Samsung Galaxy S II - arrival date?

Samsung Galaxy S II - arrival date?

Please excuse my ignorance, I just read that is has arrived, but I know of course that doesn't really mean that the stores have it yet and I was curious if anyone know.

Additionally; I currently have a Nexus One (Unlocked) and  the two features that I do not want to loose are the tethering ability and the Wifi Hot Spot.

The AT&T rep that I talked to said that I would have to get an unlocked version to keep those features, is that true?  I only ask as I do use the HotSpot from time to time, but again I don't want to get a new phone only to loose a couple of features.

thanks

Message 1 of 12
Master

Re: Samsung Galaxy S II - arrival date?

September 18, 2011 is the rumored date.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Samsung/Galaxy-s2/m-p/2846363#M90589

I'm not quite familiar with the tethering/Wi-Fi hot spot features on the Galaxy S II. I'm sorry.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 12
Master

The tethering feature will be available (as they already did in existing phones like Captivate) but you certainly will be forced to pay for the tethering plan. The Andorid's build-in tethering/wi-fi hot spot feature will check for your account before let you do the tethering. There is no separate app required.

Of course, there are ways to get around that if you rooted your phone but this is not the forum for discussing that.

Message 3 of 12

or.. I assume getting an Unlocked version as well?

Message 4 of 12
Master

If you need the unlocked version of the Galaxy SII, I would suggest purchasing the original European version. I believe that it has the proper 3G bands for AT&T.

I would suspect that the AT&T version will be locked to AT&T and getting the unlocked code is going to difficult.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 12
Master

Any carrier versions of SGS2 will have this carrier specific check for tethering, locked or unlocked.

You can buy the gray market version of SGS2 for about $600 but you won't get any warranty from Samsung USA. If it breaks, you're on your own. And with the failure rate of Samsung phones, I personally won't go that route,

Message 6 of 12

Ann154 wrote:
If you need the unlocked version of the Galaxy SII, I would suggest purchasing the original European version. I believe that it has the proper 3G bands for AT&T.

I would suspect that the AT&T version will be locked to AT&T and getting the unlocked code is going to difficult.

Getting the unlock codes from rooted GalaxyS series devices is actually fairly easy...

Message 7 of 12

So, obaining the 'sim' unlock codes will open up the wifi hot spot and tethering options as it will not be carrier locked?

Message 8 of 12
Expert

gamerscircle wrote:

So, obaining the 'sim' unlock codes will open up the wifi hot spot and tethering options as it will not be carrier locked?

Suspect that the unit will be carrier locked - even if not, wifi hotspot and tethering if avaialble for thee unit locked or unlocked will require the proper data plan to be added to the service.

Message 9 of 12

I currently have a data plan, just trying to keep the couple of features that I use from time to time is all.

Message 10 of 12
Master

gamerscircle wrote:

No, sim unlock code has nothing to do with unlocking tethering feature. You can typically get the SIM unlock code from AT&T for free 10-month or so after release date.

There is no official way to avoid tethering plan requirement to use wi-fi hot spot feature. Period. Please read your service agreement.

This is not a forum to discuss unofficial hacks which opens other possibilities.

Message 11 of 12
Highlighted
Scholar

well technically there is a way to get around that tethering feature, but it does risk a breach of warranty. hehe
______

“I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.”
Message 12 of 12
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support