Posted Oct 25, 2010
10:21:26 AM
Samsung Focus - usable SD card specs?

What is the specs, type and speed, of the SD card that can be used to expand the storage on Samsung Focus? Can someone from Samsung or AT&T answer this?

I am not asking about the SD card size or whether I can use it i my PC after using it in WP7.

I am asking about minimum hardware specs of the SD cards that can be used in Focus.

What is the specs, type and speed, of the SD card that can be used to expand the storage on Samsung Focus? Can someone from Samsung or AT&T answer this?

I am not asking about the SD card size or whether I can use it i my PC after using it in WP7.

I am asking about minimum hardware specs of the SD cards that can be used in Focus.

Samsung Focus - usable SD card specs?

77 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(77)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2010 11:10:36 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by prubin on Oct 25, 2010 at 11:12:10 AM

checking the Samsung Website, they are selling the following and guaranty it to work with the Focus:

This 8GB microSD Memory Card uses the latest advancements in flash memory technology to deliver the smallest memory card in the world. Measuring about one-fourth the size of a standard SD card, the microSD card provides high-performance and expanded memory capacity for your SAMSUNG mobile phone. Package includes a standard size SD Adapter that can be used in your compatible memory adapter device and digital camera.

It is a SanDisk card - they also advertise the 2 and 4 GB.

That being said, other BB's have opined that you need a class 4 or 6 (if available) card so as to not slow down the Focus.

checking the Samsung Website, they are selling the following and guaranty it to work with the Focus:

This 8GB microSD Memory Card uses the latest advancements in flash memory technology to deliver the smallest memory card in the world. Measuring about one-fourth the size of a standard SD card, the microSD card provides high-performance and expanded memory capacity for your SAMSUNG mobile phone. Package includes a standard size SD Adapter that can be used in your compatible memory adapter device and digital camera.

It is a SanDisk card - they also advertise the 2 and 4 GB.

That being said, other BB's have opined that you need a class 4 or 6 (if available) card so as to not slow down the Focus.

Re: Samsung Focus - usable SD card specs?

[ Edited ]
2 of 78 (15,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2010 3:01:34 PM
(0)
Guru

When a phone is designed they use what is available at that time I had a older SE phone that when it was designed it officially only supported a 4gb memory card however a 8gb model was released afterwards and it worked perfectly fine that being said the best way to "know" what cards your phone is to ask others what they have used successfully and if you buy 1 that it doesn't officially support make SURE you know that company's return policy.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

When a phone is designed they use what is available at that time I had a older SE phone that when it was designed it officially only supported a 4gb memory card however a 8gb model was released afterwards and it worked perfectly fine that being said the best way to "know" what cards your phone is to ask others what they have used successfully and if you buy 1 that it doesn't officially support make SURE you know that company's return policy.

3 of 78 (15,793 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2010 4:31:09 PM
(0)
Teacher

scooterjes wrote:

I am not worried about the size. I am worried about the speed only. I just want to check if what I have already will be useful or not. I have a Transcend 8GB card. I don't know what class it is. I bought it about a year ago. If that is useful, then that 8GB extra is sufficient for me.

scooterjes wrote:

I am not worried about the size. I am worried about the speed only. I just want to check if what I have already will be useful or not. I have a Transcend 8GB card. I don't know what class it is. I bought it about a year ago. If that is useful, then that 8GB extra is sufficient for me.

4 of 78 (15,779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2010 7:35:02 PM
(0)
Guru

If there is no class # on the card itself I dunno I do know my class 6 card in my phone has a 6 printed on the front of it hope that info helps.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

If there is no class # on the card itself I dunno I do know my class 6 card in my phone has a 6 printed on the front of it hope that info helps.

5 of 78 (15,751 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2010 2:09:12 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by BCH238 on Oct 26, 2010 at 2:11:37 AM

I picked up a 16 GB (Class 6) card for use with the Focus.  About 60 bucks.  A 16 GB has been confirmed to work in at least 2 reviews of the phone.  I've seen no reviews using a 32 GB card.  Unfortunately, neither review mentioned what speed class was used, but I figure you can't go wrong with a Class 6.

