Samsung Galaxy S II LTE Skyrocket No-Commitment Buy Question.

Contributor

Samsung Galaxy S II LTE Skyrocket No-Commitment Buy Question.

Hi. I tried to buy Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket from AT&T store. I bought the device, along with the call&texting and data plan. With this phone I have, calling and texting work great. However, the 3G data does not work even though I paid for it. I asked AT&T why 3G does not work. They say probably because the phone is 4G enabled and it's LOCKED(?), but they weren't sure. Did anybody have a chance to buy Skyrocket phone without contract and dealt with enabling 3G on the phone?
Thanks in advance!
Alex

Message 1 of 10 (1,785 Views)
Professor

Re: Samsung Galaxy S II LTE Skyrocket No-Commitment Buy Question.

I have the skyrocket and live in a non-LTE city, but it is an H+ city. Everything works fine for me.
Message 2 of 10 (1,720 Views)
Guru

It should be enabled out of the box. I would go back to the store and ask for a rep that has a clue about customer service.
Message 3 of 10 (1,716 Views)
Contributor

Message 4 of 10 (1,676 Views)
Contributor

Has anyone tried this? I am seeing very slow speeds in NYC.

Message 5 of 10 (1,514 Views)
Master

qkrzazzang wrote:

Hi. I tried to buy Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket from AT&T store. I bought the device, along with the call&texting and data plan. With this phone I have, calling and texting work great. However, the 3G data does not work even though I paid for it. I asked AT&T why 3G does not work. They say probably because the phone is 4G enabled and it's LOCKED(?), but they weren't sure. Did anybody have a chance to buy Skyrocket phone without contract and dealt with enabling 3G on the phone?
Thanks in advance!
Alex

The phone out of box uses ptr APN which requires your data plan to be provisioned to use LTE data. Without it, it won't work. Same goes for non-LTE 4G phones like the original Galaxy S2 which uses Phone APN and require a 4G data plan provision on your account. These are just account provisions, you aren't going to pay anything extra.

This account change is normally doen when you sign a new contract. When you buy without a contract, the sale person simply forget to change it. Call up AT&T support and tell them to provision your data plan for LTE.

The phone is still locked to AT&T but you should be able to ask AT&T to give you an unlock code as long as you show them the proof that you paid full pricce. Again, you just need to call AT&T support.

Message 6 of 10 (1,509 Views)
Scholar

I am starting to think no one at att is helpful at all or knowledgable about anything

Message 7 of 10 (1,491 Views)
Master

"No one" is an understatement in my eyes... There are certainly helpful employees and managers throughout the country, but it's in today's modern society that it's getting harder for people to give their full 110% at their job.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 8 of 10 (1,457 Views)

Going along with what foxbat said...You have to change to that 4g data plan. I got a 4g phone and they changed my data plan and issued me a new sim card and then the data was coming through.

As per the XDA forum some people are getting slower speeds with LTE right now.

Message 9 of 10 (1,433 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

very true

Message 10 of 10 (1,421 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.