Ask a question

Posted Jul 24, 2010
    12:50:14 PM
    View profile
    Samsung Rugby II messaging issue

I recently got the Rugby II and I love the phone, except that text messaging doessn't work properly. I returned it within the 30 period and got a brand ne one yesterday. This phone is doing the exact same thing!

To send a text message, first you have to press "send to" and the phone will display the contact(s) you're going to send the message to. Then when you press "send" it should send the message. It only works about half the time. The rest of the time, the menu slides back, cancels the message, and saves it to my outbox. The unsent message has a red circle with a line through it.

It does not attempt to send and fail! It goes back within the phone's menu without any indication that it's attempting to send a message.

In order to actually send the message, you have to go to the outbox and "edit" the cancelled message, then "send to" then "send" all over again. It always sends the message on the second try, which leads me to believe that the phone's software is defective, or I have gotten the second of a bad batch of phones!

Is anyone having this issue? This is the second brand new Rugby II I have gotten and they both do it!

61 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (61)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 17, 2011 10:33:54 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

Nope! Doesn't work either. I've tried it both ways - still about half of my texts do not go out.

Re: Samsung Rugby II messaging issue

31 of 62 (1,866 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 18, 2011 12:24:48 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

I have had the same problem with the Rugby II I purchased about 6 months ago! I have been wasting my time for months trying to figure out the texting issue. I'm on my 2nd replacement phone, 2nd sim card and 5th master reset. Samsung denies there is an issue and made me think I was the only one with this problem! I'm getting a different phone.

32 of 62 (1,723 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 27, 2011 2:52:02 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

I was having the same problem, ordered second Rugby II did the same thing, now I use the center button when sending instead of the one that the phone indicates to use (upper right) and it works fine right not?????

33 of 62 (1,671 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 3, 2011 12:30:41 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

I have the same problem I just sent a email to samsung asking why our phones have not been recalled yet, this has been going on for years cause I've had my phone for a year and a half. so I'm unable to take it back.

34 of 62 (1,624 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 3, 2011 1:32:30 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

Good luck with that.  I have been trying for months.

35 of 62 (1,621 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 17, 2011 11:39:05 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Yes everybody that owns this phone is having this problem I think what we all have to do is call Samsung 1-888-987-4357 and complain, I'm also going to contact the Better Business Bureau on this matter to I love this phone and Samsung needs to fix the problem.Smiley Mad

36 of 62 (1,548 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 17, 2011 11:43:40 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

where and what is this center address I don't have anything like this on my rugbys  

37 of 62 (1,548 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 18, 2011 11:11:41 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    I FINALLY FIGURED THIS OUT!! After pushing the send button, you have to wait until the phone says 'OK' before you flip the phone closed or go on to do something else....... if you don't wait then the NEXT message will fail.....(not the current message as I have seen with other phones....that one will go out fine.....but rather the NEXT message is the one that will fail) After you click send......If you don't see the round circle telling you that the message is in the process of being sent.....but instead the phone quickly goes back to the message menu or the main menu....then that message has failed. And you must goto the Outbox and find the failed message and then tell it resend. (and again......make sure you wait until it says OK before you close the phone......otherwise the next message you try to send will fail as well)

38 of 62 (1,536 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 18, 2011 12:28:42 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

I believe this solution was stated back on page 1 of this thread.

39 of 62 (1,530 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 31, 2011 2:31:55 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

I talked to Samsung for an hour, they kept telling me that there was nothing wrong with my phone, and after me telling them and being on the phone for a hour, they told me that I could send the phone to them and they would look at it, but for me not to expect to get the phone back fixed cause there has been no contact with them about the messaging issues, well I just got a email from them saying that it did have a software problem and it was diagnosed and fixed and it's on its way back to me. 

What I suggest is to call Samsung support and get a rma ( that is the only way they will accept a phone that needs something fixed ) number and get your phone looked at. 

I told them I was never buying another Samsung product as long as I live if my phone isn't fixed, and my husband buys alot of high end products. So call Samsung. 

40 of 62 (1,453 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 31, 2011 2:33:20 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

Let us know if it is actually fixed when you get it back.  I have called Samsung repeatedly and they blame AT&T.

41 of 62 (1,516 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 31, 2011 2:35:09 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

You can still send it back to Samsung to have it looked at no matter where you bought it, it's a software problem and the phone won't install the update for it call Samsung support and get a rma # and send it back to them that is what I did and they did find a issue with my phone and it should be fixed I should get my phone in a couple days it is in route back to me, but I just called them an told them I wanted my phone fixed. So check it out. 

