Samsung Skyrocket (i727) Gingerbread Update

Highlighted
Former Community Manager

Samsung Skyrocket (i727) Gingerbread Update

[ Edited ]

Hey all - looks like the for the Skyrocket is ready for download today!

To download the update (from your phone):

1. Select Settings from the menu.
  2. Select Software update.
  3. Select Check for Update.
  4. After the software is downloaded, select Install.
  5. After the software is installed, the phone re-starts automatically.
  6. The phone is now upgraded to Kernel version 2.6.35.11, Build number GINGERBREAD.UCLA3.

These are the listed enhancements for this update:

• Improved performance from several Qualcomm patches and other refinements.
  • User interface updates such as the new screen unlock swipe.
  • The ability to reply all to MMS messages.
  • Exchange ActiveSync wipe to remove all content from the device and microSD card.
  • Improved battery indicator icon accuracy. 
--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 75 (9,757 Views)
Teacher

Re: Samsung Skyrocket (i727) Gingerbread Update

That's great that you made a new update available for the i727. Unfortunately I think you left out the important details like the release notes for the softare update explaining what updates/changes AT&T has made. From what I can see, you changed the phone icon which I feel was a waste of time. You put a pad lock and the phrase swipe to unlock. I was just fine without having that. Again, waste of time. So what did AT&T engineer's actually do b/c it's not the Android 4.0 update that a lot of us are hoping for. You release it for the HTC Vivid which is great but ICS has been out for months now and it just seems that us as customers are kept in the dark about the time table for release on the phones b/c AT&T wants to make sure it works for their phones. The thing I don't understand is, if free lance developers can make it work within a couple of days, the device manufacturer can make it work as well, why does AT&T need to get invovlved. It works, stop messing with it. Let the manufacturer do their job. It would save you the heart ache of trying to fix something that doesn't need fixing! One last thing, the bloat ware that AT&T puts on the phone is not needed. If you must install, make it so we can unistall it. It's just wasted space. Locking the phone just makes people want to root their phones even more!

Message 2 of 75 (9,567 Views)
Former Community Manager

I'm sorry you're not happy with the update but I appreciate the feedback. 

I've updated my post with the enhancements for this update so it's more clear. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 75 (9,501 Views)
Scholar

Is this an update that is going to apply to I777?

Message 4 of 75 (9,483 Views)
Former Community Manager

This specific update impacts the i727 only. 

--------------

Message 5 of 75 (9,473 Views)
Tutor

I'm on stock but rooted. I tried to install the update. The download completed & then it rebooted the phone into CWM.  The update failed. Still on 2.3.5. I'm assuming that if you're rooted it can't update properly? Anyone know for sure?

Message 6 of 75 (9,456 Views)
Contributor

I was excited when I saw that an update was available, but I quickly became disappointed when I found out it was not ics. Wasn't this the update that failed Weeks ago? I hoped that att had foced its attention to the latest Android OS. Since we are now in q2, when is the latest eta for the official release from att?
Message 7 of 75 (9,453 Views)
Tutor

No offense, but you REALLY thought the ICS update would be all of 20MB and come in the form of an OTA update?  Once the ICS update does come... I am certain it will be via Kies. Not over the air.

Message 8 of 75 (9,440 Views)
Contributor

No offense taken, yes I thought this was the ics update. It was promised in q1 2012 and the HTC vivid already received the update over the air. Why would att require software and a PC to update a phone? Seems silly, but I wouldn't put it past them.
Message 9 of 75 (9,409 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Because ICS will be a HUGE update.  I used to be a Captivate owner and I remember when we got the Froyo update it had to be installed via Kies. Also, when the Captivate got the official GB update it was only available thru Kies and NOT Over The Air.  I can't imagine ICS will be ANY different.

Also, the HTC Vivid update has ZERO to do with a Samsung update. The only consolation is that the official ICS build for the Skyrocket was leaked a couple weeks ago. That may be a sign that its in the pipeline but, much like the GB update was for the Captivate - I wouldn't hold my breath for the Skyrocket. 

I bought my Skyrocket on eBay so that when something DECENT does come out for AT&T with ICS stock (HTC One X) I can still have the option of using my upgrade that I've been eligible for since Feb 21st.

Message 10 of 75 (9,400 Views)
Professor

The update appears to have the same problem the last one had. I download it, startthe update, the phone restarts, and the update fails at 75%.
Message 11 of 75 (8,572 Views)
Tutor

FredW wrote:
The update appears to have the same problem the last one had. I download it, startthe update, the phone restarts, and the update fails at 75%.

Good to know. I was thinking about flashing back to stock, updating, then rerooting but for the minor updates it brings OR the headache you described it doesn't seem worth it.  ICS is another thing altogether!

Message 12 of 75 (8,559 Views)
Contributor

This may be too much to ask here, but when is the ICS/4.0 release coming? It would be nice if AT&T could give some direction as to when it's scheduled and/or why the delay.

Message 13 of 75 (8,550 Views)
ACE - Professor

Hmm mine seems to be up to date (UCKK1). Any way for me to get this update too Jam? Smiley Tongue

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket, an AT&T LTE smartphone. Experience speeds 10x faster than 3G.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 14 of 75 (8,529 Views)
Contributor

I just got the update to Gingerbread 2.3.6, and I too was disappointed.  Since the HTC Vivid received ICS, why are we left out in the dark?

Message 15 of 75 (8,425 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.