Samsung Rugby II messaging issue

Contributor

Samsung Rugby II messaging issue

[ Edited ]

I recently got the Rugby II and I love the phone, except that text messaging doessn't work properly. I returned it within the 30 period and got a brand ne one yesterday. This phone is doing the exact same thing!

To send a text message, first you have to press "send to" and the phone will display the contact(s) you're going to send the message to. Then when you press "send" it should send the message. It only works about half the time. The rest of the time, the menu slides back, cancels the message, and saves it to my outbox. The unsent message has a red circle with a line through it.

It does not attempt to send and fail! It goes back within the phone's menu without any indication that it's attempting to send a message.

In order to actually send the message, you have to go to the outbox and "edit" the cancelled message, then "send to" then "send" all over again. It always sends the message on the second try, which leads me to believe that the phone's software is defective, or I have gotten the second of a bad batch of phones!

Is anyone having this issue? This is the second brand new Rugby II I have gotten and they both do it!

Message 1 of 62 (11,626 Views)
Contributor

Re: Samsung Rugby II messaging issue

To what "center address" are you referring too? And I always let it send completely before closing the phone to make sure that it actually sent. Either way, this phone should not have this problem and is something that the Samsung techs should find a fix for. I'll be changing to a different style phone and keeping my old original Rugby for back up during hunting seasons or rough outdoor activities.

Message 16 of 62 (6,749 Views)
Teacher

Agreed.  The issue does need to be addressed.

Message 17 of 62 (6,734 Views)
Tutor

Recieved a replacement phone in mail today from ATT which I DID NOT ask for but was sent due to my many calls trying to resolve this issue...

The new handset also has the same glitch. I was transfered to Samsung to try to resolve the issue and while they were unable to do anything except try to send me a new one (as if thats gonna do anything), they did at least say that they would refer to this forum directly and send the problem up to the next level to investigate it. My thoughts are the rugby 2 is a lemmon and they dont want to recall it. But will be interested to see if any of you come up with a solution.

Message 18 of 62 (6,674 Views)
Tutor

Dear Samsung, please note that the issue is not that the message fails to send after an attmept is made, the issue IS that the message is placed in the outbox and an attempt at sending it never occurs.

Message 19 of 62 (6,668 Views)
Tutor

OK folks, I just got off the phone with Samsung tech support 888-987-4357. i was tranfered to level 3 support where they supposedly send the issue to the engineers to try to resolve these sorts of things. The guy on the phone siad they typically do not worry about this stuff unless thier customer( ATT not us) complains about it. So keep those calls going to ATT as well as Samsung and perhaps we can get a fix figured out.

Message 20 of 62 (6,544 Views)
Contributor

I had the same issue. I fixed mine by stopping it from saving copys to the outbox.(Menu, Messaging, Messaing Settings, Text Message, Delivery Options, Uncheck keep a copy) Hopefully that works for others.

Message 21 of 62 (6,283 Views)
Teacher

How can you tell if the message sent successfully?

Message 22 of 62 (6,274 Views)
Contributor

Kudenberg said:

I had the same issue. I fixed mine by stopping it from saving copys to the outbox.(Menu, Messaging, Messaing Settings, Text Message, Delivery Options, Uncheck keep a copy) Hopefully that works for others.

Thank you for providing this information! I have been waiting to see if someone would learn enough about the firmware to find a work around. No thank you Samsung and AT&T. I will see if this work around works and post within a month. I wish this information could be bumped to the top of the thread. The work around does seem to be a valid option.

Message 23 of 62 (6,258 Views)
Contributor

I have had my phone for about 3 weeks now. The problem wasn't resolved by disabling the option to save to outbox. Messages were still saved in the outbox. About 75% of my messages failed to be sent on the initial attempt even after disabling this feature. I have now reset my phone hoping that a glitch was caused because of some sort of customization I did. However, some of the messages I am sending are still saved and most of the messages I am trying to send do not go through until the second attempt. If this phone wasn't water resistant and shock resistant I would have returned it the second day. I will give it a couple more days before I decide to return it. 

Message 24 of 62 (6,115 Views)
Teacher

When you disable the save copy, also go in and delete any messages from your outbox.  I'm running some tests around this issue and I'm wondering if it has something to do with storage in some way.  I know inbox messages go first to your SIM and then after that they start going to phone memory but the outbox always seems to go to the phone memory.

Also, do you guys ALWAYS have really good 3G coverage?  The reason I ask is that my wife's phone shows this same issue and she works in a hospital.  I know from experiences with my iPhone and a few others that if you're in an area with poor coverage for an extended period, the phone can sometimes get "stuck", meaning even when you return to a good coverage area the phone doesn't quite work right until you reboot it.  Do you guys show the 3G symbol all the time?

Message 25 of 62 (5,982 Views)
Teacher

Mine does bounce from Edge to 3G quite a bit.

Message 26 of 62 (5,972 Views)
Contributor

On mine, copies of sent messages are still saved to the outbox even though I un-checked "save a copy". I tried emptying the outbox first and rebooting the phone but it still does it.

Message 27 of 62 (5,950 Views)
Contributor

Well, I tried this for 1 month. In this month, I was pleasantly surprised that the problem did not arise for a while, but eventually the problem arose again. Telling the firmware explicitly to not save the message in the outbox and the firmware disregarding my option is a valid dispute against the firmware engineers. The device sometimes would not save messages, but after a while the phone begins saving messages and the error occurs again. I can avoid the problem frequency by going back into the Delivery Options unchecking saving and checking again, but the problem will still show up. I think the real sad part is that there is this on-going thread of customers showing that there indeed exists a problem and the lack of knowledge or support from both Samsung and AT&T.

Message 28 of 62 (5,915 Views)
Contributor

I had the same problem when I got my Rugby 2. What I did to fix the problem was let the cursor that widens when you type shrink back down to it's normal size before I send a message and it works. Normally just push the right button on the d-pad and it will shrink. Then hit send and it should work. All of my messages have sent successfully since I started doing this.

Message 29 of 62 (5,850 Views)
Contributor

Why, why, why did I renew my contract. I bought the Rugby II 3 days ago. I am having the same text problems as everyone else here. It is a crap shoot if my texts are sent or not. My advice is this, Print these threads and take it into the store on a weekend when they are really busy. Explain the problem and show them what you have printed. Humor them and let them replace your SIM card and take your battery out and leave it off for 2 minutes.  Its harder to tell someone that they cant do nothing about it when you are in person in front of alot of potential customers and on-going customers.

Its funny, they know of the problem and yet they continue to sell the defective product......Speaks volumes about there integrity, customer service and ethics.

Message 30 of 62 (5,780 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support