Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 2, 2011
6:02:11 PM
View profile
Samsung Mythic Touch Screen NOT Working... Please Help!
Well, it looks like my almost 7 1/2 month old Mythic is starting to go bad. Smiley Sad Over the past couple of days, it's been having random shutdowns, and being uncooperative.

Unfortunately, my (troublesome) brother snatched my phone away from me, and I was trying to get it back from him. I had to wrestle him to get it out of his hands, but I finally pried it loose. When I looked at the screen, it was doing the same thing as it has been lately - randomly shutting down.

Usually, if I leave it alone for fifteen minutes, it will recover and work normally. He must have pressed the bottom buttons in the process of trying to get it away from him or something. I'm not really sure.

Ten minutes later, it finally turned on and STAYED on. But when I tried to press the "Menu" button...it would not work. I pressed it again. Still nothing. This really began to worry me.

I left it alone (on, I think - it was probably turning on and off) for a time span of about 5 hours. I then checked it again to see if the screen would now work. Nothing.

The battery is now sitting out, and I'll see if leaving it out for about an hour will make the screen work again. If the screen does not work, the phone is useless. It's an all-touchscreen phone.

I really, really am crossing my fingers to see if it will work. I'm using it on a prepaid GoPhone plan, which means if it happens to die, I'm going to have to purchase another one for full-retail price. And I really don't have the money to buy one right now...

Can someone please offer me some advice/tell me what to do to make my Mythic's touch screen work again? This is pretty urgent. I use my phone every day.

Please, please help. Smiley Sad Thank you very much for ANY replies...

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Well, it looks like my almost 7 1/2 month old Mythic is starting to go bad. Smiley Sad Over the past couple of days, it's been having random shutdowns, and being uncooperative.

Unfortunately, my (troublesome) brother snatched my phone away from me, and I was trying to get it back from him. I had to wrestle him to get it out of his hands, but I finally pried it loose. When I looked at the screen, it was doing the same thing as it has been lately - randomly shutting down.

Usually, if I leave it alone for fifteen minutes, it will recover and work normally. He must have pressed the bottom buttons in the process of trying to get it away from him or something. I'm not really sure.

Ten minutes later, it finally turned on and STAYED on. But when I tried to press the "Menu" button...it would not work. I pressed it again. Still nothing. This really began to worry me.

I left it alone (on, I think - it was probably turning on and off) for a time span of about 5 hours. I then checked it again to see if the screen would now work. Nothing.

The battery is now sitting out, and I'll see if leaving it out for about an hour will make the screen work again. If the screen does not work, the phone is useless. It's an all-touchscreen phone.

I really, really am crossing my fingers to see if it will work. I'm using it on a prepaid GoPhone plan, which means if it happens to die, I'm going to have to purchase another one for full-retail price. And I really don't have the money to buy one right now...

Can someone please offer me some advice/tell me what to do to make my Mythic's touch screen work again? This is pretty urgent. I use my phone every day.

Please, please help. Smiley Sad Thank you very much for ANY replies...

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Samsung Mythic Touch Screen NOT Working... Please Help!

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2011 9:11:42 AM
(0)
Guru

If the phone is in good condition and was purchased new, it should still be in warranty.

Is your prepaid SIM card the only SIM that's been used in the phone?  If so, I'd contact AT&T's warranty department at 1-800-801-1101.  Otherwise, I'd call Samsung at 1-800-SAMSUNG.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

If the phone is in good condition and was purchased new, it should still be in warranty.

Is your prepaid SIM card the only SIM that's been used in the phone?  If so, I'd contact AT&T's warranty department at 1-800-801-1101.  Otherwise, I'd call Samsung at 1-800-SAMSUNG.

Re: Samsung Mythic Touch Screen NOT Working... Please Help!

2 of 17 (8,911 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2011 10:03:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Thanks a bunch for the reply. I am the second owner of my Mythic; I bought it slightly used off of craigslist.

I'm guessing the seller I bought it from had another SIM card other than prepaid in it, also...

At this point, I'm about ready to launch the phone into the snow. It's very stressful, considering I have no back-up device to use right now.

I think I'm going to pay a visit to my AT&T store later on today, and if no fix there, I'll give a call over to Samsung.

Thanks a bunch for the reply. I am the second owner of my Mythic; I bought it slightly used off of craigslist.

I'm guessing the seller I bought it from had another SIM card other than prepaid in it, also...

At this point, I'm about ready to launch the phone into the snow. It's very stressful, considering I have no back-up device to use right now.

I think I'm going to pay a visit to my AT&T store later on today, and if no fix there, I'll give a call over to Samsung.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 17 (8,904 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2011 10:06:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Here's a Samsung Technical Support e-mail that I have received earlier this morning...

Dear Bryan,

Thank you for your inquiry.

We do apologize for the inconvenience. If removing the battery and SIM card would not work, we invite you to call Samsung Customer Support by phone at our toll free number 1-888-987-4357 between the hours 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Saturday, Central Standard Time to process a repair order for the phone since you have a year warranty from the date of purchase.
Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products.
Sincerely,
Technical Support
Kaye

Here's a Samsung Technical Support e-mail that I have received earlier this morning...

Dear Bryan,

Thank you for your inquiry.

We do apologize for the inconvenience. If removing the battery and SIM card would not work, we invite you to call Samsung Customer Support by phone at our toll free number 1-888-987-4357 between the hours 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Saturday, Central Standard Time to process a repair order for the phone since you have a year warranty from the date of purchase.
Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products.
Sincerely,
Technical Support
Kaye

4 of 17 (8,897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2011 10:27:27 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by erichamion on Feb 3, 2011 at 10:29:32 AM

Hm.  Getting it from Craigslist doesn't make it refurbished (since it never went back to the manufacturer for reconditioning), but it does mean you may not know how old it really is.  On certain account types, the warranty AT&T provides doesn't transfer from one line to another, but if it's less than a year old, Samsung may [Edit, based on your post that appeared while I was typing: will, not may] still provide warranty service.  If it's in warranty, AT&T replaces the phone, while Samsung usually repairs it.

Given all that, this is probably what I would do in your situation:

1. It's reasonable to assume the phone was actually used before you bought it, but you may or may not know that for certain.  If you aren't completely sure that it was used, calling AT&T's warranty may be worthwhile.  The most likely outcome is a few minutes wasted on the phone, but if it turns out it can be exchanged, that would be a nice surprise.  Even if they can't replace it, they might be able to say how old it is, which would help with deciding whether to contact Samsung.

2. Call Samsung.  See whether the phone is in warranty, what the process is, and how long it takes.  Since it's normally a repair and the phone needs shipped both directions, it may be a significant time.

3. Get another phone.  If it's just for temporary use while your Mythic is being repaired, get the cheapest one you can.  There's usually a refurb prepaid phone on the website for about $5-$10.  If you need something for more long-term use (because Samsung won't repair it or the process doesn't meet your needs), you'll probably want something more upscale than that.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Hm.  Getting it from Craigslist doesn't make it refurbished (since it never went back to the manufacturer for reconditioning), but it does mean you may not know how old it really is.  On certain account types, the warranty AT&T provides doesn't transfer from one line to another, but if it's less than a year old, Samsung may [Edit, based on your post that appeared while I was typing: will, not may] still provide warranty service.  If it's in warranty, AT&T replaces the phone, while Samsung usually repairs it.

Given all that, this is probably what I would do in your situation:

1. It's reasonable to assume the phone was actually used before you bought it, but you may or may not know that for certain.  If you aren't completely sure that it was used, calling AT&T's warranty may be worthwhile.  The most likely outcome is a few minutes wasted on the phone, but if it turns out it can be exchanged, that would be a nice surprise.  Even if they can't replace it, they might be able to say how old it is, which would help with deciding whether to contact Samsung.

2. Call Samsung.  See whether the phone is in warranty, what the process is, and how long it takes.  Since it's normally a repair and the phone needs shipped both directions, it may be a significant time.

3. Get another phone.  If it's just for temporary use while your Mythic is being repaired, get the cheapest one you can.  There's usually a refurb prepaid phone on the website for about $5-$10.  If you need something for more long-term use (because Samsung won't repair it or the process doesn't meet your needs), you'll probably want something more upscale than that.

[ Edited ]
5 of 17 (8,883 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2011 11:27:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Thanks. Smiley Happy

When calling warranty/Samsung, how could they tell how old the phone is? By searching something such as the IMEI number, or perhaps something else? Stamped on the battery is a date - 2009.11.11. Would that be the date that the phone was manufactured?

In the mean time, I'm going to ask a friend to use their old LG Neon. There's a crack in the screen from where it was dropped, but hey, at least it's a phone... Smiley Wink

Thanks. Smiley Happy

When calling warranty/Samsung, how could they tell how old the phone is? By searching something such as the IMEI number, or perhaps something else? Stamped on the battery is a date - 2009.11.11. Would that be the date that the phone was manufactured?

In the mean time, I'm going to ask a friend to use their old LG Neon. There's a crack in the screen from where it was dropped, but hey, at least it's a phone... Smiley Wink

6 of 17 (8,873 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2011 1:03:03 PM
(0)
Guru

Given an IMEI, they can generally tell when the phone was activated.  If the manufacturer can't tell when it was sold, some manufacturers go 15 months from date of manufacture, but Samsung seems to have a pretty good handle on when their phones are sold.

The date on the battery is probably when the battery was manufactured, which may not be when the phone was manufactured.

I'm glad you have something you can use temporarily.  It's not the same as having your phone working, but it surely might help ease the pain.

Given an IMEI, they can generally tell when the phone was activated.  If the manufacturer can't tell when it was sold, some manufacturers go 15 months from date of manufacture, but Samsung seems to have a pretty good handle on when their phones are sold.

The date on the battery is probably when the battery was manufactured, which may not be when the phone was manufactured.

I'm glad you have something you can use temporarily.  It's not the same as having your phone working, but it surely might help ease the pain.

7 of 17 (8,860 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2011 1:15:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Right. I suppose I'll have to give Samsung a call. Hopefully, they can fix it soon. And without any problems.

I really hope it's in warranty still...

Right. I suppose I'll have to give Samsung a call. Hopefully, they can fix it soon. And without any problems.

I really hope it's in warranty still...

8 of 17 (8,855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 9:11:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
I paid a visit to my local AT&T retailer in the mall last night. Although the young lady was helpful, it's a little less help than I would have expected... Typical among them, though, the last guy didn't really bother much to help with a PUK Code I had a while back. Oh well.

As she had advised to do so, I will give Customer Service a call after lunch. I really hope they can help out.

I paid a visit to my local AT&T retailer in the mall last night. Although the young lady was helpful, it's a little less help than I would have expected... Typical among them, though, the last guy didn't really bother much to help with a PUK Code I had a while back. Oh well.

As she had advised to do so, I will give Customer Service a call after lunch. I really hope they can help out.

9 of 17 (8,806 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 10:11:05 AM
(0)
Professor

One last try could be a batter pull while the Mythic is on. Let it sit a couple of minutes and put it back in. Give a try and see what happens.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

One last try could be a batter pull while the Mythic is on. Let it sit a couple of minutes and put it back in. Give a try and see what happens.

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

10 of 17 (8,796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 10:46:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Wild Banchi on Feb 4, 2011 at 10:48:05 AM

Thanks, ghostryder. That would be my last resort. The phone is no longer in warranty... It passed on 1/31/11. Smiley Sad

If that trick does not make the screen work, then I will just have to purchase a new one. Which is pretty unfortunate, because I am going to be BROKE.

I just got off the phone with AT&T CS and Samsung Tech Support. The AT&T rep said to call Samsung - I called Samsung, and the lady said that it would cost around $70 to get the screen replaced. I paid $105 together for the phone itself...

Well... Mythic, you've been a great phone. The best I ever had. Smiley Sad

Thanks, ghostryder. That would be my last resort. The phone is no longer in warranty... It passed on 1/31/11. Smiley Sad

If that trick does not make the screen work, then I will just have to purchase a new one. Which is pretty unfortunate, because I am going to be BROKE.

I just got off the phone with AT&T CS and Samsung Tech Support. The AT&T rep said to call Samsung - I called Samsung, and the lady said that it would cost around $70 to get the screen replaced. I paid $105 together for the phone itself...

Well... Mythic, you've been a great phone. The best I ever had. Smiley Sad

[ Edited ]
11 of 17 (5,745 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 5:14:05 PM
(0)
Professor

If you're going to decide to really be flat broke, take a look at the Blackberry Torch. I bought one for my wife and I am so envious. It is the best phone I have ever used. It is a smart phone and you know what that requires. But it will be extra cost. 

Have you asked how much an upgrade will cost at this point in your contract? Since you're the primary account holder, you will be able to upgrade before the rest of the family plan.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

If you're going to decide to really be flat broke, take a look at the Blackberry Torch. I bought one for my wife and I am so envious. It is the best phone I have ever used. It is a smart phone and you know what that requires. But it will be extra cost. 

Have you asked how much an upgrade will cost at this point in your contract? Since you're the primary account holder, you will be able to upgrade before the rest of the family plan.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

12 of 17 (5,731 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 5:23:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

ghostryder wrote:

Actually, I'm using the phone on prepaid (I think I stated that earlier), so there's no upgrade eligibility available, here. Smiley Sad I'd have to pay full price to get another one. That's one good thing about contracts... Smiley Wink Yes, the Torch IS cool... The only thing I do not like about it is the cramped keyboard. Other than that, it's pretty cool! Smiley Very Happy

ghostryder wrote:

Actually, I'm using the phone on prepaid (I think I stated that earlier), so there's no upgrade eligibility available, here. Smiley Sad I'd have to pay full price to get another one. That's one good thing about contracts... Smiley Wink Yes, the Torch IS cool... The only thing I do not like about it is the cramped keyboard. Other than that, it's pretty cool! Smiley Very Happy

13 of 17 (5,727 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 5:35:58 PM
(0)
Professor

Oops...

Well then, you can get a Torch (yeah, I'm gonna keep pushing the torch, I don't find the keyboard cramped thou) with a new 2-year contract for $9.99. Check here. Yeah, its a referb, but we have seen that they are usually much better than the mass produced ones.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

Oops...

Well then, you can get a Torch (yeah, I'm gonna keep pushing the torch, I don't find the keyboard cramped thou) with a new 2-year contract for $9.99. Check here. Yeah, its a referb, but we have seen that they are usually much better than the mass produced ones.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

14 of 17 (5,724 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 8:26:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
The Torch is cool, but considering it's a smartphone, I don't think I could afford the data plan - even if it's just the 200MB plan. However, that price is attractive...

I think I'll just have to get another Mythic. It was a great phone, and I'm sure the next one will be just as good...

The Torch is cool, but considering it's a smartphone, I don't think I could afford the data plan - even if it's just the 200MB plan. However, that price is attractive...

I think I'll just have to get another Mythic. It was a great phone, and I'm sure the next one will be just as good...

15 of 17 (5,706 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 8:42:39 PM
(0)
Professor

well I tried  

good luck with a new mythic. Maybe there is something new in QM phones at the AT&T stores.?...

~~~Seth Mendenhall

well I tried  

good luck with a new mythic. Maybe there is something new in QM phones at the AT&T stores.?...

~~~Seth Mendenhall

16 of 17 (5,698 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2011 6:30:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Thanks for your help, anyway. You can't say that you didn't try. Smiley Wink

Maybe there is something new, it's just left undiscovered by me...

Thanks for your help, anyway. You can't say that you didn't try. Smiley Wink

Maybe there is something new, it's just left undiscovered by me...

17 of 17 (5,684 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments