Wireless Forums

Posted Dec 15, 2011
7:45:06 PM
Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 2.3.6 OTA update now live

The original GS2 just got 2.3.6 OTA update. It is a 20MB download. Have fun.

131 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(131)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 12:02:51 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Dec 28, 2011 at 12:25:11 PM

There are two ways to return to 2.3.4 and get back to decent battery life:

Call (800) 801-1101 and go through the hassle of getting a warranty exchange for your phone. I just did this, but it took me about 2 hours on the phone over two different days to get it approved. But I've got 2 i777's that both experienced drastically decreased battery life after updating to 2.3.6. (I hope that the phones they send have not been updated to 2.3.6 yet.)

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Simply doing a factory reset will NOT return your phone to 2.3.4 after updating to 2.3.6.

If you have the time, do the first method, because this will force AT&T and Samsung to take notice and do something about this sooner.

There are two ways to return to 2.3.4 and get back to decent battery life:

Call (800) 801-1101 and go through the hassle of getting a warranty exchange for your phone. I just did this, but it took me about 2 hours on the phone over two different days to get it approved. But I've got 2 i777's that both experienced drastically decreased battery life after updating to 2.3.6. (I hope that the phones they send have not been updated to 2.3.6 yet.)

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Simply doing a factory reset will NOT return your phone to 2.3.4 after updating to 2.3.6.

If you have the time, do the first method, because this will force AT&T and Samsung to take notice and do something about this sooner.

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 2.3.6 OTA update now live

[ Edited ]
61 of 132 (6,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 12:27:48 PM
(0)
Master

Keep in mind warranty exchange typically gives you a refurbished phone. And there is no guarantee the refurbs you get won't have 2.3.6 loaded already (typically happens after 1 or 2 months of the update availability).

Keep in mind warranty exchange typically gives you a refurbished phone. And there is no guarantee the refurbs you get won't have 2.3.6 loaded already (typically happens after 1 or 2 months of the update availability).

62 of 132 (6,182 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 1:49:18 PM
(0)
Tutor

My second way to revert back to 2.3.6 was edited out by the moderator. It was similar to:

http://galaxys2root.com/att-galaxy-s2/how-to-unroot-att-galaxy-s2-sgh-i777/

(which the moderator has allowed to remain in message #53 and #55 of this thread).

My second way to revert back to 2.3.6 was edited out by the moderator. It was similar to:

http://galaxys2root.com/att-galaxy-s2/how-to-unroot-att-galaxy-s2-sgh-i777/

(which the moderator has allowed to remain in message #53 and #55 of this thread).

63 of 132 (6,158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 2:36:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just wanted to restate the instructions Beef posted.

How to Downgrade 2.3.6 to 2.3.4

Follow the instructions here: http://galaxys2root.com/att-galaxy-s2/how-to-unroot-att-galaxy-s2-sgh-i777/

Don't follow step 8 and beyond unless you have to.  All your settings will be completely saved and you will be back on your old phone like before without the bad battery life.  Your phone does NOT have to be rooted to follow these instructions.

Follow the instructions here: http://galaxys2root.com/att-galaxy-s2/how-to-unroot-att-galaxy-s2-sgh-i777/

Don't follow step 8 and beyond unless you have to.  All your settings will be completely saved and you will be back on your old phone like before without the bad battery life.  Your phone does NOT have to be rooted to follow these instructions.

64 of 132 (6,145 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 2:39:27 PM
(0)
Contributor

ironj221 wrote:

Absolutely correct. You do not have to go to step 8 unless your phone has any issues beyond that. Mine couldn't connect to wifi and I did have to go to step 8. But this will bring your phone completely back to the way it was the day you got it. I've done this to mine and my fathers and we couldn't be more happy.

So hey AT&T, you should release an anti-update, or just release ICS already.

ironj221 wrote:

Absolutely correct. You do not have to go to step 8 unless your phone has any issues beyond that. Mine couldn't connect to wifi and I did have to go to step 8. But this will bring your phone completely back to the way it was the day you got it. I've done this to mine and my fathers and we couldn't be more happy.

