any suggestions?

I have the Same Problem with the menu buttons.  I am quite surprised and disappointed that AT&T and Samsung would allow an update with such an obvious issue out to the public.  I was on the phone with tech support for both Samsung and AT&T and they appear to be unable to fix the problem with out resetting the phone, which is not an option, (especially if there is no guarantee that the the reset would work).  I would expect that a patch or something will be on the way as the lack of illumination of the main menu buttons could possibly pose a safety issue.   

stewa348 wrote:

Any suggestions?

I have the Same Problem with the menu buttons.  I am quite surprised and disappointed that AT&T and Samsung would allow an update with such an obvious issue out to the public.  I was on the phone with tech support for both Samsung and AT&T and they appear to be unable to fix the problem with out resetting the phone, which is not an option, (especially if there is no guarantee that the the reset would work).  I would expect that a patch or something will be on the way as the lack of illumination of the main menu buttons could possibly pose a safety issue.   

40 of 75 (3,093 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2012 5:06:10 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for details on the Skyrocket 2.3.6 upgrade.  I have no issues with phone operation except for the wallpaper movement on home screens.  It no longer moves horizontally as it did before the upgrade.  I also notice that while the Settings / Display still shows Gyroscope calibration, there no longer is a calibration for Horizontal movement.  This must effect the wallpaper movement.  Is there a solution forthcoming?  Thank you. 

Thanks for details on the Skyrocket 2.3.6 upgrade.  I have no issues with phone operation except for the wallpaper movement on home screens.  It no longer moves horizontally as it did before the upgrade.  I also notice that while the Settings / Display still shows Gyroscope calibration, there no longer is a calibration for Horizontal movement.  This must effect the wallpaper movement.  Is there a solution forthcoming?  Thank you. 

Re: Samsung Skyrocket (i) Gingerbread Update

41 of 75 (3,157 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2012 4:15:46 AM
(0)
Tutor

stewa348 wrote:

Any suggestions?

Update:  As a workaround, the setting for 6 seconds on does work and I am using that for now.  Would still like to get this reported as a bug in the software update.  Thanks.

stewa348 wrote:

Any suggestions?

Update:  As a workaround, the setting for 6 seconds on does work and I am using that for now.  Would still like to get this reported as a bug in the software update.  Thanks.

42 of 75 (3,121 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2012 7:34:16 AM
(0)
Contributor

Why would I want this update?  WHat are you thinking AT&T?   20 MB download and it isn't even ICS?   Get with the program and get the ICS update out ?   WHy are you so lagging in everything?   Do you want Verizon to beat you out in everything?

WHEN IS THE ICS UPDATE COMING OUT FOR OUR PHONES?

Why would I want this update?  WHat are you thinking AT&T?   20 MB download and it isn't even ICS?   Get with the program and get the ICS update out ?   WHy are you so lagging in everything?   Do you want Verizon to beat you out in everything?

WHEN IS THE ICS UPDATE COMING OUT FOR OUR PHONES?

43 of 75 (3,044 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2012 6:20:26 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by littlewierdo on Apr 15, 2012 at 6:22:23 PM

Guys, scrolling wallpapers are not a big deal, you can get this functionality back by just installing another launcher. There more than a few, personally, I use Go Launcher (open the Play Store aka Google Market and search for Go Launcher Ex) which is free but there are others (I also like ADW Launcher but it is I believe $2). After you have installed another launcher, hit your home button and select the new launcher that you just installed. if you want to use this launcher by default so that it doesnt ask you every time you hit the home button, hit the Home button and tick the 'use launcher by default' checkbox. Another nice feature of Go Launcher is the ability to hide apps you dont use (ie. bloatware). After you have Go Launcher installed, go into your app drawer and hit the menu button on the phone, select hide apps, just tick the apps you want to hide. While not as nice as just removing these apps altogether, it works for me. I hardly even remember having any bloatware installed because I have them hidden. One little disclaimer, Im a proud owner of a Samsung Note, I personally dont have a Galaxy S2 but my sister and mother do.

Guys, scrolling wallpapers are not a big deal, you can get this functionality back by just installing another launcher. There more than a few, personally, I use Go Launcher (open the Play Store aka Google Market and search for Go Launcher Ex) which is free but there are others (I also like ADW Launcher but it is I believe $2). After you have installed another launcher, hit your home button and select the new launcher that you just installed. if you want to use this launcher by default so that it doesnt ask you every time you hit the home button, hit the Home button and tick the 'use launcher by default' checkbox. Another nice feature of Go Launcher is the ability to hide apps you dont use (ie. bloatware). After you have Go Launcher installed, go into your app drawer and hit the menu button on the phone, select hide apps, just tick the apps you want to hide. While not as nice as just removing these apps altogether, it works for me. I hardly even remember having any bloatware installed because I have them hidden. One little disclaimer, Im a proud owner of a Samsung Note, I personally dont have a Galaxy S2 but my sister and mother do.

[ Edited ]
44 of 75 (3,005 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2012 6:47:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

One more thing I forgot to mention, if you are having any troubles installing the update or it makes the phone run poorly after the update has been installed (which might include buggy or sluggish), backup everything on your phone (pictures, movies, contacts - make sure they are syncd current with google or whoever you are syncing with, etc.) and do a factory reset (Settings->Privacy->Factory Reset). During this process, the phone will reboot I believe twice. Once it boots back into Android, setup your wifi (Settings->Wifi) and then check for updates (unless you already installed the update previously, factory resetting does not revert the firmware to older versions, it just clears data and caches off the phone making it as if you bought a new phone with the update already installed), the update should install without any problems. Be warned, a factory reset erases anything custom you may have put on the phone which includes apps (so things like games will no longer be installed and any save data like saved games will be erased). Phone manufacturers try to make these updates so they dont have to erase everything, sometimes, it doesnt go as planned. A factory reset usually fixes any wonkiness that firmware updates bring. While this is not the update everyone has been waiting for, it is a significant one, bringing the Skywocket in line with the latest version of Gingerbread - this brings 2 security fixes that I am aware of that Google has addressed. While ATT can be blamed for untimely releases, they should get a little credit for at least bringing out an update. My Note still has recd nothing, my Captivate (now nearly 3 years old) recd only 3 updates during its entire life.

One more thing I forgot to mention, if you are having any troubles installing the update or it makes the phone run poorly after the update has been installed (which might include buggy or sluggish), backup everything on your phone (pictures, movies, contacts - make sure they are syncd current with google or whoever you are syncing with, etc.) and do a factory reset (Settings->Privacy->Factory Reset). During this process, the phone will reboot I believe twice. Once it boots back into Android, setup your wifi (Settings->Wifi) and then check for updates (unless you already installed the update previously, factory resetting does not revert the firmware to older versions, it just clears data and caches off the phone making it as if you bought a new phone with the update already installed), the update should install without any problems. Be warned, a factory reset erases anything custom you may have put on the phone which includes apps (so things like games will no longer be installed and any save data like saved games will be erased). Phone manufacturers try to make these updates so they dont have to erase everything, sometimes, it doesnt go as planned. A factory reset usually fixes any wonkiness that firmware updates bring. While this is not the update everyone has been waiting for, it is a significant one, bringing the Skywocket in line with the latest version of Gingerbread - this brings 2 security fixes that I am aware of that Google has addressed. While ATT can be blamed for untimely releases, they should get a little credit for at least bringing out an update. My Note still has recd nothing, my Captivate (now nearly 3 years old) recd only 3 updates during its entire life.

45 of 75 (2,999 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2012 7:56:06 AM
(0)
Tutor

Just completed the update and everything seems to work fine. Including the lights at the bottom. The only things I don't like is the loss of the wallpaper scrolling and the loss of the lockscreen picture swiping off. Hopefully Samsung/ATT will fix these 2 issues.

Just completed the update and everything seems to work fine. Including the lights at the bottom. The only things I don't like is the loss of the wallpaper scrolling and the loss of the lockscreen picture swiping off. Hopefully Samsung/ATT will fix these 2 issues.

46 of 75 (2,965 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2012 8:46:27 AM
(0)
Teacher

Look at all the faux accounts made by the AT&T PR team trying to spin the 2.3.6 update as something positive, what a laugh. This update BROKE more things than it fixed. Did AT&T even test this "update" before releasing it?

Look at all the faux accounts made by the AT&T PR team trying to spin the 2.3.6 update as something positive, what a laugh. This update BROKE more things than it fixed. Did AT&T even test this "update" before releasing it?

47 of 75 (2,959 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2012 10:27:11 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm not a faux account and th update installed perfectly. If I have a complaint, it's the delay in a 4.0 release. I didn't really see the point to this one though. There are some UI changes but no noticeable difference anywhere else.

I'm not a faux account and th update installed perfectly. If I have a complaint, it's the delay in a 4.0 release. I didn't really see the point to this one though. There are some UI changes but no noticeable difference anywhere else.

48 of 75 (2,951 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2012 11:44:34 AM
(0)
Tutor
I've also discovered that since I did the update this morning, my LTE speed/connections have been CRAP!
I've also discovered that since I did the update this morning, my LTE speed/connections have been CRAP!

49 of 75 (2,942 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2012 2:22:47 PM
(0)
Contributor

Jamileh,

I appreciate your participation on this board. I add my voice to those who have noticed the menu, home, back and search keys will not stay backlit since the new update. I hope this is fast-tracked for a quick fix.

Thanks,

Dan

Jamileh,

I appreciate your participation on this board. I add my voice to those who have noticed the menu, home, back and search keys will not stay backlit since the new update. I hope this is fast-tracked for a quick fix.

Thanks,

Dan

50 of 75 (2,746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2012 8:14:45 AM
(0)
Scholar

The Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket is the milestone of smartphone world. But it is very odd that still it has not the ICS OS??

The Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket is the milestone of smartphone world. But it is very odd that still it has not the ICS OS??

Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket

51 of 75 (2,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2012 8:19:36 AM
(0)
Scholar

as the Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket is the milestone in smartphone world, it should have the ICS OS.

as the Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket is the milestone in smartphone world, it should have the ICS OS.

52 of 75 (2,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2012 9:30:54 AM
(0)
Contributor

Repeatedly unsuccessful update.  ATT finally transferred me to the Samsung support center directly.  Samsung informed me that the carrier should have advised me that the update had been made unavailable since some i727 devices were not successfully downloading and installing the 2.3.6 update.

Repeatedly unsuccessful update.  ATT finally transferred me to the Samsung support center directly.  Samsung informed me that the carrier should have advised me that the update had been made unavailable since some i727 devices were not successfully downloading and installing the 2.3.6 update.

53 of 75 (2,587 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2012 6:35:26 AM
(0)
Mentor

Update ran without any hitches on my phone, like others was surprised to see the notification, then disappointed to see what it turned out to be.

Update ran without any hitches on my phone, like others was surprised to see the notification, then disappointed to see what it turned out to be.

54 of 75 (2,268 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2012 7:44:49 AM
(0)
Contributor

So, simply asked, what is the status on the ICS update for our SkyRockets?

So, simply asked, what is the status on the ICS update for our SkyRockets?

55 of 75 (2,252 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2012 10:52:47 AM
(0)
Employee
There is no official word and there won't be until its out
There is no official word and there won't be until its out
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

56 of 75 (2,215 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2012 5:58:03 AM
(0)
Teacher

Hi. I did the OTA update on my Skyrocket and it installed fine, and everything seemed to be running smoothly. 

Then I noticed that certain apps were not finding all previous data.  Gallery is not finding all photos that previously appeared in the Gallery (photos I had taken with the phone and that I had downloaded), and a third party app (DejanNotes) that had lots of Memos and Contacts is empty (no data at all.) 

It seems after going to 2.3.6 it is not reading the SD Card or the external memory the same way.  I thought I saw a message about USB storage at some point, but I have not plugged it in to a computer in a while.

Why happened and can I get all my data back easily or do I need to go to back ups?

Fortunately, the stock Calendar and Contacts are fine with my data.

Thank you, Rocketman

Hi. I did the OTA update on my Skyrocket and it installed fine, and everything seemed to be running smoothly. 

Then I noticed that certain apps were not finding all previous data.  Gallery is not finding all photos that previously appeared in the Gallery (photos I had taken with the phone and that I had downloaded), and a third party app (DejanNotes) that had lots of Memos and Contacts is empty (no data at all.) 

It seems after going to 2.3.6 it is not reading the SD Card or the external memory the same way.  I thought I saw a message about USB storage at some point, but I have not plugged it in to a computer in a while.

Why happened and can I get all my data back easily or do I need to go to back ups?

Fortunately, the stock Calendar and Contacts are fine with my data.

Thank you, Rocketman

57 of 75 (2,084 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2012 6:15:13 AM
(0)
Teacher
This update is crap. My battery gets drained much faster now after update. 1 HR unplugged and battery is down to 79% with moderate use.
This update is crap. My battery gets drained much faster now after update. 1 HR unplugged and battery is down to 79% with moderate use.

58 of 75 (1,988 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2012 9:28:47 AM
(0)
Contributor

When I tried this update in February, the update bricked my Samsung Skyrocket.  I had to get a replacement phone from AT&T.  This time, I will NOT update as many people have posted that this update has only minor changes and is not necessary.  Upon receiving the notification, I went into Settings->Applications->All Applications->Device Management->Clear Data.  By clearing data on the Device Management app, it stopped the nag screen for the update and cleared the notification. 

AT&T should stop pushing non-crucial updates on its users.  The last update only allowed 3 postponements (you cannot decline the update) and then it updated the phone automatically making my phone unusable with a white screen of death.  There is no clear way to stop the update.

When I tried this update in February, the update bricked my Samsung Skyrocket.  I had to get a replacement phone from AT&T.  This time, I will NOT update as many people have posted that this update has only minor changes and is not necessary.  Upon receiving the notification, I went into Settings->Applications->All Applications->Device Management->Clear Data.  By clearing data on the Device Management app, it stopped the nag screen for the update and cleared the notification. 

AT&T should stop pushing non-crucial updates on its users.  The last update only allowed 3 postponements (you cannot decline the update) and then it updated the phone automatically making my phone unusable with a white screen of death.  There is no clear way to stop the update.

59 of 75 (1,932 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2012 1:08:36 PM
(0)
Scholar

Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket is from AT&T only. So why does this att smartphone's OS can't be updated frm anywhere in this world !! Over the Air or Kies on the other hand in U.S.A. or other places in this world that's should not be a concern. This is logical and technical and user friendly way 

Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket is from AT&T only. So why does this att smartphone's OS can't be updated frm anywhere in this world !! Over the Air or Kies on the other hand in U.S.A. or other places in this world that's should not be a concern. This is logical and technical and user friendly way 

60 of 75 (1,872 Views)