Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 6, 2011
6:03:42 AM
Samsung Infuse - Where is Gingerbread?

I saw an AT&T Tweet back in August that Gingerbread was coming that month. September came and all I got was a small system update. Still no Gingerbread or news. Any official news on this?

Thanks!
Brian

I saw an AT&T Tweet back in August that Gingerbread was coming that month. September came and all I got was a small system update. Still no Gingerbread or news. Any official news on this?

Thanks!
Brian

Samsung Infuse - Where is Gingerbread?

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 1:41:42 PM
(0)
Tutor
I was wondering the same thing. I'm trying to research and stuff, hehe
I was wondering the same thing. I'm trying to research and stuff, hehe

Re: Samsung Infuse - Where is Gingerbread?

2 of 13 (910 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 1:05:38 AM
(0)
Contributor

I would like to upgrade to Gingerbread as well.

I would like to upgrade to Gingerbread as well.

3 of 13 (871 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 4:03:02 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by dogtowndrums on Oct 13, 2011 at 4:03:34 AM

Where is Gingerbread, AT&T?

Where is Gingerbread, AT&T?

[ Edited ]
4 of 13 (752 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 5:06:51 AM
(0)
Scholar
So you have to wait for AT&T to release Gingerbread to upgrade?? I hoped updates would come directly from Samsung through Kies (or Kies Mini)..
So you have to wait for AT&T to release Gingerbread to upgrade?? I hoped updates would come directly from Samsung through Kies (or Kies Mini)..

5 of 13 (747 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 5:48:11 AM
(0)
Professor

pmt1209 wrote:

They do come direct from Samsung, through Kies Mini. AT&T has to approve the update before Samsung releases it.

pmt1209 wrote:

They do come direct from Samsung, through Kies Mini. AT&T has to approve the update before Samsung releases it.

6 of 13 (742 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 7:25:26 AM
(0)
Master

pmt1209 wrote:

Any updates and changes must be approved and oked from AT&T before Samsung can release them. After all, AT&T is Samsung's direct customer. We are the direct customer of AT&T unless you bought non-carrier versions. For all we know, the GingerBread ROM for Infuse could be ready a few months ago but AT&T simply said No, not time yet.

pmt1209 wrote:

Any updates and changes must be approved and oked from AT&T before Samsung can release them. After all, AT&T is Samsung's direct customer. We are the direct customer of AT&T unless you bought non-carrier versions. For all we know, the GingerBread ROM for Infuse could be ready a few months ago but AT&T simply said No, not time yet.

7 of 13 (733 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 8:36:39 AM
(0)
Scholar

Can these phones (Infuse & GS2) be debranded without rooting to receive the updates when they become available when the "non" carrier phones have it offered?? I know with my old focus I was able to debrand my WP7 without doing anything like "rooting or Jailbreakking" and received NODO well before AT&T offered.. I was able to easily rebrand it after I received NoDo so to receive any updates aimed precisely at AT&T phones..

Can these phones (Infuse & GS2) be debranded without rooting to receive the updates when they become available when the "non" carrier phones have it offered?? I know with my old focus I was able to debrand my WP7 without doing anything like "rooting or Jailbreakking" and received NODO well before AT&T offered.. I was able to easily rebrand it after I received NoDo so to receive any updates aimed precisely at AT&T phones..

8 of 13 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 8:43:27 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Oct 13, 2011 at 8:43:53 AM

pmt1209 wrote:

It is different than the story of Focus. What these phone have is something called product code that is in the ROM. The product code is what Kies uses to determine which firmware to update. Yes, you can hack the product code (after rooting of course). But since AT&T has the different hardware than other GS2s out there, doing so only get you into much bigger trouble (e.g. buttons no longer work and calls are droppped).

pmt1209 wrote:

It is different than the story of Focus. What these phone have is something called product code that is in the ROM. The product code is what Kies uses to determine which firmware to update. Yes, you can hack the product code (after rooting of course). But since AT&T has the different hardware than other GS2s out there, doing so only get you into much bigger trouble (e.g. buttons no longer work and calls are droppped).

[ Edited ]
9 of 13 (719 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 8:48:47 AM
(0)
Scholar

foxbat121 wrote:

Ahh Ok thank you.. Scrap that idea lol

foxbat121 wrote:

Ahh Ok thank you.. Scrap that idea lol

10 of 13 (716 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 8:59:21 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Oct 13, 2011 at 9:00:48 AM

What I alway did with my Captivate is to flash the leaked firmware for the phone. It is typically leaked long before AT&T releases them. For example, a new AT&T GS2 firmware (2.3.5) UCKJ1 just leaked yesterday. But be careful, this new firmware has a nasty new boot loader that make your life much harder if you intent to root or flash custom ROMs later.

For Captivate, there are already 4 or 5 GingerBread AT&T firmwares leaked started back in the summer. And yet, there is no official release from AT&T yet.

Infuse may have the same thing but I don't follow Infuse that much.

Also keep in mind that flashing these leaked firmware will wipe out your phone. The official release will upgrade and keep all your settings but leaked ones are intended for fresh installs.

What I alway did with my Captivate is to flash the leaked firmware for the phone. It is typically leaked long before AT&T releases them. For example, a new AT&T GS2 firmware (2.3.5) UCKJ1 just leaked yesterday. But be careful, this new firmware has a nasty new boot loader that make your life much harder if you intent to root or flash custom ROMs later.

For Captivate, there are already 4 or 5 GingerBread AT&T firmwares leaked started back in the summer. And yet, there is no official release from AT&T yet.

Also keep in mind that flashing these leaked firmware will wipe out your phone. The official release will upgrade and keep all your settings but leaked ones are intended for fresh installs.

[ Edited ]
11 of 13 (575 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 2:28:32 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by Entropy512 on Oct 13, 2011 at 2:30:00 PM

foxbat121 wrote:

Infuse has Rogers Gingerbread (UXKG3) plus multiple AT&T leaks (UCKI3, I4, J1).

The AT&T leaks are really wonky with all sorts of problems.  Rogers Gingerbread itself was pretty half-baked, but at least it was stable and most functionality worked, albeit not well in some cases.

Rogers main deficiencies:

No HDMI support

Video recording limited to 15 FPS (grabbing the UCKI3 camera libraries fixes this)

Data speeds slow (Rogers had poor default TCP buffer sizes - UCKI3 leak had much nicer ones, this and the camera libs are about the only decent things to be pulled from I3/I4.)

Infuse is unfortunately a hardware oddball with nothing in common with any other device on the planet in some areas - such as the Bluetooth and GPS chipset.

The AT&T GS2 is MUCH closer to the I9100 - as a result it's a lot easier to port I9100 ROMs to the I777.  We already have one 2.3.5 ROM ported over (Perception). - it has a few quirks due to the port but they're fairly minor.

foxbat121 wrote:

Infuse has Rogers Gingerbread (UXKG3) plus multiple AT&T leaks (UCKI3, I4, J1).

The AT&T leaks are really wonky with all sorts of problems.  Rogers Gingerbread itself was pretty half-baked, but at least it was stable and most functionality worked, albeit not well in some cases.

Rogers main deficiencies:

No HDMI support

Video recording limited to 15 FPS (grabbing the UCKI3 camera libraries fixes this)

Data speeds slow (Rogers had poor default TCP buffer sizes - UCKI3 leak had much nicer ones, this and the camera libs are about the only decent things to be pulled from I3/I4.)

Infuse is unfortunately a hardware oddball with nothing in common with any other device on the planet in some areas - such as the Bluetooth and GPS chipset.

The AT&T GS2 is MUCH closer to the I9100 - as a result it's a lot easier to port I9100 ROMs to the I777.  We already have one 2.3.5 ROM ported over (Perception). - it has a few quirks due to the port but they're fairly minor.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

[ Edited ]
12 of 13 (550 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 11:56:15 AM
(0)
Tutor

What I don't understand is why not a single person from AT&T has responded to any of the questions in there own forum.  Talk about lack of caring about your customers and there concerns.  Grow a pair AT&T, you have alot of people that are asking questions here, atleast have the respect of acknowledging us.  Oct. 15, 2011 and we still don't have GB.  It's bad enough you lie about having 4G.  It should be criminal to advertise such non sense

What I don't understand is why not a single person from AT&T has responded to any of the questions in there own forum.  Talk about lack of caring about your customers and there concerns.  Grow a pair AT&T, you have alot of people that are asking questions here, atleast have the respect of acknowledging us.  Oct. 15, 2011 and we still don't have GB.  It's bad enough you lie about having 4G.  It should be criminal to advertise such non sense

13 of 13 (478 Views)