Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Samsung Galaxy Nexus

I purchased a Samsung Nexus phone, it just came out. I purchased it in the U.K. It is GSM world phone and I guess I need to purchase a sim card from either AT&T or T-Mobile. What are the expenses associated with this? Also will I need to purchase a Data plan?

Thanks,

Phil

Message 1 of 11 (5,544 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Re: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

You don't have to purchase SIM cards. You can use your existing SIM card or get one for free at AT&T stores. Whether or not if AT&T will require you to get a data plan depends on whether or not AT&T can automatically recognize your phone as smart phone.

Message 2 of 11 (5,518 Views)
Scholar

actually without the imei number att can't detect your phone... that is why a lot of people get unlocked phones for that very reason... check out the data plan prices.........

Message 3 of 11 (5,342 Views)
Master

umcpgrad wrote:

actually without the imei number att can't detect your phone... that is why a lot of people get unlocked phones for that very reason... check out the data plan prices.........

More accurately, AT&T DOES know your phone's IMEI number the second you turn it on. But in order to identify whether or not your phone is smartphone, it needs to check with the known IMEI ranges in its database (which typically contains all the phones AT&T released). So, unlocked phones are not guaranteed. 

Message 4 of 11 (5,292 Views)

As an example, I've heard that international Galaxy Note IMEIs are detected by AT&T, and they have been forcing tablet plans onto those users.

Message 5 of 11 (5,256 Views)

What are the Tablet plans? Are they at a higher rate than smartphones?
Message 6 of 11 (5,191 Views)
Master

poaatencio wrote:
What are the Tablet plans? Are they at a higher rate than smartphones?

No, they  cost the same as far as data plan goes but you are not allowed to have voice function on it.

Message 7 of 11 (5,189 Views)
Scholar

try to enjoy the "lower" data plans.... Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 11 (5,176 Views)

Yeah and they want to charge me $25 for the SimCard. NoWay I'll cut em up first...The rep sez: I can get into a phone data plan. We'll see. They are not going to mess with me. Ha! 

Message 9 of 11 (4,748 Views)
Tutor

Att has blown it by not offering the Galaxy Nexus. I have always hated Apple products and will never buy one, the  Galaxy Nexus and Android would be a good option for someone like me. There are millions of us.

Message 10 of 11 (4,608 Views)
Scholar

att is way too big to care about consumers

Message 11 of 11 (3,041 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.