I picked up a 16 GB (Class 6) card for use with the Focus.  About 60 bucks.  A 16 GB has been confirmed to work in at least 2 reviews of the phone.  I've seen no reviews using a 32 GB card.  Unfortunately, neither review mentioned what speed class was used, but I figure you can't go wrong with a Class 6.

[ Edited ]
6 of 78 (15,721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2010 6:15:54 AM
(0)
Master

Currently 32Gb MicroSD cards are all class 2. So they are slow and VERY expensive (retails about $200 but you can find deals for $100).

I'd agree, you can't go wrong with class 6 16GB card.

Somehow, the price on these class 6 16GB cards has gone up in past couple months. I remember they were around $40 in the summer.

Currently 32Gb MicroSD cards are all class 2. So they are slow and VERY expensive (retails about $200 but you can find deals for $100).

Somehow, the price on these class 6 16GB cards has gone up in past couple months. I remember they were around $40 in the summer.

7 of 78 (15,695 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2010 6:36:02 AM
(0)
Teacher

I found that SanDisk has only 32 GB Class 2. On amazon.com I found Komputerbay has got 32 GB Class 6: Check this link. It costs $117.

There I found one excellent customer review by Kelly Grant in this link. As per this review both the Komputerbay's and SanDisk's cards function much like Class 4 rather than Class 6 and class 2 respectively.

So if phone OEM's hav been working with the cards that are available in the market, we can assume that either of these would work in Samsung Focus.

However, it had been observed by some customers that higher the capacity slower the speed with which they write to the memory.

Let me know what you think.

-- ThanQ...

I found that SanDisk has only 32 GB Class 2. On amazon.com I found Komputerbay has got 32 GB Class 6: Check this link. It costs $117.

There I found one excellent customer review by Kelly Grant in this link. As per this review both the Komputerbay's and SanDisk's cards function much like Class 4 rather than Class 6 and class 2 respectively.

So if phone OEM's hav been working with the cards that are available in the market, we can assume that either of these would work in Samsung Focus.

However, it had been observed by some customers that higher the capacity slower the speed with which they write to the memory.

Let me know what you think.

-- ThanQ...

8 of 78 (15,690 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2010 4:24:15 PM
(0)
Tutor

I actually e-mailed Jeff Bradley from ATT with this question a couple weeks ago.  The below is his response.

Thanks for your interest in our new Windows Phone 7 devices.  We are very excited as well about this great new experience being delivered on some very cool devices on the nation’s fastest network.

The devices will support the addition of up to a 32GB class 2 (or higher) microSD card.  You need to insert the card before you power up the device the first time so that the operating system can map it as available memory to maximize its utilization.  This is outlined in the Quick Start Guide you receive in the box.  I encourage you to read this before you launch the device the first time to have the best experience with a microSD card.

Thanks again for your interest.   I hope you like it as much as I do.  If you have a moment, please let me know your experience.

Best regards

Jeff

Jeff Bradley

Senior Vice President Devices

AT&T Mobility & Consumer Markets

I actually e-mailed Jeff Bradley from ATT with this question a couple weeks ago.  The below is his response.

Thanks for your interest in our new Windows Phone 7 devices.  We are very excited as well about this great new experience being delivered on some very cool devices on the nation’s fastest network.

The devices will support the addition of up to a 32GB class 2 (or higher) microSD card.  You need to insert the card before you power up the device the first time so that the operating system can map it as available memory to maximize its utilization.  This is outlined in the Quick Start Guide you receive in the box.  I encourage you to read this before you launch the device the first time to have the best experience with a microSD card.

Thanks again for your interest.   I hope you like it as much as I do.  If you have a moment, please let me know your experience.

Best regards

Jeff

Jeff Bradley

9 of 78 (15,526 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2010 5:47:53 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by Paolo01 on Oct 28, 2010 at 5:49:15 PM

eshudnow wrote:

Best regards

Jeff

Jeff Bradley

Wow, great post.  Great news!  I'll give you some kudos on your ranking if I can figure out what to click.  Thanks for sharing the email.  Wow, that was your first post as well.  Great start.  Keep it up.

eshudnow wrote:

Best regards

Jeff

Jeff Bradley

Wow, great post.  Great news!  I'll give you some kudos on your ranking if I can figure out what to click.  Thanks for sharing the email.  Wow, that was your first post as well.  Great start.  Keep it up.

