Posted Oct 25, 2010
10:21:26 AM
Samsung Focus - usable SD card specs?

What is the specs, type and speed, of the SD card that can be used to expand the storage on Samsung Focus? Can someone from Samsung or AT&T answer this?

I am not asking about the SD card size or whether I can use it i my PC after using it in WP7.

I am asking about minimum hardware specs of the SD cards that can be used in Focus.

77 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(77)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2010 7:07:41 AM
(0)
Mentor

The reason I thought it needed to be clarified and stated, foxbat121, is that  while many of us here know the difference and so use the terms interchangably, when going on line (or for that matter in stores) people will see all three (SD, microSD, microSDHC) cards for sale and many will not be that knowledgable. They won't know the difference between the cards or know the difference between a class 0, 2 4, or 6 (apparently btw, HD7s are coming with class 0 or 2 cards). Theyt'll see something cheaper and buy it, and then when they try to put it in their phone, will wind up railing against AT&T or MS.

The reason I thought it needed to be clarified and stated, foxbat121, is that  while many of us here know the difference and so use the terms interchangably, when going on line (or for that matter in stores) people will see all three (SD, microSD, microSDHC) cards for sale and many will not be that knowledgable. They won't know the difference between the cards or know the difference between a class 0, 2 4, or 6 (apparently btw, HD7s are coming with class 0 or 2 cards). Theyt'll see something cheaper and buy it, and then when they try to put it in their phone, will wind up railing against AT&T or MS.

Re: Samsung Focus - usable SD card specs?

31 of 78 (4,135 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2010 7:29:10 AM
(0)
Master

Ppl are not that dumb (ok, maybe bought a SD card instead of microSD is just a mistake instead of not knowing the specs). But if you bought a 2GB or 1GB microSD, you know what you're buying and will still work fine with the phone. There is no such thing as 8GB or 16GB of microSD cards. The difference between microSD and microSDHC is simply size differences (and maybe a little bit faster for microSDHC cards). That's all.

Ppl are not that dumb (ok, maybe bought a SD card instead of microSD is just a mistake instead of not knowing the specs). But if you bought a 2GB or 1GB microSD, you know what you're buying and will still work fine with the phone. There is no such thing as 8GB or 16GB of microSD cards. The difference between microSD and microSDHC is simply size differences (and maybe a little bit faster for microSDHC cards). That's all.

32 of 78 (4,120 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2010 1:40:27 PM
(0)
Professor

I received my Adata 16GB microSDHC class 6 today and tested it with the previously mentioned gold standard software.  I am happy.

15476 of 15476 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 8.73 MByte/s
Reading speed: 17.2 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

I also stopped by my local BB today and they were selling a 16GB microSDHC class 2 drive for $99.  That is almost criminal.  My class 6 cost me $51.

I received my Adata 16GB microSDHC class 6 today and tested it with the previously mentioned gold standard software.  I am happy.

15476 of 15476 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 8.73 MByte/s
Reading speed: 17.2 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

I also stopped by my local BB today and they were selling a 16GB microSDHC class 2 drive for $99.  That is almost criminal.  My class 6 cost me $51.

33 of 78 (3,973 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2010 5:41:38 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Seed 2.0 on Nov 4, 2010 at 5:43:32 AM

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SGH-I917ZKAATT?  <-----  Click me and see

" Will the external MicroSD card be removable with out hard reset of the phone?

Thank you for your inquiry. Hi. Yes I totally understand exactly what you mean by the external Micro SD card slot. And yes the external micro SD card of your phone can be removed. Even if you don���t perform a hard reset, you can remove it. All you need to do is to turn off your phone, remove the SIM card and then you can remove the SD card. And if you have the user���s manual with you, you can double check how it is done. For further details regarding this phone, we advise you to visit our website www.samsung.com to check for other specifications that you may enjoy with this phone. Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products. Sincerely, Technical Support

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SGH-I917ZKAATT?  <-----  Click me and see

" Will the external MicroSD card be removable with out hard reset of the phone?

