Samsung Focus - usable SD card specs?

Teacher

Samsung Focus - usable SD card specs?

What is the specs, type and speed, of the SD card that can be used to expand the storage on Samsung Focus? Can someone from Samsung or AT&T answer this?

I am not asking about the SD card size or whether I can use it i my PC after using it in WP7.

I am asking about minimum hardware specs of the SD cards that can be used in Focus.

Message 1 of 78 (17,295 Views)
Tutor

Re: Samsung Focus - usable SD card specs?

I'm not trying to be definitive, just collecting information and relaying it. 

Call the toll free number and ask them. Smiley Very Happy Please let us know what they tell you. The miss I spoke with put me on hold for 5 minutes to confirm. I'm sure we will all know in about 10 days. Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 78 (7,773 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

Seed 2.0 wrote:

I'm not trying to be definitive, just collecting information and relaying it. 

Call the toll free number and ask them. Smiley Very Happy Please let us know what they tell you. The miss I spoke with put me on hold for 5 minutes to confirm. I'm sure we will all know in about 10 days. Smiley Wink

Still put my money of the developers of the OS rather then a tier 1 csr. All the reviews of the OS and the phones that have the slot agree on the mentioned handling of the slot. Paul Thurott upcoming book on windows 7 mobile states it also.

Not going to bother wasting my time claling a tier 1 support representative that does not have full knowledge of the OS and it's specifications

Message 17 of 78 (7,749 Views)
Teacher

Yes, what those customer service reps is all absurd. They all going to feel ashamed when the actual phone is released. They don't expect CS to get calls about unreleased products. They get the data only a day before its release.

That is evident from the postings in various forums. None of the professional reviews corroborated what thos CS reps talking is wrong.

Message 18 of 78 (7,737 Views)
Master

There are videos out there show you how the phone will reset or refuse to work if you take the card out or put in a new card. You will have to either format the phone (hard reset), or put the original card back in order to continue use the phone.

Also, it seems HTC cheaps out in its HD7 phones by using a class 2 8GB microSD card inside the phone (you have to void the warranty to take the card out). That explains why all the reviewes indicate that Samsung phones (Omnia 7 or Focus) feel faster than HTC phones even though both have similar hardware spec as far as memory and processor goes.

So, get a class 4 or higher speed card with a size as large as you can afford and enjoy the phone.

Message 19 of 78 (7,734 Views)
Professor

Ok, this is what I ended up going with.  I wanted to use Amazon for their free shipping, but I opted for NewEgg instead based on reviews of the chip.  Bottom line, I opted for a 16GB Class 6.

NewEgg: $49 Adata drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211379&cm_re=16GB_microsdhc_class_6-_-20-21...

Here is the top Amazon option: $62 Transcend drive

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-microSDHC-Class-Memory-TS16GUSDHC6E/dp/B0026L7DGA/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie...

32GB Class 6 drives appear to cost around $200 and are available from high end camera/photo supply stores.

Message 20 of 78 (7,690 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

Wow, Newegg up'd the price on the Transcend 16GB class 6 $16 in the last week. It is still $4 cheaper ($57.99) at Newegg and you will get it faster from them too. 

I think most people will use a 16GB Micro SDHC due to price/performance. So the 8GB internal, 16GB added = 24 but actual = 22.9GB(after the conversion) + 25GB SkyDrive = 47.9GB actual user storage. 

Does Iphone 4 allow use of Microsoft's SkyDrive, or a comparable service?

Message 21 of 78 (6,859 Views)
Teacher

Seed 2.0 wrote:

Wow, Newegg up'd the price on the Transcend 16GB class 6 $16 in the last week. It is still $4 cheaper ($57.99) at Newegg and you will get it faster from them too. 

Wow, Newegg and Amazon must be following these forums. They have seen the impending demand for WP7 and jacked up the prices.

Message 22 of 78 (6,851 Views)
Expert

shantimohan wrote:

Seed 2.0 wrote:

Wow, Newegg and Amazon must be following these forums. They have seen the impending demand for WP7 and jacked up the prices.

memory costs in general are going up, sd cards are nothing but memory.

Message 23 of 78 (6,817 Views)
Professor

Very interesting quote from MS about why they did not want microSD's used in their WP7 phones and why the Samsung Focus is the only model to have a user upgradeable microSD.  This may be a bit of fear mongering but it points out what we already know.  Buy a reputeable class 6 card and test it before you put it in your phone.

“In most cases, users will have issues,” . “Most cards are of poor quality, and there’s no way we can control that or recommend a certain type of card. If you happen to get a good card, with the right performance and IO characteristics, it will work reliably. But even a bad card will appear to work at first, and the device will boot.”

A bad card will apparently result in “horrible, unreliable performance, slow app boot times and performance, lock-ups, and random reboots.”

When asked by Paul Thurrot how the Samsung Focus gets way with expandable storage, Microsoft claimed this was a feature requested and supported by the carrier, in this case AT&T.

http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-scare-mongering-on-expandable-storage-in-windows-phone-7/

Message 24 of 78 (6,773 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

It's not really a fear mongering but rather based on past experince with WM. I remember in old WM phones, external SD cards tend to stop working randomly.

But newer generation microSD cards seems to work much reliably. My last couple cards on both WM and Android phone have been quite trouble free.

The other issue is Zune software is not designed to let you explore the internal/external storage as file systems. Without such file system support, the use of external SD card is really pointless. Alternative is to introduce a USB Mass Storage mode. But then, you have to provide a software layer to translate between external file system (FAT) and internal storage system and then somehow let WP7 apps to access those files without using a file explorer type mechanism

Message 25 of 78 (6,766 Views)
Professor

I would agree that it is not fear mongering as do a lot of people who commented on the original article.  Bottom line is that the miccroSD field is flooded with low quality units.  A lot of these units are not even fakes, but original ones that failed the OEM's quality test and they turn around and sell them for pennies on the grey markets.

MS made a conscious decision about providing a consistent experience and chose to eliminate questionable microSD's from the equation.  Do I like that?  No.  Can I understand there argument?  Yes.

I think readers of this thread probably already know how they can test their microSD's but in case you have lost the link as we go into our final week beforee purchasing, here is the 'gold standard' in testing software.  It is free.  Make sure to click the english option (if that is your prefered language) as it defaults to German.

Program: H2testw

http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2008/09/02/h2testw-14-gold-standard-in-detecting-usb-counterfeit-d...

Message 26 of 78 (6,749 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

Just to be clear here, are we talking all micro SD or only micro SDHC cards? I thought micro SD only went up to 2 GB.

Message 27 of 78 (6,737 Views)
Professor

mhc48 wrote:

Just to be clear here, are we talking all micro SD or only micro SDHC cards?

You definitely want a micro sdhc vice HD only.  In fact, I am not sure you can buy simple micro sd cards only anymore.  As for the quality control issues, that goes with all micro and mini and standard SD drives.  Buy it and chek it before installing it.

I THINK that the old SD designation is for the full sized SD cards.  (SD = Secure Digital)  You find them in many cameras.  Cell phones use the micro sdhc (Secure Digital High Capacity).  The Focus will ONLY accept micro sdhc of the class 2, 4 or 6 variety.  Get the one that you can afford.  Class 2 is slower working up to class 6.

Message 28 of 78 (6,731 Views)
Professor

mhc48 wrote:

Just to be clear here, are we talking all micro SD or only micro SDHC cards? I thought micro SD only went up to 2 GB.

A point of confusion can come from the difference in the microSD and the newer microSDHC format. The SD and SDHC share a similar form factor, but not all devices are compatible with the newer high-capacity format. This is even true with devices that have been developed by SanDisk such as their e200 series of MP3 players. Using 3rd party firmware, however, SDHC reading capabilities can sometimes be possible.[3]

WP7 REQUIRES microSDHC.

The above quote came from wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroSD

Message 29 of 78 (6,705 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

You guys make it too complicated:

SD, microSD technically means memory size up to 2GB max. That's the original SD (secure digital) standard up to.

SDHC, microSDHC means memory size from 4GB to 32GB max. That's the new SDHC standard.

The next standard is SDXC with memory size from 64GB to ?? TB. 

Since all current hardware supports SDHC or microSDHC, there is really no need to state (HC) part anymore. Yes, older hardware may have trouble access anything over 2GB but we're talking about new phones here.

So, microSD or microSDHC really should mean the same thing. There is nothing special about it. If your card is 4GB or larger, it implies microSDHC.

Yes, you can still use 1GB or 2GB microSD card in your new WP7 phones, but why?

Message 30 of 78 (6,698 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.