[ Edited ]
10 of 78 (15,503 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2010 4:01:13 AM
(0)
Expert

foxbat121 wrote:

Kingston have two 32gb MicroSD (thanks for the correction on the mini vs micro) listed in stock at Newegg for around 115.00

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=32gb+mi...

As far as the 16gb class 6 they have some listed as low as 35.00

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=16gb+mi...

foxbat121 wrote:

Kingston have two 32gb MicroSD (thanks for the correction on the mini vs micro) listed in stock at Newegg for around 115.00

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=32gb+microsd+class+4

As far as the 16gb class 6 they have some listed as low as 35.00

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=16gb+microsd+class+6

11 of 78 (7,225 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2010 1:29:05 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Seed 2.0 on Oct 29, 2010 at 1:58:08 PM

I got a 16GB Transcend Class 6 Micro SDHC card from newegg.com ($42.98, free shipping) I used Flash Check and Sandra Pro Home 2010 SP2 to speed test and error test the card. 

Sandra Results:

Scored 66.22 IOPS with FAT32, 32Kilobyte allocation formating.  

Scored 77.48 IOPS with exFAT (FAT64), 4096 Kilobytes allocation formating. 

Flash Check Results: (2.5 hour test)

1 full pass, full pattern set, FAT32, 32Kilobyte allocation formating

Read=18.85 MB/s

Write=16.98 MB/s

NO ERRORS!!!!

I owned the 8GB version of this product for around 1.5 years and it never failed me.  

Microsoft's stance on Micro SD expansion for Windows Phone 7- http://windowsphonesecrets.com/2010/10/29/microsoft-speaks-on-micro-sd-and-windows-phone-storage-exp...

I got a 16GB Transcend Class 6 Micro SDHC card from newegg.com ($42.98, free shipping) I used Flash Check and Sandra Pro Home 2010 SP2 to speed test and error test the card. 

Sandra Results:

Scored 66.22 IOPS with FAT32, 32Kilobyte allocation formating.  

Scored 77.48 IOPS with exFAT (FAT64), 4096 Kilobytes allocation formating. 

Flash Check Results: (2.5 hour test)

1 full pass, full pattern set, FAT32, 32Kilobyte allocation formating

Read=18.85 MB/s

Write=16.98 MB/s

NO ERRORS!!!!

I owned the 8GB version of this product for around 1.5 years and it never failed me.  

Microsoft's stance on Micro SD expansion for Windows Phone 7- http://windowsphonesecrets.com/2010/10/29/microsoft-speaks-on-micro-sd-and-windows-phone-storage-expansion/

[ Edited ]
12 of 78 (7,172 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2010 1:49:15 PM
(0)
Professor

I'll probably end up buying an inexpensive 16GB drive.  As much as I'd like a huge drive, I cannot bring myself to spend over a hundred bucks on a two hundred dollar phone.  32GB drives will be dirt cheap if I can hold out for a bit.  A class 6 32GB drive which cost $199 now just does not make sense.  I think i am going to grab a class 6 or even 4 16GB.

A class 4 16GB will run you between $20 and $30 if you are not looking for a sale.

I'll probably end up buying an inexpensive 16GB drive.  As much as I'd like a huge drive, I cannot bring myself to spend over a hundred bucks on a two hundred dollar phone.  32GB drives will be dirt cheap if I can hold out for a bit.  A class 6 32GB drive which cost $199 now just does not make sense.  I think i am going to grab a class 6 or even 4 16GB.

A class 4 16GB will run you between $20 and $30 if you are not looking for a sale.

13 of 78 (7,161 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2010 2:13:44 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Seed 2.0 on Oct 29, 2010 at 2:36:59 PM

I just received an email back from Samsung Tech Support. 