So hey AT&T, you should release an anti-update, or just release ICS already.

65 of 132 (6,142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 3:46:53 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by chase016 on Dec 28, 2011 at 3:47:54 PM

Anyone get Vlingo with the double tap home key working? I've gone through all the settings over a dozen times. I changed the engine from google back to vlingo and tweaked the settings to where I like them, but still the only way now to get to voice command is by going into applications then "voice command". It was so much more convenient when driving to just double tap home and have it ready. Or does anyone know of any other way to open it aside from setting a home screen shortcut? I thought saying "Hello Galaxy" was supposed to open it so I've been talking to my phone for the last 5 minutes hah.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone get Vlingo with the double tap home key working? I've gone through all the settings over a dozen times. I changed the engine from google back to vlingo and tweaked the settings to where I like them, but still the only way now to get to voice command is by going into applications then "voice command". It was so much more convenient when driving to just double tap home and have it ready. Or does anyone know of any other way to open it aside from setting a home screen shortcut? I thought saying "Hello Galaxy" was supposed to open it so I've been talking to my phone for the last 5 minutes hah.

Thanks in advance.

[ Edited ]
66 of 132 (6,113 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 4:59:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

The double-tap home key was removed in 2.3.6, to fix the home button lag.

There is probably a way to set up Tasker to replace this feature.

Also, the Android Market version of Vlingo is apparently superior to both VoiceTalk and VoiceCommand (both are versions of Vlingo) that come on our phone, so you might want to get that free app.

The double-tap home key was removed in 2.3.6, to fix the home button lag.

There is probably a way to set up Tasker to replace this feature.

Also, the Android Market version of Vlingo is apparently superior to both VoiceTalk and VoiceCommand (both are versions of Vlingo) that come on our phone, so you might want to get that free app.

67 of 132 (6,080 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 11:12:48 AM
(0)
Teacher

Just got off att chat. Got switched to warranty chat...took awhile, but they are sending new battery. They said they've never heard of battery issues after the upgrade and are not aware of any other updates coming at this time.

For those reverting back to 2.3.4........has your battery life gone back to the way it was, or is it still as poor as at 2.3.6?

If still poor, this would confirm the "defective after upgrade". If not.. then.....hurry up with ICS.

Just got off att chat. Got switched to warranty chat...took awhile, but they are sending new battery. They said they've never heard of battery issues after the upgrade and are not aware of any other updates coming at this time.

For those reverting back to 2.3.4........has your battery life gone back to the way it was, or is it still as poor as at 2.3.6?

If still poor, this would confirm the "defective after upgrade". If not.. then.....hurry up with ICS.

68 of 132 (5,886 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 11:33:56 AM
(0)
Contributor

I followed the steps from the link in post #63 and my battery life is significantly improved.  I have spoken to reps at the AT&T store and spoken to warranty support twice.  They all give the same story that this is the first they have heard of it.  Very convenient that nobody at AT&T seems to have heard of an issue that many people are calling in about.  I recommend to any user that is on 2.3.4 to not go through with the update, and any user that has already updated, to immediately roll back to the previous version using the link above.

I followed the steps from the link in post #63 and my battery life is significantly improved.  I have spoken to reps at the AT&T store and spoken to warranty support twice.  They all give the same story that this is the first they have heard of it.  Very convenient that nobody at AT&T seems to have heard of an issue that many people are calling in about.  I recommend to any user that is on 2.3.4 to not go through with the update, and any user that has already updated, to immediately roll back to the previous version using the link above.

69 of 132 (5,876 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 12:17:46 PM
(0)
Tutor

jbomx363 wrote:

They said the same thing to me. But after telling them that I have other batteries, and the issue is not with the battery, and the fact that we have two of these phones and both experienced the exact same problem only after updating, they are sending the replacements.

After you get the battery and try it out for a couple of charge cyles, call them back and make them send you a replacement phone.

