Samsung Focus - usable SD card specs?

Teacher

Samsung Focus - usable SD card specs?

What is the specs, type and speed, of the SD card that can be used to expand the storage on Samsung Focus? Can someone from Samsung or AT&T answer this?

I am not asking about the SD card size or whether I can use it i my PC after using it in WP7.

I am asking about minimum hardware specs of the SD cards that can be used in Focus.

Message 1 of 78 (17,281 Views)
Teacher

Re: Samsung Focus - usable SD card specs?

[ Edited ]

icnatejackson you didn't have to google anything.  I posted the solution on how to get the phone back to it's native 8GB state a few times on this forum.  Smiley Wink

Message 46 of 78 (4,027 Views)
Professor

Ughhh...my Adata 16GB Class 6 tanked today.  I powered the phone back up after a plane flight and it dumped.  About only showed 15MB.  Anyway, I pulled the SD and reformatted.  Re synced with Zune and all is well now.  Except that I do not have additional memory beyond my 8GB.

I'll be sticking around to see what the eventual fix is.

Funny thing is that I had powercycled the phone in the past and not dumped.  The only difference I can think of is that I had just installed a considerable number of apps and data via Zune.  Maybe the additional data had spanned over somehow which caused the problem.  Who knows.

Message 47 of 78 (3,961 Views)
Professor

Here is a list of known SD cards to be working with the Focus. If you have one of these, you should not have an issue (Unofficial)

Message 48 of 78 (3,828 Views)
Teacher

Message 49 of 78 (3,753 Views)
Professor

Sandisk 8GB class 2 officially ceritified for the Samsung Focus

Message 50 of 78 (3,714 Views)
Contributor

Just an update. I have loaded about 12 GB of music on my phone. No major problems so far. There was one error reported by the phone in over two weeks of heavy use, but the phone recovered without the need to reboot and no data was lost. I think the Kingston cards are the way to go if you want to upgrade the memory on the focus.

Message 51 of 78 (4,097 Views)

I've been using the SanDisk class 2 32G in my Focus for close to a week now and it seems to be working fine. I'm having problems loading the Marketplace from time to time and the apps load slowly at times, but others that haven't installed a card are experiencing similar problems with the Marketplace, so I don't think that issue is related to the card.

This is the second time I've installed this card, though. The first time I installed it, I got the sequence on the buttons wrong. I got an image on my phone showing me to connect phone to PC with a USB cord after the wrong sequence. Then instead of starting all over (turning off and doing the sequence), did the proper button sequence from the screen telling me to connect the phone to the PC.

Seemed to go through fine, but when I went to All Pictures, it would take me to email settings. Seemed odd and I wondered if it was because I got the sequence off the first time. So I turned off the phone, took out the card (after backing my music and videos up), put the card back in, did the hard reset and formatted the phone. The glitch of going to email settings after tapping on All Pictures was then gone, and remains gone, so I think that problem may have been due to me messing up the sequence the first time I installed the card.

Message 52 of 78 (3,992 Views)
Guru

Marketplace issues are separate and apart from problems encountered with SD cards. Your card is not the cause of the hangups that you (and many others) experienced.

Though, it appears from the different forums that SanDisk cards are compatible.

Message 53 of 78 (3,980 Views)

Thanks for the info. I was hoping it didn't have anything to do with the card as I really don't want to have to buy another card and reformat, but wasn't sure. Regarding the Marketplace issues, I haven't been having them the past couple of days (knock on wood). I'm hardly convinced the problems won't return, though. Don't think it will just go away without a fix.

Message 54 of 78 (3,967 Views)
Mentor

I have a 16 gig card branded and sold by Microcenter.  It has a C with a 2 in it so I assume that means it's Class 2.

Works like a champ.

Bonus is that Microcenter said that they would take it back if it didn't work.

Message 55 of 78 (3,949 Views)
Contributor

It is clear to me at this point using any SD card in your phone is a hit or miss proposition. Tried 3 cards so far:

1. Sandisk 32 GB class 2 - horrible from the get go, the whole phone took a major hit in performance, what was instantaneous became a few seconds operation, music was unplayable and forget about video (recording or playback)

2. Kingstopn 32 GB class 4 - the first one was not even a class 2 according to tests, accordingly the phone was simply stumbling; replaced that as being defective and the second one was actually usable (mind you the exact same brand, capacity and class); the phone was still fast but Zune sync after 8 GB would sometimes take forever or fail altogether; playback of songs will randomly skip (interesting enough retrying a skipped song sometimes will play it back fine, otherwise will skip at a different point); video playback impossible (stuttering)

At this point I believe there is no 32 GB card out there that it is uasble in the phone. So I tried also a Komputerbay 16 GB class 6. This was a joke of a card with write speeds at about 1.5 MB/s instead of minimum 6, accordingly it failed miserably in the phone.

One more try and I am done. This time I am going with Kingston 16GB class 10. I will report back.

Message 56 of 78 (3,574 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

YaGottaBKidding wrote:

It is clear to me at this point using any SD card in your phone is a hit or miss proposition. Tried 3 cards so far:

1. Sandisk 32 GB class 2 - horrible from the get go, the whole phone took a major hit in performance, what was instantaneous became a few seconds operation, music was unplayable and forget about video (recording or playback)

2. Kingstopn 32 GB class 4 - the first one was not even a class 2 according to tests, accordingly the phone was simply stumbling; replaced that as being defective and the second one was actually usable (mind you the exact same brand, capacity and class); the phone was still fast but Zune sync after 8 GB would sometimes take forever or fail altogether; playback of songs will randomly skip (interesting enough retrying a skipped song sometimes will play it back fine, otherwise will skip at a different point); video playback impossible (stuttering)

At this point I believe there is no 32 GB card out there that it is uasble in the phone. So I tried also a Komputerbay 16 GB class 6. This was a joke of a card with write speeds at about 1.5 MB/s instead of minimum 6, accordingly it failed miserably in the phone.

One more try and I am done. This time I am going with Kingston 16GB class 10. I will report back.

Kingston 32GB installed in the phone on 11/08 after it was picked up,  installed and formated, 0 problems with it, have my entire zune collection of music downloaded to it (way more the 8 GB of music), tons of apps. Phone has been powered off and on numerous times for flights and other senarios where it is imploite to have a cell phone disturb a presentation or performance.

Message 57 of 78 (3,553 Views)
Mentor

just got my samsung focus which is amazing by the way. anyway tried sandisk 32gb Class 4 card which was pulled out my digital camera with no luck at all.

I suppose i'll just have to wait till this SD card issues gets ironed out, as i still could live with 8gb.

Message 58 of 78 (3,533 Views)

YaGottaBKidding wrote:

So far, my Sandisk class 2 32 gig has been working well. No problems that I've been able to detect and I'm going on almost a month now.

Message 59 of 78 (3,298 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

As promised I come back to report my experience with 16GB Kingston class 10. Unfortunately, this was a flop as well. While in a PC it worked quite well with write speeds of about 12.5 MB/s and reads of 18 MB/s in the phone it didn't work in a strange way. The phone reported only 16 GB of memory instead of 24 (8 + 16) and available only about 10 GB (instead of 14 or so since the OS will take about 2 GB). Never got to the point where I would actually try the card, I simply returned it. In the meantime I got the 3rd Kingston 32 GB class 4 and this one seems to perform much better (please note that I tried twice before exact same brand, size and class with no good results). So far it works although from time to time some songs will skip when they are located past the initial 8 GB of internal flash the phone has.

As I said,personal experience can vary as some ppl are reporting good results with even class 2 cards but be prepared to do a lot of back and forth with your seller in case blind luck is not your ally.

Message 60 of 78 (3,034 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.