My Question: " SGH-i917 Focus for AT&T, need clarification on MicroSD slot
Are MicroSD flash drives used in the slot under the battery cover capable of being removed with out hard resetting the phone/operating system (Windows Phone 7)?

I'm not referring to the internal 8GB memory in the core of the phone.
 "

Their Answer: " Thank you for your inquiry. If you are referring to the memory card that you have on the phone, it will not affect the functionality of the phone either the operating system of the phone.

Should you desire additional assistance resolving this, we invite you to call Samsung Customer Support by phone at our toll free number 1-888-987-4357 between the hours 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Saturday, Central Standard Time.

We thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,

Technical Support
Carissa
{Personal content removed for safety} "

OK, just got off phone with Samsung tech support, via the phone # above. 

She told me that the MicroSD card slot under the battery cover WILL BE REMOVABLE with out hard reset of the phone. That I can use multiple MicroSD cards with the phone, i.e. adding movies to multiple MicroSD flash drives for a vacation. AS LONG AS the flash drive is only used in the SGH-i917 Focus and a Computer. If added to another phone or device it may require reformatting before using in the Focus again. 

Are MicroSD flash drives used in the slot under the battery cover capable of being removed with out hard resetting the phone/operating system (Windows Phone 7)?

"

Their Answer: " Thank you for your inquiry. If you are referring to the memory card that you have on the phone, it will not affect the functionality of the phone either the operating system of the phone.

Should you desire additional assistance resolving this, we invite you to call Samsung Customer Support by phone at our toll free number 1-888-987-4357 between the hours 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Saturday, Central Standard Time.

Sincerely,

Technical Support
Carissa

She told me that the MicroSD card slot under the battery cover WILL BE REMOVABLE with out hard reset of the phone. That I can use multiple MicroSD cards with the phone, i.e. adding movies to multiple MicroSD flash drives for a vacation. AS LONG AS the flash drive is only used in the SGH-i917 Focus and a Computer. If added to another phone or device it may require reformatting before using in the Focus again. 

[ Edited ]
14 of 78 (7,147 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2010 3:10:46 PM
(0)
Expert

Seed 2.0 wrote:

"

Sincerely,

Technical Support
Carissa

this is completely opposite on what is reported by Microsoft, they are spanning the card as a JBOD drive, which basily combines both cards into 1, you pull it out and it faults the drive array.

"

Expandable Storage via microSD

Microsoft supports expandable storage on Windows Phone 7 devices. If an OEM chooses to do so, it can implement a microSD card slot for additional storage. This is similar to what Google allows with Android, however the similarity ends here.

Windows Phone creates a JBOD span across your internal NAND and any NAND on microSD. It’s all treated as one contiguous address space, like a large hard drive or SSD. The benefit is you don’t have to manage where you put your apps, music, movies or photos. The downside is you can’t just remove/replace the microSD card in your phone.

The OS is obviously stored in a known location, however data is written linearly across both internal and microSD NAND. Your phone will still boot if you remove or swap out the microSD card, but you’ll be greeted with an error.

If you remove the card and attempt to read off of it on your Mac/PC you’ll quickly realize that you can’t. By removing the card you effectively break the file system. Microsoft provides you with a couple of other options to get data to/from the phone (which I’ll get to later) so you don’t have to rely on swapping microSDs.

You aren’t stuck with that original microSD card however. If you do a factory restore with a new microSD card installed the OS will format across it and you’ll be good to go. Obviously you’ll have to re-download all of your apps and sync all of your files but it does work."

I tend to go with the author's of the OS on this question, but then again as soon as you get the phone you can prove it one way or the other. This function of the add on memory has been reported by early reviewers of the phones - inclucding the samasung focus and the OS

Seed 2.0 wrote:

"

Sincerely,

Technical Support
Carissa

this is completely opposite on what is reported by Microsoft, they are spanning the card as a JBOD drive, which basily combines both cards into 1, you pull it out and it faults the drive array.

"

Expandable Storage via microSD

Microsoft supports expandable storage on Windows Phone 7 devices. If an OEM chooses to do so, it can implement a microSD card slot for additional storage. This is similar to what Google allows with Android, however the similarity ends here.