Thank you for your inquiry. Hi. Yes I totally understand exactly what you mean by the external Micro SD card slot. And yes the external micro SD card of your phone can be removed. Even if you don���t perform a hard reset, you can remove it. All you need to do is to turn off your phone, remove the SIM card and then you can remove the SD card. And if you have the user���s manual with you, you can double check how it is done. For further details regarding this phone, we advise you to visit our website www.samsung.com to check for other specifications that you may enjoy with this phone. Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products. Sincerely, Technical Support

[ Edited ]
34 of 78 (3,916 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2010 7:03:09 AM
(0)
Master

Two issues the above Samsung answer didn't address:

1. When you remove your SD card, yes, you don't have to hardreset the phone. But what Samsung didn't tell you is that the phone won't functioning until you either put the original SD card back or hard reset the phone. It has been confirmed.

2. The SD card you take out is not read/writable on other phones or PCs. So, it is not like you can take the card out and start copy music and movie to it. If you somehow modified the card, you will likely lost everything and need to hard reset your phone.

The SD card is married to your internal storage as part of the storage parition. It's like you take one of the hard drive out of a RAID0 array and expect your RAID to conitnue funtion as normal (it can't).

1. When you remove your SD card, yes, you don't have to hardreset the phone. But what Samsung didn't tell you is that the phone won't functioning until you either put the original SD card back or hard reset the phone. It has been confirmed.

2. The SD card you take out is not read/writable on other phones or PCs. So, it is not like you can take the card out and start copy music and movie to it. If you somehow modified the card, you will likely lost everything and need to hard reset your phone.

The SD card is married to your internal storage as part of the storage parition. It's like you take one of the hard drive out of a RAID0 array and expect your RAID to conitnue funtion as normal (it can't).

35 of 78 (3,896 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2010 9:48:18 AM
(0)
Expert

foxbat121 wrote:

Technically the SD card IS a raid device - JBOD is how MS puts it, it spans that the internal 8gb and whatever you install in the slot. If a 32GB you would have somewhere close to 40GB available, minus the over head. Most other other phones handle the sd card as a seperate storage device

foxbat121 wrote:

Technically the SD card IS a raid device - JBOD is how MS puts it, it spans that the internal 8gb and whatever you install in the slot. If a 32GB you would have somewhere close to 40GB available, minus the over head. Most other other phones handle the sd card as a seperate storage device

36 of 78 (3,870 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 6:00:00 AM
(0)
Contributor

Jeff...

This is all well and good, except for the fact that when I purchased the Focus yesterday, your AT&T rep told me that he had no cards which could be used in the phone.  He went on to tell me that he had gotten an email stating that he should inform his customers to NOT put ANY microSD cards into their phones at this time.

That makes is sorta difficult to insert a card into the phone before you power it up for the first time.

#NewPhoneLaunchFAIL

Nate

Jeff...

This is all well and good, except for the fact that when I purchased the Focus yesterday, your AT&T rep told me that he had no cards which could be used in the phone.  He went on to tell me that he had gotten an email stating that he should inform his customers to NOT put ANY microSD cards into their phones at this time.

That makes is sorta difficult to insert a card into the phone before you power it up for the first time.

#NewPhoneLaunchFAIL

Nate

37 of 78 (3,542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 7:35:32 AM
(0)
Professor

I am not really sure what is going on here, but if you feel like trying, it is not critical that the card be inserted before the first time the phone is powered on, but it is that you format the card in the phone with the phone powered off.  Just follow the procedure.  It would appear that there may be some people who are still finding that their cards do not work.  I have no idea what that issue is.  If you have a good card though and you have tested it out for authenticity, I do not think that you will have any problem.

I am not really sure what is going on here, but if you feel like trying, it is not critical that the card be inserted before the first time the phone is powered on, but it is that you format the card in the phone with the phone powered off.  Just follow the procedure.  It would appear that there may be some people who are still finding that their cards do not work.  I have no idea what that issue is.  If you have a good card though and you have tested it out for authenticity, I do not think that you will have any problem.

38 of 78 (3,502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 8:11:08 AM
(0)
Master

But format the card is more than just format. It hard resets and you lost everything on the phone. So, it is a hassle to put in a card after you have setup the phone.

But format the card is more than just format. It hard resets and you lost everything on the phone. So, it is a hassle to put in a card after you have setup the phone.

39 of 78 (3,480 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 9:09:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

For the "official" word, you should refer to the Microsoft Support site:

In short: some cards will work well while others won't due to performance characteristics.  The "Class" system is no guarantee.  To be assured of a good experience wait for the release of cards that are "Windows Phone Certified".

For the "official" word, you should refer to the Microsoft Support site:

In short: some cards will work well while others won't due to performance characteristics.  The "Class" system is no guarantee.  To be assured of a good experience wait for the release of cards that are "Windows Phone Certified".

40 of 78 (3,234 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 12:44:36 AM
(0)
Contributor

I opted to spend the cash for the Kingston 32GB Class 4 chip, which I purchased directly from Kingston.

test results:

Warning: Only 30591 of 30592 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 4.56 MByte/s
Reading speed: 16.9 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

I performed a hard-reset on the Samsung Focus with this card in it (took all of 6-7 seconds) and it is reporting 37.07 GB Total storage with 35.04 GB Available.  I haven't really loaded anything on the phone yet, so I can't say that the memory is performant, but all signs point to being able to use the chip.

Nate

I opted to spend the cash for the Kingston 32GB Class 4 chip, which I purchased directly from Kingston.

test results:

Warning: Only 30591 of 30592 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 4.56 MByte/s
Reading speed: 16.9 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

I performed a hard-reset on the Samsung Focus with this card in it (took all of 6-7 seconds) and it is reporting 37.07 GB Total storage with 35.04 GB Available.  I haven't really loaded anything on the phone yet, so I can't say that the memory is performant, but all signs point to being able to use the chip.

Nate

41 of 78 (3,754 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 5:30:33 AM
(0)
Guru

From XDA:

Over at XDA, emjee87 has been compiling a list on what microSD cards are reported to work with the Focus/WP7. This is because AT&T has gone back and forth on if SD cards should be installed and if so which ones, etc. Remember that this list is a work in progress so we need to see what happens as the cards get filled and used more often. You can also see that people are reporting issues, with some cards not working at all, some slowing down over time and some causing reboots so this is a real issue. So bear in mind that Windows Phone is only a few days old in the US this has to be treated as a rough guide but it’s better than what AT&T has told us (which is nothing):

Confirmed Working(Data remains after soft reset):
Kingston
Kingston 4GB Class 4
Kingston 8GB Class 4
Kingston 32GB Class 4
Microcenter
Microcenter 16GB Class 2
SanDisk
SanDisk 8 GB Class 2
SanDisk 16GB Class 2
SanDisk 16 GB Class 6
Currently Unstable/Unsure:
SanDisk 32 GB Class 2
Confirmed Not Working(Data gone after soft reset):
A-Data
A-Data 4GB Class 6
A-Data 16GB Class 6
Lexar
Lexar 16GB Class 6
Transcend
Transcend 8GB Class 6

From XDA:

Over at XDA, emjee87 has been compiling a list on what microSD cards are reported to work with the Focus/WP7. This is because AT&T has gone back and forth on if SD cards should be installed and if so which ones, etc. Remember that this list is a work in progress so we need to see what happens as the cards get filled and used more often. You can also see that people are reporting issues, with some cards not working at all, some slowing down over time and some causing reboots so this is a real issue. So bear in mind that Windows Phone is only a few days old in the US this has to be treated as a rough guide but it’s better than what AT&T has told us (which is nothing):

Confirmed Working(Data remains after soft reset):
Kingston
Kingston 4GB Class 4
Kingston 8GB Class 4
Kingston 32GB Class 4
Microcenter
Microcenter 16GB Class 2
SanDisk
SanDisk 8 GB Class 2
SanDisk 16GB Class 2
SanDisk 16 GB Class 6
Currently Unstable/Unsure:
SanDisk 32 GB Class 2
Confirmed Not Working(Data gone after soft reset):
A-Data
A-Data 4GB Class 6
A-Data 16GB Class 6
Lexar
Lexar 16GB Class 6
Transcend
Transcend 8GB Class 6

42 of 78 (3,732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 6:42:21 PM
(0)
Contributor

I can confirm that the Kingston Class 4 16GB Micro SD card will work as well. I have 22GB total space and 15.88 available after loading several GB of music onto the phone. The phone will soft reset and turn off while retaining data. I have even turned off the phone, removed the SIM, SD card, and battery, reinserted everything and the phone boots up normally retaining all my data.

A few notes... The card came from Buy.com for about $35 shipped making it one of the larger, faster and cheaper cards available that works with the Focus. The card comes formatted for FAT32. There was some speculation that cards in other formats may cause the reset issues.

After purchasing the phone, I inserted the memory card and performed the "Hard reset" by pressing "Down" "Camera"and "Power" buttons. This booted the phone into the "download mode."

The phone was connected to my computer at the time, and when "download mode" was activated, the computer detected new hardware and attempted to install a similar diver/utility program that was produced for Samsung feature phones. I left the phone in download mode for over an hour then pulled the battery and restarted the phone.

At this point the phone was only registering the factory 8GB. I reset the phone through the "About" menu in "Settings"

After the reset, my phone registered 22GB of space with 20GB available. I loaded as many songs as I could find to test the SD card. After I got to less than 16 GB of free space I figured I had to be using the SD card's memory. I'm only about 1/3 the way through downloading my songs so I will have more updates if anything changes. Right now the system is stable.

I can confirm that the Kingston Class 4 16GB Micro SD card will work as well. I have 22GB total space and 15.88 available after loading several GB of music onto the phone. The phone will soft reset and turn off while retaining data. I have even turned off the phone, removed the SIM, SD card, and battery, reinserted everything and the phone boots up normally retaining all my data.

A few notes... The card came from Buy.com for about $35 shipped making it one of the larger, faster and cheaper cards available that works with the Focus. The card comes formatted for FAT32. There was some speculation that cards in other formats may cause the reset issues.

After purchasing the phone, I inserted the memory card and performed the "Hard reset" by pressing "Down" "Camera"and "Power" buttons. This booted the phone into the "download mode."

The phone was connected to my computer at the time, and when "download mode" was activated, the computer detected new hardware and attempted to install a similar diver/utility program that was produced for Samsung feature phones. I left the phone in download mode for over an hour then pulled the battery and restarted the phone.

At this point the phone was only registering the factory 8GB. I reset the phone through the "About" menu in "Settings"

After the reset, my phone registered 22GB of space with 20GB available. I loaded as many songs as I could find to test the SD card. After I got to less than 16 GB of free space I figured I had to be using the SD card's memory. I'm only about 1/3 the way through downloading my songs so I will have more updates if anything changes. Right now the system is stable.

43 of 78 (3,582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 7:23:09 PM
(0)
Teacher

daniel_leavitt2000 wrote:

I too confirm Daniel's assertion. Even I got my Kingston 16 GB from Class 4 from buy.com. No issues in using it in my Focus.

I saw prubins posting on my Windows Phone. But its browser didn't allow me to reply on the phone. So I had to wait till I came home.

daniel_leavitt2000 wrote:

I too confirm Daniel's assertion. Even I got my Kingston 16 GB from Class 4 from buy.com. No issues in using it in my Focus.

I saw prubins posting on my Windows Phone. But its browser didn't allow me to reply on the phone. So I had to wait till I came home.

44 of 78 (3,562 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2010 5:23:54 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'd previously posted about having good luck with the Kingston 32GB Class 4 chip in my Focus.  I did indicate that I hadn't really loaded anything yet.  Well, now I have (tried) with pretty dismal results.

I was able to sync about 8-9 GB of music using Zune, and then my sync essentially stopped.  Instead of sub-second time to sync a song, it was taking minutes per song.  If I stopped and started the sync, it would synch 1-15 songs quickly, then go back to taking minutes per song.  Many others have reported this exact experience at http://windowsphonesecrets.com/2010/11/08/att-alert-do-not-install-microsd-in-samsung-focus-yet/ .

Now, just using the phone for normal operations appears sluggish.  Installing apps takes minutes when it use to take seconds.  Many times, unlocking the phone and swiping the screen upwards to reveal the home screen takes a couple seconds for the phone to respond. 

I'm not sure if I'm just being overly critical at this point, but I can say with certainty this is not the experience I want on a daily basis.

As a test, I removed the 32GB chip and tried to hard-reset the phone to the original 8GB.  Wow, what a mess.  I thought I bricked my phone for about an hour as I tried endless resets, battery removals, etc.  Search google for "samsung focus" and "download mode" for a preview into the fun times I had.

I eventually stumbled across something that made my phone an 8GB phone again and the phone was a responsive phone again.

I still debating on if I want to put the 32GB chip in again and hope that some software patch resolves the performance issues, or stick with the 8GB and hope that Samsung/ATT/Microsoft figure out a way to add the chip later without loosing any of my existing data.

I know we're only a week into this, but cripes... this was a National rollout, not some limited beta program.

I'd previously posted about having good luck with the Kingston 32GB Class 4 chip in my Focus.  I did indicate that I hadn't really loaded anything yet.  Well, now I have (tried) with pretty dismal results.

I was able to sync about 8-9 GB of music using Zune, and then my sync essentially stopped.  Instead of sub-second time to sync a song, it was taking minutes per song.  If I stopped and started the sync, it would synch 1-15 songs quickly, then go back to taking minutes per song.  Many others have reported this exact experience at http://windowsphonesecrets.com/2010/11/08/att-alert-do-not-install-microsd-in-samsung-focus-yet/ .

Now, just using the phone for normal operations appears sluggish.  Installing apps takes minutes when it use to take seconds.  Many times, unlocking the phone and swiping the screen upwards to reveal the home screen takes a couple seconds for the phone to respond. 

I'm not sure if I'm just being overly critical at this point, but I can say with certainty this is not the experience I want on a daily basis.

As a test, I removed the 32GB chip and tried to hard-reset the phone to the original 8GB.  Wow, what a mess.  I thought I bricked my phone for about an hour as I tried endless resets, battery removals, etc.  Search google for "samsung focus" and "download mode" for a preview into the fun times I had.

I eventually stumbled across something that made my phone an 8GB phone again and the phone was a responsive phone again.

I still debating on if I want to put the 32GB chip in again and hope that some software patch resolves the performance issues, or stick with the 8GB and hope that Samsung/ATT/Microsoft figure out a way to add the chip later without loosing any of my existing data.

I know we're only a week into this, but cripes... this was a National rollout, not some limited beta program.

45 of 78 (3,508 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2010 7:20:13 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by PerfectCr on Nov 12, 2010 at 7:20:38 AM

icnatejackson you didn't have to google anything.  I posted the solution on how to get the phone back to it's native 8GB state a few times on this forum.  :smileywink:

icnatejackson you didn't have to google anything.  I posted the solution on how to get the phone back to it's native 8GB state a few times on this forum.  :smileywink:

[ Edited ]
46 of 78 (3,485 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2010 11:55:32 AM
(0)
Professor

Ughhh...my Adata 16GB Class 6 tanked today.  I powered the phone back up after a plane flight and it dumped.  About only showed 15MB.  Anyway, I pulled the SD and reformatted.  Re synced with Zune and all is well now.  Except that I do not have additional memory beyond my 8GB.

I'll be sticking around to see what the eventual fix is.

Funny thing is that I had powercycled the phone in the past and not dumped.  The only difference I can think of is that I had just installed a considerable number of apps and data via Zune.  Maybe the additional data had spanned over somehow which caused the problem.  Who knows.

Ughhh...my Adata 16GB Class 6 tanked today.  I powered the phone back up after a plane flight and it dumped.  About only showed 15MB.  Anyway, I pulled the SD and reformatted.  Re synced with Zune and all is well now.  Except that I do not have additional memory beyond my 8GB.

I'll be sticking around to see what the eventual fix is.

Funny thing is that I had powercycled the phone in the past and not dumped.  The only difference I can think of is that I had just installed a considerable number of apps and data via Zune.  Maybe the additional data had spanned over somehow which caused the problem.  Who knows.

47 of 78 (3,419 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2010 10:06:20 PM
(0)
Professor

Here is a list of known SD cards to be working with the Focus. If you have one of these, you should not have an issue (Unofficial)

Here is a list of known SD cards to be working with the Focus. If you have one of these, you should not have an issue (Unofficial)

48 of 78 (3,286 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2010 8:18:33 PM
(0)
Teacher

49 of 78 (3,211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2010 5:46:37 AM
(0)
Professor

Sandisk 8GB class 2 officially ceritified for the Samsung Focus

Sandisk 8GB class 2 officially ceritified for the Samsung Focus

50 of 78 (3,172 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2010 10:43:43 AM
(0)
Contributor

Just an update. I have loaded about 12 GB of music on my phone. No major problems so far. There was one error reported by the phone in over two weeks of heavy use, but the phone recovered without the need to reboot and no data was lost. I think the Kingston cards are the way to go if you want to upgrade the memory on the focus.

Just an update. I have loaded about 12 GB of music on my phone. No major problems so far. There was one error reported by the phone in over two weeks of heavy use, but the phone recovered without the need to reboot and no data was lost. I think the Kingston cards are the way to go if you want to upgrade the memory on the focus.

51 of 78 (3,555 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 10:00:29 AM
(0)

I've been using the SanDisk class 2 32G in my Focus for close to a week now and it seems to be working fine. I'm having problems loading the Marketplace from time to time and the apps load slowly at times, but others that haven't installed a card are experiencing similar problems with the Marketplace, so I don't think that issue is related to the card.

This is the second time I've installed this card, though. The first time I installed it, I got the sequence on the buttons wrong. I got an image on my phone showing me to connect phone to PC with a USB cord after the wrong sequence. Then instead of starting all over (turning off and doing the sequence), did the proper button sequence from the screen telling me to connect the phone to the PC.

Seemed to go through fine, but when I went to All Pictures, it would take me to email settings. Seemed odd and I wondered if it was because I got the sequence off the first time. So I turned off the phone, took out the card (after backing my music and videos up), put the card back in, did the hard reset and formatted the phone. The glitch of going to email settings after tapping on All Pictures was then gone, and remains gone, so I think that problem may have been due to me messing up the sequence the first time I installed the card.

I've been using the SanDisk class 2 32G in my Focus for close to a week now and it seems to be working fine. I'm having problems loading the Marketplace from time to time and the apps load slowly at times, but others that haven't installed a card are experiencing similar problems with the Marketplace, so I don't think that issue is related to the card.

This is the second time I've installed this card, though. The first time I installed it, I got the sequence on the buttons wrong. I got an image on my phone showing me to connect phone to PC with a USB cord after the wrong sequence. Then instead of starting all over (turning off and doing the sequence), did the proper button sequence from the screen telling me to connect the phone to the PC.

Seemed to go through fine, but when I went to All Pictures, it would take me to email settings. Seemed odd and I wondered if it was because I got the sequence off the first time. So I turned off the phone, took out the card (after backing my music and videos up), put the card back in, did the hard reset and formatted the phone. The glitch of going to email settings after tapping on All Pictures was then gone, and remains gone, so I think that problem may have been due to me messing up the sequence the first time I installed the card.

52 of 78 (3,450 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 10:19:33 AM
(0)
Guru

Marketplace issues are separate and apart from problems encountered with SD cards. Your card is not the cause of the hangups that you (and many others) experienced.

Though, it appears from the different forums that SanDisk cards are compatible.

Marketplace issues are separate and apart from problems encountered with SD cards. Your card is not the cause of the hangups that you (and many others) experienced.

Though, it appears from the different forums that SanDisk cards are compatible.

53 of 78 (3,438 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 11:09:11 AM
(0)

Thanks for the info. I was hoping it didn't have anything to do with the card as I really don't want to have to buy another card and reformat, but wasn't sure. Regarding the Marketplace issues, I haven't been having them the past couple of days (knock on wood). I'm hardly convinced the problems won't return, though. Don't think it will just go away without a fix.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping it didn't have anything to do with the card as I really don't want to have to buy another card and reformat, but wasn't sure. Regarding the Marketplace issues, I haven't been having them the past couple of days (knock on wood). I'm hardly convinced the problems won't return, though. Don't think it will just go away without a fix.

54 of 78 (3,425 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 12:09:12 PM
(0)
Mentor

I have a 16 gig card branded and sold by Microcenter.  It has a C with a 2 in it so I assume that means it's Class 2.

Works like a champ.

Bonus is that Microcenter said that they would take it back if it didn't work.

I have a 16 gig card branded and sold by Microcenter.  It has a C with a 2 in it so I assume that means it's Class 2.

Works like a champ.

Bonus is that Microcenter said that they would take it back if it didn't work.

55 of 78 (3,407 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 9:51:06 AM
(0)
Contributor

It is clear to me at this point using any SD card in your phone is a hit or miss proposition. Tried 3 cards so far:

1. Sandisk 32 GB class 2 - horrible from the get go, the whole phone took a major hit in performance, what was instantaneous became a few seconds operation, music was unplayable and forget about video (recording or playback)

2. Kingstopn 32 GB class 4 - the first one was not even a class 2 according to tests, accordingly the phone was simply stumbling; replaced that as being defective and the second one was actually usable (mind you the exact same brand, capacity and class); the phone was still fast but Zune sync after 8 GB would sometimes take forever or fail altogether; playback of songs will randomly skip (interesting enough retrying a skipped song sometimes will play it back fine, otherwise will skip at a different point); video playback impossible (stuttering)

At this point I believe there is no 32 GB card out there that it is uasble in the phone. So I tried also a Komputerbay 16 GB class 6. This was a joke of a card with write speeds at about 1.5 MB/s instead of minimum 6, accordingly it failed miserably in the phone.

One more try and I am done. This time I am going with Kingston 16GB class 10. I will report back.

It is clear to me at this point using any SD card in your phone is a hit or miss proposition. Tried 3 cards so far:

1. Sandisk 32 GB class 2 - horrible from the get go, the whole phone took a major hit in performance, what was instantaneous became a few seconds operation, music was unplayable and forget about video (recording or playback)

2. Kingstopn 32 GB class 4 - the first one was not even a class 2 according to tests, accordingly the phone was simply stumbling; replaced that as being defective and the second one was actually usable (mind you the exact same brand, capacity and class); the phone was still fast but Zune sync after 8 GB would sometimes take forever or fail altogether; playback of songs will randomly skip (interesting enough retrying a skipped song sometimes will play it back fine, otherwise will skip at a different point); video playback impossible (stuttering)

At this point I believe there is no 32 GB card out there that it is uasble in the phone. So I tried also a Komputerbay 16 GB class 6. This was a joke of a card with write speeds at about 1.5 MB/s instead of minimum 6, accordingly it failed miserably in the phone.

One more try and I am done. This time I am going with Kingston 16GB class 10. I will report back.

56 of 78 (3,032 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 1:12:47 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Dec 10, 2010 at 1:16:33 PM

YaGottaBKidding wrote:

Kingston 32GB installed in the phone on 11/08 after it was picked up,  installed and formated, 0 problems with it, have my entire zune collection of music downloaded to it (way more the 8 GB of music), tons of apps. Phone has been powered off and on numerous times for flights and other senarios where it is imploite to have a cell phone disturb a presentation or performance.

YaGottaBKidding wrote:

Kingston 32GB installed in the phone on 11/08 after it was picked up,  installed and formated, 0 problems with it, have my entire zune collection of music downloaded to it (way more the 8 GB of music), tons of apps. Phone has been powered off and on numerous times for flights and other senarios where it is imploite to have a cell phone disturb a presentation or performance.

[ Edited ]
57 of 78 (3,011 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 3:19:52 PM
(0)
Mentor

just got my samsung focus which is amazing by the way. anyway tried sandisk 32gb Class 4 card which was pulled out my digital camera with no luck at all.

I suppose i'll just have to wait till this SD card issues gets ironed out, as i still could live with 8gb.

just got my samsung focus which is amazing by the way. anyway tried sandisk 32gb Class 4 card which was pulled out my digital camera with no luck at all.

I suppose i'll just have to wait till this SD card issues gets ironed out, as i still could live with 8gb.

58 of 78 (2,991 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 15, 2010 10:31:35 AM
(0)

YaGottaBKidding wrote:

So far, my Sandisk class 2 32 gig has been working well. No problems that I've been able to detect and I'm going on almost a month now.

YaGottaBKidding wrote:

So far, my Sandisk class 2 32 gig has been working well. No problems that I've been able to detect and I'm going on almost a month now.

59 of 78 (2,756 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 10:27:56 AM
(0)
Contributor

As promised I come back to report my experience with 16GB Kingston class 10. Unfortunately, this was a flop as well. While in a PC it worked quite well with write speeds of about 12.5 MB/s and reads of 18 MB/s in the phone it didn't work in a strange way. The phone reported only 16 GB of memory instead of 24 (8 + 16) and available only about 10 GB (instead of 14 or so since the OS will take about 2 GB). Never got to the point where I would actually try the card, I simply returned it. In the meantime I got the 3rd Kingston 32 GB class 4 and this one seems to perform much better (please note that I tried twice before exact same brand, size and class with no good results). So far it works although from time to time some songs will skip when they are located past the initial 8 GB of internal flash the phone has.

As I said,personal experience can vary as some ppl are reporting good results with even class 2 cards but be prepared to do a lot of back and forth with your seller in case blind luck is not your ally.

As promised I come back to report my experience with 16GB Kingston class 10. Unfortunately, this was a flop as well. While in a PC it worked quite well with write speeds of about 12.5 MB/s and reads of 18 MB/s in the phone it didn't work in a strange way. The phone reported only 16 GB of memory instead of 24 (8 + 16) and available only about 10 GB (instead of 14 or so since the OS will take about 2 GB). Never got to the point where I would actually try the card, I simply returned it. In the meantime I got the 3rd Kingston 32 GB class 4 and this one seems to perform much better (please note that I tried twice before exact same brand, size and class with no good results). So far it works although from time to time some songs will skip when they are located past the initial 8 GB of internal flash the phone has.

As I said,personal experience can vary as some ppl are reporting good results with even class 2 cards but be prepared to do a lot of back and forth with your seller in case blind luck is not your ally.

60 of 78 (2,492 Views)