Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 15, 2011
11:45:16 AM
Samsung Nexus S for AT&T doesn't work on MicroCell

Problem Summary:

The problem I’m having, in short, is that my Samsung Nexus S for AT&T (Model GT-I9020A) doesn’t function with my MicroCell (or others). When I operate the Nexus S in my apartment (no AT&T coverage, MicroCell only) most of the time the phone will show no service at all (i.e. won’t connect to the MicroCell). Sometimes, right after boot, the Nexus S will camp on “AT&T MicroCell” however I cannot send/receive phone calls or text messages and after 5 minutes it will drop the signal. 

I’ve validated my SIM card and/or account is not the problem by using my HTC Nexus One (N1) with the same SIM in which case the phone works fine with my MicroCell. I’ve validated that the Nexus S is compatible with the AT&T network by (a) looking at Samsung’s website for the phone (link), and (b) it works perfectly fine on public AT&T towers – it’ll get 3G and transfer data & voice over it. I’ve validated it isn’t the MicroCell by using my Nexus One, my fiance’s iPhone 3GS which both work fine. I’ve also shown it is a general issue with my Nexus S and MicroCells by trying two other friend’s MicroCells (yes they added me to their MicroCell account) – couldn’t connect the Nexus S to those. I’ve also factory reset the phone twice and replaced the SIM.

Tech Support Troubleshooting:

Call #1 (9/4) – First call to tech support. Spoke with Daniel Sailor, tried to troubleshoot, no resolution, said he would open a ticket and they’d try to reset the SIM remotely.

Call #2 (9/16) - Called tech support again - spoke to Sean Cruise - tried to troubleshoot - no resolution. I believe he said he’d open up a ticket as well and that I try calling warranty.

Call #3 (9/17) - Called Warranty - spoke with Marry Gomez - was told that MicroCell didn't work due to network outage - this doesn't make sense but was told to wait 5 days and then if not resolved call back.

Call #4 (9/26) - Called back to tech support - spoke with Frank Parker - call was quickly dropped - called back - don't remember who I talked to but they told me that I needed talk to Samsung.

Call #5 (9/26) - Called Samsung - they said they didn't know what the issue was and they don't replace phones. If I wanted to I could send my phone in for inspection and they'd repair it if they found anything wrong. This wouldn't work given Samsung doesn't test with AT&T MicroCells so they wouldn't see the problem.

Call #6 (9/26) - Called back to tech support - spoke with Patricia - escalated me to Kristie - Kristie then escalated this to ICU - was told that if they didn’t resolve this in the next call they’d replace my phone with something equivalent.

Call #7 (9/27) – Received a call from ICU (Allison) to say that she’d received the case and that she would be investigating it. She would get back to me in two days (on the 29th).

Call #8 (10/3) – Called back to tech support because hadn’t heard from Allison – they indicated that she tried to call me on the 29th but I didn’t pick up (I was out of service) and that she would call me back soon.

Call #9 (10/?) – I don’t have the date noted down but Allison from ICU called back. We discussed more and agreed that I should test the phone on other people’s MicroCells and then we’ll talk again next week.

Call #10 (10/10) – Allison from ICU called back to check on my results. I reported that I tested two other MicroCells (to which my # was added) and my Nexus S did not work on either of them (though my N1 did). Allison then proceeded to tell me that the phone I’m using isn’t compatible with AT&T’s 3G network. I am surprised to hear this, if this was correct it doesn’t make sense that Best Buy would sell me the Nexus S specifically for AT&T w/ a 2 year contract if it wasn’t compatible with AT&Ts network. In my opinion Best Buy should only be authorized to sell phones that are compatible with said network, especially if they’re going to setup a 2 year contract. That said I’m confident this is not the issue: (1) looking at Samsung’s website my model is explicitly intended for AT&T, also looking at FCC filings it targeted all the same bands, (2) my Nexus S gets 3G perfectly fine on regular AT&T towers. I asked that if we aren’t going to resolve this with a replacement that will work that we at least cancel my contract. Allison said she would speak with her supervisor.http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/GT-I9020PWAATT-specs (indicates AT&T as the sole targeted carrier) 

Call #11 (10/11) – Allison called back, said she spoke with the supervisor and they are not able to cancel the contract. My point of view is I signed a contract with a phone that doesn’t work with the AT&T network, I need that to be resolved or the contract revoked.

