Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 2.3.6 OTA update now live

Master

Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 2.3.6 OTA update now live

The original GS2 just got 2.3.6 OTA update. It is a 20MB download. Have fun.

Message 1 of 132 (34,918 Views)

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 2.3.6 OTA update now live

foxbat121 wrote:

bmgoodman wrote:
Why would you recommend skipping this firmware update? Just curious what the downside can be.

1. The update could fail and you risk brick you phone as two examples above. With Samsung, this risk is pretty high. There never has been any firmware update released by Samsung that doesn't brick a few phones.

2. There are reports of some voice calling issues and wi-fi issues.

ICS is the update to have. 2.3.6 is just a minor update and soem bug fixes you may or maynot even notice.

All of the failures described above have been softbricks, which makes sense since it seems like the OTA is not touching bootloaders (even though the Odin-flashable UCKK6 leak did have new bootloaders) - I guess Samsung learned their lesson about bootloaders!

For those who are softbricked (Phone turns on but does not fully boot), and the fix described above does not work, there are download-mode-flashable return-to-stock packages for UCKH7 over on XDA.  Eventually a bootloader-free UCKK6 package will become available for those that want it - but probably not until after the holidays.

Message 31 of 132 (7,356 Views)
Contributor

I downloaded this update yesterday and it installed fine.  However, my battery life has taken a serious hit.  I though yesterday was bad, but thought maybe it was just a bad day.  Today, I got the low battery warning at 3:00 in the afternoon!!!  Are you kidding me?!  I constantly use a task killer and run an ap to maximize battery life.  With this piece of garbage update, I can't even make it through the day.  This SUCKS!!!

Message 32 of 132 (7,285 Views)
Teacher

I just downloaded this update and installed fine I don't see big difference then before for now I will see battery life as soon as tomorrow and will post results here. I'm not see any issues with wifi for now and I'm afraid to touch AP Mobile app so I will leave it alone because I don't need extra data usages..
Message 33 of 132 (7,068 Views)
Scholar

Thanks for the information. I went forward anyway since my AP Mobile is using too much data and I've been unable to stop it. I'm still looking for a 2.3.6 change log, but so far I have not found it. I hope the upgrade was not a mistake.
Message 34 of 132 (6,980 Views)
Teacher

If you want stop AP Mobile you need factory reset and don't touch it again. That's what I done and works but if you touch it again it will start using data again just stay away from AP Mobile.
Message 35 of 132 (6,966 Views)
Contributor

Has anyone figured out what all this update included or changed 

Message 36 of 132 (6,904 Views)
Tutor

super...ATT tech and Sansung direct do not know this...Thanks iron221...I am so tires of repeaing myself...
Message 37 of 132 (6,819 Views)
Tutor

Iron221...Also...I downloaded the new software upgrade...I selected delay update..it gives you a choice...I choose 3hours...after reading this blog yesterday...I have not allowed to load...I called both ATT and Samsung and they say it can not be deleted...The phonenow rings and posts I am downloading new software...I just ignore and for know it has not downloaded... I'm just getting tired of these callsany thoughts?
Message 38 of 132 (6,813 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

I'm also having Wi-Fi issues with the update not present before the update. Just FYI i do a factory reset before and after the OTA installs.

Wifi went AWOL after i setup my phone on my corporate exchange server. Certain apps lost internet access after I set it up. For example Gmail and the Web Browser wouldn't work reporting no internet access but apps like Facebook would work just fine. If I disabled Wi-Fi everything would work using network data. As soon as I turned on Wi-Fi certain apps could not use data again. After I removed the exchange account everything returned to normal Wi-Fi or not. No idea why.

Message 39 of 132 (6,692 Views)

Things I've noticed since the update:

1. Vlingo no longer responds to the double-tap of the home screen button. I've cleared caches and data, reset all the settings and chanted all the voodoo I know, but to no avail.

2. Battery life has taken a serious hit. I pulled the plug around 4 p.m., and at 8:15, the battery level is around 60 percent.

3. It automatically upgrades Gmail to the latest version, so if you like little red dots and third-party access — too bad.

Message 40 of 132 (6,660 Views)
Contributor

I downloaded the update as well. Battery drain much faster. I cannot get it through the day. The only difference I noticed is it has that blue effect when you drag the page out of boundary. Any way to revert this update? Smiley Sad

Message 41 of 132 (5,714 Views)
Teacher

I don't see any difference with battery life. Also only difference I noticed is blue effect as well but I couldn't find anything else so farbu as I said I'm heavy user but I don't see any issues with battery life.
Message 42 of 132 (5,669 Views)
Tutor

Hey there,

i was looking for this and i found it here: www.androidallabout.com
Its a site full of interesting reviews and probably have the answer to your question.

thanks
Message 43 of 132 (5,608 Views)

busbusbus wrote:

I downloaded the update as well. Battery drain much faster. I cannot get it through the day. The only difference I noticed is it has that blue effect when you drag the page out of boundary. Any way to revert this update? Smiley Sad

Seems like people who used the OTA are having all sorts of problems...  Try using BetterBatteryStats to look for unusual wakelocks.

Quite a few people are using UCKK6 with no problems - but very few of them flashed using the OTA update.

Message 44 of 132 (5,579 Views)
Contributor

I have a Samsung galaxy S2 att version i777 (4.3 inches display) and I have Gingerbread 2.3.4 version running.

My mobile shows that the firmware is up to date when i tried for check update.

Can you guys please advice.

Message 45 of 132 (5,483 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.