Wireless Forums

Posted Dec 15, 2011
7:45:06 PM
Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 2.3.6 OTA update now live

The original GS2 just got 2.3.6 OTA update. It is a 20MB download. Have fun.

131 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(131)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2012 7:07:21 AM
(0)
Scholar

WiFied wrote:

Thanks for your detailed explanation, Entropy.

To update everyone on my attempt to have AT&T replace my two phones, I received the two "refurbished" phones today. They are both BRAND NEW, and they are both 2.3.4.

If everyone will push this issue until you get sent a replacement phone, this will force AT&T to deal with this more quickly. Don't let them just send you a battery to get rid of you.

Here here, I've had issues in the past with other phones and comically they always want to send a new battery  as the fix which it never does lol...  Guess its just they're protocol before sending a replacement phone, I always just let them send the battery and when that doesn't correct the problem a replacement phone usually arrives a few days later.. 

WiFied wrote:

Thanks for your detailed explanation, Entropy.

To update everyone on my attempt to have AT&T replace my two phones, I received the two "refurbished" phones today. They are both BRAND NEW, and they are both 2.3.4.

If everyone will push this issue until you get sent a replacement phone, this will force AT&T to deal with this more quickly. Don't let them just send you a battery to get rid of you.

Here here, I've had issues in the past with other phones and comically they always want to send a new battery  as the fix which it never does lol...  Guess its just they're protocol before sending a replacement phone, I always just let them send the battery and when that doesn't correct the problem a replacement phone usually arrives a few days later.. 

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 2.3.6 OTA update now live

91 of 132 (6,714 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2012 8:02:27 PM
(0)
Tutor
totally agree
totally agree

92 of 132 (6,610 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2012 8:09:16 PM
(0)
Tutor
what AND HOW DO YOU DO THIS?
what AND HOW DO YOU DO THIS?

93 of 132 (6,607 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2012 11:29:16 AM
(0)
Tutor
I still have the same problem. Actually I am outside US and tried close tham a month trying to upgrade the OS and NOTHING. AT&T could submit the OS to download and install via USB??? All the time the server are "Busy"
I still have the same problem. Actually I am outside US and tried close tham a month trying to upgrade the OS and NOTHING. AT&T could submit the OS to download and install via USB??? All the time the server are "Busy"

94 of 132 (6,042 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2012 1:06:49 PM
(0)
Tutor
Two more issues from this fouled-up update:

1. I have lost Bluetooth connectivity to my wireless keyboard. (The mouse, too, but I really don't use that with a phone.)

2. The Wi-Fi problems extend even to the free AT&T hotspots at the McDonald's restaurants. How can you mess up the auto-connection to your own system?
Two more issues from this fouled-up update:

1. I have lost Bluetooth connectivity to my wireless keyboard. (The mouse, too, but I really don't use that with a phone.)

2. The Wi-Fi problems extend even to the free AT&T hotspots at the McDonald's restaurants. How can you mess up the auto-connection to your own system?

95 of 132 (5,273 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2012 3:22:07 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Jan 11, 2012 at 3:23:09 PM

BT HID problem is also a known bug of 2.3.6 update. Why anyone still wants so desperately to download this is beyond me. There is a full ROM posted on XDA site which you can download and apply from your PC to the phone if you can't get the OTA update.

BT HID problem is also a known bug of 2.3.6 update. Why anyone still wants so desperately to download this is beyond me. There is a full ROM posted on XDA site which you can download and apply from your PC to the phone if you can't get the OTA update.

[ Edited ]
96 of 132 (5,251 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2012 3:51:23 PM
(0)
Tutor

And posting from a SonyEricsson LT15i? I've never even seen one in the wild.

And posting from a SonyEricsson LT15i? I've never even seen one in the wild.

97 of 132 (5,244 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2012 8:28:17 PM
(0)
Contributor
JBOMX363

Did the battery and SD card out and overnight charge finally work? Is your battery life back to normal?
JBOMX363

Did the battery and SD card out and overnight charge finally work? Is your battery life back to normal?

98 of 132 (5,219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2012 7:18:05 AM
(0)
Contributor

If you are having the battery issue fallow these steps and this should help out:

Go to your settings, wireless and networking, Wi-Fi settings, hit your menu button then advanced, Wi-Fi sleep policy, Change your setting to when screen turns off or never when plugged in.

This has not completely fixed the problem but gets you trought the day.

If you are having the battery issue fallow these steps and this should help out:

Go to your settings, wireless and networking, Wi-Fi settings, hit your menu button then advanced, Wi-Fi sleep policy, Change your setting to when screen turns off or never when plugged in.

This has not completely fixed the problem but gets you trought the day.

99 of 132 (5,161 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2012 7:59:15 AM
(0)
Tutor

I tried this work around with the WIFI sleep policy. It helps some but the new update still severely decreases battery life. The update does fix the security issue and AP mobile data hog problem, otherwise not much different from 2.3.4. I never experienced the problem with the AP mobile. Battery life is more important to me so I changed back to the previous software 2.3.4. I will wait untill they fix the battery issue in any subsequent updates before I update the phone. It would be nice to get the ICS update but am sure ATT will wait a long time before letting that update out.

I tried this work around with the WIFI sleep policy. It helps some but the new update still severely decreases battery life. The update does fix the security issue and AP mobile data hog problem, otherwise not much different from 2.3.4. I never experienced the problem with the AP mobile. Battery life is more important to me so I changed back to the previous software 2.3.4. I will wait untill they fix the battery issue in any subsequent updates before I update the phone. It would be nice to get the ICS update but am sure ATT will wait a long time before letting that update out.

100 of 132 (5,151 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2012 10:14:22 AM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks for your recomendations. However, early this morning I intented to update and its appear the system was busy but ihas an update available. Right now, ssais the phone is up to date????I have the original OS 2.3.4:::
Thanks for your recomendations. However, early this morning I intented to update and its appear the system was busy but ihas an update available. Right now, ssais the phone is up to date????I have the original OS 2.3.4:::

101 of 132 (5,890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2012 9:24:51 AM
(0)
Teacher

For all the fears of mysterious power drain on wifi, I would say after a week of suffering it's back to normal. Now why did it happen, my guess is either AT&T, Samsung or Google was collecting data and sending information (perhaps a ton of it) only through wifi to save us the data charges and neglected to tell us.

Not that I'm giving them an excuse!

For all the fears of mysterious power drain on wifi, I would say after a week of suffering it's back to normal. Now why did it happen, my guess is either AT&T, Samsung or Google was collecting data and sending information (perhaps a ton of it) only through wifi to save us the data charges and neglected to tell us.

Not that I'm giving them an excuse!

102 of 132 (5,613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2012 7:41:34 AM
(0)
Guru

You got lucky - A few users who did data collection found that this is an internally generated interrupt from the wifi chipset itself...  No data transfer involved at all.

I posted more details in another thread...

You got lucky - A few users who did data collection found that this is an internally generated interrupt from the wifi chipset itself...  No data transfer involved at all.

I posted more details in another thread...

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

103 of 132 (5,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2012 10:11:56 AM
(0)
Contributor
after any kind of update your phone will lose its battery life...if you train the battery everything should be back to normal...look up Train android battery on youtube
after any kind of update your phone will lose its battery life...if you train the battery everything should be back to normal...look up Train android battery on youtube

104 of 132 (5,473 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2012 2:23:33 PM
(0)
Teacher

I received the update download today, but have delayed installation.  After seeing all the negatives noted on this board, I would like to refuse the update.  Will I have the ability to refuse the update when the process begins?

I received the update download today, but have delayed installation.  After seeing all the negatives noted on this board, I would like to refuse the update.  Will I have the ability to refuse the update when the process begins?

105 of 132 (5,276 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2012 2:55:46 PM
(0)
Master

IIRC, you can delay 3 times and then it will force the installation. But no one has verified this process.

What you can do is go to Settings->Applications->Manage Applications->All, Open Device management app and clear the data for the app. This way, it will wipe out the downloaded update and no longer ask you for installation.

IIRC, you can delay 3 times and then it will force the installation. But no one has verified this process.

What you can do is go to Settings->Applications->Manage Applications->All, Open Device management app and clear the data for the app. This way, it will wipe out the downloaded update and no longer ask you for installation.

106 of 132 (5,255 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2012 3:12:24 PM
(0)
Teacher

Perfect!  It seems to have deleted the update.

Thank you!

Perfect!  It seems to have deleted the update.

Thank you!

107 of 132 (5,242 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 9:17:40 AM
(0)
Voyager
same with me. my battery just dies out even when on stand by. its ridiculous. how can you fix it?
same with me. my battery just dies out even when on stand by. its ridiculous. how can you fix it?

108 of 132 (4,900 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 12:55:15 PM
(0)
Tutor

Has anyone had problems with wifi not working when unrooting from 2.3.6 back to 2.3.4?

I want to make sure I don't have any permanant issues with wifi if I do this.  I was reading a bunch of posts that people are having issues when trying to root the phone when on 2.3.6 first.

Anyone?

Has anyone had problems with wifi not working when unrooting from 2.3.6 back to 2.3.4?

I want to make sure I don't have any permanant issues with wifi if I do this.  I was reading a bunch of posts that people are having issues when trying to root the phone when on 2.3.6 first.

Anyone?

109 of 132 (4,864 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2012 6:21:21 AM
(0)
Guru

jackal2001 wrote:

Anyone?

Reverting requires you to do a wipe data/factory reset - the only people who had wifi issues after reverting did not do this step.

Wifi only breaks on UCKK6 if you use older custom kernels not compatible with it - since a custom kernel is the most common way to root UCKK6, people assume that rooting broke the wifi, but it was HOW they rooted that broke it.

A complete UCKH7 return-to-stock (kernel and system) will not have any wifi issues as long as you do a wipe.

jackal2001 wrote:

Anyone?

Reverting requires you to do a wipe data/factory reset - the only people who had wifi issues after reverting did not do this step.

Wifi only breaks on UCKK6 if you use older custom kernels not compatible with it - since a custom kernel is the most common way to root UCKK6, people assume that rooting broke the wifi, but it was HOW they rooted that broke it.

A complete UCKH7 return-to-stock (kernel and system) will not have any wifi issues as long as you do a wipe.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

110 of 132 (4,751 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2012 6:51:02 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you very much.  I've never done any type of rooting before, so I'm hesitant to unroot back to 2.3.4 and then root it.  I would like to use a custom rom then after that but since I don't know much about this I'm worried about compatability between kernel and roms.

On another note. I've set my wifi under advanced options to sleep when screen is not in use.  With those settings, 9hrs overnight, my phone only used up 7% of the battery.  This is way better than before when my phone would have 50% charge and my phone would be dead in 5 hrs.

Thank you very much.  I've never done any type of rooting before, so I'm hesitant to unroot back to 2.3.4 and then root it.  I would like to use a custom rom then after that but since I don't know much about this I'm worried about compatability between kernel and roms.

On another note. I've set my wifi under advanced options to sleep when screen is not in use.  With those settings, 9hrs overnight, my phone only used up 7% of the battery.  This is way better than before when my phone would have 50% charge and my phone would be dead in 5 hrs.

111 of 132 (5,796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2012 11:53:35 AM
(0)
Guru

Reverting back to UCKH7 is not "unrooting" - it's just flashing.  You can revert back to UCKH7 without ever rooting.  However you will have to enter factory recovery (VolDn + VolUp + Power when the device is turned off) to wipe data after reverting.

You will, unfortunately, need to root if you want to remove the update notifications or remove the AP Mobile widget, which is notorious for eating data on UCKH7.

Unfortunately, there is no firmware available that provides satisfactory performance without rooting.  UCKH7 eats your data (easy to fix with root), UCKK6 eats your battery (no known fix).

Reverting back to UCKH7 is not "unrooting" - it's just flashing.  You can revert back to UCKH7 without ever rooting.  However you will have to enter factory recovery (VolDn + VolUp + Power when the device is turned off) to wipe data after reverting.

You will, unfortunately, need to root if you want to remove the update notifications or remove the AP Mobile widget, which is notorious for eating data on UCKH7.

Unfortunately, there is no firmware available that provides satisfactory performance without rooting.  UCKH7 eats your data (easy to fix with root), UCKK6 eats your battery (no known fix).

112 of 132 (5,713 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2012 1:40:35 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi Entropy512,

I wish I should have "searched" a bit more and read you in xda forums.But i did not.Apologies.

I am also an another victim of 2.3.6 update and Battery Drain issue...

So after reading this thread..Decided to go back to 2.3.4 considering the other URL in this thread as a guide..

I have downloaded the files from here as they have mentioned and did the steps carefully..

Also afraid of WIFI after reverting back to 2.3.4.So also did the factory reset as you suggest in message

110(<<Reverting requires you to do a wipe data/factory reset - the only people who had wifi issues after reverting did not do this step>>.)

Now I am back to 2.3.4 it seems and  do NOT have any issues like WIFI actomatically disconnect.Can not hear caller etc..

However I have noticed that my phone Baseband version is still I777UCKK6..It is supposed to be I777UCKH7.Correct?

What did I do wrong? what should i do? Please advise..

Please note that this is my first smartphone using couple of months and I am new to android.

Information from the Phone:

Model number

SAMSUNG-SGH-I777

Androd Version

Baseband version

I777UCKK6

Kernel version

Build number

GINGERBREAD.UCKH7

Thank you  in advance.

Hi Entropy512,

I wish I should have "searched" a bit more and read you in xda forums.But i did not.Apologies.

I am also an another victim of 2.3.6 update and Battery Drain issue...

So after reading this thread..Decided to go back to 2.3.4 considering the other URL in this thread as a guide..

I have downloaded the files from here as they have mentioned and did the steps carefully..

Also afraid of WIFI after reverting back to 2.3.4.So also did the factory reset as you suggest in message

110(<<Reverting requires you to do a wipe data/factory reset - the only people who had wifi issues after reverting did not do this step>>.)

Now I am back to 2.3.4 it seems and  do NOT have any issues like WIFI actomatically disconnect.Can not hear caller etc..

However I have noticed that my phone Baseband version is still I777UCKK6..It is supposed to be I777UCKH7.Correct?

What did I do wrong? what should i do? Please advise..

Please note that this is my first smartphone using couple of months and I am new to android.

Information from the Phone:

Model number

SAMSUNG-SGH-I777

Androd Version

Baseband version

I777UCKK6

Kernel version

Build number

GINGERBREAD.UCKH7

Thank you  in advance.

113 of 132 (5,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2012 8:06:26 AM
(0)
Guru

I keep the modem (baseband) a separate download.  Most people prefer the UCKK6 modem, but if you want to revert that too, grab the modem package from that thread.

The problems with UCKK6 lie in the system image and not the modem - the UCKK6 modem actually seems to do better, so unless you're planning on a warranty return you might want to keep the KK6 baseband.

I keep the modem (baseband) a separate download.  Most people prefer the UCKK6 modem, but if you want to revert that too, grab the modem package from that thread.

The problems with UCKK6 lie in the system image and not the modem - the UCKK6 modem actually seems to do better, so unless you're planning on a warranty return you might want to keep the KK6 baseband.

114 of 132 (5,094 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2012 11:25:29 AM
(0)
Tutor

Andied-I reverted my phone back to 2.3.4 after downloading the update. It just killed battery life. Now my phone stats are the same you have indicated.  Entrophy is correct about the modem part. It really doesnt effect the phone that much but reverting back to the original software did increase the battery life. Am still amazed that ATT would release an update as flawed as the 2.4.6. I learned one lesson and thats to read the forums first before downloading any updates. If I had I would not have downloaded the update in the first place.  

Andied-I reverted my phone back to 2.3.4 after downloading the update. It just killed battery life. Now my phone stats are the same you have indicated.  Entrophy is correct about the modem part. It really doesnt effect the phone that much but reverting back to the original software did increase the battery life. Am still amazed that ATT would release an update as flawed as the 2.4.6. I learned one lesson and thats to read the forums first before downloading any updates. If I had I would not have downloaded the update in the first place.  

115 of 132 (5,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2012 8:11:13 AM
(0)
Voyager

Where are you on this AT&T? A lot of your customers are experiencing pain here, with an update you forced. This seems to be the best you will do:

<ATT Rep>: What you can try is to actually contact Samsung to see if there's any way to either reverse the update or find a fix for the issue. If not, we at AT&T could certainly look at a warranty exchange for either the phone or even just the battery, depending on where the issues stems from.

However, Samsung is not helping either.

Can't some junior-level exec at AT&T put an hour into some junior-level exec at Samsung to get something going?

At least acknowledge the issue. I've been a customer for a decade+ now, and I've been happy until now.

Where are you on this AT&T? A lot of your customers are experiencing pain here, with an update you forced. This seems to be the best you will do:

<ATT Rep>: What you can try is to actually contact Samsung to see if there's any way to either reverse the update or find a fix for the issue. If not, we at AT&T could certainly look at a warranty exchange for either the phone or even just the battery, depending on where the issues stems from.

However, Samsung is not helping either.

Can't some junior-level exec at AT&T put an hour into some junior-level exec at Samsung to get something going?

At least acknowledge the issue. I've been a customer for a decade+ now, and I've been happy until now.

116 of 132 (4,941 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2012 8:27:08 AM
(0)
Guru

It's sad that AT&T isn't capable of even releasing an Odin One-Click that contains the original UCKH7 firmware.

Flashing the original firmware is NOT hard - the hardest part is finding the right drivers for Odin, which AT&T could easily distribute.

Even better - they could distribute UCKH7 with the AP Mobile widget removed and device management (OTA updates) disabled - the most frustrating thing about UCKK6 is that, after rejecting a few notifications, it forces an update!

It's sad that AT&T isn't capable of even releasing an Odin One-Click that contains the original UCKH7 firmware.

Flashing the original firmware is NOT hard - the hardest part is finding the right drivers for Odin, which AT&T could easily distribute.

Even better - they could distribute UCKH7 with the AP Mobile widget removed and device management (OTA updates) disabled - the most frustrating thing about UCKK6 is that, after rejecting a few notifications, it forces an update!

117 of 132 (4,743 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2012 10:30:19 AM
(0)
Teacher

Add me to the list of people who suffers horrible battery life after letting the update hit my stock phone.

Add me to the list of people who suffers horrible battery life after letting the update hit my stock phone.

118 of 132 (4,722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2012 3:43:45 PM
(0)
Teacher

Entropy512 wrote:

I've rejected every attempt for the 2.3.6 update, and it's never forced it on me.

Entropy512 wrote:

I've rejected every attempt for the 2.3.6 update, and it's never forced it on me.

119 of 132 (4,677 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2012 3:42:49 PM
(0)
Teacher

I factory reset my phone and it still says version 2.3.6. Is this the newest version? I was trying to remove it.

I factory reset my phone and it still says version 2.3.6. Is this the newest version? I was trying to remove it.

120 of 132 (4,596 Views)