Problem Summary:

The problem I’m having, in short, is that my Samsung Nexus S for AT&T (Model GT-I9020A) doesn’t function with my MicroCell (or others). When I operate the Nexus S in my apartment (no AT&T coverage, MicroCell only) most of the time the phone will show no service at all (i.e. won’t connect to the MicroCell). Sometimes, right after boot, the Nexus S will camp on “AT&T MicroCell” however I cannot send/receive phone calls or text messages and after 5 minutes it will drop the signal. 

I’ve validated my SIM card and/or account is not the problem by using my HTC Nexus One (N1) with the same SIM in which case the phone works fine with my MicroCell. I’ve validated that the Nexus S is compatible with the AT&T network by (a) looking at Samsung’s website for the phone (link), and (b) it works perfectly fine on public AT&T towers – it’ll get 3G and transfer data & voice over it. I’ve validated it isn’t the MicroCell by using my Nexus One, my fiance’s iPhone 3GS which both work fine. I’ve also shown it is a general issue with my Nexus S and MicroCells by trying two other friend’s MicroCells (yes they added me to their MicroCell account) – couldn’t connect the Nexus S to those. I’ve also factory reset the phone twice and replaced the SIM.

Tech Support Troubleshooting:

Call #1 (9/4) – First call to tech support. Spoke with Daniel Sailor, tried to troubleshoot, no resolution, said he would open a ticket and they’d try to reset the SIM remotely.

Call #2 (9/16) - Called tech support again - spoke to Sean Cruise - tried to troubleshoot - no resolution. I believe he said he’d open up a ticket as well and that I try calling warranty.

Call #3 (9/17) - Called Warranty - spoke with Marry Gomez - was told that MicroCell didn't work due to network outage - this doesn't make sense but was told to wait 5 days and then if not resolved call back.

Call #4 (9/26) - Called back to tech support - spoke with Frank Parker - call was quickly dropped - called back - don't remember who I talked to but they told me that I needed talk to Samsung.

Call #5 (9/26) - Called Samsung - they said they didn't know what the issue was and they don't replace phones. If I wanted to I could send my phone in for inspection and they'd repair it if they found anything wrong. This wouldn't work given Samsung doesn't test with AT&T MicroCells so they wouldn't see the problem.

Call #6 (9/26) - Called back to tech support - spoke with Patricia - escalated me to Kristie - Kristie then escalated this to ICU - was told that if they didn’t resolve this in the next call they’d replace my phone with something equivalent.

Call #7 (9/27) – Received a call from ICU (Allison) to say that she’d received the case and that she would be investigating it. She would get back to me in two days (on the 29th).

Call #8 (10/3) – Called back to tech support because hadn’t heard from Allison – they indicated that she tried to call me on the 29th but I didn’t pick up (I was out of service) and that she would call me back soon.

Call #9 (10/?) – I don’t have the date noted down but Allison from ICU called back. We discussed more and agreed that I should test the phone on other people’s MicroCells and then we’ll talk again next week.

Call #10 (10/10) – Allison from ICU called back to check on my results. I reported that I tested two other MicroCells (to which my # was added) and my Nexus S did not work on either of them (though my N1 did). Allison then proceeded to tell me that the phone I’m using isn’t compatible with AT&T’s 3G network. I am surprised to hear this, if this was correct it doesn’t make sense that Best Buy would sell me the Nexus S specifically for AT&T w/ a 2 year contract if it wasn’t compatible with AT&Ts network. In my opinion Best Buy should only be authorized to sell phones that are compatible with said network, especially if they’re going to setup a 2 year contract. That said I’m confident this is not the issue: (1) looking at Samsung’s website my model is explicitly intended for AT&T, also looking at FCC filings it targeted all the same bands, (2) my Nexus S gets 3G perfectly fine on regular AT&T towers. I asked that if we aren’t going to resolve this with a replacement that will work that we at least cancel my contract. Allison said she would speak with her supervisor.http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/GT-I9020PWAATT-specs (indicates AT&T as the sole targeted carrier) 

Call #11 (10/11) – Allison called back, said she spoke with the supervisor and they are not able to cancel the contract. My point of view is I signed a contract with a phone that doesn’t work with the AT&T network, I need that to be resolved or the contract revoked.

