Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 2.3.6 OTA update now live

Master

Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 2.3.6 OTA update now live

The original GS2 just got 2.3.6 OTA update. It is a 20MB download. Have fun.

Message 1 of 132 (34,930 Views)
Tutor

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 2.3.6 OTA update now live

do not update...too many bugs wait!

Message 46 of 132 (5,200 Views)
Teacher

I did update but I don't have any issues.
Message 47 of 132 (5,165 Views)
Mentor

vadivelraj wrote:

I have a Samsung galaxy S2 att version i777 (4.3 inches display) and I have Gingerbread 2.3.4 version running.

My mobile shows that the firmware is up to date when i tried for check update.

Can you guys please advice.

Updates are pushed out in stages, so it could be that the update hasn't been pushed to your phone yet.

As for me, I downloaded the update a few days ago. Everything seems to work fine, the battery drains a little faster than before, but it's not terrible.

Message 48 of 132 (5,101 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

bmgoodman wrote:
Why would you recommend skipping this firmware update? Just curious what the downside can be.

This update killed my battery life. I could go two days on a single charge. After the update I lost 70% battery in a little over eight hours while I was sleeping. Rebooted and pulled the battery and still couldn't do any better.

Message 49 of 132 (4,991 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

busbusbus wrote:

I downloaded the update as well. Battery drain much faster. I cannot get it through the day. The only difference I noticed is it has that blue effect when you drag the page out of boundary. Any way to revert this update? Smiley Sad

Same here. Battery life cut in half. Only option is to root the phone and then flash back to the original version. Works like a champ. 

Message 50 of 132 (4,990 Views)
Mentor

What a difference a day makes. Smiley Sad My battery was dead before 3 PM today, and I haven't used it any more than usual. (Before the update I could text/browse internet off and on all day and have 25-45% or more by 11 PM) Recharging it back to full, will attempt a factory reset next.

fstaff wrote:

Same here. Battery life cut in half. Only option is to root the phone and then flash back to the original version. Works like a champ. 

I think thats what I'll end up doing, too.

Message 51 of 132 (7,124 Views)
Teacher

Can someone instruct me on how to do a factory reset on this phone? 

Message 52 of 132 (7,051 Views)
Contributor

bender991 wrote:

Can someone instruct me on how to do a factory reset on this phone? 

http://galaxys2root.com/att-galaxy-s2/how-to-unroot-att-galaxy-s2-sgh-i777/

Takes just a few minutes. I didn't lose any data, but it's a good idea to backup anything you're worried about.

After putting back to factory I'm at 40% at over 1 day. Huge improvement over the update.

Message 53 of 132 (7,011 Views)

[ Edited ]

Seems like the update has a LOT of Bluetooth/wifi problems.

Bluetooth HID no longer works

The device no longer respects the "wifi sleep policy" setting - it appears to always be awake no matter what.

The above alone isn't a problem itself - however there seems to be something in the system image that causes the wireless chip to fire off lots of interrupts that wake the phone repeatedly in some situations - not for everybody.  This utterly kills battery.

Still, even UCKH7 (I777 stock) doesn't have the greatest battery life - XXKI3 (one of the international firmware bases for the I9100) has significantly better battery life, especially in weak signal situations even after massively debloating UCKH7.  Stupid AT&T customizations...  I wish AT&T would stop insisting on mangling hardware/firmware of phones released on their network so badly.

Message 54 of 132 (6,918 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

TO ALL USERS:

DO NOT UPDATE. THE UPDATE WILL CAUSE THE HIGH ANDROID OS USAGE BUG AND KILL YOUR BATTERY.

http://galaxys2root.com/att-galaxy-s2/how-to-unroot-att-galaxy-s2-sgh-i777/

Followed those steps and now my phone can go to sleep again and doesn't eat up 10% of my battery per hour. That means I'm back on Android 2.3.4 the update to 2.3.6 was terrible. All it did was change the scroll features to blue overscroll rather than a bounce effect. Besides that, it causes the infamous high Android OS bug, which will drain at least 6% of you battery per hour. This happened to my SGS2 and my fathers.

Message 55 of 132 (6,872 Views)
Tutor

What is the ICS update and where can I get it?

Message 56 of 132 (6,542 Views)
Master

steell wrote:

What is the ICS update and where can I get it?

No, it is not ICS update (that will be Android os 4.xx vs this one 2.3.6). It will be pushed to your phone automatically.

Message 57 of 132 (6,518 Views)
Tutor

guys i updated and i don't see any problems. go figure. my battery performs the same.

Message 58 of 132 (6,484 Views)
Tutor

Thanks foxbat 121...

The new 2.3.6 has been pushed...Battery life awful and settings continually change.. ..should I do anything in the meantime? Besides Reset... The os4 when will it be available?

Thanks

Message 59 of 132 (6,187 Views)
Contributor

I have the same battery issue as everyone else. I just came here to bump the topic, and also just mention that this is not acceptable for AT&T. It's not acceptable because either 1) AT&T found this issue during testing and released it anyway or 2) testing did not see this issue, in which case everyone working there is incompetent.

Seriously AT&T, you should have a fix for this out immediately.

Message 60 of 132 (5,977 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.