Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 15, 2011
7:45:06 PM
Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 2.3.6 OTA update now live

The original GS2 just got 2.3.6 OTA update. It is a 20MB download. Have fun.

The original GS2 just got 2.3.6 OTA update. It is a 20MB download. Have fun.

Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 2.3.6 OTA update now live

131 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(131)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 15, 2011 8:59:24 PM
(0)
Teacher

My update keeps failing during installation :C

My update keeps failing during installation :C

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 2.3.6 OTA update now live

2 of 132 (32,648 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 15, 2011 11:25:19 PM
(0)
Mentor

same exact problem

same exact problem

3 of 132 (32,584 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2011 3:30:48 AM
(0)
Scholar

Anyone know whats in this update??  I haven't tried to get it yet..

Anyone know whats in this update??  I haven't tried to get it yet..

4 of 132 (32,546 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2011 6:05:38 AM
(0)
Master

Mainly bug fixes. Android OS is updated from 2.3.4 to 2.3.6.

If you rooted your phone and removed some bloatware, the OTA update likely will fail but will not brick your phone (like Captivate OTA did).

Mainly bug fixes. Android OS is updated from 2.3.4 to 2.3.6.

If you rooted your phone and removed some bloatware, the OTA update likely will fail but will not brick your phone (like Captivate OTA did).

5 of 132 (32,493 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2011 8:01:19 AM
(0)
Contributor

I checked for update and it said my phone is up to date.  Still completely stock 2.3.4.  Are they rolling this out to different regions at different times?

I checked for update and it said my phone is up to date.  Still completely stock 2.3.4.  Are they rolling this out to different regions at different times?

6 of 132 (32,334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2011 8:41:33 AM
(0)
Master

OTA updates are always roll out in stages. It's just your luck when you are eligible for update.

OTA updates are always roll out in stages. It's just your luck when you are eligible for update.

7 of 132 (32,280 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2011 8:43:16 AM
(0)
Tutor

Great, but I think I'm gonna wait and see how it goes with a few of you first.  I'm one of those who had my Captivate bricked by the OTA update last year!

Great, but I think I'm gonna wait and see how it goes with a few of you first.  I'm one of those who had my Captivate bricked by the OTA update last year!

8 of 132 (32,277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2011 8:53:05 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Dec 16, 2011 at 9:16:33 AM

I've tried and update failed because I rooted to remove some bloatware. But unlike Captivate, the update failed gracefully. So far for those with full stock ROM, I have yet to see any bad luck.

But your caution is well warranted, the recent Galaxy Tab 10.1 update bricked quite a few tabs (even fully stock ones).

I've tried and update failed because I rooted to remove some bloatware. But unlike Captivate, the update failed gracefully. So far for those with full stock ROM, I have yet to see any bad luck.

But your caution is well warranted, the recent Galaxy Tab 10.1 update bricked quite a few tabs (even fully stock ones).

[ Edited ]
9 of 132 (32,263 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2011 1:32:09 PM
(0)
Teacher

I got the update to work by reflashing the stock UCKH7 firmware to restore bloatware (yeah, I removed it).  After doing that, the update went through just fine.

The problem is that the update gives me a MAJOR phone call isue.  Everyone says that I sound like I am "swimming" and randomly "dunking me head under water."  I called several people from different places and they all say they hear the same issue.  Now, I am gonna be honest and say that over the past few months, I have been flashing leaked ATT updates to my phone and ALL of them EXCEPT the stock UCKH7 have given me this annoying problem!!!!!

Should I contact ATT or something? And if so, then how do I do it without them giving me some B S answer like "Try performing a factory reset...." etc etc.  I KNOW that the issue is the modem because I just flashed the UCKH7 modem (keeping the UCKK6 kernel) and now the problem has gone away! What I cant figure out though is why only SOME people (other forums), besides myself, are having the same problems as me.

I got the update to work by reflashing the stock UCKH7 firmware to restore bloatware (yeah, I removed it).  After doing that, the update went through just fine.

The problem is that the update gives me a MAJOR phone call isue.  Everyone says that I sound like I am "swimming" and randomly "dunking me head under water."  I called several people from different places and they all say they hear the same issue.  Now, I am gonna be honest and say that over the past few months, I have been flashing leaked ATT updates to my phone and ALL of them EXCEPT the stock UCKH7 have given me this annoying problem!!!!!

Should I contact ATT or something? And if so, then how do I do it without them giving me some B S answer like "Try performing a factory reset...." etc etc.  I KNOW that the issue is the modem because I just flashed the UCKH7 modem (keeping the UCKK6 kernel) and now the problem has gone away! What I cant figure out though is why only SOME people (other forums), besides myself, are having the same problems as me.

10 of 132 (32,000 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2011 3:59:11 PM
(0)
Contributor

I got mine (2.3.6 OTA) today. About 25 MB file, it was done in about 10 minutes. But the first thing I've noticed was that the spring scroll was removed. I'm greatly disappointed about it. I love spring scroll. It maybe because of the dispute between Apple and Samsung. But I want the previous version (with spring scroll-and-bounce). Anybody can help? Smiley Sad

I got mine (2.3.6 OTA) today. About 25 MB file, it was done in about 10 minutes. But the first thing I've noticed was that the spring scroll was removed. I'm greatly disappointed about it. I love spring scroll. It maybe because of the dispute between Apple and Samsung. But I want the previous version (with spring scroll-and-bounce). Anybody can help? Smiley Sad

11 of 132 (20,758 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2011 5:39:53 PM
(0)
Master
You will have to flash back KH7 ROM and wipe everything clean. It's not an easy task and may brick your phone.
You will have to flash back KH7 ROM and wipe everything clean. It's not an easy task and may brick your phone.

12 of 132 (20,711 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2011 8:45:17 AM
(0)
Contributor

My phone downloaded the update.  Now the battery will not last more that one day, and Bluetooth does not will not connect to head set.  Nice update.  Takes a good phone and mucks it up.  Any advice on how to get this fixed?

My phone downloaded the update.  Now the battery will not last more that one day, and Bluetooth does not will not connect to head set.  Nice update.  Takes a good phone and mucks it up.  Any advice on how to get this fixed?

13 of 132 (20,235 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2011 10:14:22 AM
(0)
Master

It appears AT&T has pulled the update.

It appears AT&T has pulled the update.

14 of 132 (20,218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2011 8:41:58 PM
(0)
Contributor

What makes you say that?

What makes you say that?

15 of 132 (20,056 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2011 5:10:13 AM
(0)
Master
Becau I used to be able to download but now it sa I am up to date. I'm still 2.3.4.
Becau I used to be able to download but now it sa I am up to date. I'm still 2.3.4.

16 of 132 (19,986 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2011 7:56:17 AM
(0)
Scholar
I just got the update via automatic notification on 12/19/11 @ 09:00.... After scouring the phone for a big I'm not finding any difference apart from the blue fade bounce replacement
I just got the update via automatic notification on 12/19/11 @ 09:00.... After scouring the phone for a big I'm not finding any difference apart from the blue fade bounce replacement

17 of 132 (19,918 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2011 8:51:10 AM
(0)
Contributor

Just did the update, worked fine.  I am rooted, but completely stock except for being rooted.  Just wanted to freeze apps and remove bloatware.  Still have not noticed anything major. expect a color at bottom of screen when you hit the bottom of a scorllable app. or in settings.  Atleast i think it's new. Anyone with details of update please share.

Just did the update, worked fine.  I am rooted, but completely stock except for being rooted.  Just wanted to freeze apps and remove bloatware.  Still have not noticed anything major. expect a color at bottom of screen when you hit the bottom of a scorllable app. or in settings.  Atleast i think it's new. Anyone with details of update please share.

18 of 132 (19,862 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2011 11:38:37 AM
(0)
Contributor

Did you get wi-fi back? I lost wi-fi when I rooted mine.

Did you get wi-fi back? I lost wi-fi when I rooted mine.

19 of 132 (19,709 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2011 2:29:47 PM
(0)
Contributor

Well, I attempted the download and can't say it was fun. The download was successful, but upon reboot it merely hung on the screen 'SOFTWARE UPDATE Loading'.

I was routed through the tech services group no less than three times and spun off to Samsung twice. The upshot is that the phone is unusable and I was invited to drive to Dallas to have the service center look at it. So, a phone that is barely 2 months old was trashed.

I think the worst part of the experience was going through the support  --- over and over again. Answering the same questions over and over again. Pulling the battery, hard reset, verify IMEI, pull the battery.... disconnected or redirected. 

It has been quite a while since I have had as frustrating an experience as I have had today. And it isn't over yet if I want any chance to get a working phone.

Well, I attempted the download and can't say it was fun. The download was successful, but upon reboot it merely hung on the screen 'SOFTWARE UPDATE Loading'.

I was routed through the tech services group no less than three times and spun off to Samsung twice. The upshot is that the phone is unusable and I was invited to drive to Dallas to have the service center look at it. So, a phone that is barely 2 months old was trashed.

I think the worst part of the experience was going through the support  --- over and over again. Answering the same questions over and over again. Pulling the battery, hard reset, verify IMEI, pull the battery.... disconnected or redirected. 

It has been quite a while since I have had as frustrating an experience as I have had today. And it isn't over yet if I want any chance to get a working phone.

20 of 132 (19,597 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2011 3:12:36 PM
(0)
Mentor
I've never used wifi, and am not really sure what it is. I turned it on to do the update, and it couldn't connect.
what doing need to do?
I've never used wifi, and am not really sure what it is. I turned it on to do the update, and it couldn't connect.
what doing need to do?

