Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 15, 2011
7:45:06 PM
Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 2.3.6 OTA update now live

The original GS2 just got 2.3.6 OTA update. It is a 20MB download. Have fun.

The original GS2 just got 2.3.6 OTA update. It is a 20MB download. Have fun.

Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 2.3.6 OTA update now live

131 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(131)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2011 2:09:01 PM
(0)
Guru

foxbat121 wrote:

bmgoodman wrote:
Why would you recommend skipping this firmware update? Just curious what the downside can be.

1. The update could fail and you risk brick you phone as two examples above. With Samsung, this risk is pretty high. There never has been any firmware update released by Samsung that doesn't brick a few phones.

2. There are reports of some voice calling issues and wi-fi issues.

ICS is the update to have. 2.3.6 is just a minor update and soem bug fixes you may or maynot even notice.

All of the failures described above have been softbricks, which makes sense since it seems like the OTA is not touching bootloaders (even though the Odin-flashable UCKK6 leak did have new bootloaders) - I guess Samsung learned their lesson about bootloaders!

For those who are softbricked (Phone turns on but does not fully boot), and the fix described above does not work, there are download-mode-flashable return-to-stock packages for UCKH7 over on XDA.  Eventually a bootloader-free UCKK6 package will become available for those that want it - but probably not until after the holidays.

foxbat121 wrote:

bmgoodman wrote:
Why would you recommend skipping this firmware update? Just curious what the downside can be.

1. The update could fail and you risk brick you phone as two examples above. With Samsung, this risk is pretty high. There never has been any firmware update released by Samsung that doesn't brick a few phones.

2. There are reports of some voice calling issues and wi-fi issues.

ICS is the update to have. 2.3.6 is just a minor update and soem bug fixes you may or maynot even notice.

All of the failures described above have been softbricks, which makes sense since it seems like the OTA is not touching bootloaders (even though the Odin-flashable UCKK6 leak did have new bootloaders) - I guess Samsung learned their lesson about bootloaders!

For those who are softbricked (Phone turns on but does not fully boot), and the fix described above does not work, there are download-mode-flashable return-to-stock packages for UCKH7 over on XDA.  Eventually a bootloader-free UCKK6 package will become available for those that want it - but probably not until after the holidays.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 2.3.6 OTA update now live

31 of 132 (6,935 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2011 3:54:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

I downloaded this update yesterday and it installed fine.  However, my battery life has taken a serious hit.  I though yesterday was bad, but thought maybe it was just a bad day.  Today, I got the low battery warning at 3:00 in the afternoon!!!  Are you kidding me?!  I constantly use a task killer and run an ap to maximize battery life.  With this piece of garbage update, I can't even make it through the day.  This SUCKS!!!

I downloaded this update yesterday and it installed fine.  However, my battery life has taken a serious hit.  I though yesterday was bad, but thought maybe it was just a bad day.  Today, I got the low battery warning at 3:00 in the afternoon!!!  Are you kidding me?!  I constantly use a task killer and run an ap to maximize battery life.  With this piece of garbage update, I can't even make it through the day.  This SUCKS!!!

32 of 132 (6,864 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2011 10:42:09 PM
(0)
Teacher
I just downloaded this update and installed fine I don't see big difference then before for now I will see battery life as soon as tomorrow and will post results here. I'm not see any issues with wifi for now and I'm afraid to touch AP Mobile app so I will leave it alone because I don't need extra data usages..
I just downloaded this update and installed fine I don't see big difference then before for now I will see battery life as soon as tomorrow and will post results here. I'm not see any issues with wifi for now and I'm afraid to touch AP Mobile app so I will leave it alone because I don't need extra data usages..

33 of 132 (6,647 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2011 6:54:15 AM
(0)
Scholar
Thanks for the information. I went forward anyway since my AP Mobile is using too much data and I've been unable to stop it. I'm still looking for a 2.3.6 change log, but so far I have not found it. I hope the upgrade was not a mistake.
Thanks for the information. I went forward anyway since my AP Mobile is using too much data and I've been unable to stop it. I'm still looking for a 2.3.6 change log, but so far I have not found it. I hope the upgrade was not a mistake.

34 of 132 (6,559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2011 7:16:08 AM
(0)
Teacher
If you want stop AP Mobile you need factory reset and don't touch it again. That's what I done and works but if you touch it again it will start using data again just stay away from AP Mobile.
If you want stop AP Mobile you need factory reset and don't touch it again. That's what I done and works but if you touch it again it will start using data again just stay away from AP Mobile.

35 of 132 (6,545 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2011 9:02:43 AM
(0)
Contributor

Has anyone figured out what all this update included or changed 

Has anyone figured out what all this update included or changed 

36 of 132 (6,483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2011 11:37:44 AM
(0)
Tutor
super...ATT tech and Sansung direct do not know this...Thanks iron221...I am so tires of repeaing myself...
super...ATT tech and Sansung direct do not know this...Thanks iron221...I am so tires of repeaing myself...

37 of 132 (6,398 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2011 11:47:54 AM
(0)
Tutor
Iron221...Also...I downloaded the new software upgrade...I selected delay update..it gives you a choice...I choose 3hours...after reading this blog yesterday...I have not allowed to load...I called both ATT and Samsung and they say it can not be deleted...The phonenow rings and posts I am downloading new software...I just ignore and for know it has not downloaded... I'm just getting tired of these callsany thoughts?
Iron221...Also...I downloaded the new software upgrade...I selected delay update..it gives you a choice...I choose 3hours...after reading this blog yesterday...I have not allowed to load...I called both ATT and Samsung and they say it can not be deleted...The phonenow rings and posts I am downloading new software...I just ignore and for know it has not downloaded... I'm just getting tired of these callsany thoughts?

38 of 132 (6,392 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2011 4:26:31 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by phoenixms on Dec 21, 2011 at 4:27:54 PM

I'm also having Wi-Fi issues with the update not present before the update. Just FYI i do a factory reset before and after the OTA installs.

Wifi went AWOL after i setup my phone on my corporate exchange server. Certain apps lost internet access after I set it up. For example Gmail and the Web Browser wouldn't work reporting no internet access but apps like Facebook would work just fine. If I disabled Wi-Fi everything would work using network data. As soon as I turned on Wi-Fi certain apps could not use data again. After I removed the exchange account everything returned to normal Wi-Fi or not. No idea why.

I'm also having Wi-Fi issues with the update not present before the update. Just FYI i do a factory reset before and after the OTA installs.

Wifi went AWOL after i setup my phone on my corporate exchange server. Certain apps lost internet access after I set it up. For example Gmail and the Web Browser wouldn't work reporting no internet access but apps like Facebook would work just fine. If I disabled Wi-Fi everything would work using network data. As soon as I turned on Wi-Fi certain apps could not use data again. After I removed the exchange account everything returned to normal Wi-Fi or not. No idea why.

[ Edited ]
39 of 132 (6,271 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2011 5:18:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

Things I've noticed since the update:

1. Vlingo no longer responds to the double-tap of the home screen button. I've cleared caches and data, reset all the settings and chanted all the voodoo I know, but to no avail.

2. Battery life has taken a serious hit. I pulled the plug around 4 p.m., and at 8:15, the battery level is around 60 percent.

3. It automatically upgrades Gmail to the latest version, so if you like little red dots and third-party access — too bad.

Things I've noticed since the update:

1. Vlingo no longer responds to the double-tap of the home screen button. I've cleared caches and data, reset all the settings and chanted all the voodoo I know, but to no avail.

2. Battery life has taken a serious hit. I pulled the plug around 4 p.m., and at 8:15, the battery level is around 60 percent.

3. It automatically upgrades Gmail to the latest version, so if you like little red dots and third-party access — too bad.

40 of 132 (6,239 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2011 12:48:43 AM
(0)
Contributor

I downloaded the update as well. Battery drain much faster. I cannot get it through the day. The only difference I noticed is it has that blue effect when you drag the page out of boundary. Any way to revert this update? Smiley Sad

I downloaded the update as well. Battery drain much faster. I cannot get it through the day. The only difference I noticed is it has that blue effect when you drag the page out of boundary. Any way to revert this update? Smiley Sad

41 of 132 (5,293 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2011 5:39:46 AM
(0)
Teacher
I don't see any difference with battery life. Also only difference I noticed is blue effect as well but I couldn't find anything else so farbu as I said I'm heavy user but I don't see any issues with battery life.
I don't see any difference with battery life. Also only difference I noticed is blue effect as well but I couldn't find anything else so farbu as I said I'm heavy user but I don't see any issues with battery life.

42 of 132 (5,248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2011 8:35:51 AM
(0)
Tutor
Hey there,

i was looking for this and i found it here: www.androidallabout.com
Its a site full of interesting reviews and probably have the answer to your question.

thanks
Hey there,

i was looking for this and i found it here: www.androidallabout.com
Its a site full of interesting reviews and probably have the answer to your question.

thanks

43 of 132 (5,187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2011 9:13:29 AM
(0)
Guru

busbusbus wrote:

Seems like people who used the OTA are having all sorts of problems...  Try using BetterBatteryStats to look for unusual wakelocks.

Quite a few people are using UCKK6 with no problems - but very few of them flashed using the OTA update.

busbusbus wrote:

Seems like people who used the OTA are having all sorts of problems...  Try using BetterBatteryStats to look for unusual wakelocks.

Quite a few people are using UCKK6 with no problems - but very few of them flashed using the OTA update.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

44 of 132 (5,158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2011 2:08:17 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have a Samsung galaxy S2 att version i777 (4.3 inches display) and I have Gingerbread 2.3.4 version running.

My mobile shows that the firmware is up to date when i tried for check update.

Can you guys please advice.

I have a Samsung galaxy S2 att version i777 (4.3 inches display) and I have Gingerbread 2.3.4 version running.

45 of 132 (5,062 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2011 2:37:10 PM
(0)
Tutor

do not update...too many bugs wait!

do not update...too many bugs wait!

46 of 132 (4,779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2011 6:17:06 PM
(0)
Teacher
I did update but I don't have any issues.
I did update but I don't have any issues.

47 of 132 (4,744 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2011 12:02:41 AM
(0)
Mentor

vadivelraj wrote:

Updates are pushed out in stages, so it could be that the update hasn't been pushed to your phone yet.

As for me, I downloaded the update a few days ago. Everything seems to work fine, the battery drains a little faster than before, but it's not terrible.

vadivelraj wrote:

Updates are pushed out in stages, so it could be that the update hasn't been pushed to your phone yet.

As for me, I downloaded the update a few days ago. Everything seems to work fine, the battery drains a little faster than before, but it's not terrible.

48 of 132 (4,680 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2011 1:16:13 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by fstaff on Dec 24, 2011 at 1:22:46 PM

bmgoodman wrote:

This update killed my battery life. I could go two days on a single charge. After the update I lost 70% battery in a little over eight hours while I was sleeping. Rebooted and pulled the battery and still couldn't do any better.

bmgoodman wrote:

This update killed my battery life. I could go two days on a single charge. After the update I lost 70% battery in a little over eight hours while I was sleeping. Rebooted and pulled the battery and still couldn't do any better.

[ Edited ]
49 of 132 (4,570 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2011 1:19:41 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by fstaff on Dec 24, 2011 at 1:21:05 PM

busbusbus wrote:

Same here. Battery life cut in half. Only option is to root the phone and then flash back to the original version. Works like a champ. 

busbusbus wrote:

Same here. Battery life cut in half. Only option is to root the phone and then flash back to the original version. Works like a champ. 

[ Edited ]
50 of 132 (4,569 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2011 5:43:24 PM
(0)
Mentor

What a difference a day makes. Smiley Sad My battery was dead before 3 PM today, and I haven't used it any more than usual. (Before the update I could text/browse internet off and on all day and have 25-45% or more by 11 PM) Recharging it back to full, will attempt a factory reset next.

fstaff wrote:

I think thats what I'll end up doing, too.

What a difference a day makes. Smiley Sad My battery was dead before 3 PM today, and I haven't used it any more than usual. (Before the update I could text/browse internet off and on all day and have 25-45% or more by 11 PM) Recharging it back to full, will attempt a factory reset next.

fstaff wrote:

I think thats what I'll end up doing, too.

51 of 132 (6,703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2011 2:01:06 AM
(0)
Teacher

Can someone instruct me on how to do a factory reset on this phone? 

52 of 132 (6,630 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2011 6:22:55 AM
(0)
Contributor

bender991 wrote:

http://galaxys2root.com/att-galaxy-s2/how-to-unroot-att-galaxy-s2-sgh-i777/

Takes just a few minutes. I didn't lose any data, but it's a good idea to backup anything you're worried about.

After putting back to factory I'm at 40% at over 1 day. Huge improvement over the update.

bender991 wrote:

Takes just a few minutes. I didn't lose any data, but it's a good idea to backup anything you're worried about.

After putting back to factory I'm at 40% at over 1 day. Huge improvement over the update.

53 of 132 (6,590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2011 12:33:31 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by Entropy512 on Dec 25, 2011 at 12:36:44 PM

Seems like the update has a LOT of Bluetooth/wifi problems.

Bluetooth HID no longer works

The device no longer respects the "wifi sleep policy" setting - it appears to always be awake no matter what.

The above alone isn't a problem itself - however there seems to be something in the system image that causes the wireless chip to fire off lots of interrupts that wake the phone repeatedly in some situations - not for everybody.  This utterly kills battery.

Still, even UCKH7 (I777 stock) doesn't have the greatest battery life - XXKI3 (one of the international firmware bases for the I9100) has significantly better battery life, especially in weak signal situations even after massively debloating UCKH7.  Stupid AT&T customizations...  I wish AT&T would stop insisting on mangling hardware/firmware of phones released on their network so badly.

Seems like the update has a LOT of Bluetooth/wifi problems.

Bluetooth HID no longer works

The device no longer respects the "wifi sleep policy" setting - it appears to always be awake no matter what.

The above alone isn't a problem itself - however there seems to be something in the system image that causes the wireless chip to fire off lots of interrupts that wake the phone repeatedly in some situations - not for everybody.  This utterly kills battery.

Still, even UCKH7 (I777 stock) doesn't have the greatest battery life - XXKI3 (one of the international firmware bases for the I9100) has significantly better battery life, especially in weak signal situations even after massively debloating UCKH7.  Stupid AT&T customizations...  I wish AT&T would stop insisting on mangling hardware/firmware of phones released on their network so badly.

[ Edited ]
54 of 132 (6,497 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2011 2:28:54 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Beef4104 on Dec 25, 2011 at 2:31:06 PM

TO ALL USERS:

DO NOT UPDATE. THE UPDATE WILL CAUSE THE HIGH ANDROID OS USAGE BUG AND KILL YOUR BATTERY.

Followed those steps and now my phone can go to sleep again and doesn't eat up 10% of my battery per hour. That means I'm back on Android 2.3.4 the update to 2.3.6 was terrible. All it did was change the scroll features to blue overscroll rather than a bounce effect. Besides that, it causes the infamous high Android OS bug, which will drain at least 6% of you battery per hour. This happened to my SGS2 and my fathers.

TO ALL USERS:

DO NOT UPDATE. THE UPDATE WILL CAUSE THE HIGH ANDROID OS USAGE BUG AND KILL YOUR BATTERY.

Followed those steps and now my phone can go to sleep again and doesn't eat up 10% of my battery per hour. That means I'm back on Android 2.3.4 the update to 2.3.6 was terrible. All it did was change the scroll features to blue overscroll rather than a bounce effect. Besides that, it causes the infamous high Android OS bug, which will drain at least 6% of you battery per hour. This happened to my SGS2 and my fathers.

[ Edited ]
55 of 132 (6,451 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2011 11:22:40 AM
(0)
Tutor

What is the ICS update and where can I get it?

56 of 132 (6,121 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2011 12:40:19 PM
(0)
Master

steell wrote:

No, it is not ICS update (that will be Android os 4.xx vs this one 2.3.6). It will be pushed to your phone automatically.

steell wrote:

No, it is not ICS update (that will be Android os 4.xx vs this one 2.3.6). It will be pushed to your phone automatically.

57 of 132 (6,097 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2011 2:16:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

guys i updated and i don't see any problems. go figure. my battery performs the same.

guys i updated and i don't see any problems. go figure. my battery performs the same.

58 of 132 (6,063 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2011 12:25:25 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks foxbat 121...

The new 2.3.6 has been pushed...Battery life awful and settings continually change.. ..should I do anything in the meantime? Besides Reset... The os4 when will it be available?

Thanks

Thanks foxbat 121...

The new 2.3.6 has been pushed...Battery life awful and settings continually change.. ..should I do anything in the meantime? Besides Reset... The os4 when will it be available?

Thanks

59 of 132 (5,766 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2011 11:05:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have the same battery issue as everyone else. I just came here to bump the topic, and also just mention that this is not acceptable for AT&T. It's not acceptable because either 1) AT&T found this issue during testing and released it anyway or 2) testing did not see this issue, in which case everyone working there is incompetent.

Seriously AT&T, you should have a fix for this out immediately.

I have the same battery issue as everyone else. I just came here to bump the topic, and also just mention that this is not acceptable for AT&T. It's not acceptable because either 1) AT&T found this issue during testing and released it anyway or 2) testing did not see this issue, in which case everyone working there is incompetent.

Seriously AT&T, you should have a fix for this out immediately.

60 of 132 (5,556 Views)