Samsung Focus

Professor

Samsung Focus

Any thoughts on att's initial WP7 offering set for Nov 8th, the Samsung Focus?  I am buying it but not because I love the phone, but to support the OS.  It will be an interim phone until hopefully a technology trend setting offering comes in 2011.  My Fuze simply cannot make it until a descent gen II device comes along.

Nothing trend setting about the specs.

Nice 4" AMOLED screen

OK 1 GHz processor

5 mp camera

4.07 Oz is very nice

8GB internal storage

Pitiful 6.5 hours of talk time (Lowest of the original offerings)

Message 1 of 122 (6,190 Views)
Professor

Re: Samsung Focus

wingrider01 wrote:

foxbat121 wrote:

The problem with Best Buy is that they don't necessary carry all launch phones at launch day (or launch week). So, if BB doesn't explicitly mention they will have Samsung Focus next week, you're probably not gonna see it there. To this day, BB still sells Captivate @ $240 compared AT&T's own list price of @200. Very weird.

BB here and online show the captivate for 149.00

The one I deal with say they will have both the surround and the focus. Maybe it just depends on if the store is a mobile speciality. I know that out of the three I frequent, 2 of them have a lot larger mobile section then the 3rd and have more phones available.

Like i said, I am still up in the air for personal use, to many issue with personal information and cloud based storage - but then I am pretty particualr with security of data - I have PGP Professional Desktop on my home machines. So it not being available on release date is not a big deal for me, been out of contract on my Iphone for about 4 months now so a few more days is not a big issue.

Just checked the BB next to my place.  The mobile phone manager there claims that they will only have the HTC Surround on Monday.  He does not know how many units.  He said that they may be surprised and get other WP7 models, but he said that their sales lit only mentions the Surround.

Oh and by the way, at BB, a 16GB microSDHC class 2 is selling for $99.  Can you believe that?  That much flash has a street retail of maybe $25 or $30.

Message 76 of 122 (1,323 Views)
Expert

Paolo01 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

foxbat121 wrote:

The problem with Best Buy is that they don't necessary carry all launch phones at launch day (or launch week). So, if BB doesn't explicitly mention they will have Samsung Focus next week, you're probably not gonna see it there. To this day, BB still sells Captivate @ $240 compared AT&T's own list price of @200. Very weird.

BB here and online show the captivate for 149.00

The one I deal with say they will have both the surround and the focus. Maybe it just depends on if the store is a mobile speciality. I know that out of the three I frequent, 2 of them have a lot larger mobile section then the 3rd and have more phones available.

Like i said, I am still up in the air for personal use, to many issue with personal information and cloud based storage - but then I am pretty particualr with security of data - I have PGP Professional Desktop on my home machines. So it not being available on release date is not a big deal for me, been out of contract on my Iphone for about 4 months now so a few more days is not a big issue.

Just checked the BB next to my place.  The mobile phone manager there claims that they will only have the HTC Surround on Monday.  He does not know how many units.  He said that they may be surprised and get other WP7 models, but he said that their sales lit only mentions the Surround.

Oh and by the way, at BB, a 16GB microSDHC class 2 is selling for $99.  Can you believe that?  That much flash has a street retail of maybe $25 or $30.

Picked up a class 4 32GB for 110.00 figure if I don;t get the focus I can always throw in th Nikon camera back. A class 4 shold be plenty fast for my usage, since xbox lve, all social networking and the such will be moved to the last page of the menu

Out of  curiousity I called 6 different BB's, 1 said they should have it, 2 said no and 3 had no idea what I was asking aboutSmiley Happy The HTC holds 0 interest for me, have no need for the slide up speakers and it looks like there is no slot.

Message 77 of 122 (1,291 Views)

Paolo01 wrote:

DREWSKY56 wrote:

I haven't seen it on preorder either. Im very interested in the Focus. I hope its not as bad as my old Ford focus.

That screen seems to look really good and rich colors.

I stopped by an att store near work today (not the one I will buy from on Monday) just to ask about WP7 pre order and see if they had one of these WP7 displays up some websites are talking about.  To caveat all of this, I have never before spoken to the rep I spoke to today and I have no idea how much he knows about anything or even if he is a tech type guy or simply selling phones.

Anyway, he said that there will be no WP7 pre-sales offered by att for any of the WP7's available on Monday.  On Monday, the phones will be available primarily from att corporate stores and from the att website.  If you order from the website, you will receive free delivery on Wednesday.  If you buy from the store, you can obviously walk out.  He said that att authorized retailers will not receive WP7 devices for a few more weeks.  He claimed no idea about which microsdhc cards would be sold through att.  He also said that peripherals are where the stores make their money so if he had to guess, there would be a markup on whatever microSDHC card or cards they sold.  He said that like all peripherals, the sales personnel have already been told to "up sell" the cards.  He claimed that there is a script which you will be told as the sales associate opens your box mentioning that the Focus has the ability to add memory to but that this must be done before the phone is FIRST turned on.  He claims that they have been told that if you provide your own card at that time they will insert it for you before powering the phone on.  He said as always, the associate will attempt to power the phone on in the store to ensure that it is receiving a signal and your account has picked up the new phone.  He says that if you insist on the phone not being turned on, they will recommend against that, but as always, they will allow the customer to leave the store with a phone that has not been seen as active on the system.  But they have to remove the battery cover to confirm that the IMEI on the phone, matches the IMEI on the box and that they enter it into the system to your account.

That is about it.  The only sales materiel they had in the store today was a small poster.  He knows the sales price only based on what he has been told $199 and the phone is still not in their sales system which would also show the non contract price if it were there.

Finally he claimed that the phones are supposed to arrive in the stores on Friday or Saturday but that managers are not allowed to open the cases until Monday morning.  He claimed he could be fired for opening a case early and it did not matter anyway, because until the phone is in the sales software, they cannot sell it or activate it.  He said that there was no indication at this point as to how many units of each phone, each store was to receive this week.  Only that larger stores would get more and that he was only expect about 10 max for sale on Monday but that he was hoping for significantly more just based on casual questions he had received from customers over the last month.

I asked him if the ten sales units included the employees or if they could snap up six of the ten and he said that was frowned upon and that the sales kit would include a demo model to be anchored onto the display whenever they receive theirs this week and hopefully an employee phone or two.  He said it is not unheard of, but very frowned upon for employees to buy up high demand phones. 

He said that this roll out is nowhere near as complex as the Iphone's where everything was scripted down to which employees would receive phones and which holsters they would wear them in while talking to customers.

My take away from all this.  I am not going to line up overnight, but I will get to my local store at 9:45 for their 10:00 opening.

I have no idea how reliable this guy is.  I suppose that he did not tell me anything I could not have guessed, but he seemed genuinely interested in the product.  Is he just one of those guys that talks because he does not like to 'not have an answer' when somebody asks a question, only time will tell.

Oh, finally for those of you who still have the legacy unlimited data plans, he said that they will hard sell you to go to the less expensive 'limited' data plan with your upgrade, but you will not be forced to if you say you want to keep your old plan.  He recommended that if you have an unlimited plan you ENSURE that the upgrade plan reflects the legacy plan on the computer before they complete the sale of your new phone.  Your old plan is still part of your account, but he said that sometimes when modifying parts of plans, your data plan will change automatically and will need to be manually entered back in.

Thank you for all that info! I apprecaite it Smiley Happy

Message 78 of 122 (1,284 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

The guys working the Cell Both at Sams Club not only claim that their shipment of Samsung Focus' will arrive the 5th or 6th, they also have a 3 page laminated sales PDF on the Focus from AT&T. On top of all that they claim that it will be a minimum of $10 cheaper than AT&T but expect it to be $169.99, however it will not be eligible for the Free game, 1 month Zune pass, 1 month U-Verse tv service. 

Message 79 of 122 (1,240 Views)
Teacher

Will they offer unlocked.....and do they have a webpage ? Smiley Happy

Message 80 of 122 (1,225 Views)
Expert

Strider_Aus wrote:

Will they offer unlocked.....and do they have a webpage ? Smiley Happy

If you are talking about sams club you have to be a member to walk through the door (40.00 a year I think), they are a franchise dealer for att so they follow the same policies that ATT put forth. The are a divsion of walmart

Message 81 of 122 (1,703 Views)
Tutor

i bought one today after using palm treo for past 3 years. i bought the palm as it ran on windows 6.0 and nicely synced outolook with activesync.

i wanted a phone that ran on windows with office apps, word, excel, pp.  I was baffled to learn there was no sync utility for outlook.  how can windows release a phone that has no sync function with outlook?  even apple iphone has this feature.

unless I can find a 3rd party app, i am returning it for the blackberry torch.  its a shame as i really like the phone's screen and navigation but i can't live without sync feature for my contacts and calendar. i guess i should have done more research before wasting time trying o figure out the sync feature after the salesman assured me the phone had the feature.

Message 82 of 122 (1,330 Views)
Teacher

llarose wrote:

i bought one today after using palm treo for past 3 years. i bought the palm as it ran on windows 6.0 and nicely synced outolook with activesync.

i wanted a phone that ran on windows with office apps, word, excel, pp.  I was baffled to learn there was no sync utility for outlook.  how can windows release a phone that has no sync function with outlook?  even apple iphone has this feature.

unless I can find a 3rd party app, i am returning it for the blackberry torch.  its a shame as i really like the phone's screen and navigation but i can't live without sync feature for my contacts and calendar. i guess i should have done more research before wasting time trying o figure out the sync feature after the salesman assured me the phone had the feature.

I can understand your frustration. Many of us have felt the same. But I think, if you give weightage to each feature that you find here, even if you give a weightage of 10 to Outlook sync, still the sum of weightage points of all other features made me to go for it.

As we all felt same as you on Outlook sync, we did find a way out. I suppose there are videos available on YouTube as well on how to  transfer your contacts and calendar to any of your hotmail / live accounts.

Actually after 4 days of its use, I find that I am not opening my Outlook not very frequently. I am not loosing any of my e-mail accounts.

Also there are videos on YouTube which compare iPhone and BlackBerry with Windows PHone 7.

Get convinced before you exhange your Windows Phone.

Message 83 of 122 (1,308 Views)
Scholar

You have to install the hotmail sync with outlook and that will come up with a hotmail box.  if you create a hotmail account you can import everything to there and it will sync.  there isn't anything for tasks but i think your contacts and calander will go.

if you want to use gmail there is a program that you can buy that will allow you to sync with gmail.

i only use web email anyway so this isn't a problem for me not that i would have anything downloading to the phone i just use the web browser to check.

Message 84 of 122 (1,288 Views)
Teacher

You can access gmail directly from Windows Phone 7. You can even integrate Facebook nicely in WP7.

Message 85 of 122 (1,275 Views)
Teacher

The battery is 1500mah! Do you know how much higher capacity that is than most other smart phones? They didn't skimp on this, the phone is a monster and just uses battery, normal use of his phone will last all day, heavy use will get you through most of the day, just charge it when you drive to and from work and you'll be fine.

Message 86 of 122 (1,257 Views)
Teacher

Good god man, by a charger and get on with it, the batter is 1500 mah, do you have any idea how huge that is?

Message 87 of 122 (1,256 Views)
Teacher

Re: Focus

untrue, i own the captivate and the focus the gps in the focus is spot on and locks in 4 seconds on average.

Message 88 of 122 (1,248 Views)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

PerfectCr wrote:

(Maybe) a dumb question.  Will AT&T allow me to get the Focus for the $199 price tag assuming I agree to the 2 year extension IF I just got the iPhone 4 in June?  

No

Complain to AT&T and talk to someone in their resolutions department.  I had a major issue with dropped calls and my Iphone 3GS when 3G was enabled.  Bottomline, I got the focus for $0.00.  note:  I was elgible for an upgrade at the time, so they discounted me from 199.00 to free.  They should be able to give it to you for a minimum the upgrade price.

Message 89 of 122 (1,208 Views)
Tutor

Hotmail limits # of contacts to 1,000 and I have over 2500.  Any solutions to sync with Outlook?

Message 90 of 122 (996 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.