Wireless Forums

Posted Dec 15, 2011
7:45:06 PM
Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 2.3.6 OTA update now live

The original GS2 just got 2.3.6 OTA update. It is a 20MB download. Have fun.

131 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(131)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2012 5:06:06 PM
(0)
Master

There is no way to remove a firmware unless you flash a new one yourself.

There is no way to remove a firmware unless you flash a new one yourself.

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 2.3.6 OTA update now live

121 of 132 (8,354 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2012 3:18:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

Entropy512 wrote:

I keep the modem (baseband) a separate download.  Most people prefer the UCKK6 modem, but if you want to revert that too, grab the modem package from that thread.

The problems with UCKK6 lie in the system image and not the modem - the UCKK6 modem actually seems to do better, so unless you're planning on a warranty return you might want to keep the KK6 baseband.

Thanks Entropy512.

I am not planning to return the phone..(affected due to poor battery and reverted back to 2.3.4)

was not aware that Modem(base band version) don't make much difference/UCKK6 modem is better..

So flashed your modem file from here and it seems all are OK.

Couple of noob questions.

• I  see the flash counter in my phone.It indicates "NO" custom binary download and "Samsung Official" current binary.I read from the XDA that <<The Samsung Galaxy S II contains an internal flash counter which is incremented each time a non-stock binary (kernel/rom) is flashed from a computer using Odin>>

My question..why it did not increment the counter eventhough I flashed files from here..is that because those files are Stock and NOT custom binary?

• Now I have Baseband version  I777UCKH7 and Build number GINGERBREAD.UCKH7.But I am not getting any automatic udpate notifications about install 2.3.6..is that due to my flash back to stock or any specific reason? Why at&t is not automatically detecting that I have 2.3.4 and pushing it ( I know it is good just wanted to understand)

For anyone here if you have time - please visit xda and there is Lot more information ,questions and answers etc to read and understand.I am still new and slowly reading..

Finally a Big thanks :smileyhappy:to all in the developers community & Entropy512

Entropy512 wrote:

I keep the modem (baseband) a separate download.  Most people prefer the UCKK6 modem, but if you want to revert that too, grab the modem package from that thread.

The problems with UCKK6 lie in the system image and not the modem - the UCKK6 modem actually seems to do better, so unless you're planning on a warranty return you might want to keep the KK6 baseband.

Thanks Entropy512.

I am not planning to return the phone..(affected due to poor battery and reverted back to 2.3.4)

was not aware that Modem(base band version) don't make much difference/UCKK6 modem is better..

• I  see the flash counter in my phone.It indicates "NO" custom binary download and "Samsung Official" current binary.I read from the XDA that <<The Samsung Galaxy S II contains an internal flash counter which is incremented each time a non-stock binary (kernel/rom) is flashed from a computer using Odin>>

My question..why it did not increment the counter eventhough I flashed files from here..is that because those files are Stock and NOT custom binary?

• Now I have Baseband version  I777UCKH7 and Build number GINGERBREAD.UCKH7.But I am not getting any automatic udpate notifications about install 2.3.6..is that due to my flash back to stock or any specific reason? Why at&t is not automatically detecting that I have 2.3.4 and pushing it ( I know it is good just wanted to understand)

For anyone here if you have time - please visit xda and there is Lot more information ,questions and answers etc to read and understand.I am still new and slowly reading..

Finally a Big thanks :smileyhappy:to all in the developers community & Entropy512

122 of 132 (8,249 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2012 9:19:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

bender991 wrote:

I factory reset my phone and it still says version 2.3.6. Is this the newest version? I was trying to remove it.

Factory reset will not help on bringing 2.3.4 back.

pleae Read this thread completely and xda if you have time.. 

bender991 wrote:

I factory reset my phone and it still says version 2.3.6. Is this the newest version? I was trying to remove it.

Factory reset will not help on bringing 2.3.4 back.

pleae Read this thread completely and xda if you have time.. 

123 of 132 (8,212 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2012 6:41:46 AM
(0)
Guru

AndiEd wrote:

Entropy512 wrote:

Thanks Entropy512.

I believe that package is stock, I don't know - galaxys2root.com is a linkfarm used to make advertising revenue for it's owner.  I'm 90% certain he just stole and renamed my original return-to-stock package but I'm not sure.  If it didn't trigger the ! warning screen or the flash counter, it must have a stock kernel.

The flash counter only counts non-stock Odin flashes of kernels - flashing modems or system images won't trigger it.

AndiEd wrote:

Entropy512 wrote:

Thanks Entropy512.

I believe that package is stock, I don't know - galaxys2root.com is a linkfarm used to make advertising revenue for it's owner.  I'm 90% certain he just stole and renamed my original return-to-stock package but I'm not sure.  If it didn't trigger the ! warning screen or the flash counter, it must have a stock kernel.

The flash counter only counts non-stock Odin flashes of kernels - flashing modems or system images won't trigger it.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

124 of 132 (8,184 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2012 3:41:44 PM
(0)
Contributor

Same is happening with my phone as well. Have you been able to get this resolved?

Same is happening with my phone as well. Have you been able to get this resolved?

125 of 132 (6,953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2012 3:57:20 PM
(0)
Contributor
for how long will I need to hold onto these buttons? I did it for 5 mins and it did not work for me and holding on these buttons for so long is very painful.
for how long will I need to hold onto these buttons? I did it for 5 mins and it did not work for me and holding on these buttons for so long is very painful.

126 of 132 (6,946 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2012 9:59:01 AM
(0)
Guru

Which buttons are you talking about?  If you're holding onto anything for 5 minutes something is not right.

Which buttons are you talking about?  If you're holding onto anything for 5 minutes something is not right.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

127 of 132 (6,795 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2012 10:38:52 AM
(0)
Master

I think he meant for buttons you need hold in order to get into download mode for ODIN flash. It should be no more than a few seconds if you did it right.

I think he meant for buttons you need hold in order to get into download mode for ODIN flash. It should be no more than a few seconds if you did it right.

128 of 132 (6,788 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2012 7:39:33 AM
(0)
Tutor

Has there been a fix to the 2.3.6 OTA update so it does not decrease the battery life? Havent heard anything on whether or not there is a newer update for the samsung s2. I am one of those that reverted back to the 2.3.4 because the 2.3.6 was a battery hog. Any info on this situation would be helpful.

Has there been a fix to the 2.3.6 OTA update so it does not decrease the battery life? Havent heard anything on whether or not there is a newer update for the samsung s2. I am one of those that reverted back to the 2.3.4 because the 2.3.6 was a battery hog. Any info on this situation would be helpful.

129 of 132 (6,579 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2012 7:48:21 AM
(0)
Guru

Captbilly wrote:

Not from AT&T - Samsung has released plenty of fixed firmwares for the I9100, but AT&T is holding these updates back.

Captbilly wrote:

Not from AT&T - Samsung has released plenty of fixed firmwares for the I9100, but AT&T is holding these updates back.

130 of 132 (6,575 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2012 8:37:12 PM
(0)
Guru

For those that have that new update, Can you confirm if there is a 3G/4G toggle?

For those that have that new update, Can you confirm if there is a 3G/4G toggle?

131 of 132 (6,966 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 29, 2012 10:00:18 AM
(0)
Scholar
I couldn't agree more and it might be a great tagline for their commercials: "AT&T, we're holding you back!" :smileywink:
I couldn't agree more and it might be a great tagline for their commercials: "AT&T, we're holding you back!" :smileywink:

132 of 132 (6,915 Views)