42 of 62 (1,515 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 31, 2011 2:41:34 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

jkfontes wrote:

No, it is not because the phone is closed too quickly. No, it is not because of poor reception, either, because I have this issue when I have excellent reception and the phone should send right away upon detecting reception. This has been bothering me for some time and I keep trying for an update, but apparently I should have checked reviews before getting this phone and should not trust the firmware engineers to do their jobs properly. HEY AT&T/SAMSUNG FIX IT! I tried pressing the OK using the right tab, but this did not resolve the issue. I tried pressing the center AT&T button, but this did not resolve the issue. What I do is just keep the phone open and if after pressing "OK" and not seeing the "SENDING..." screen, but see the home screen, I have to go back into the messaging center and go into outbox. In the outbox there is a red circle with a slash through it. I then have to repeat the whole process. THANK YOU AT&T & SAMSUNG! I couldn't have typed and sent this on my phone.

jkfontes wrote:

No, it is not because the phone is closed too quickly. No, it is not because of poor reception, either, because I have this issue when I have excellent reception and the phone should send right away upon detecting reception. This has been bothering me for some time and I keep trying for an update, but apparently I should have checked reviews before getting this phone and should not trust the firmware engineers to do their jobs properly. HEY AT&T/SAMSUNG FIX IT! I tried pressing the OK using the right tab, but this did not resolve the issue. I tried pressing the center AT&T button, but this did not resolve the issue. What I do is just keep the phone open and if after pressing "OK" and not seeing the "SENDING..." screen, but see the home screen, I have to go back into the messaging center and go into outbox. In the outbox there is a red circle with a slash through it. I then have to repeat the whole process. THANK YOU AT&T & SAMSUNG! I couldn't have typed and sent this on my phone.

jkfontes wrote:

jkfontes wrote:

jkfontes wrote:

jkfontes wrote:

jkfontes wrote:

jkfontes wrote:

jkfontes wrote:

There is a update problem the phone won't do the update, call Samsung support and get a rma number and send your phone to them to be repaired I sent mine in telling them that there was a problem and they did find that the phone doesn't do the software update, so call them my phone should be back to me in a couple days and they emailed me and said that the issue was fixed on my phone. 

43 of 62 (1,514 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 3, 2011 11:59:08 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    The solution I remember seeing on page 1....about closing the phone too early..... didn't have to do with the NEXT text failing..... When you close the phone too early (before it says SENT) the current text goes out fine....it's the NEXT text you try to send that fails....... I have not had a text fail in almost a month by following this rule.......wait until it says SENT every time....... before closing the phone or moving on to something else......

44 of 62 (1,487 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 3, 2011 4:34:30 PM
    (0)
    Teacher
    Agreed.

45 of 62 (1,478 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 9, 2011 10:49:37 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

I was having the same texting issue. I called Samsung and they told me the steps to do a custom reset on the phone and it fixed the problem so far. Back up all your contacts to your sim card or they will be lost. Remove sim card and restart phone. it will prompt to Install sim card but don't. Dial on your key pad *2767*2878# then hit confirm. shut off phone and put sim Back in. Install battery and then restart your phone. You should be good to go.

Re: Samsung Rugby II messaging issue Resolved

46 of 62 (1,444 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 9, 2011 10:53:32 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

Great.  Give us an update in a week or two?

47 of 62 (1,442 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 9, 2011 11:06:14 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

K hopefully it continues to work it has since yesterday.

48 of 62 (1,440 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 15, 2011 1:56:19 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

ya so they were full of crap it didn't work long.

49 of 62 (1,405 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 15, 2011 2:00:29 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

Shocker!

50 of 62 (1,403 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 23, 2011 5:46:10 PM
    (0)
    Contributor
    Well, any luck with the repair? Mine does the samething and now the battery light flashes rapidly even when it is charged. The battery starts to flash, the phone beeps then goes into sleep mode. It stays in sleep mode even when I open it. Any one have this problem too? I've turned it off and on, I've taken the battery out, nothing fixes it.

51 of 62 (1,539 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 27, 2011 5:20:13 PM
    (0)
    Contributor
    Edited by popptj on Jun 27, 2011 at 5:21:00 PM

I am on my 2nd Rugby with the same result.  I am still within the return time though and I guess will return it again.  I like this phone..I can txt one handed and drive really effectively.  I had the first rubgy and did not have this problem.   Anyone have any recommendations for another phone?

[ Edited ]
    52 of 62 (1,512 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 5, 2011 1:34:50 PM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Another month and I have had no failed texts by following the simple rule....... Always wait until it says SENT.......every time....... before closing the phone or moving on to something else...... If you close it too early then the next text you try to send will fail......if you forget and the next text does fail..... then goto the outbox and tell it to resend....(but this time wait until it says SENT....... before closing the phone or moving on to something else)

53 of 62 (1,473 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 5, 2011 2:39:29 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

Right on!

54 of 62 (1,469 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 2, 2011 8:19:39 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

I am on my THIRD Samsung Rugby II phone.  AT&T replaced it each hime under warranty after their "trouble shooting" failed to fix the problem.  Each had the exact same problem.  About half the time (sometimes more, sometimes less), the outgoing message is not sent, and is stored in the "outbox" with a red circle.  I have to hit "resend" in order for it to send.  Each time I called ATT about this, they say something ridiculous like "that is a new one" or "we were unaware of this issue".  All you have to do is do a quick keyword search for "samsung rugby II message problems" and this ATT forum pops right up with 6 pages of complaints.  I have read the posts here, and can assure the readers that my problem is not from me hitting send and closing the phone before it sends, or hitting the "send" button instead of the center button.  This is a known problem that I am sure is a software issue that Samsung should FIX.

This is really the only issue I have with this phone.  I like the phone for how durable it is, and I don't want or need a smart phone.  I just wish this problem would be fixed.

55 of 62 (1,324 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 16, 2011 2:52:08 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Wow, I didn't realize this was such a huge issue.  Thought my phone just sucked and dealt with it for over a year now.  Geez...  at&t has priorities out of sync with what is supposted to be happening here.  From what I've gathered the lack of concern over our phone's issue is most likely due to the fact that we are a small percentage of customers and we really don't affect the bottom line at the end of the day.  Seems to still be quite a few of us.  Any ideas how to get their attention?

56 of 62 (1,239 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 22, 2011 10:14:37 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    I received a new Samsung phone last week (due to another issue)....and this phone does not have the messaging issue..... You can close the phone while it's sending and everything woks fine moving forward.......... The operating system shows a newer version and there is also a higher number listed under the battery.....(hardware revision maybe?) Old OS - A847UCJD6 New OS - A847UCJK2 Old HW rev - 1101 New HW rev - 1109 I tried to tell my old phone to check for Software Updates.....and it said failed communication with AT&T.....also had a coupla buddies try and they got the same result......... Check for Software Updates on my new phone says 'None Available' Note: If you close the phone early while sending to multiple recipients, that text will fail.......

57 of 62 (1,225 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 26, 2011 5:12:58 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Ok, here is what I have tried. First let me say that I am screwed becuase I bought the phone through EBAY and do not know who or where to send it back.. So, after having this problem for hte first week I came here. I first tried the "WAITING" to see if hte message you sent said sent and then closed my phone and to be honest that has worked today. I will report back in a week or so. I think this might be it becaue I noticed the ONE difference I have seen from this and the original phone is the resetting aspect. by this I mean when I was on line with the Rugby and then just shut the phone, when I logged back on it would always take me to my homepage. Now when I just close my phone and log on with the Rugby 2 it takes me right back to where I was and what website I was visiting on my last log in??? Seems like the phone does not reset or something. That being the case, maybe ifyou shut the phone without it actually being sent, the next text you send, the phone may read it was not actually compleated or something?? Who knows.. I will keep you posted.. And thank you all for this help!

58 of 62 (1,158 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 6, 2012 7:33:54 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

I've had the same issue, and the same runaround. Samsung says it's the SIM card, and I should try another. Went to the AT&T store, where they of course suggested an upgrade. I told them my next phone will say Verizon on it, so no. They gave me a new SIM card, problem persisted.  Samsung said if the SIM card didn’t work, I could send it in and they would look at it.  7-10 days plus shipping time for the turnaround.  Again, saw that on the forum.

The one new thing that the AT&T rep said was that he heard that Samsung was working on a patch, but no time frame on that.  Said it would come over the air automatically, no user action needed.  Interesting, since Samsung says there’s nothing wrong with the phone.

I have done the *2767*2878# reset, and It’s working for now.  We’ll see….

59 of 62 (1,027 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 6, 2012 7:39:19 PM
    (0)
    Contributor
    Never mind, it just did the same thing again. I'll let you guys know how I like my Verizon phone

60 of 62 (1,026 Views)