Samsung Galaxy S2 reception question?

Explorer

Samsung Galaxy S2 reception question?

I bought the S2 today and of course I am still learning the ropes. There is one thing that bothers me and it is the signal indicators on the reception bars , I am getting 3 and at the most 4 bars here at the house and on my old non smartphone is was always full bars. The tower is less than a half mile from the house so I was thinking that I should see it maxed out on signal strengh some of the time. I do have it in a Ballistic case but I took it out of the case and walked around the house and still did not receive any better signal strength.

Any thoughts on if this is normal or could there be something wrong with the phone? I just do not want to get somewhere with questionable service and something be wrong with the phone and not be able to get reception because something is wrong with the phone.

Thanks

Message 1 of 3 (926 Views)
Master

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 reception question?

Is your old phone 3G or not? If it is not a 3G phone, there are different signal types and may come from different frequency as well as different towers. Unless you have another GS2 to compare, I'd say it is apples to oranges. Bars don't necessary represent the same thing on different brand of phones. Even on the same phone, Apple had to tweak the algorithm on its early iPhone4 releases to change the bar representations. And some phones have only 4 bars total (my old WM phones like that). Some have 5 bars.

Message 2 of 3 (924 Views)
Explorer

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 reception question?

foxbat121 wrote:

Is your old phone 3G or not? If it is not a 3G phone, there are different signal types and may come from different frequency as well as different towers. Unless you have another GS2 to compare, I'd say it is apples to oranges. Bars don't necessary represent the same thing on different brand of phones. Even on the same phone, Apple had to tweak the algorithm on its early iPhone4 releases to change the bar representations. And some phones have only 4 bars total (my old WM phones like that). Some have 5 bars.

Yes it is a 3G phone.

Message 3 of 3 (917 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.