Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 2.3.6 OTA update now live

Master

Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 2.3.6 OTA update now live

The original GS2 just got 2.3.6 OTA update. It is a 20MB download. Have fun.

Message 1 of 132 (34,867 Views)
Teacher

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 2.3.6 OTA update now live

[ Edited ]

There are two ways to return to 2.3.4 and get back to decent battery life:

Call (800) 801-1101 and go through the hassle of getting a warranty exchange for your phone. I just did this, but it took me about 2 hours on the phone over two different days to get it approved. But I've got 2 i777's that both experienced drastically decreased battery life after updating to 2.3.6. (I hope that the phones they send have not been updated to 2.3.6 yet.)

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Simply doing a factory reset will NOT return your phone to 2.3.4 after updating to 2.3.6.

If you have the time, do the first method, because this will force AT&T and Samsung to take notice and do something about this sooner.

Message 61 of 132 (6,791 Views)
Master

Keep in mind warranty exchange typically gives you a refurbished phone. And there is no guarantee the refurbs you get won't have 2.3.6 loaded already (typically happens after 1 or 2 months of the update availability).

Message 62 of 132 (6,778 Views)
Teacher

My second way to revert back to 2.3.6 was edited out by the moderator. It was similar to:

http://galaxys2root.com/att-galaxy-s2/how-to-unroot-att-galaxy-s2-sgh-i777/

(which the moderator has allowed to remain in message #53 and #55 of this thread).

Message 63 of 132 (6,754 Views)
Tutor

I just wanted to restate the instructions Beef posted.

How to Downgrade 2.3.6 to 2.3.4

Follow the instructions here: http://galaxys2root.com/att-galaxy-s2/how-to-unroot-att-galaxy-s2-sgh-i777/

Don't follow step 8 and beyond unless you have to.  All your settings will be completely saved and you will be back on your old phone like before without the bad battery life.  Your phone does NOT have to be rooted to follow these instructions.

Message 64 of 132 (6,741 Views)
Contributor

ironj221 wrote:

I just wanted to restate the instructions Beef posted.

How to Downgrade 2.3.6 to 2.3.4

Follow the instructions here: http://galaxys2root.com/att-galaxy-s2/how-to-unroot-att-galaxy-s2-sgh-i777/

Don't follow step 8 and beyond unless you have to.  All your settings will be completely saved and you will be back on your old phone like before without the bad battery life.  Your phone does NOT have to be rooted to follow these instructions.

Absolutely correct. You do not have to go to step 8 unless your phone has any issues beyond that. Mine couldn't connect to wifi and I did have to go to step 8. But this will bring your phone completely back to the way it was the day you got it. I've done this to mine and my fathers and we couldn't be more happy.

So hey AT&T, you should release an anti-update, or just release ICS already.

Message 65 of 132 (6,738 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Anyone get Vlingo with the double tap home key working? I've gone through all the settings over a dozen times. I changed the engine from google back to vlingo and tweaked the settings to where I like them, but still the only way now to get to voice command is by going into applications then "voice command". It was so much more convenient when driving to just double tap home and have it ready. Or does anyone know of any other way to open it aside from setting a home screen shortcut? I thought saying "Hello Galaxy" was supposed to open it so I've been talking to my phone for the last 5 minutes hah.

Thanks in advance.

Message 66 of 132 (6,709 Views)
Teacher

The double-tap home key was removed in 2.3.6, to fix the home button lag.

There is probably a way to set up Tasker to replace this feature.

Also, the Android Market version of Vlingo is apparently superior to both VoiceTalk and VoiceCommand (both are versions of Vlingo) that come on our phone, so you might want to get that free app.

Message 67 of 132 (6,676 Views)
Teacher

Just got off att chat. Got switched to warranty chat...took awhile, but they are sending new battery. They said they've never heard of battery issues after the upgrade and are not aware of any other updates coming at this time.

For those reverting back to 2.3.4........has your battery life gone back to the way it was, or is it still as poor as at 2.3.6?

If still poor, this would confirm the "defective after upgrade". If not.. then.....hurry up with ICS.

Message 68 of 132 (6,482 Views)
Contributor

I followed the steps from the link in post #63 and my battery life is significantly improved.  I have spoken to reps at the AT&T store and spoken to warranty support twice.  They all give the same story that this is the first they have heard of it.  Very convenient that nobody at AT&T seems to have heard of an issue that many people are calling in about.  I recommend to any user that is on 2.3.4 to not go through with the update, and any user that has already updated, to immediately roll back to the previous version using the link above.

Message 69 of 132 (6,472 Views)
Teacher

jbomx363 wrote:

Just got off att chat. Got switched to warranty chat...took awhile, but they are sending new battery. They said they've never heard of battery issues after the upgrade and are not aware of any other updates coming at this time.

They said the same thing to me. But after telling them that I have other batteries, and the issue is not with the battery, and the fact that we have two of these phones and both experienced the exact same problem only after updating, they are sending the replacements.

After you get the battery and try it out for a couple of charge cyles, call them back and make them send you a replacement phone.

I know that I could easily flash back to 2.3.4 as outlined above, but by going through the replacement, I'm trying to make this an issue that AT&T has to deal with.

Message 70 of 132 (6,460 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

I'm not going to turn in my NEW phone for a refurb. If the new batteries don't do diddly, I'll still survive. I'm using app killer that helps me get a full day in.
Message 71 of 132 (6,596 Views)
Contributor

You might be one of the people not getting the bug, but other people definitely are getting the bug so AT&T needs to address this with another update or by pulling the update and making all the phones that updated revert to 2.3.4

I will be continuing to bump this thread because this kind of service in unacceptable when we pay so much.

Message 72 of 132 (6,496 Views)
Teacher

If you just take the free battery, and then don't let AT&T know that this did not fix the problem, they'll think that the problem was the battery, and they'll not think that there are serious problems with this update. You'll be waiting for months for ICS, and you'll need that battery often until then. (You probably should purchase an external charger so that you can charge it quickly. You won't be able to keep both batteries charged with just your phone!)

My phone isn't new any more. And every refurbished phone that I've gotten from AT&T over the years (probably around 7 refurb phones) has ALWAYS been brand new. So, replacing my used phone with a new one is fine with me, and it is exactly what will bring this problem to the attention of AT&T.

Message 73 of 132 (6,456 Views)

I have been home for the holiday period so I have had my Wifi turned on this whole time.  Yesterday I turned off the WiFi and now have a totally different battery use to report.   With WiFi off and very little use of the phone my battery is now at 80% after 24 hours with Android 2.3.6

Message 74 of 132 (6,416 Views)
Contributor

I may have found a possible fix?

My phone has just decided to have normal (and somewhat improved) battery life now after about a week with the battery issue.

The only thing that I can see that I did was to fully charge the phone and then let it discharge completely until it shuts off. I then left it shut off for about half an hour or so. After I turned it back on, the battery life was better than what I was getting before and all the issues I was having disappeared. I've gone 26 hours with normal use and the battery is now at 33% (with 2.3.4, it would be very close to dead at this point).

I'm not sure if that's the actual fix, or if I did something else, but either way, the issue is gone for me now. That's the only thing that I did that I think could have made a difference.

The phone isn't rooted or anything, in case anyone was wondering.

Message 75 of 132 (6,383 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.