21 of 132 (22,604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2011 10:44:07 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by ironj221 on Dec 19, 2011 at 10:46:15 PM

I think I'm going to make you very happy.  My girlfriend's phone had the same problem and I just figured out how to fix it.

How to fix the Samsung Galaxy S2 sgh-i777 Stuck on Software Update Loading Screen

1. Turn off the phone by holding the power button untill off

2. Hold the Power Button and Volume Up AND Down buttons until the recovery screen pops up

3. Press volume down to select the Clear Cache Partition selection and then press the power button to select

4. Reboot the device

Congratulations, your phone should now be back to normal Smiley Happy

I think I'm going to make you very happy.  My girlfriend's phone had the same problem and I just figured out how to fix it.

How to fix the Samsung Galaxy S2 sgh-i777 Stuck on Software Update Loading Screen

1. Turn off the phone by holding the power button untill off

2. Hold the Power Button and Volume Up AND Down buttons until the recovery screen pops up

3. Press volume down to select the Clear Cache Partition selection and then press the power button to select

4. Reboot the device

Congratulations, your phone should now be back to normal Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
22 of 132 (22,407 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2011 5:44:44 AM
(0)
Contributor

Ironj221 - 

Dude, you ROCK.  I had the same issues with At&t "tech" support.  They don't have a clue.  Thank God for message boards!Robot tongue

Ironj221 - 

Dude, you ROCK.  I had the same issues with At&t "tech" support.  They don't have a clue.  Thank God for message boards!Robot tongue

23 of 132 (22,304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2011 7:49:52 AM
(0)
Contributor
Didn't experience any problems at all. Not really sure what the difference was between me and others.
Didn't experience any problems at all. Not really sure what the difference was between me and others.

24 of 132 (22,246 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2011 8:01:16 AM
(0)
Master

Since Samsung already announced that GS2 (not the Skyrocket) will receive ICS in Q1 2012, I'm pretty sure we will either see a leaked i777 ICS firmware or actual release in Q1 2012. I'd skip this firmware unless you need the bug fixes badly, e.g. AP mobile data bug.

Since Samsung already announced that GS2 (not the Skyrocket) will receive ICS in Q1 2012, I'm pretty sure we will either see a leaked i777 ICS firmware or actual release in Q1 2012. I'd skip this firmware unless you need the bug fixes badly, e.g. AP mobile data bug.

25 of 132 (22,236 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2011 8:24:06 AM
(0)
Contributor

I tried this download.  Not completely sure if I was on wi-fi or not.  The system got stuck on "Software Update - Loading" for several hours.  Now I can not get that screen off and no buttons respond.  Tried to leave the battery out for an hour and still when I turn it back on that same screen comes up.  Any one have any experience with this?

I don't know if the update is this specific one, but it just asked me to do this over the past 2 days. 

I tried this download.  Not completely sure if I was on wi-fi or not.  The system got stuck on "Software Update - Loading" for several hours.  Now I can not get that screen off and no buttons respond.  Tried to leave the battery out for an hour and still when I turn it back on that same screen comes up.  Any one have any experience with this?

I don't know if the update is this specific one, but it just asked me to do this over the past 2 days. 

26 of 132 (22,225 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2011 8:32:15 AM
(0)
Contributor

Can the service center fix it for free?  This same thing just happend to my phone last night. Spent an hour on the phone with AT&T and got no where. 

Can the service center fix it for free?  This same thing just happend to my phone last night. Spent an hour on the phone with AT&T and got no where. 

27 of 132 (22,221 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2011 9:02:58 AM
(0)
Master

Use the instructions posted by ironj221 above. Service center will not try to fix it for you. They simply swap your phone with another refurbished phone. Yes, it is covered by warranty.

tvepraskas wrote:

Use the instructions posted by ironj221 above. Service center will not try to fix it for you. They simply swap your phone with another refurbished phone. Yes, it is covered by warranty.

tvepraskas wrote:

28 of 132 (22,207 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2011 12:08:30 PM
(0)
Scholar
Why would you recommend skipping this firmware update? Just curious what the downside can be.
Why would you recommend skipping this firmware update? Just curious what the downside can be.

29 of 132 (22,121 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2011 12:16:41 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Dec 20, 2011 at 12:18:23 PM

bmgoodman wrote:

1. The update could fail and you risk brick you phone as two examples above. With Samsung, this risk is pretty high. There never has been any firmware update released by Samsung that doesn't brick a few phones.

2. There are reports of some voice calling issues and wi-fi issues.

ICS is the update to have. 2.3.6 is just a minor update and soem bug fixes you may or maynot even notice.

bmgoodman wrote:

1. The update could fail and you risk brick you phone as two examples above. With Samsung, this risk is pretty high. There never has been any firmware update released by Samsung that doesn't brick a few phones.

2. There are reports of some voice calling issues and wi-fi issues.

ICS is the update to have. 2.3.6 is just a minor update and soem bug fixes you may or maynot even notice.

[ Edited ]
30 of 132 (22,121 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments