Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 6, 2009
4:42:57 PM
Samsung Impression Crashes. perhaps a software fix to this????

I have a samsung impression and it crashes when i do the folling actions.

create a text message  but dont type anything

click on the screen so the phone shows the touchscreen keyboard (the qwerty one)

then touch t9

then type the following

Aw babe sorry, i j

it should freeze on j.

I have tried this on various impressions and all crashed and rebooted (no memory or setting were deleted, at least to my knowledge)

Plz other people try  it and see if it crashes.

I have made it crash by only typing certain parts of this then typing other random stuff.

I have a samsung impression and it crashes when i do the folling actions.

create a text message  but dont type anything

click on the screen so the phone shows the touchscreen keyboard (the qwerty one)

then touch t9

then type the following

Aw babe sorry, i j

it should freeze on j.

I have tried this on various impressions and all crashed and rebooted (no memory or setting were deleted, at least to my knowledge)

Plz other people try  it and see if it crashes.

I have made it crash by only typing certain parts of this then typing other random stuff.

Samsung Impression Crashes. perhaps a software fix to this????

22 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(22)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2009 5:15:20 PM
(0)
Guru
I will not try it as I have not had any troubles with my phone crashing but have you had any luck exchanging this?  also I am curious you said you did this with several of them and this happened have you taken this to the ATT corp. stores and tried this in front of them I am curious to see what they would say......
I will not try it as I have not had any troubles with my phone crashing but have you had any luck exchanging this?  also I am curious you said you did this with several of them and this happened have you taken this to the ATT corp. stores and tried this in front of them I am curious to see what they would say......

Re: Samsung Impression Crashes. Perhaps a software fix to this????

2 of 23 (14,420 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2009 5:21:39 PM
(0)
Tutor

No i have not yet as i havent had the time to do so.

I tried it on three phones that were not older than 2 weeks,  mine my mothers and my gf's

The otheres were of friends but idk what condition or age they were.

And i recommend u try this. it wont delete anything or change any setting either on the memory card or phone.

I wanted to see if maybe my area just got a bad shipment or if its all impressions.

Well i just tried it again its worked every time.... 7 times on my phone alone hehe.

I will take this to an att store by the end of this week and show them. I am also hoping others find this issue so we can get an update to fix this. Tehre also might be many other word combinations that will cause this.

No i have not yet as i havent had the time to do so.

I tried it on three phones that were not older than 2 weeks,  mine my mothers and my gf's

The otheres were of friends but idk what condition or age they were.

And i recommend u try this. it wont delete anything or change any setting either on the memory card or phone.

I wanted to see if maybe my area just got a bad shipment or if its all impressions.

Well i just tried it again its worked every time.... 7 times on my phone alone hehe.

I will take this to an att store by the end of this week and show them. I am also hoping others find this issue so we can get an update to fix this. Tehre also might be many other word combinations that will cause this.

3 of 23 (14,418 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2009 6:30:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

Update:

This crash actually occurs anytime you use T9 and touch "i" then "space"

pretty lame! plz fix this samsung

Update:

This crash actually occurs anytime you use T9 and touch "i" then "space"

pretty lame! plz fix this samsung

4 of 23 (14,408 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2009 12:11:05 PM
(0)
Contributor
I went to the Att store and tried new phones out of the box and they did it.  I called Samsung and they told me to either take the phone back and get a new one or send it to them. neither I think would resolve the matter I think they need to send out a software patch or something.
I went to the Att store and tried new phones out of the box and they did it.  I called Samsung and they told me to either take the phone back and get a new one or send it to them. neither I think would resolve the matter I think they need to send out a software patch or something.

Re: Samsung Impression Crashes. perhaps a software fix to this????

5 of 23 (14,355 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2009 5:53:28 PM
(0)
Tutor
I acually just did the same thing. Is there anyway i can report this in a place that would actually matteR?
I acually just did the same thing. Is there anyway i can report this in a place that would actually matteR?

6 of 23 (14,332 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2009 5:54:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

im an at&t rep and i can definitely verify this problem is happening. right when i read about the bug on engadget i tried it out and its definitely happening, which sucks because they've been selling really well. Actually i had another instance when the impression crashed as well. I was working with 2 customers and i had to manually put in the voicemail gateway number and it crashed on me. i'm not sure what i did to trigger it but it crashed on me twice.  My solution to the texting crash though is to just not use t9 while in qwerty.  Honestly i don't really see the purpose of t9 when using qwerty anyways.  I never turn on t9 on the impressions or eternitys.

im an at&t rep and i can definitely verify this problem is happening. right when i read about the bug on engadget i tried it out and its definitely happening, which sucks because they've been selling really well. Actually i had another instance when the impression crashed as well. I was working with 2 customers and i had to manually put in the voicemail gateway number and it crashed on me. i'm not sure what i did to trigger it but it crashed on me twice.  My solution to the texting crash though is to just not use t9 while in qwerty.  Honestly i don't really see the purpose of t9 when using qwerty anyways.  I never turn on t9 on the impressions or eternitys.

7 of 23 (14,087 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2009 11:54:23 AM
(0)
Master
This is the second Samsung to have buggy issues. What is happeneing with them? I just don't understand how a manufacter can sell a defective device and  not refund the money. If all units have the same problem. They should be recalled and fixed. The impression is just as expensive as a smartphone.
This is the second Samsung to have buggy issues. What is happeneing with them? I just don't understand how a manufacter can sell a defective device and  not refund the money. If all units have the same problem. They should be recalled and fixed. The impression is just as expensive as a smartphone.

8 of 23 (13,830 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2009 7:17:00 PM
(0)
Guru

there is an article over on BGR about this today wow see link below. 

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/05/10/more-fail-less-epix-major-bug-plagues-another-att-samsung-...

there is an article over on BGR about this today wow see link below. 

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/05/10/more-fail-less-epix-major-bug-plagues-another-att-samsung-handset/

9 of 23 (13,737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2009 8:09:12 PM
(0)
Professor

Smurfette27 wrote:

I believe the 3rd! I hear the Propel Pro also has a tiny issue with ascending ring tone which cant be changed

Smurfette27 wrote:

I believe the 3rd! I hear the Propel Pro also has a tiny issue with ascending ring tone which cant be changed

10 of 23 (13,723 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2009 2:05:58 PM
(0)
Contributor
i just tried it on 2 different impressions and nothing happen. Can be a certain firmware but dunno
i just tried it on 2 different impressions and nothing happen. Can be a certain firmware but dunno

11 of 23 (7,840 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2009 8:19:47 PM
(0)
Tutor

There are numerous bugs with the Samsung Impression. In the last few years I have owned 2 samsung phones with AT&T that have been very buggy, the Samsung SGH-A727 and now a Samsung Impression. They have similar firmwares, and some similar bugs. My friend has a Samsung Instinct (with Sprint) and his phone has received numerous updates that have fixed bugs AND added features to the phone. And yet neither the SGH-A727 nor the Impression has received an update yet, and the bugs are really annoying. On my Impression I have it set to delete the oldest message whenever I receive a new one and my inbox is full, and it doesn't work. Sometimes I just stop receiving texts, other times I get the message telling me my inbox is full and that I need to delete messages to receive anymore. I have a "No event" item on my widget bar that does nothing and there is no way to delete it. As I remember the other bugs I will post them here, I haven't used my A727 in a while I don't remember all the bugs. I do know that often on my A727 the alarms would go off but no sound would come out of the speaker. Further investigation showed that I could still play MP3s, just not any synthesized sound files, which is the only kind of audio file the A727 can use for an alarm. I'm guessing the portion of the DSP that plays synthesized audio would power down to conserve energy, and just never turn back on until the phone was rebooted. Pretty frustrating because I used my A727 as an alarm clock. All this is especially frustrating because I want to blame Samsung, but the Instinct receives almost monthly updates, and I share other frustrations with not knowing where to tell who this information. Every time I've talked to someone at the AT&T store or on the phone with AT&T they dismiss me as stupid, or my phone being faulty and just tell me to exchange it. UPDATE THE FIRMWARE PLEASE!!!

There are numerous bugs with the Samsung Impression. In the last few years I have owned 2 samsung phones with AT&T that have been very buggy, the Samsung SGH-A727 and now a Samsung Impression. They have similar firmwares, and some similar bugs. My friend has a Samsung Instinct (with Sprint) and his phone has received numerous updates that have fixed bugs AND added features to the phone. And yet neither the SGH-A727 nor the Impression has received an update yet, and the bugs are really annoying. On my Impression I have it set to delete the oldest message whenever I receive a new one and my inbox is full, and it doesn't work. Sometimes I just stop receiving texts, other times I get the message telling me my inbox is full and that I need to delete messages to receive anymore. I have a "No event" item on my widget bar that does nothing and there is no way to delete it. As I remember the other bugs I will post them here, I haven't used my A727 in a while I don't remember all the bugs. I do know that often on my A727 the alarms would go off but no sound would come out of the speaker. Further investigation showed that I could still play MP3s, just not any synthesized sound files, which is the only kind of audio file the A727 can use for an alarm. I'm guessing the portion of the DSP that plays synthesized audio would power down to conserve energy, and just never turn back on until the phone was rebooted. Pretty frustrating because I used my A727 as an alarm clock. All this is especially frustrating because I want to blame Samsung, but the Instinct receives almost monthly updates, and I share other frustrations with not knowing where to tell who this information. Every time I've talked to someone at the AT&T store or on the phone with AT&T they dismiss me as stupid, or my phone being faulty and just tell me to exchange it. UPDATE THE FIRMWARE PLEASE!!!

12 of 23 (7,542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2009 9:47:36 PM
(0)
Mentor

I gotta encourage you to use paragraphs.

Back to the original topic, just tried it with my impression and I couldn't get it to crash.

My software version is A877UCIB7.

I gotta encourage you to use paragraphs.

Back to the original topic, just tried it with my impression and I couldn't get it to crash.

My software version is A877UCIB7.

13 of 23 (7,470 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2009 10:43:54 PM
(0)
Tutor

also tried it on my impression, and although i've had other problems, mine wouldn't crash.

software: a877ucid3

also tried it on my impression, and although i've had other problems, mine wouldn't crash.

software: a877ucid3

14 of 23 (7,462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2009 8:55:42 PM
(0)
Contributor
I have this phone and have typed awe babe im sorry, like a million times haha the only problem i have is that yesterday after the having the phone for thirty days i woke up the touch screan stopped working completely it's never been dropped or ever dropped into any kind of water i hope they take it back and replace it =( 
I have this phone and have typed awe babe im sorry, like a million times haha the only problem i have is that yesterday after the having the phone for thirty days i woke up the touch screan stopped working completely it's never been dropped or ever dropped into any kind of water i hope they take it back and replace it =( 

15 of 23 (7,409 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2009 9:08:46 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have software version A877UCIB7 as well Seraphimprime, if you open a text and hold the phone landscape (hotdog) and then do it it should crash. You have to use the full on screen keyboard in t9 and push i then space and it should crash.

Sorry about my previous message being so difficult to read. Does anyone else have a "No event" widget on their widget bar they can't get rid of? Does anyone else have problems with the "Auto Delete Inbox - The Oldest when Full" setting? Mine still tells me I have to delete a message before I can receive anymore once my inbox is full, even though it's on this setting.

Why doesn't Samsung release an update for this phone?

I have software version A877UCIB7 as well Seraphimprime, if you open a text and hold the phone landscape (hotdog) and then do it it should crash. You have to use the full on screen keyboard in t9 and push i then space and it should crash.

Sorry about my previous message being so difficult to read. Does anyone else have a "No event" widget on their widget bar they can't get rid of? Does anyone else have problems with the "Auto Delete Inbox - The Oldest when Full" setting? Mine still tells me I have to delete a message before I can receive anymore once my inbox is full, even though it's on this setting.

16 of 23 (7,010 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2009 9:09:11 PM
(0)
Tutor
What other problems do you have mickey503?
What other problems do you have mickey503?

17 of 23 (7,009 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2009 8:58:10 PM
(0)
Contributor

melokiok wrote:

I have the same problem with the Auto-Delete Inbox.  I've tried calling AT&T, but all I got was a voicemail (my phone did not ring) where they said if I had issues, to get a warranty phone..

How ridiculous.  Just release a firmware update to fix the dern thing.

melokiok wrote:

I have the same problem with the Auto-Delete Inbox.  I've tried calling AT&T, but all I got was a voicemail (my phone did not ring) where they said if I had issues, to get a warranty phone..

How ridiculous.  Just release a firmware update to fix the dern thing.

18 of 23 (6,948 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2009 9:23:20 PM
(0)
Contributor
Just wondering if there has been an update regarding the 'no event' on the widget.
Just wondering if there has been an update regarding the 'no event' on the widget.

19 of 23 (6,685 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2009 12:19:07 AM
(0)
Tutor

The "no event" is actually just what it shows when you don't have any missed calls or new text messages or a voice mail. If you miss a call you and you don't get rid of the dialogue box you will notice the No Event changes or disappears. I think it's intentional, but the auto delete inbox thing is really beginning to frustrate me.

it's like my dose of frustration once every week lol.

The "no event" is actually just what it shows when you don't have any missed calls or new text messages or a voice mail. If you miss a call you and you don't get rid of the dialogue box you will notice the No Event changes or disappears. I think it's intentional, but the auto delete inbox thing is really beginning to frustrate me.

it's like my dose of frustration once every week lol.

20 of 23 (6,637 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2009 5:24:56 PM
(0)
Contributor
I figured out how to fix this issue it was frustrating me as well.  Open up the widget bar on the left side of the touch screen and drag and drop the 'No event' dialog into it.  All gone!
I figured out how to fix this issue it was frustrating me as well.  Open up the widget bar on the left side of the touch screen and drag and drop the 'No event' dialog into it.  All gone!

21 of 23 (2,429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2010 10:17:44 AM
(0)
Teacher

can someone start an online petition for an update that will fix all this??? im willing to get everyone in my house to sign. ive contacted AT&T via facebook and they know nothing of an update and all they could say is to contact Samsung. Im suppose to be getting this phone soon for my bday (which is today =]) but i dont wanna deal with a defective phone. Its a great phone just it needs to be ironed out

can someone start an online petition for an update that will fix all this??? im willing to get everyone in my house to sign. ive contacted AT&T via facebook and they know nothing of an update and all they could say is to contact Samsung. Im suppose to be getting this phone soon for my bday (which is today =]) but i dont wanna deal with a defective phone. Its a great phone just it needs to be ironed out

22 of 23 (1,641 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2010 6:53:46 AM
(0)
Scholar

I would not wish the Impression on my worst enemy. My wife has it and neither of us can stand it. She would rather go back to her Nokia from 10 years ago. My brother in law just got a Samsung Rogue with the same OS, but updated, and it isn't even close to the OS version on the Impression. The touch screen is way better, the scrolling is a million times better, there is an on-screen unlock button instead of the dumb side button. I could go on and on.

I bet all that it would take is a FIRMWARE UPDATE PLEASE!!!!! But, obviously Samsung is all about selling a ton of expensive junk phones rather than fixing them with simple firmware updates.

I would not wish the Impression on my worst enemy. My wife has it and neither of us can stand it. She would rather go back to her Nokia from 10 years ago. My brother in law just got a Samsung Rogue with the same OS, but updated, and it isn't even close to the OS version on the Impression. The touch screen is way better, the scrolling is a million times better, there is an on-screen unlock button instead of the dumb side button. I could go on and on.

I bet all that it would take is a FIRMWARE UPDATE PLEASE!!!!! But, obviously Samsung is all about selling a ton of expensive junk phones rather than fixing them with simple firmware updates.

23 of 23 (1,534 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments