Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 12, 2011
2:33:01 PM
View profile
Samsung Galaxy S2 AP Mobile app issue!!

Just wanted to bring it to the attention of everyone. I purchased the Galaxy S2 last week and I noticed through an app called My Data Manager that the app AP Mobile was constantly using data. I didn't have a widget and i set the refresh to none, yet it still chewed through data. It was using about 3MB per hour!! I tried everything I could think of to get rid of the app without rooting and voiding the warranty. Nothing worked.

So i wanted to let everyone else know that it's not an isolated issue. I posted this over at AndroidCentral.com and a lot of people are experiencing the same issues. I took the phone back and the rep told me it was an Android issue, which i told her was impossible because the same phone is available on other carriers and it doesn't have the same problem. I told her its not a native Android app. She then tells me that it's not an ATT problem, but a Samsung issue. 

So all in all, if you have 2GB of data, watch your usage carefully if you have this smartphone.

Just wanted to bring it to the attention of everyone. I purchased the Galaxy S2 last week and I noticed through an app called My Data Manager that the app AP Mobile was constantly using data. I didn't have a widget and i set the refresh to none, yet it still chewed through data. It was using about 3MB per hour!! I tried everything I could think of to get rid of the app without rooting and voiding the warranty. Nothing worked.

So i wanted to let everyone else know that it's not an isolated issue. I posted this over at AndroidCentral.com and a lot of people are experiencing the same issues. I took the phone back and the rep told me it was an Android issue, which i told her was impossible because the same phone is available on other carriers and it doesn't have the same problem. I told her its not a native Android app. She then tells me that it's not an ATT problem, but a Samsung issue. 

So all in all, if you have 2GB of data, watch your usage carefully if you have this smartphone.

Samsung Galaxy S2 AP Mobile app issue!!

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 3:54:46 PM
(0)
Professor

mikeychalupa wrote:

You  are correct mikeychalupa (name makes me hungry) Smiley Happy

I had some bloat on one of my android devices taht kept firing off too.  it was utiliing data (i have unlimited) but still, when you dont use the app or have to watch usage, its seems like a double whammy when a carrier installs bloat that eats data causing you to run through your allotment quicker or end up paying overages.

Illl take a look at www.androidcentral.com and see what the buzz is there about this issue.

Thanks for the fyi!

..eatn away at data...

mikeychalupa wrote:

You  are correct mikeychalupa (name makes me hungry) Smiley Happy

I had some bloat on one of my android devices taht kept firing off too.  it was utiliing data (i have unlimited) but still, when you dont use the app or have to watch usage, its seems like a double whammy when a carrier installs bloat that eats data causing you to run through your allotment quicker or end up paying overages.

Illl take a look at www.androidcentral.com and see what the buzz is there about this issue.

Thanks for the fyi!

..eatn away at data...

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 AP Mobile app issue!!

2 of 6 (2,992 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 10:46:19 AM
(0)
Mentor

Exactly the same issue here and i don't even have the widget enabled.  Cannot force stop (auto restart) and cannot uninstall since it is a preinstalled default app.  It is burning through my data plan.

Exactly the same issue here and i don't even have the widget enabled.  Cannot force stop (auto restart) and cannot uninstall since it is a preinstalled default app.  It is burning through my data plan.

3 of 6 (2,814 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 12:33:16 PM
(0)
Guru

Yup.  It's sad that AT&T has ruined an otherwise excellent device with their bloatware.

It is frustrating that the only way to get a properly operating device is to void the warranty.

Yup.  It's sad that AT&T has ruined an otherwise excellent device with their bloatware.

It is frustrating that the only way to get a properly operating device is to void the warranty.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

4 of 6 (2,806 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2011 8:28:15 PM
(0)
Guru

Look for an app on the market called LBE privacy guard.  That app has a selectivity feature that can block apps from phoning

home.  It might not be available though on a locked phone.  I have an unlocked streak and it sure cuts down the phoning home problem.

Look for an app on the market called LBE privacy guard.  That app has a selectivity feature that can block apps from phoning

home.  It might not be available though on a locked phone.  I have an unlocked streak and it sure cuts down the phoning home problem.

5 of 6 (2,739 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2011 9:29:23 PM
(0)
Mentor

thank you for the suggestion, i think they might work however it does require root.  If i were to root i would have just uninstall/freeze the problematic app =)

thank you for the suggestion, i think they might work however it does require root.  If i were to root i would have just uninstall/freeze the problematic app =)

6 of 6 (2,737 Views)