Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 11, 2011
4:57:16 PM
Samsung Galaxy Nexus

I purchased a Samsung Nexus phone, it just came out. I purchased it in the U.K. It is GSM world phone and I guess I need to purchase a sim card from either AT&T or T-Mobile. What are the expenses associated with this? Also will I need to purchase a Data plan?

Thanks,

Phil

I purchased a Samsung Nexus phone, it just came out. I purchased it in the U.K. It is GSM world phone and I guess I need to purchase a sim card from either AT&T or T-Mobile. What are the expenses associated with this? Also will I need to purchase a Data plan?

Thanks,

Phil

Samsung Galaxy Nexus

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2011 5:57:50 PM
(0)
Master

You don't have to purchase SIM cards. You can use your existing SIM card or get one for free at AT&T stores. Whether or not if AT&T will require you to get a data plan depends on whether or not AT&T can automatically recognize your phone as smart phone.

You don't have to purchase SIM cards. You can use your existing SIM card or get one for free at AT&T stores. Whether or not if AT&T will require you to get a data plan depends on whether or not AT&T can automatically recognize your phone as smart phone.

Re: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

2 of 11 (5,485 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 12, 2011 7:32:29 PM
(0)
Scholar

actually without the imei number att can't detect your phone... that is why a lot of people get unlocked phones for that very reason... check out the data plan prices.........

actually without the imei number att can't detect your phone... that is why a lot of people get unlocked phones for that very reason... check out the data plan prices.........

3 of 11 (5,309 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 7:04:34 AM
(0)
Master

umcpgrad wrote:

More accurately, AT&T DOES know your phone's IMEI number the second you turn it on. But in order to identify whether or not your phone is smartphone, it needs to check with the known IMEI ranges in its database (which typically contains all the phones AT&T released). So, unlocked phones are not guaranteed. 

umcpgrad wrote:

More accurately, AT&T DOES know your phone's IMEI number the second you turn it on. But in order to identify whether or not your phone is smartphone, it needs to check with the known IMEI ranges in its database (which typically contains all the phones AT&T released). So, unlocked phones are not guaranteed. 

4 of 11 (5,259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 11:12:02 AM
(0)
Guru

As an example, I've heard that international Galaxy Note IMEIs are detected by AT&T, and they have been forcing tablet plans onto those users.

As an example, I've heard that international Galaxy Note IMEIs are detected by AT&T, and they have been forcing tablet plans onto those users.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

5 of 11 (5,223 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 5:34:52 PM
(0)
Tutor
What are the Tablet plans? Are they at a higher rate than smartphones?

6 of 11 (5,158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 5:38:12 PM
(0)
Master

poaatencio wrote:

No, they  cost the same as far as data plan goes but you are not allowed to have voice function on it.

poaatencio wrote:

No, they  cost the same as far as data plan goes but you are not allowed to have voice function on it.

7 of 11 (5,156 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 6:54:40 PM
(0)
Scholar

try to enjoy the "lower" data plans.... Smiley Wink

try to enjoy the "lower" data plans.... Smiley Wink

8 of 11 (5,143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 15, 2011 11:27:00 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yeah and they want to charge me $25 for the SimCard. NoWay I'll cut em up first...The rep sez: I can get into a phone data plan. We'll see. They are not going to mess with me. Ha! 

Yeah and they want to charge me $25 for the SimCard. NoWay I'll cut em up first...The rep sez: I can get into a phone data plan. We'll see. They are not going to mess with me. Ha! 

9 of 11 (4,715 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 15, 2011 5:36:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

Att has blown it by not offering the Galaxy Nexus. I have always hated Apple products and will never buy one, the  Galaxy Nexus and Android would be a good option for someone like me. There are millions of us.

Att has blown it by not offering the Galaxy Nexus. I have always hated Apple products and will never buy one, the  Galaxy Nexus and Android would be a good option for someone like me. There are millions of us.

10 of 11 (4,575 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 15, 2011 6:27:50 PM
(0)
Scholar

att is way too big to care about consumers

att is way too big to care about consumers

11 of 11 (3,008 Views)