I know that I could easily flash back to 2.3.4 as outlined above, but by going through the replacement, I'm trying to make this an issue that AT&T has to deal with.

jbomx363 wrote:

They said the same thing to me. But after telling them that I have other batteries, and the issue is not with the battery, and the fact that we have two of these phones and both experienced the exact same problem only after updating, they are sending the replacements.

After you get the battery and try it out for a couple of charge cyles, call them back and make them send you a replacement phone.

I know that I could easily flash back to 2.3.4 as outlined above, but by going through the replacement, I'm trying to make this an issue that AT&T has to deal with.

70 of 132 (5,864 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 12:55:05 PM
(0)
Teacher
I'm not going to turn in my NEW phone for a refurb. If the new batteries don't do diddly, I'll still survive. I'm using app killer that helps me get a full day in.
I'm not going to turn in my NEW phone for a refurb. If the new batteries don't do diddly, I'll still survive. I'm using app killer that helps me get a full day in.

71 of 132 (6,000 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 8:20:23 PM
(0)
Contributor

You might be one of the people not getting the bug, but other people definitely are getting the bug so AT&T needs to address this with another update or by pulling the update and making all the phones that updated revert to 2.3.4

I will be continuing to bump this thread because this kind of service in unacceptable when we pay so much.

You might be one of the people not getting the bug, but other people definitely are getting the bug so AT&T needs to address this with another update or by pulling the update and making all the phones that updated revert to 2.3.4

I will be continuing to bump this thread because this kind of service in unacceptable when we pay so much.

72 of 132 (5,900 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 11:44:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

If you just take the free battery, and then don't let AT&T know that this did not fix the problem, they'll think that the problem was the battery, and they'll not think that there are serious problems with this update. You'll be waiting for months for ICS, and you'll need that battery often until then. (You probably should purchase an external charger so that you can charge it quickly. You won't be able to keep both batteries charged with just your phone!)

My phone isn't new any more. And every refurbished phone that I've gotten from AT&T over the years (probably around 7 refurb phones) has ALWAYS been brand new. So, replacing my used phone with a new one is fine with me, and it is exactly what will bring this problem to the attention of AT&T.

If you just take the free battery, and then don't let AT&T know that this did not fix the problem, they'll think that the problem was the battery, and they'll not think that there are serious problems with this update. You'll be waiting for months for ICS, and you'll need that battery often until then. (You probably should purchase an external charger so that you can charge it quickly. You won't be able to keep both batteries charged with just your phone!)

My phone isn't new any more. And every refurbished phone that I've gotten from AT&T over the years (probably around 7 refurb phones) has ALWAYS been brand new. So, replacing my used phone with a new one is fine with me, and it is exactly what will bring this problem to the attention of AT&T.

73 of 132 (5,860 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2011 7:11:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have been home for the holiday period so I have had my Wifi turned on this whole time.  Yesterday I turned off the WiFi and now have a totally different battery use to report.   With WiFi off and very little use of the phone my battery is now at 80% after 24 hours with Android 2.3.6

I have been home for the holiday period so I have had my Wifi turned on this whole time.  Yesterday I turned off the WiFi and now have a totally different battery use to report.   With WiFi off and very little use of the phone my battery is now at 80% after 24 hours with Android 2.3.6

74 of 132 (5,820 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2011 9:47:35 AM
(0)
Contributor

I may have found a possible fix?

My phone has just decided to have normal (and somewhat improved) battery life now after about a week with the battery issue.

The only thing that I can see that I did was to fully charge the phone and then let it discharge completely until it shuts off. I then left it shut off for about half an hour or so. After I turned it back on, the battery life was better than what I was getting before and all the issues I was having disappeared. I've gone 26 hours with normal use and the battery is now at 33% (with 2.3.4, it would be very close to dead at this point).

I'm not sure if that's the actual fix, or if I did something else, but either way, the issue is gone for me now. That's the only thing that I did that I think could have made a difference.

The phone isn't rooted or anything, in case anyone was wondering.

