Samsung GS2 Facebook Issue

Highlighted

Samsung GS2 Facebook Issue

Hi everyone,

I seem to be having an issue I guess with the Facebook on the GS2.  I usually turn off all auto syncing, updating etc. as I want it to manually do it when I open something.

My problem is the factory app or widget that sits on one of the main screens (it should be default to the left of the main home) seems to grab the latest update from my friends on FB and post it for me to see.  This leads me to believe that it's using data that I don't want it to!!  I'm not sure the frequency it does it, but it seems whenever I check it, it has a status update from within the hour on someone.

I've gone through every possible menu in Android, and the settings for the FB app. itself and I still have no luck!  If I go to the FB app shortcut located in my apps. or touch the "F" on the widget I'm speaking of, it opens up FB and then I can see that Its not up to date and needs to be updated, which I manually do.  But for whatever reason, the widget shows an up to date status for someone, like I said, that's fairly recent.

Hope this makes sense to someone and they can help me out!

Brad

Message 1 of 3 (554 Views)

Re: Samsung GS2 Facebook Issue

Threepttilt wrote:

Hi everyone,

I seem to be having an issue I guess with the Facebook on the GS2.  I usually turn off all auto syncing, updating etc. as I want it to manually do it when I open something.

My problem is the factory app or widget that sits on one of the main screens (it should be default to the left of the main home) seems to grab the latest update from my friends on FB and post it for me to see.  This leads me to believe that it's using data that I don't want it to!!  I'm not sure the frequency it does it, but it seems whenever I check it, it has a status update from within the hour on someone.

I've gone through every possible menu in Android, and the settings for the FB app. itself and I still have no luck!  If I go to the FB app shortcut located in my apps. or touch the "F" on the widget I'm speaking of, it opens up FB and then I can see that Its not up to date and needs to be updated, which I manually do.  But for whatever reason, the widget shows an up to date status for someone, like I said, that's fairly recent.

Hope this makes sense to someone and they can help me out!

Brad

The Samsung homescreen widgets are independent of the Facebook app.  Instead of the Facebook app updating, a background service (Settings->Applications->Running Services - look for something like SNS Service) is updating those widgets.

I don't know how to configure the SNS service, as it's usually one of the first pieces of bloatware I rip out after rooting my device.  The SNS service is notorious for being a battery hog.

Message 2 of 3 (520 Views)

Re: Samsung GS2 Facebook Issue

Thanks!  So, do you think If I delete that widget, then it shouldn't be updating and using data then, right?  At least for the FB widget.  I don't have any other widgets etc. that seem to be updating stuff (that I can see).

Any recomendations on good links for rookies on rooting their phone?  I like the idea of getting rid of some of this useless stuff.  I litterally have no need for something to update stuff automatically without my control.  If I need email or FB etc., Ill go on and manually update it so Im in control of data usuage.

Thanks for any info!!!

Message 3 of 3 (486 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.