Helpful Links

Samsung Focus w/QSD8250???

Contributor

Samsung Focus w/QSD8250???

This appears to be a fantastic device and I would purchase it in a heartbeat if it weren't for one thing; a QSD8250 Snapdragon? WTH? Not that a 1GHz processor is anything to scoff at, but come on, this SoC is a first gen. Snapdragon that was released in late 2008! This would mean that the GPU would be the Adreno 200 which if I understand correctly, has only a fraction of the graphics processing power of the SGX535 found in the iPhone 3GS for example. The Captivate running Samsung's Hummingbird (Cortex A8) has the SGX540 GPU which outperforms even the iPhone 4. Again, I'm not saying that a 1GHz processor is any kind of slouch, but using the QSD8250 SoC, instead of a Hummingbird or even an MSM8250 Snapdragon with the Adreno 205 GPU, just doesn't make any sense. Bottom line, the fact that Samsung would use such an antiquated SoC in a device with so much potential, running such a highly anticipated spanking new OS, is just mind boggling and for me a real deal breaker. 
Message 1 of 6
Mentor

Re: Samsung Focus w/QSD8250???

Mind boggling, maybe, but I'll point out that the Nexus One, Droid Incredible and Evo 4g all came out this year with 1st gen snapdragons with the Adreno 200.  It's only just now that phones are coming out with the MSM8x5x's, so maybe availability of the Adreno 205 simply just missed Samsung's development window for the Focus.  As to why not use their own Hummingbird, I can only take a wild guess that it has something to do with Windows Phone 7.

Message 2 of 6
Master

There is no definitive spec indicating which type of processor the Focus will be using. Engagdget leaves it as ???.  It may not be the same phone as Omnia 7 because Focus also sports external SD card slot that Omnia 7 lacks.

Message 3 of 6
Scholar

It will probably have the Hummingbird processor.  Remember when the Captivate was announced some websites was reparting that it would have a Snapdragon processor?  Wait until you see the official specs before you jump to conclusions .....

Message 4 of 6
Contributor

Sources which would be considered by many to be quite credible have been consistently reporting the Focus to be equipped with the QSD8250 since it's announcement. A reasonable conclusion -no jumping here-.
Message 5 of 6
Master

One possibility is that Samsung has yet to be able to deliver a WP7 compatible 2D/3D graphics driver for its PowerVR540 GPU while Microsoft probably already created reference driver for SnapDragon GPUs. PowerVR GPUs are unique and in the past (when used on PCs about 10 years ago) does not always play well with Microsoft 3D rendering pipeline.

Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support