I may have found a possible fix?

My phone has just decided to have normal (and somewhat improved) battery life now after about a week with the battery issue.

The only thing that I can see that I did was to fully charge the phone and then let it discharge completely until it shuts off. I then left it shut off for about half an hour or so. After I turned it back on, the battery life was better than what I was getting before and all the issues I was having disappeared. I've gone 26 hours with normal use and the battery is now at 33% (with 2.3.4, it would be very close to dead at this point).

I'm not sure if that's the actual fix, or if I did something else, but either way, the issue is gone for me now. That's the only thing that I did that I think could have made a difference.

The phone isn't rooted or anything, in case anyone was wondering.

75 of 132 (5,787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2011 9:49:20 AM
(0)
Contributor

Oh, I should mention that I did not let it charge during that half hour. I left it completely dead (I didn't have a charger on me at the time). After I plugged it in to charge, I turned it on immediately and haven't seen the issue since.

Oh, I should mention that I did not let it charge during that half hour. I left it completely dead (I didn't have a charger on me at the time). After I plugged it in to charge, I turned it on immediately and haven't seen the issue since.

76 of 132 (5,785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2011 10:30:04 AM
(0)
Tutor

How come you guys don't just root your phone and remove all the ATT bloatware/rogue apps?

How come you guys don't just root your phone and remove all the ATT bloatware/rogue apps?

77 of 132 (5,778 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2011 11:44:39 AM
(0)
Teacher

kyrax13 wrote:

Why should we do that as a work around when it's an ATT issue?

Some of us don't care to root.

Bottom line... att issue, they need to find the problem and fix it for their customers.

kyrax13 wrote:

Why should we do that as a work around when it's an ATT issue?

Some of us don't care to root.

Bottom line... att issue, they need to find the problem and fix it for their customers.

78 of 132 (5,764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2011 12:06:31 PM
(0)
Tutor
Yes, either AT&T didn't adequately test this update or they knew about the outstanding issues and released it anyway. In either case, they will not admit responsibility (and, of course, liability) and are content to let us complain here where we can cause the least amount of PR damage.

I'm sure a fix will be released in the weeks ahead, but there will be no acknowledgement of what they did -- and certainly no apologies.
Yes, either AT&T didn't adequately test this update or they knew about the outstanding issues and released it anyway. In either case, they will not admit responsibility (and, of course, liability) and are content to let us complain here where we can cause the least amount of PR damage.

I'm sure a fix will be released in the weeks ahead, but there will be no acknowledgement of what they did -- and certainly no apologies.

79 of 132 (5,757 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2011 12:20:24 PM
(0)
Teacher
Saw this on another site and said what the heck.. ez to try... well... I don't know the reasoning but so far...

Pulled battery and pulled SD card. Charge overnight.. So far.. my android OS is back down to 9-11% where it has been running at 57-87% or so. ON battery for 5hrs and at 81%.

Will monitor this more to see if anything changes in the next few days.
Saw this on another site and said what the heck.. ez to try... well... I don't know the reasoning but so far...

Pulled battery and pulled SD card. Charge overnight.. So far.. my android OS is back down to 9-11% where it has been running at 57-87% or so. ON battery for 5hrs and at 81%.

Will monitor this more to see if anything changes in the next few days.

80 of 132 (5,754 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2011 4:49:14 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm having battery issuses as well. But what I did notice was when I turn on WiFi, my battery drains a lot quicker. I think it's a WiFi issue....

I'm having battery issuses as well. But what I did notice was when I turn on WiFi, my battery drains a lot quicker. I think it's a WiFi issue....

81 of 132 (6,457 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2011 7:34:33 PM
(0)
Mentor

ironj221 wrote:

I did this - ended up having to follow step 8, as my wifi wouldn't turn on. Now everything works like a champ and the battery seems to be much better! Thank you everyone who posted about this. :smileyhappy:

ironj221 wrote:

I did this - ended up having to follow step 8, as my wifi wouldn't turn on. Now everything works like a champ and the battery seems to be much better! Thank you everyone who posted about this. :smileyhappy:

82 of 132 (6,426 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2011 7:41:54 AM
(0)
Guru

It's a problem with how the Broadcom BCM4330 (which does Wifi and Bluetooth) is managed.

