Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 2.3.6 OTA update now live

Master

Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 2.3.6 OTA update now live

The original GS2 just got 2.3.6 OTA update. It is a 20MB download. Have fun.

Message 1 of 132 (34,940 Views)
Scholar

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 2.3.6 OTA update now live

WiFied wrote:

Thanks for your detailed explanation, Entropy.

To update everyone on my attempt to have AT&T replace my two phones, I received the two "refurbished" phones today. They are both BRAND NEW, and they are both 2.3.4.

If everyone will push this issue until you get sent a replacement phone, this will force AT&T to deal with this more quickly. Don't let them just send you a battery to get rid of you.

Here here, I've had issues in the past with other phones and comically they always want to send a new battery  as the fix which it never does lol...  Guess its just they're protocol before sending a replacement phone, I always just let them send the battery and when that doesn't correct the problem a replacement phone usually arrives a few days later.. 

Message 91 of 132 (7,438 Views)
Tutor

totally agree
Message 92 of 132 (7,334 Views)
Tutor

what AND HOW DO YOU DO THIS?
Message 93 of 132 (7,331 Views)
Tutor

I still have the same problem. Actually I am outside US and tried close tham a month trying to upgrade the OS and NOTHING. AT&T could submit the OS to download and install via USB??? All the time the server are "Busy"
Message 94 of 132 (6,766 Views)

Two more issues from this fouled-up update:

1. I have lost Bluetooth connectivity to my wireless keyboard. (The mouse, too, but I really don't use that with a phone.)

2. The Wi-Fi problems extend even to the free AT&T hotspots at the McDonald's restaurants. How can you mess up the auto-connection to your own system?
Message 95 of 132 (5,997 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

BT HID problem is also a known bug of 2.3.6 update. Why anyone still wants so desperately to download this is beyond me. There is a full ROM posted on XDA site which you can download and apply from your PC to the phone if you can't get the OTA update.

Message 96 of 132 (5,975 Views)

And posting from a SonyEricsson LT15i? I've never even seen one in the wild.

Message 97 of 132 (5,968 Views)
Contributor

JBOMX363

Did the battery and SD card out and overnight charge finally work? Is your battery life back to normal?
Message 98 of 132 (5,943 Views)
Contributor

If you are having the battery issue fallow these steps and this should help out:

Go to your settings, wireless and networking, Wi-Fi settings, hit your menu button then advanced, Wi-Fi sleep policy, Change your setting to when screen turns off or never when plugged in.

This has not completely fixed the problem but gets you trought the day.

Message 99 of 132 (5,885 Views)
Tutor

I tried this work around with the WIFI sleep policy. It helps some but the new update still severely decreases battery life. The update does fix the security issue and AP mobile data hog problem, otherwise not much different from 2.3.4. I never experienced the problem with the AP mobile. Battery life is more important to me so I changed back to the previous software 2.3.4. I will wait untill they fix the battery issue in any subsequent updates before I update the phone. It would be nice to get the ICS update but am sure ATT will wait a long time before letting that update out.

Message 100 of 132 (5,875 Views)
Tutor

Thanks for your recomendations. However, early this morning I intented to update and its appear the system was busy but ihas an update available. Right now, ssais the phone is up to date????I have the original OS 2.3.4:::
Message 101 of 132 (6,614 Views)
Teacher

For all the fears of mysterious power drain on wifi, I would say after a week of suffering it's back to normal. Now why did it happen, my guess is either AT&T, Samsung or Google was collecting data and sending information (perhaps a ton of it) only through wifi to save us the data charges and neglected to tell us.

Not that I'm giving them an excuse!

Message 102 of 132 (6,337 Views)

You got lucky - A few users who did data collection found that this is an internally generated interrupt from the wifi chipset itself...  No data transfer involved at all.

I posted more details in another thread...

Message 103 of 132 (6,261 Views)
Contributor

after any kind of update your phone will lose its battery life...if you train the battery everything should be back to normal...look up Train android battery on youtube
Message 104 of 132 (6,197 Views)
Highlighted
gtm
Teacher

I received the update download today, but have delayed installation.  After seeing all the negatives noted on this board, I would like to refuse the update.  Will I have the ability to refuse the update when the process begins?

Message 105 of 132 (6,000 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.