Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 21, 2009
2:56:56 PM
View profile
Samsung Jack/Propel Pro - WIFI vs Data Plan

Hey guys,

I am potentially interested in the Samsung Jack because of Windows Mobile and the layout of the phone in general. However, I do not want to purchase a data plan.They told me at the AT&T store that they cannot activate a PDA without a data plan. So, I'm wondering if I can pay for the data plan so it can be activated and then take the data plan off. Will my Samsung Jack be able to receive updates through the WIFI connection?

If the Jack must be updated through a data plan because it's a PDA what about the Propel Pro. It also has WIFI, Windows Mobile 6.1, and slides instead of having the keys displayed. Is the Propel Pro considered a PDA?

Glen

Hey guys,

I am potentially interested in the Samsung Jack because of Windows Mobile and the layout of the phone in general. However, I do not want to purchase a data plan.They told me at the AT&T store that they cannot activate a PDA without a data plan. So, I'm wondering if I can pay for the data plan so it can be activated and then take the data plan off. Will my Samsung Jack be able to receive updates through the WIFI connection?

If the Jack must be updated through a data plan because it's a PDA what about the Propel Pro. It also has WIFI, Windows Mobile 6.1, and slides instead of having the keys displayed. Is the Propel Pro considered a PDA?

Glen

Samsung Jack/Propel Pro - WIFI vs Data Plan

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2009 6:27:44 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by guandalf on Jun 21, 2009 at 6:28:41 PM
That is not entirely correct. I know a number of people who have purchased PDA's without a data plan. Just go through the online purchase process and you will see that a data plan is not a must. What do you mean by your device being "updated"? You can have the same connectivity features with WiFi as you would with a dataplan.
Message Edited by guandalf on 06-21-2009 06:28:41 PM
That is not entirely correct. I know a number of people who have purchased PDA's without a data plan. Just go through the online purchase process and you will see that a data plan is not a must. What do you mean by your device being "updated"? You can have the same connectivity features with WiFi as you would with a dataplan.
Message Edited by guandalf on 06-21-2009 06:28:41 PM

Re: Samsung Jack/Propel Pro - WIFI vs Data Plan

[ Edited ]
2 of 15 (9,665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2009 6:56:54 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Xtinder on Jun 21, 2009 at 6:57:40 PM

Hey Glen,

I just purchased the Samsung Jack today and you DO NOT have to have the data plan to use this phone. There are even settings on the phone where you can turn off certain ways that your phone connects. Such as the WiFi, Data, Bluetooth and MEdiaNet. Takes some figuring out but its worth it. Only drawback to the phone I am finding so far is its not a touch screen. This phone rates a 9 in my book and am not giving it a 10 because they should have made it a touch screen.

You won't regret it. Smiley Happy

P.S. I got my phone at a Sam's Club Kiosk and they were under 50.00 with a 2 year contract upgrade. Online I could get the phone for 49.99 only after paying 149.99 and waiting to get the $100.00 Visa card they send with it. Was easier and faster to get it at Sam's.

Good luck!

Message Edited by Xtinder on 06-21-2009 08:57:40 PM

Hey Glen,

I just purchased the Samsung Jack today and you DO NOT have to have the data plan to use this phone. There are even settings on the phone where you can turn off certain ways that your phone connects. Such as the WiFi, Data, Bluetooth and MEdiaNet. Takes some figuring out but its worth it. Only drawback to the phone I am finding so far is its not a touch screen. This phone rates a 9 in my book and am not giving it a 10 because they should have made it a touch screen.

You won't regret it. Smiley Happy

P.S. I got my phone at a Sam's Club Kiosk and they were under 50.00 with a 2 year contract upgrade. Online I could get the phone for 49.99 only after paying 149.99 and waiting to get the $100.00 Visa card they send with it. Was easier and faster to get it at Sam's.

Good luck!

Message Edited by Xtinder on 06-21-2009 08:57:40 PM

[ Edited ]
3 of 15 (9,657 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2009 8:24:26 PM
(0)
Teacher
The only other reason I can think for getting the data plan is that when I bought my Jack at the AT&T store, I was informed that it was a requirement in order to be eligible for the $100 rebate.
The only other reason I can think for getting the data plan is that when I bought my Jack at the AT&T store, I was informed that it was a requirement in order to be eligible for the $100 rebate.

4 of 15 (9,644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2009 8:32:15 PM
(0)
Contributor

By updated I mean since it's a smart phone it automatically downloads software and firmware updates I assume correct?

I've been told by the online customer service people that the only phone that you must get a data plan with is the iPhone. 

Today when I went into the AT&T store they told me that in order to get the $100 rebate that I would have to sign up for $30 worth of extra features and the data plan would cover that. And I replied, well then I just won't get the rebate I just want the phone and I'll use the WIFI feature when I want to access the Internet. 

The two associates just looked at each other and were like well you still need a data plan in order to activate it. Now, I've already had two replies to this thread alone where people are telling me what I want to do is possible. Is there an AT&T customer service rep on here or someone that can give me a number to give to the associate tomorrow so she will believe me when I say I want the phone without the data plan? I've even explained to the associates like guandalf stated that I was ready to purchase the phone online with out a data plan and it would let me.

I mean they won't even try to activate it. I want to be like at least try and if you can't activate it, then I'll just get the Samsung Impression. They won't even try to let me activate the Samsung Jack without a data plan because they know they are right.

By updated I mean since it's a smart phone it automatically downloads software and firmware updates I assume correct?

I've been told by the online customer service people that the only phone that you must get a data plan with is the iPhone. 

Today when I went into the AT&T store they told me that in order to get the $100 rebate that I would have to sign up for $30 worth of extra features and the data plan would cover that. And I replied, well then I just won't get the rebate I just want the phone and I'll use the WIFI feature when I want to access the Internet. 

The two associates just looked at each other and were like well you still need a data plan in order to activate it. Now, I've already had two replies to this thread alone where people are telling me what I want to do is possible. Is there an AT&T customer service rep on here or someone that can give me a number to give to the associate tomorrow so she will believe me when I say I want the phone without the data plan? I've even explained to the associates like guandalf stated that I was ready to purchase the phone online with out a data plan and it would let me.

I mean they won't even try to activate it. I want to be like at least try and if you can't activate it, then I'll just get the Samsung Impression. They won't even try to let me activate the Samsung Jack without a data plan because they know they are right.

5 of 15 (9,641 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2009 8:54:51 PM
(0)
Professor

The data plan is required for the rebate. Either go to another store or order one online.

You can always get the plan to activate the phone then go online and cancel it. Just be careful. These phones tend to drift off WIFI and into data without any warning and you can rack up quite a bill without realizing it.

The data plan is required for the rebate. Either go to another store or order one online.

You can always get the plan to activate the phone then go online and cancel it. Just be careful. These phones tend to drift off WIFI and into data without any warning and you can rack up quite a bill without realizing it.

6 of 15 (9,634 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2009 9:00:19 PM
(0)
Guru
I am interested in doing the same thing.  We have two corporate stores in town and both are willing to sell a Smartphone without a data plan.  The ATT store employees were the ones who told me that I could get a Samsung Jack or Nokia e71x and NOT activate the data plan-and just not get the rebate.  Try another store or ask for a manager.  It is possible.  Or try Radio Shack-I asked there, too, and they said they would also sell the e71x without the data plan.
I am interested in doing the same thing.  We have two corporate stores in town and both are willing to sell a Smartphone without a data plan.  The ATT store employees were the ones who told me that I could get a Samsung Jack or Nokia e71x and NOT activate the data plan-and just not get the rebate.  Try another store or ask for a manager.  It is possible.  Or try Radio Shack-I asked there, too, and they said they would also sell the e71x without the data plan.

7 of 15 (9,632 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2009 7:35:16 PM
(0)
Tutor

ormom51 wrote:

This is how I bought the wife's Blue Blackjack2.  No data plan or rebate.  I remove all the GPRS and Proxy settings in the phone.  All she can do send & receive is text messages and talk on the phone.  We haven't paid for a Kilobyte of data on that phone.

ormom51 wrote:

This is how I bought the wife's Blue Blackjack2.  No data plan or rebate.  I remove all the GPRS and Proxy settings in the phone.  All she can do send & receive is text messages and talk on the phone.  We haven't paid for a Kilobyte of data on that phone.

8 of 15 (9,541 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2009 9:04:02 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Xtinder on Jun 23, 2009 at 9:07:23 AM

Ok I have to say this...

After owning this (Samsung Jack) for a whole 2 days... I recommend NOT to buy this phone and here are the two main reasons I wouldn't buy this...

1st. You can hardly hear the phone ring or hear people in the ear piece when they call you. The speaker for the speaker phone is in the back of the phone and you can barely hear that. When you play music it comes out that tiny little speaker in the back and you can barely hear it. My last phone, which I will be going back to until I can exchange this Saturday, is a Motorola V3XX and the speakers are great. Even when you have someone on speaker phone you can hear them perfectly with it sitting on your desk. the Jack is clearly not a good phone when you are using it for business purposes which this phone was plainly setup to do in so many ways.

2nd issue the QWERTY keyboard is way too compacted together. I don't have huge fingers but typing anything on this is a pain in the rear. My friend has one of the old Blackjacks and the keys are spaced apart which is nice.

These are huge issues for me and something I must have to my liking.

Things you might like if you can get past these two huge issues.

1. Don't have to have Data Package (recommended by AT&T that you have it) and can connect to WiFi without incurring data charges. (Must go into settings and disconnect the AT&T Wireless connection and Turn off Data Connections.

2. Has an awesome address book.

3. Boots up within about 30 seconds.

4. Very light weight.

Thats it, I hope this helps in making your decision and sorry if my post dissappoints.

Message Edited by Xtinder on 06-23-2009 11:07:23 AM

Ok I have to say this...

After owning this (Samsung Jack) for a whole 2 days... I recommend NOT to buy this phone and here are the two main reasons I wouldn't buy this...

1st. You can hardly hear the phone ring or hear people in the ear piece when they call you. The speaker for the speaker phone is in the back of the phone and you can barely hear that. When you play music it comes out that tiny little speaker in the back and you can barely hear it. My last phone, which I will be going back to until I can exchange this Saturday, is a Motorola V3XX and the speakers are great. Even when you have someone on speaker phone you can hear them perfectly with it sitting on your desk. the Jack is clearly not a good phone when you are using it for business purposes which this phone was plainly setup to do in so many ways.

2nd issue the QWERTY keyboard is way too compacted together. I don't have huge fingers but typing anything on this is a pain in the rear. My friend has one of the old Blackjacks and the keys are spaced apart which is nice.

These are huge issues for me and something I must have to my liking.

Things you might like if you can get past these two huge issues.

1. Don't have to have Data Package (recommended by AT&T that you have it) and can connect to WiFi without incurring data charges. (Must go into settings and disconnect the AT&T Wireless connection and Turn off Data Connections.

2. Has an awesome address book.

3. Boots up within about 30 seconds.

4. Very light weight.

Thats it, I hope this helps in making your decision and sorry if my post dissappoints.

Message Edited by Xtinder on 06-23-2009 11:07:23 AM

[ Edited ]
9 of 15 (9,515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2010 9:41:05 AM
(0)
Contributor

Wtinder -

Do have specific instructions on how to turn off the At&t data connection so that I don't rack up un-godly charges. Any help would be appreciated.

Nate

Wtinder -

Do have specific instructions on how to turn off the At&t data connection so that I don't rack up un-godly charges. Any help would be appreciated.

Nate

10 of 15 (6,515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2010 12:04:20 PM
(0)
Guru
Other posters have mentioned making up a dummy setting as the default for accessing data.  This way, if your phone tries to go off WiFi it will try the dummy set up which won't work.  No surprise charges this way.
Other posters have mentioned making up a dummy setting as the default for accessing data.  This way, if your phone tries to go off WiFi it will try the dummy set up which won't work.  No surprise charges this way.

11 of 15 (3,145 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2010 1:56:50 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have the Propel Pro and do not have a data plan (grandfathered in).

I am NOT able to use wifi because for some reason, AT&T turns off the wifi when you put a data block on the phone. This is a bunch of BS that I cannot use my personal wifi at work or home (or a hotel, airport, etc.) as long as it's not an AT&T WiFi Hotspot.

Any suggestions to be able to use wifi on a Propel Pro with a data block would be appreciated!

I have the Propel Pro and do not have a data plan (grandfathered in).

I am NOT able to use wifi because for some reason, AT&T turns off the wifi when you put a data block on the phone. This is a bunch of BS that I cannot use my personal wifi at work or home (or a hotel, airport, etc.) as long as it's not an AT&T WiFi Hotspot.

Any suggestions to be able to use wifi on a Propel Pro with a data block would be appreciated!

12 of 15 (2,839 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2010 11:45:51 AM
(0)
Tutor

Has anyone figured out this solution?

I have a Samsung Propel but I don't have data plan. How do I get the Wi-Fi to work? 

Also, if I have SBC DSL internet...will I be able to connect to AT&T Wi-Fi hot spots through my AT&T/SBC username and will they charge me? 

Has anyone figured out this solution?

I have a Samsung Propel but I don't have data plan. How do I get the Wi-Fi to work? 

Also, if I have SBC DSL internet...will I be able to connect to AT&T Wi-Fi hot spots through my AT&T/SBC username and will they charge me? 

13 of 15 (2,389 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2010 1:07:55 PM
(0)
Tutor

Problem resolved. Set your internet explorer/browser to "Work/Private Network" if connecting to your own ISP at home. Make sure your settings on "Connections" -> "WiFi" settings are correct. Haven't tried other places, but will try soon.. Messing around with settings on browser is the key to getting WiFi to work without a DATA PLAN!!

WOOHOO!! finally figured it out...after a day of research.  Why did something seem so complicated in the first place? 

Problem resolved. Set your internet explorer/browser to "Work/Private Network" if connecting to your own ISP at home. Make sure your settings on "Connections" -> "WiFi" settings are correct. Haven't tried other places, but will try soon.. Messing around with settings on browser is the key to getting WiFi to work without a DATA PLAN!!

WOOHOO!! finally figured it out...after a day of research.  Why did something seem so complicated in the first place? 

14 of 15 (2,376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2010 2:33:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

I was able to get my propel pro without a data plan. however, it was because the phone i got with my plan did not have a data plan. the original phone broke and my insurance allowed me to get a propel pro. they set it up where i didn't need a data plan. wifi is a bit annoying. i just discovered it and it won't recognize networks in range.

I was able to get my propel pro without a data plan. however, it was because the phone i got with my plan did not have a data plan. the original phone broke and my insurance allowed me to get a propel pro. they set it up where i didn't need a data plan. wifi is a bit annoying. i just discovered it and it won't recognize networks in range.

15 of 15 (2,287 Views)