Samsung Nexus S for AT&T doesn't work on MicroCell

19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 11:48:37 AM
(0)
Tutor

Btw regarding call #11 (the last one) - I asked that the supervisor contact me and Allison said she'd set it up but it would be after 72 hours.

Ah yes - so my questions:

(1) Has anyone tried using a Samsung Nexus S (with ATT bands - I9020A) with a MicroCell? If so any problems? If so did you resolve?

(2) Any suggestions as to how to get this resolved with ATT?

Btw regarding call #11 (the last one) - I asked that the supervisor contact me and Allison said she'd set it up but it would be after 72 hours.

Ah yes - so my questions:

(1) Has anyone tried using a Samsung Nexus S (with ATT bands - I9020A) with a MicroCell? If so any problems? If so did you resolve?

(2) Any suggestions as to how to get this resolved with ATT?

Re: Samsung Nexus S for AT&T doesn't work on MicroCell

2 of 20 (1,584 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2011 10:38:57 AM
(0)
Professor

The Mcell supports up to 4 simultaneous users. How many phones do you have that are using the Mcell at the same time?

The Mcell supports up to 4 simultaneous users. How many phones do you have that are using the Mcell at the same time?

3 of 20 (1,552 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2011 1:38:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

Just one or two phones on the MicroCell at once. Again if I just switch to using my Nexus One it works fine (operation of the two is mutually exclusive since they use the same SIM Smiley Happy ).

Just one or two phones on the MicroCell at once. Again if I just switch to using my Nexus One it works fine (operation of the two is mutually exclusive since they use the same SIM Smiley Happy ).

4 of 20 (1,546 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2011 1:47:59 PM
(0)
Professor
Have you rebooted your router?
Have you rebooted your router?

5 of 20 (1,543 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2011 3:42:34 PM
(0)
Tutor

Rebooted router, rebooted cable modem, rebooted phones, rebooted MicroCell.

Given that the N1 works I think it demonstrates that the home setup works.

6 of 20 (1,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2011 4:57:05 PM
(0)
Professor
I appreciate your effort. You may be right about Nexus S not compatible. Now you can try this:

1. Delete N1 off the list of phones allowed to use the Mcell.
2. Shutdown the router to erase the cache of N1's physical address. Shutdown the Mcell.
3. Insert the SIM card in the Nexus S if not already inserted.
4. Enter the Nexus S in the list of phones allowed to use the Mcell.
5. Start up the router.
6. Start up the Mcell.
7. Make a call on the Nexus S.

Best wishes.
I appreciate your effort. You may be right about Nexus S not compatible. Now you can try this:

1. Delete N1 off the list of phones allowed to use the Mcell.
2. Shutdown the router to erase the cache of N1's physical address. Shutdown the Mcell.
3. Insert the SIM card in the Nexus S if not already inserted.
4. Enter the Nexus S in the list of phones allowed to use the Mcell.
5. Start up the router.
6. Start up the Mcell.
7. Make a call on the Nexus S.

Best wishes.

7 of 20 (1,531 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2011 7:24:18 PM
(0)
Professor

krclloyd wrote:

Yeah that's the logic I would follow. It's not impossible for a new technology (like a new phone) to beg for an upgrade of the underlying infrastructure. Like you want to upgrade WORD to the latest only to find that you have to upgrade the OS too, and then only to find that the computer is too slow with not enough memory. Sure it used to work before but the precedent means nothing when it comes to interoperability. 

krclloyd wrote:

Yeah that's the logic I would follow. It's not impossible for a new technology (like a new phone) to beg for an upgrade of the underlying infrastructure. Like you want to upgrade WORD to the latest only to find that you have to upgrade the OS too, and then only to find that the computer is too slow with not enough memory. Sure it used to work before but the precedent means nothing when it comes to interoperability. 

8 of 20 (1,524 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2011 2:53:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm facing the exact same problem. When I get to my office, sometimes I get the Microcell, sometimes my nexus makes the 3g microcell crash, and it crashes my phone in the same time. I have to reboot everything (phone and 3g microcell) once or twice in order to make it work. Somehow I manage to make it work, but I spend 30 minutes everytime I reach my office on rebooting all the stuff.

I'm gonna send the microcell back, but the problem is I don't have any signal at work....

I'm so disappointed... and I'm a computer engineer so I'm sure about my network and I'm also sure the nexus S and the Microcell don't work together.

And this is a problem because if I don't have any signal at work, and the microcell that I paid 200$ doesn't work, so I want my contract cancelled or another phone provided.

I'm facing the exact same problem. When I get to my office, sometimes I get the Microcell, sometimes my nexus makes the 3g microcell crash, and it crashes my phone in the same time. I have to reboot everything (phone and 3g microcell) once or twice in order to make it work. Somehow I manage to make it work, but I spend 30 minutes everytime I reach my office on rebooting all the stuff.

I'm gonna send the microcell back, but the problem is I don't have any signal at work....

I'm so disappointed... and I'm a computer engineer so I'm sure about my network and I'm also sure the nexus S and the Microcell don't work together.

And this is a problem because if I don't have any signal at work, and the microcell that I paid 200$ doesn't work, so I want my contract cancelled or another phone provided.

9 of 20 (1,508 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2011 3:55:14 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Oct 19, 2011 at 4:11:40 PM

In the online mgmt of the Mcell, there's a mobile number and user name for each phone allowed to access the Mcell. I wonder if the Mcell access is by those identifiers only. I would be inclined to think that the Mcell, acting as a wireless bridge, would work in conjunction with the router that does the DHCP. The router would have to give an IP to each phone coming online. This IP would be associated with the physical address of the phone, namely the mac address. Once a phone is registered via the Mcell access list, I wonder if one may not be able to transfer the SIM card to a second phone with a different mac address and IP. You can transfer it but it may not work if the Mcell associates the mobile number with the IP and mac address of the first phone.

Edit: So in the one SIM /two phones scenario, you would have to flush the caches to clear the association of the SIM with the first phone's IP. Else the data would be routed to the first phone even though the SIM is in the second phone.

In the online mgmt of the Mcell, there's a mobile number and user name for each phone allowed to access the Mcell. I wonder if the Mcell access is by those identifiers only. I would be inclined to think that the Mcell, acting as a wireless bridge, would work in conjunction with the router that does the DHCP. The router would have to give an IP to each phone coming online. This IP would be associated with the physical address of the phone, namely the mac address. Once a phone is registered via the Mcell access list, I wonder if one may not be able to transfer the SIM card to a second phone with a different mac address and IP. You can transfer it but it may not work if the Mcell associates the mobile number with the IP and mac address of the first phone.

Edit: So in the one SIM /two phones scenario, you would have to flush the caches to clear the association of the SIM with the first phone's IP. Else the data would be routed to the first phone even though the SIM is in the second phone.

[ Edited ]
10 of 20 (1,502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2011 6:20:12 PM
(0)
Scholar

I have similar situation, but it is with Samsung Infuse and Samsung Captivate. See my story here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-samsung-infuse/126332-infuse-3g-microcell.html

Much to my surprise, the new simcard is working so far on the Infuse. I received the card two days ago, and it has been connecting to the microcell.  It still disconnects once in a while, but switching in and out of flight mode would reconnect it. I know two days might be too soon to tell, but I can hope.  As for the Capitvate, the owner is out of town, I just wish it will work the same.

I have similar situation, but it is with Samsung Infuse and Samsung Captivate. See my story here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-samsung-infuse/126332-infuse-3g-microcell.html

Much to my surprise, the new simcard is working so far on the Infuse. I received the card two days ago, and it has been connecting to the microcell.  It still disconnects once in a while, but switching in and out of flight mode would reconnect it. I know two days might be too soon to tell, but I can hope.  As for the Capitvate, the owner is out of town, I just wish it will work the same.

11 of 20 (1,453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2011 8:09:19 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Oct 20, 2011 at 8:28:31 AM

tim horton wrote:

Tim,

Thank you for the post. That seems to say that the M-cell follows the SIM of the phone, not the phone itself even after the SIM has been "registered" with the M-cell. So it appears that anyone can move a SIM to any AT&T phone, just as if the phones were on 3G.

I also find a post that may help someone with an unresolved issue. If it was me, I would go through all posts with a green check mark to see how others were able to resolve their issues.

The M-Cell is a Cisco product so that may lead to other support possibilities.

EDIT: Was the SIM originally from the old RAZR before you moved it to your new phone? I still wonder if your new phone suffered from "identity" conflict as it appeared to the M-cell. Would the M-cell and router use the SIM, IP and Mac address of the phone in order to identify the true identity of the user on the M-cell management list? Surely, the M-cell was designed to be a plug-and-play device but that may not mean that one can change a component of the phone anyway one wants and have the phone still working through the M-cell.

tim horton wrote:

Tim,

Thank you for the post. That seems to say that the M-cell follows the SIM of the phone, not the phone itself even after the SIM has been "registered" with the M-cell. So it appears that anyone can move a SIM to any AT&T phone, just as if the phones were on 3G.

I also find a post that may help someone with an unresolved issue. If it was me, I would go through all posts with a green check mark to see how others were able to resolve their issues.

The M-Cell is a Cisco product so that may lead to other support possibilities.

EDIT: Was the SIM originally from the old RAZR before you moved it to your new phone? I still wonder if your new phone suffered from "identity" conflict as it appeared to the M-cell. Would the M-cell and router use the SIM, IP and Mac address of the phone in order to identify the true identity of the user on the M-cell management list? Surely, the M-cell was designed to be a plug-and-play device but that may not mean that one can change a component of the phone anyway one wants and have the phone still working through the M-cell.

[ Edited ]
12 of 20 (1,442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2011 2:15:00 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by iceduck on Oct 20, 2011 at 2:16:47 PM

I returned my Microcell today.

Tomorrow I will be going to the best buy where I bought this phone and I'm gonna ask them to figure out a solution.

I won't pay for a service ATT can't provide me at work.

The ATT guy told me the Nexus S was kinda "unsupported" by AT&T and that they DO NOT normally sell them.

If you check on their database, they don't even have the Nexus S. Per example, in the ATT wireless control panel, I cannot setup my phone as Nexus S.

The seller told me it was listed as a Nexus One. Anyway it's a mess.

I really think it's not related to IP or anything else, I think it is purely hardware incompatible.

Tomorrow I will be going to the best buy where I bought this phone and I'm gonna ask them to figure out a solution.

The ATT guy told me the Nexus S was kinda "unsupported" by AT&T and that they DO NOT normally sell them.

If you check on their database, they don't even have the Nexus S. Per example, in the ATT wireless control panel, I cannot setup my phone as Nexus S.

I really think it's not related to IP or anything else, I think it is purely hardware incompatible.

[ Edited ]
13 of 20 (1,426 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2011 2:22:44 PM
(0)
Scholar

The simcard I replaced came with the Infuse and I had the Infuse when it was first released. It worked for a bit and became very unpredictable. The new on that is still working and  does not look the same as the old one. I speculate there must be additional "program" in the new card.

The simcard I replaced came with the Infuse and I had the Infuse when it was first released. It worked for a bit and became very unpredictable. The new on that is still working and  does not look the same as the old one. I speculate there must be additional "program" in the new card.

14 of 20 (1,423 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2011 3:40:17 PM
(0)
Professor

iceduck wrote:

A signal booster by Wilson Electronics may work.

iceduck wrote:

A signal booster by Wilson Electronics may work.

15 of 20 (1,419 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2011 3:49:00 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Oct 20, 2011 at 3:57:11 PM

tim horton wrote:

Your speculation may fit the truth. Apparently, a SIM card tells a phone which carrier's signal it can connect to, for example AT&T prepaid GoPhones cannot roam in many places. The fact that GoPhones can be retrofitted with a postpaid contract SIM card and then roam, seems to prove that. In this case the "carrier" is AT&T M-cell.

Is your Microcell a Cisco product? If so, I'd think that Cisco may have a good answer.

tim horton wrote:

Your speculation may fit the truth. Apparently, a SIM card tells a phone which carrier's signal it can connect to, for example AT&T prepaid GoPhones cannot roam in many places. The fact that GoPhones can be retrofitted with a postpaid contract SIM card and then roam, seems to prove that. In this case the "carrier" is AT&T M-cell.

Is your Microcell a Cisco product? If so, I'd think that Cisco may have a good answer.

[ Edited ]
16 of 20 (1,418 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2011 10:48:21 AM
(0)
Scholar

Yes, my microcell is from at&t/cisco, and this is a 2nd one. I had the 1st one for about 11 month. One of the trouble shooting process was to get a new one. The new one did not solve anything and I think the old one actually had no problems. The new simcard is still working.

