Ask a question

Posted Nov 24, 2010
    9:54:16 PM
    View profile
    Samsung Galaxy Tab on 3G?

Hello,

I have recently been doing research on 3G bands and have come to the conclusion that 3G data with ATT needs an 850mhz band.

If this is the case then how does ATT offer the new Samsung Galaxy Tab with HSDPA 900/1900/2100 MHz:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat1910038&q_sku=sku5000227&q_manufacturer=&q_model=

?

Am I missing something here?

Samsung Galaxy Tab on 3G?

11 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (11)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 24, 2010 11:40:16 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

That's the problem with all the US versions. They don't have phone calling features on the Samsung Tab. So what you want is the international version that can receive phone signals and have built-in phone pad with GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900.

Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab on 3G?

2 of 12 (4,228 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 25, 2010 9:38:13 PM
    (0)
    Master
    Edited by foxbat121 on Nov 25, 2010 at 9:38:45 PM

That's a typo on AT&T site. If you check Samsung site, it is listed correctly as 850/1900/2100 Tri-band 3G.

International versions of the tab actually usually don't come with 850Mhz either unless it is from Canada or Australia.

Also, the US version of the tab actual contains the phone hardware. The phone feature is disabled in firmware and there are already information out there to hack the firmware to re-enable the phone feature.

[ Edited ]
    3 of 12 (4,159 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 25, 2010 10:39:36 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

As far as I know, the Asian and European versions come with phone calling features. You can see plenty of evidence in YouTube posed by European countries. Can you show us the link to the firmware that can open up AT&T and the instructions to install phone features? Is there a different one for Sprint, for Verizon, for AT&T and for TMobile? Even if you crack their codes, you might see your phone capabilities, but you still might not be able to use them because the carriers block them from being used.

4 of 12 (4,151 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 26, 2010 11:04:32 AM
    (0)
    Master

scubadragon wrote:

As far as I know, the Asian and European versions come with phone calling features. You can see plenty of evidence in YouTube posed by European countries. Can you show us the link to the firmware that can open up AT&T and the instructions to install phone features? Is there a different one for Sprint, for Verizon, for AT&T and for TMobile? Even if you crack their codes, you might see your phone capabilities, but you still might not be able to use them because the carriers block them from being used.

OP's question has nothing to do with phone features. You're way off topic.

Anyway, Check out XDA. There are separate threads for T-Mo tab and AT&T tab with detailed instructions about how to enable phone feature.

5 of 12 (4,098 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 26, 2010 9:58:15 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

I have look at the link for enabling phone feature for AT&T Samsung Tab. Here is the link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=847273. The author of the article says "Please note that i am not responsible if you brick your Galaxy Tab." If you read on, how much of the material that an average phone user will understand is very questionable? Can someone explain to me why US carriers do this stupid thing like removing the phone feature from the Galaxy Tab? Can they just leave it in as an option? I definitely won't attempt to add the phone feature to a brand new Galaxy Tab following these instructions because these instructions might cost you $600 to $700. The safest route, therefore, is acquire a Galaxy Tab that already has this phone feature built-in or set up either from Europe or Asia.

6 of 12 (4,022 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 27, 2010 2:32:22 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

Figured as much and looks like it's already been corrected.

Thanks for the help!

Now if I were to purchase this version unlocked somehow could I use my current ATT simcard and actually use this as my phone?

7 of 12 (4,005 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 27, 2010 7:46:41 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

If you are interested in purchasing the international version, you may check around on ebay and see what you can find. Last time I check was around $800-$900 for unlocked, any GSM carrier. I myself is interested in getting a Galaxy Tab with 32gb internal memory which may come soon. And if it does, I will post the link.

8 of 12 (3,982 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 27, 2010 7:50:23 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

According to everything I've read, international versions should work with your AT&T SIM card. If you are an old or existing AT&T customer and already have an account with unlimited data, that plan should remain the same which is what I have. New customers of course will have to pay $25-$50 for limited data. Sucks!

9 of 12 (3,980 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 27, 2010 9:21:25 AM
    (0)
    Master

ny_theo wrote:

Figured as much and looks like it's already been corrected.

Thanks for the help!

Now if I were to purchase this version unlocked somehow could I use my current ATT simcard and actually use this as my phone?

As discussed above, the phone feature is disabled out of box.

10 of 12 (3,962 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 27, 2010 9:22:32 AM
    (0)
    Master

scubadragon wrote:

If you are interested in purchasing the international version, you may check around on ebay and see what you can find. Last time I check was around $800-$900 for unlocked, any GSM carrier. I myself is interested in getting a Galaxy Tab with 32gb internal memory which may come soon. And if it does, I will post the link.

It makes no sense to me that you want to spend $800  - $900 that won't work with 3G data at all.

11 of 12 (1,557 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 27, 2010 12:26:45 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

You want the toys, you pay the boys!!! Sense or no sense....

12 of 12 (1,544 Views)