It is also affecting recent leaks for the Samsung Infuse.

Basically, a "feature" of this chip is Broadcom's Bluetooth Alternate MAC and PHY (BT-AMP) which apparently is supposed to allow Bluetooth to be routed over Wifi for increased speed with BT chipsets that support it.

The problem is that I've never seen BT-AMP do anything other than go nuts and fire wakeup interrupts at 1 Hz.  This is the cause of at least one of the 2.3.6 battery drain situations.

All of the tricks people have described involving weirdo charging regimens are NOT fixes.

The problem is intermittent, so rebooting usually fixes it for a while, but it will come back.  Over in the Infuse forums, sometimes it seemed to be caused by having wifi active and then leaving the wifi network (but not always):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1408433

If you want to confirm that your root cause is BT-AMP, when you are experiencing drain, follow the Wireshark capture instructions here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1308030

Look for stuff like this:

1 0.000000    9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
      2 1.230671    9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
      3 2.457567    9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
      4 3.688167    9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
      5 4.915498    9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
      8 6.145554    9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     10 7.374758    9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     11 8.603045    9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     12 9.832158    9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     15 11.061042   9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     16 12.289468   9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     19 13.518508   9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     20 14.746922   9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     22 15.976068   9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     25 17.204985   9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     26 18.433658   9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     27 19.662156   9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     28 20.890973   9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     29 22.120120   9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     30 23.144282   9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     31 24.168026   9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     32 25.396524   9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II

around once a second.

It's a problem with how the Broadcom BCM4330 (which does Wifi and Bluetooth) is managed.

It is also affecting recent leaks for the Samsung Infuse.

Basically, a "feature" of this chip is Broadcom's Bluetooth Alternate MAC and PHY (BT-AMP) which apparently is supposed to allow Bluetooth to be routed over Wifi for increased speed with BT chipsets that support it.

The problem is that I've never seen BT-AMP do anything other than go nuts and fire wakeup interrupts at 1 Hz.  This is the cause of at least one of the 2.3.6 battery drain situations.

All of the tricks people have described involving weirdo charging regimens are NOT fixes.

The problem is intermittent, so rebooting usually fixes it for a while, but it will come back.  Over in the Infuse forums, sometimes it seemed to be caused by having wifi active and then leaving the wifi network (but not always):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1408433

If you want to confirm that your root cause is BT-AMP, when you are experiencing drain, follow the Wireshark capture instructions here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1308030

Look for stuff like this:

1 0.000000    9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
      2 1.230671    9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
      3 2.457567    9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
      4 3.688167    9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
      5 4.915498    9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
      8 6.145554    9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     10 7.374758    9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     11 8.603045    9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     12 9.832158    9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     15 11.061042   9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     16 12.289468   9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     19 13.518508   9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     20 14.746922   9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     22 15.976068   9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     25 17.204985   9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     26 18.433658   9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     27 19.662156   9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     28 20.890973   9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     29 22.120120   9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     30 23.144282   9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     31 24.168026   9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II
     32 25.396524   9a:0c:82:63:72:56     SamsungE_63:72:56     0x886c   74     Ethernet II

around once a second.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

83 of 132 (6,373 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2011 8:46:17 AM
(0)
Tutor

As I posted above, when I turn WiFi off I am getting great battery life with 2.3.6.  I have also been rebooting for the last two mornings when I take the S2 off the charger.  Entropy512 your post is the first one that makes sense to me.

As I posted above, when I turn WiFi off I am getting great battery life with 2.3.6.  I have also been rebooting for the last two mornings when I take the S2 off the charger.  Entropy512 your post is the first one that makes sense to me.

84 of 132 (6,359 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2011 10:59:14 AM
(0)
Mentor

It sounds like it might be a problem with noise suppression. Try the settings menu in a call to temporarily turn it off or on.

There is also a setting in Settings, Call, Additional Settings, Noise Suppression that I think is the default.

Let us know if that helps or not...

It sounds like it might be a problem with noise suppression. Try the settings menu in a call to temporarily turn it off or on.

There is also a setting in Settings, Call, Additional Settings, Noise Suppression that I think is the default.

Let us know if that helps or not...

85 of 132 (6,340 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2011 11:03:40 AM
(0)
Mentor

One of the things included in 2.3.6 is a very important update to a security bug. Before, if you have a lock screen pattern, there was NO SECURITY.

With 2.3.4, when I power up the phone from sleep, I see the lock screen. I log in, check email, whatever, turn off. Then when I hit the power again, I see the lock screen. Sounds good, but wait. I just let that lock screen time-out, the phone goes dark, then hit the power again...presto, you are in the unlocked phone without knowing the lock pattern.

This is lethal if you leave your phone at a coffee shop, and someone picks it up and starts snooping.

2.3.6 patches this bug.

One of the things included in 2.3.6 is a very important update to a security bug. Before, if you have a lock screen pattern, there was NO SECURITY.

With 2.3.4, when I power up the phone from sleep, I see the lock screen. I log in, check email, whatever, turn off. Then when I hit the power again, I see the lock screen. Sounds good, but wait. I just let that lock screen time-out, the phone goes dark, then hit the power again...presto, you are in the unlocked phone without knowing the lock pattern.

This is lethal if you leave your phone at a coffee shop, and someone picks it up and starts snooping.

2.3.6 patches this bug.

86 of 132 (6,339 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2011 11:27:51 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by sboard468 on Dec 31, 2011 at 11:34:16 AM

so i downloaded the update, but i'v been reading these issues so i postponed it for 3 hours i think. is there any way I can delete the update or delete the reminder all together. I really dont want the phone to force update itself after 3 hours.

so i downloaded the update, but i'v been reading these issues so i postponed it for 3 hours i think. is there any way I can delete the update or delete the reminder all together. I really dont want the phone to force update itself after 3 hours.

[ Edited ]
87 of 132 (6,331 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2011 12:06:26 PM
(0)
Tutor

I don't understand your logic.

Why should you have to wait on your carrier to fix the problem when a simple root can fix most of the problem?

Why in the world woul someone get an Android phone without even spending a bit of time with their phone. Also for implying rooting is hard.... SMH

I don't understand your logic.

Why should you have to wait on your carrier to fix the problem when a simple root can fix most of the problem?

Why in the world woul someone get an Android phone without even spending a bit of time with their phone. Also for implying rooting is hard.... SMH

88 of 132 (6,316 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2011 3:20:40 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by WiFied on Dec 31, 2011 at 3:21:48 PM

Thanks for your detailed explanation, Entropy.

To update everyone on my attempt to have AT&T replace my two phones, I received the two "refurbished" phones today. They are both BRAND NEW, and they are both 2.3.4.

If everyone will push this issue until you get sent a replacement phone, this will force AT&T to deal with this more quickly. Don't let them just send you a battery to get rid of you.

Thanks for your detailed explanation, Entropy.

To update everyone on my attempt to have AT&T replace my two phones, I received the two "refurbished" phones today. They are both BRAND NEW, and they are both 2.3.4.

If everyone will push this issue until you get sent a replacement phone, this will force AT&T to deal with this more quickly. Don't let them just send you a battery to get rid of you.

[ Edited ]
89 of 132 (6,287 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2011 3:55:37 PM
(0)
Guru

3GJockey wrote:

2.3.6 patches this bug.

This bug did have an identified workaround in UCKH7 that worked fine.  It involved setting the security timeout to "immediate" or something like that.

3GJockey wrote:

2.3.6 patches this bug.

This bug did have an identified workaround in UCKH7 that worked fine.  It involved setting the security timeout to "immediate" or something like that.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

90 of 132 (6,280 Views)