Yes, my microcell is from at&t/cisco, and this is a 2nd one. I had the 1st one for about 11 month. One of the trouble shooting process was to get a new one. The new one did not solve anything and I think the old one actually had no problems. The new simcard is still working.

17 of 20 (1,409 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2011 3:04:58 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Oct 21, 2011 at 3:05:47 PM

tim horton wrote:

I'm glad that the Microcell works out well for you now.

tim horton wrote:

I'm glad that the Microcell works out well for you now.

[ Edited ]
18 of 20 (1,403 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2011 11:53:17 PM
(0)
Tutor

don't feel bad.. I just got a Samsung Galaxy S2 SkyRocket, and I've been using a microcell since 2010.  It works on all my iphones and even works with the regular Galaxy S2.  But right now the Skyrocket won't connect to it.  The phone supposed to fall back from 4G LTE to HSPA+/HSPA ... technically speaking it should handshake with the microcell, but it isn't.  And the Skyrocket is a phone sold by AT&T direct.  

Now I have to wait and see.  having 1 bar sux.. 

don't feel bad.. I just got a Samsung Galaxy S2 SkyRocket, and I've been using a microcell since 2010.  It works on all my iphones and even works with the regular Galaxy S2.  But right now the Skyrocket won't connect to it.  The phone supposed to fall back from 4G LTE to HSPA+/HSPA ... technically speaking it should handshake with the microcell, but it isn't.  And the Skyrocket is a phone sold by AT&T direct.  

Now I have to wait and see.  having 1 bar sux.. 

19 of 20 (1,375 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2011 3:36:47 PM
(0)
Mentor

I have a Samsung Captivate and can report it does NOT have any "identity issues" with the uCell. I am on the original 1 year old SIM card, nothing special there.

I am not exactly sure how the Phone + SIM card combination gets registered on the ATT uCell account since I have not have any issues with that.

The best thing to keep you sanity is to keep it simple: KISS principle. If I was in your shoes, I would try to start with a clean slate as far as the phone/SIM registration goes:

1- Reset the online account registration (Who knows what Phone EMEI or SIM identifier is on that record?)

2- Reset the uCell with the Reset button for at least 30 seconds (dump staled records)

3- Pick a phone+ SIM combination and stick to it.

As far as the Captivate it has no registration issues but the fancier 4G/LTE may have issues working with the uCell.

The uCell was designed before the 4G era and may not be "Forward Compatible"

The 4G phone may not switch back to 3G band in a way the uCell handles.

The Samsung 4G phone was design with state of the art radio chipsets (Qualcomm?) and tested against worldclass standards unlike the uCell mickey-mouse toy box.

If you want cellular signal, switch to Verizon they have much greater coverage than ATT can provide. In case you are in a basement or need out of town coverage, Verizon offers a well designed Samsung uCell that simply works without any aggravation.

SF.

I have a Samsung Captivate and can report it does NOT have any "identity issues" with the uCell. I am on the original 1 year old SIM card, nothing special there.

I am not exactly sure how the Phone + SIM card combination gets registered on the ATT uCell account since I have not have any issues with that.

The best thing to keep you sanity is to keep it simple: KISS principle. If I was in your shoes, I would try to start with a clean slate as far as the phone/SIM registration goes:

1- Reset the online account registration (Who knows what Phone EMEI or SIM identifier is on that record?)

2- Reset the uCell with the Reset button for at least 30 seconds (dump staled records)

3- Pick a phone+ SIM combination and stick to it.

As far as the Captivate it has no registration issues but the fancier 4G/LTE may have issues working with the uCell.

The uCell was designed before the 4G era and may not be "Forward Compatible"

The 4G phone may not switch back to 3G band in a way the uCell handles.

The Samsung 4G phone was design with state of the art radio chipsets (Qualcomm?) and tested against worldclass standards unlike the uCell mickey-mouse toy box.

If you want cellular signal, switch to Verizon they have much greater coverage than ATT can provide. In case you are in a basement or need out of town coverage, Verizon offers a well designed Samsung uCell that simply works without any aggravation.

SF.

Re: Samsung Galaxy-I Captivate mostly working on uCell

20 of 20 (1,372 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments