Posted Oct 25, 2010
10:21:26 AM
Samsung Focus - usable SD card specs?

What is the specs, type and speed, of the SD card that can be used to expand the storage on Samsung Focus? Can someone from Samsung or AT&T answer this?

I am not asking about the SD card size or whether I can use it i my PC after using it in WP7.

I am asking about minimum hardware specs of the SD cards that can be used in Focus.

77 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(77)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 5:03:54 PM
(0)
Tutor

Any updates on the best cards to use?

Any updates on the best cards to use?

Re: Samsung Focus - usable SD card specs?

61 of 78 (2,731 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 9:14:08 AM
(0)
Contributor

Can I install the card later, after the phone was configured without it and how it can done?

Thanks

Can I install the card later, after the phone was configured without it and how it can done?

Thanks

Re: Samsung Focus - usable SD card specs?n

62 of 78 (2,462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2011 12:57:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

Well, I figured I was one of the lucky ones as my SanDisk 32 gig class 2 had been working since mid November. I started having problems last week, so I took out the card and the problems have stopped. I loved having all that memory, but at least the phone is functioning properly again. 8 gigs just isn't going to cut it for my purposes, so I hope those certified cards come out soon.

Well, I figured I was one of the lucky ones as my SanDisk 32 gig class 2 had been working since mid November. I started having problems last week, so I took out the card and the problems have stopped. I loved having all that memory, but at least the phone is functioning properly again. 8 gigs just isn't going to cut it for my purposes, so I hope those certified cards come out soon.

63 of 78 (2,395 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2011 7:21:44 AM
(0)
Mentor

"Lexar Media Introduces the 32GB Class 10 High-Speed Mobile microSDHC Card for Mobile Phones"....when I contacted Lexar about this asking if it was WP7 certified their response was that Lexar would probably never have a WP7 certified card as the problem is with the operating system of the phones and not the microSDHC card(s).  Not the answer I wanted to hear.

"Lexar Media Introduces the 32GB Class 10 High-Speed Mobile microSDHC Card for Mobile Phones"....when I contacted Lexar about this asking if it was WP7 certified their response was that Lexar would probably never have a WP7 certified card as the problem is with the operating system of the phones and not the microSDHC card(s).  Not the answer I wanted to hear.

64 of 78 (2,359 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2011 2:06:14 PM
(0)
Expert

terryk wrote:

/rofl - ask them for proof of their statement - suspect they are blowig smoke up the consumers lower half, add the fact a tier 1 csr would not know anything like that, especially since no site has reported it

Been running a 32 GB card since I got teh phone on november 9th, have not had issues with it

terryk wrote:

/rofl - ask them for proof of their statement - suspect they are blowig smoke up the consumers lower half, add the fact a tier 1 csr would not know anything like that, especially since no site has reported it

Been running a 32 GB card since I got teh phone on november 9th, have not had issues with it

65 of 78 (2,339 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2011 9:54:06 AM
(0)
Teacher

For all those that post they are successfully using an SD card in their Focus, are you sure you are actually using it. Do you have sufficient data on the phone to span memory over into the card? Many who have claimed success have found that once you cross over to the card's memory space due to the amount of data on the device, the Focus basically starts having issues.

It's not enough to have it in the Focus, you must actually be using significant space on the card to be able to claim success.

For all those that post they are successfully using an SD card in their Focus, are you sure you are actually using it. Do you have sufficient data on the phone to span memory over into the card? Many who have claimed success have found that once you cross over to the card's memory space due to the amount of data on the device, the Focus basically starts having issues.

It's not enough to have it in the Focus, you must actually be using significant space on the card to be able to claim success.

66 of 78 (2,230 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2011 12:05:20 PM
(0)
Master

egocaj wrote:

Thanks

Anytime you add a card or take a card out, you MUST do a factory reset to format the phone. So all your configurations and data will be wiped out.

egocaj wrote:

Thanks

Anytime you add a card or take a card out, you MUST do a factory reset to format the phone. So all your configurations and data will be wiped out.

67 of 78 (2,215 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2011 12:08:06 PM
(0)
Master

terryk wrote:

There is no such certification process. There are speculations/indications that such wide spread microSD card problem is related to SD card power management driver, probably from Samsung. Over at XDA-Developers some ppl are experimenting with a few registry hacks to solve this problem. But that requires you to jailbreak the phone first.

terryk wrote:

There is no such certification process. There are speculations/indications that such wide spread microSD card problem is related to SD card power management driver, probably from Samsung. Over at XDA-Developers some ppl are experimenting with a few registry hacks to solve this problem. But that requires you to jailbreak the phone first.

68 of 78 (2,212 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2011 2:32:57 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Feb 2, 2011 at 2:33:21 PM

jfern60 wrote:

yes I am, settings show 24.56GB of 34.84GB in use with movies and music

jfern60 wrote:

yes I am, settings show 24.56GB of 34.84GB in use with movies and music

[ Edited ]
69 of 78 (2,183 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2011 4:13:42 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by MarcellusT on Feb 8, 2011 at 4:51:35 PM

I started out using a SanDisk 32 gig class 2. Worked well for a while, then things started getting weird.

Returned it and got a SanDisk 16 gig class 2 (one of the ones unoffically listed as working with the phone). Installed it yesterday, put all my stuff back on. It's showing that I have 17.86 gigs left, but when I went to try and d/l a couple more apps, I got a warning that I've exceeded my storage limit and I need to go back and remove some items. Turned the phone off/ on and I'm still getting the same warning. I installed it as I should (camera button, volume down, power button, etc.).

I was just going to wait for the Windows officially certified cards after taking out the 32 gig card, but I figured this one may work-and those 8 gigs just wasn't cutting it for me. This is getting frustrating.

I have a Samsung Focus, by the way.

Edit: I just went to Zune and downloaded Dodgeball and another video that took up about 1 gig of space total with no problem. Now it's showing I have 16.73 gigs left. When I went back to the Markeplace and XBox Live, I was no longer getting the message that I didn't have enough space. I have no idea what to make of it, but I'm guessing that some weirdness will resurface at some point.

I started out using a SanDisk 32 gig class 2. Worked well for a while, then things started getting weird.

Returned it and got a SanDisk 16 gig class 2 (one of the ones unoffically listed as working with the phone). Installed it yesterday, put all my stuff back on. It's showing that I have 17.86 gigs left, but when I went to try and d/l a couple more apps, I got a warning that I've exceeded my storage limit and I need to go back and remove some items. Turned the phone off/ on and I'm still getting the same warning. I installed it as I should (camera button, volume down, power button, etc.).

I was just going to wait for the Windows officially certified cards after taking out the 32 gig card, but I figured this one may work-and those 8 gigs just wasn't cutting it for me. This is getting frustrating.

I have a Samsung Focus, by the way.

Edit: I just went to Zune and downloaded Dodgeball and another video that took up about 1 gig of space total with no problem. Now it's showing I have 16.73 gigs left. When I went back to the Markeplace and XBox Live, I was no longer getting the message that I didn't have enough space. I have no idea what to make of it, but I'm guessing that some weirdness will resurface at some point.

[ Edited ]
70 of 78 (1,964 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2011 5:32:31 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by snake92646 on Feb 8, 2011 at 5:34:20 PM

I am using a Filemate 16 GB C10 that was on sale on Fry's yesterday.  'About' screen declares Total Storage: 22.10 GB and Available Storage: 20.80 GB.  (I just got the Focus yesterday from Costco - FREE for an upgrade and 2yr contract).:smileyhappy: 

I am using a Filemate 16 GB C10 that was on sale on Fry's yesterday.  'About' screen declares Total Storage: 22.10 GB and Available Storage: 20.80 GB.  (I just got the Focus yesterday from Costco - FREE for an upgrade and 2yr contract).:smileyhappy: 

[ Edited ]
71 of 78 (2,943 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2011 5:54:29 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Feb 8, 2011 at 5:55:14 PM

Better pray you don't have random reboot or total loss of data couple weeks down the road. No microSD card is safe on Focus. It doesn't necessary show up these problems right away.

Better pray you don't have random reboot or total loss of data couple weeks down the road. No microSD card is safe on Focus. It doesn't necessary show up these problems right away.

[ Edited ]
72 of 78 (2,936 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2011 7:55:17 PM
(0)
Scholar

@foxbat,

Thanks and from the other posts, it looks like some luck is indeed needed.  What makes it worse is the ridiculous lack of a phone backup utility that we had in Winmo 6 and even in the iPhone.  (I know, I know, in case of a disaster with the SD card, you can restore some data from the cloud and apps from Zune, but it still not quite the same). 

@foxbat,

Thanks and from the other posts, it looks like some luck is indeed needed.  What makes it worse is the ridiculous lack of a phone backup utility that we had in Winmo 6 and even in the iPhone.  (I know, I know, in case of a disaster with the SD card, you can restore some data from the cloud and apps from Zune, but it still not quite the same). 

73 of 78 (2,913 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 8:21:40 AM
(0)
Tutor

I purchased my Samsung Focus the frist day it came out. I used the phone at first with just the built in memory. I then added a 16gb sandisk class 2 and everything went well for a week. Decided to try a 32gb Sandisk and after the first day starting having random reboots. Went back to the 16gb and suddenly had the same problem. The only thing I am not sure of is if I had installed enough photos and music to load the phone up past its first 8gb the first time I installed the 16gb card. Anyway, I did some reading and decided to try a Patriot card from Newegg. Newegg has a very good return policy and figured if it didn't work at least I would'nt be out money. (I was able to return the 16 Sandisk card to ATT because of the issue with the memory and phone. Alas the 32gb card was purchased on ebay and I am stuck with it.) I have been using this card since the end of November and can say I am totally happy. I haven't had one random reboot, no loss of data and the phone seams to work as smoothly as it did when I had no card installed. If you read the reviews at Newegg they have been very positive as to use with a Focus. I noticed on reviewer that bashed it as being slower after the Patriot card was installed, but they at least didn't mention any random rebooting so it may be they got a bad card. I highly recommend this card. I have used Patriot memory to build computers and have had very good luck. I do think it is a good idea to format any card in your computer first and it can't hurt to run a test on it before you install it in your phone. I had one high end Sandisk card purcashed for my digital camera go bad on the first day that I purchased it. I really love the Focus and am looking forward the the updates that are coming out for it in the near future.

I purchased my Samsung Focus the frist day it came out. I used the phone at first with just the built in memory. I then added a 16gb sandisk class 2 and everything went well for a week. Decided to try a 32gb Sandisk and after the first day starting having random reboots. Went back to the 16gb and suddenly had the same problem. The only thing I am not sure of is if I had installed enough photos and music to load the phone up past its first 8gb the first time I installed the 16gb card. Anyway, I did some reading and decided to try a Patriot card from Newegg. Newegg has a very good return policy and figured if it didn't work at least I would'nt be out money. (I was able to return the 16 Sandisk card to ATT because of the issue with the memory and phone. Alas the 32gb card was purchased on ebay and I am stuck with it.) I have been using this card since the end of November and can say I am totally happy. I haven't had one random reboot, no loss of data and the phone seams to work as smoothly as it did when I had no card installed. If you read the reviews at Newegg they have been very positive as to use with a Focus. I noticed on reviewer that bashed it as being slower after the Patriot card was installed, but they at least didn't mention any random rebooting so it may be they got a bad card. I highly recommend this card. I have used Patriot memory to build computers and have had very good luck. I do think it is a good idea to format any card in your computer first and it can't hurt to run a test on it before you install it in your phone. I had one high end Sandisk card purcashed for my digital camera go bad on the first day that I purchased it. I really love the Focus and am looking forward the the updates that are coming out for it in the near future.

74 of 78 (2,838 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2011 6:26:30 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by dgerodim on Apr 12, 2011 at 6:30:10 AM

[ Edited ]
75 of 78 (2,122 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2011 2:14:28 PM
(0)
Contributor

76 of 78 (2,047 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2011 6:04:59 AM
(0)
Scholar

Has anybody tried one?

I have a Sandisk 8GB Class 2 card in my Focus, but Zune slows waaay down once I pass 8GB storage, so the 2nd 8GB isn't very usable.

So I'm skeptical that replacing it with another Sandisk Class 2 will correct this.

Has anybody tried one?

I have a Sandisk 8GB Class 2 card in my Focus, but Zune slows waaay down once I pass 8GB storage, so the 2nd 8GB isn't very usable.

So I'm skeptical that replacing it with another Sandisk Class 2 will correct this.

77 of 78 (1,999 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2011 7:30:14 PM
(0)
Mentor

I installed one of the certified cards in my daughter's Focus a couple of days ago.  No issues.  Went through the Pre-NoDo and NoDo updates today.  No issues so far.

I installed one of the certified cards in my daughter's Focus a couple of days ago.  No issues.  Went through the Pre-NoDo and NoDo updates today.  No issues so far.

78 of 78 (1,940 Views)