Samsung Impression Crashes. perhaps a software fix to this????

Samsung Impression Crashes. perhaps a software fix to this????

I have a samsung impression and it crashes when i do the folling actions.

create a text message  but dont type anything

click on the screen so the phone shows the touchscreen keyboard (the qwerty one)

then touch t9

then type the following

Aw babe sorry, i j

it should freeze on j.

I have tried this on various impressions and all crashed and rebooted (no memory or setting were deleted, at least to my knowledge)

Plz other people try  it and see if it crashes.

I have made it crash by only typing certain parts of this then typing other random stuff.

Message 1 of 23

Re: Samsung Impression Crashes. Perhaps a software fix to this????

I will not try it as I have not had any troubles with my phone crashing but have you had any luck exchanging this?  also I am curious you said you did this with several of them and this happened have you taken this to the ATT corp. stores and tried this in front of them I am curious to see what they would say......
Message 2 of 23

No i have not yet as i havent had the time to do so.

I tried it on three phones that were not older than 2 weeks,  mine my mothers and my gf's

The otheres were of friends but idk what condition or age they were.

And i recommend u try this. it wont delete anything or change any setting either on the memory card or phone.

I wanted to see if maybe my area just got a bad shipment or if its all impressions.

Well i just tried it again its worked every time.... 7 times on my phone alone hehe.

I will take this to an att store by the end of this week and show them. I am also hoping others find this issue so we can get an update to fix this. Tehre also might be many other word combinations that will cause this.

Message 3 of 23

Update:

This crash actually occurs anytime you use T9 and touch "i" then "space"

pretty lame! plz fix this samsung

Message 4 of 23
Contributor

Re: Samsung Impression Crashes. perhaps a software fix to this????

I went to the Att store and tried new phones out of the box and they did it.  I called Samsung and they told me to either take the phone back and get a new one or send it to them. neither I think would resolve the matter I think they need to send out a software patch or something.
Message 5 of 23

I acually just did the same thing. Is there anyway i can report this in a place that would actually matteR?
Message 6 of 23
Contributor

im an at&t rep and i can definitely verify this problem is happening. right when i read about the bug on engadget i tried it out and its definitely happening, which sucks because they've been selling really well. Actually i had another instance when the impression crashed as well. I was working with 2 customers and i had to manually put in the voicemail gateway number and it crashed on me. i'm not sure what i did to trigger it but it crashed on me twice.  My solution to the texting crash though is to just not use t9 while in qwerty.  Honestly i don't really see the purpose of t9 when using qwerty anyways.  I never turn on t9 on the impressions or eternitys.

Message 7 of 23
Master

This is the second Samsung to have buggy issues. What is happeneing with them? I just don't understand how a manufacter can sell a defective device and  not refund the money. If all units have the same problem. They should be recalled and fixed. The impression is just as expensive as a smartphone.
Message 8 of 23

there is an article over on BGR about this today wow see link below. 

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/05/10/more-fail-less-epix-major-bug-plagues-another-att-samsung-...

Message 9 of 23
Professor

Smurfette27 wrote:
This is the second Samsung to have buggy issues. What is happeneing with them? I just don't understand how a manufacter can sell a defective device and  not refund the money. If all units have the same problem. They should be recalled and fixed. The impression is just as expensive as a smartphone.

I believe the 3rd! I hear the Propel Pro also has a tiny issue with ascending ring tone which cant be changed
Message 10 of 23
Contributor

i just tried it on 2 different impressions and nothing happen. Can be a certain firmware but dunno
Message 11 of 23
Tutor

There are numerous bugs with the Samsung Impression. In the last few years I have owned 2 samsung phones with AT&T that have been very buggy, the Samsung SGH-A727 and now a Samsung Impression. They have similar firmwares, and some similar bugs. My friend has a Samsung Instinct (with Sprint) and his phone has received numerous updates that have fixed bugs AND added features to the phone. And yet neither the SGH-A727 nor the Impression has received an update yet, and the bugs are really annoying. On my Impression I have it set to delete the oldest message whenever I receive a new one and my inbox is full, and it doesn't work. Sometimes I just stop receiving texts, other times I get the message telling me my inbox is full and that I need to delete messages to receive anymore. I have a "No event" item on my widget bar that does nothing and there is no way to delete it. As I remember the other bugs I will post them here, I haven't used my A727 in a while I don't remember all the bugs. I do know that often on my A727 the alarms would go off but no sound would come out of the speaker. Further investigation showed that I could still play MP3s, just not any synthesized sound files, which is the only kind of audio file the A727 can use for an alarm. I'm guessing the portion of the DSP that plays synthesized audio would power down to conserve energy, and just never turn back on until the phone was rebooted. Pretty frustrating because I used my A727 as an alarm clock. All this is especially frustrating because I want to blame Samsung, but the Instinct receives almost monthly updates, and I share other frustrations with not knowing where to tell who this information. Every time I've talked to someone at the AT&T store or on the phone with AT&T they dismiss me as stupid, or my phone being faulty and just tell me to exchange it. UPDATE THE FIRMWARE PLEASE!!!

Message 12 of 23

I gotta encourage you to use paragraphs.

Back to the original topic, just tried it with my impression and I couldn't get it to crash.

My software version is A877UCIB7.

Message 13 of 23
Tutor

also tried it on my impression, and although i've had other problems, mine wouldn't crash.

software: a877ucid3

Message 14 of 23
Contributor

I have this phone and have typed awe babe im sorry, like a million times haha the only problem i have is that yesterday after the having the phone for thirty days i woke up the touch screan stopped working completely it's never been dropped or ever dropped into any kind of water i hope they take it back and replace it =( 
Message 15 of 23
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support