Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 2.3.6 OTA update now live

Master

Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 2.3.6 OTA update now live

The original GS2 just got 2.3.6 OTA update. It is a 20MB download. Have fun.

Message 1 of 132 (34,884 Views)
Master

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 2.3.6 OTA update now live

Becau I used to be able to download but now it sa I am up to date. I'm still 2.3.4.
Message 16 of 132 (20,523 Views)
Scholar

I just got the update via automatic notification on 12/19/11 @ 09:00.... After scouring the phone for a big I'm not finding any difference apart from the blue fade bounce replacement
Message 17 of 132 (20,455 Views)
Contributor

Just did the update, worked fine.  I am rooted, but completely stock except for being rooted.  Just wanted to freeze apps and remove bloatware.  Still have not noticed anything major. expect a color at bottom of screen when you hit the bottom of a scorllable app. or in settings.  Atleast i think it's new. Anyone with details of update please share.

Message 18 of 132 (20,399 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

Did you get wi-fi back? I lost wi-fi when I rooted mine.

Message 19 of 132 (20,246 Views)
Contributor

Well, I attempted the download and can't say it was fun. The download was successful, but upon reboot it merely hung on the screen 'SOFTWARE UPDATE Loading'.

I was routed through the tech services group no less than three times and spun off to Samsung twice. The upshot is that the phone is unusable and I was invited to drive to Dallas to have the service center look at it. So, a phone that is barely 2 months old was trashed.

I think the worst part of the experience was going through the support  --- over and over again. Answering the same questions over and over again. Pulling the battery, hard reset, verify IMEI, pull the battery.... disconnected or redirected. 

It has been quite a while since I have had as frustrating an experience as I have had today. And it isn't over yet if I want any chance to get a working phone.

Message 20 of 132 (20,134 Views)

I've never used wifi, and am not really sure what it is. I turned it on to do the update, and it couldn't connect.
what doing need to do?
Message 21 of 132 (23,141 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

I think I'm going to make you very happy.  My girlfriend's phone had the same problem and I just figured out how to fix it.

How to fix the Samsung Galaxy S2 sgh-i777 Stuck on Software Update Loading Screen

1. Turn off the phone by holding the power button untill off

2. Hold the Power Button and Volume Up AND Down buttons until the recovery screen pops up

3. Press volume down to select the Clear Cache Partition selection and then press the power button to select

4. Reboot the device

Congratulations, your phone should now be back to normal Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 132 (22,944 Views)
Contributor

Ironj221 - 

Dude, you ROCK.  I had the same issues with At&t "tech" support.  They don't have a clue.  Thank God for message boards!Robot tongue

Message 23 of 132 (22,841 Views)
Contributor

Didn't experience any problems at all. Not really sure what the difference was between me and others.
Message 24 of 132 (22,783 Views)
Master

Since Samsung already announced that GS2 (not the Skyrocket) will receive ICS in Q1 2012, I'm pretty sure we will either see a leaked i777 ICS firmware or actual release in Q1 2012. I'd skip this firmware unless you need the bug fixes badly, e.g. AP mobile data bug.

Message 25 of 132 (22,773 Views)
Contributor

I tried this download.  Not completely sure if I was on wi-fi or not.  The system got stuck on "Software Update - Loading" for several hours.  Now I can not get that screen off and no buttons respond.  Tried to leave the battery out for an hour and still when I turn it back on that same screen comes up.  Any one have any experience with this?

I don't know if the update is this specific one, but it just asked me to do this over the past 2 days. 

Message 26 of 132 (22,762 Views)
Contributor

Can the service center fix it for free?  This same thing just happend to my phone last night. Spent an hour on the phone with AT&T and got no where. 

Message 27 of 132 (22,758 Views)
Master

Use the instructions posted by ironj221 above. Service center will not try to fix it for you. They simply swap your phone with another refurbished phone. Yes, it is covered by warranty.

tvepraskas wrote:

Can the service center fix it for free?  This same thing just happend to my phone last night. Spent an hour on the phone with AT&T and got no where. 

Message 28 of 132 (22,744 Views)
Scholar

Why would you recommend skipping this firmware update? Just curious what the downside can be.
Message 29 of 132 (22,658 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

bmgoodman wrote:
Why would you recommend skipping this firmware update? Just curious what the downside can be.

1. The update could fail and you risk brick you phone as two examples above. With Samsung, this risk is pretty high. There never has been any firmware update released by Samsung that doesn't brick a few phones.

2. There are reports of some voice calling issues and wi-fi issues.

ICS is the update to have. 2.3.6 is just a minor update and soem bug fixes you may or maynot even notice.

Message 30 of 132 (22,658 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.