Windows Phone creates a JBOD span across your internal NAND and any NAND on microSD. It’s all treated as one contiguous address space, like a large hard drive or SSD. The benefit is you don’t have to manage where you put your apps, music, movies or photos. The downside is you can’t just remove/replace the microSD card in your phone.

The OS is obviously stored in a known location, however data is written linearly across both internal and microSD NAND. Your phone will still boot if you remove or swap out the microSD card, but you’ll be greeted with an error.

If you remove the card and attempt to read off of it on your Mac/PC you’ll quickly realize that you can’t. By removing the card you effectively break the file system. Microsoft provides you with a couple of other options to get data to/from the phone (which I’ll get to later) so you don’t have to rely on swapping microSDs.

You aren’t stuck with that original microSD card however. If you do a factory restore with a new microSD card installed the OS will format across it and you’ll be good to go. Obviously you’ll have to re-download all of your apps and sync all of your files but it does work."

I tend to go with the author's of the OS on this question, but then again as soon as you get the phone you can prove it one way or the other. This function of the add on memory has been reported by early reviewers of the phones - inclucding the samasung focus and the OS

15 of 78 (7,133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2010 3:22:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'm not trying to be definitive, just collecting information and relaying it. 

Call the toll free number and ask them. :smileyvery-happy: Please let us know what they tell you. The miss I spoke with put me on hold for 5 minutes to confirm. I'm sure we will all know in about 10 days. :smileywink:

Call the toll free number and ask them. :smileyvery-happy: Please let us know what they tell you. The miss I spoke with put me on hold for 5 minutes to confirm. I'm sure we will all know in about 10 days. :smileywink:

16 of 78 (7,126 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2010 4:26:01 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Oct 29, 2010 at 4:27:06 PM

Seed 2.0 wrote:

Still put my money of the developers of the OS rather then a tier 1 csr. All the reviews of the OS and the phones that have the slot agree on the mentioned handling of the slot. Paul Thurott upcoming book on windows 7 mobile states it also.

Not going to bother wasting my time claling a tier 1 support representative that does not have full knowledge of the OS and it's specifications

Seed 2.0 wrote:

Still put my money of the developers of the OS rather then a tier 1 csr. All the reviews of the OS and the phones that have the slot agree on the mentioned handling of the slot. Paul Thurott upcoming book on windows 7 mobile states it also.

Not going to bother wasting my time claling a tier 1 support representative that does not have full knowledge of the OS and it's specifications

[ Edited ]
17 of 78 (7,102 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2010 5:24:45 PM
(0)
Teacher

Yes, what those customer service reps is all absurd. They all going to feel ashamed when the actual phone is released. They don't expect CS to get calls about unreleased products. They get the data only a day before its release.

That is evident from the postings in various forums. None of the professional reviews corroborated what thos CS reps talking is wrong.

Yes, what those customer service reps is all absurd. They all going to feel ashamed when the actual phone is released. They don't expect CS to get calls about unreleased products. They get the data only a day before its release.

That is evident from the postings in various forums. None of the professional reviews corroborated what thos CS reps talking is wrong.

18 of 78 (7,090 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2010 5:55:21 PM
(0)
Master

There are videos out there show you how the phone will reset or refuse to work if you take the card out or put in a new card. You will have to either format the phone (hard reset), or put the original card back in order to continue use the phone.

Also, it seems HTC cheaps out in its HD7 phones by using a class 2 8GB microSD card inside the phone (you have to void the warranty to take the card out). That explains why all the reviewes indicate that Samsung phones (Omnia 7 or Focus) feel faster than HTC phones even though both have similar hardware spec as far as memory and processor goes.

So, get a class 4 or higher speed card with a size as large as you can afford and enjoy the phone.

There are videos out there show you how the phone will reset or refuse to work if you take the card out or put in a new card. You will have to either format the phone (hard reset), or put the original card back in order to continue use the phone.

Also, it seems HTC cheaps out in its HD7 phones by using a class 2 8GB microSD card inside the phone (you have to void the warranty to take the card out). That explains why all the reviewes indicate that Samsung phones (Omnia 7 or Focus) feel faster than HTC phones even though both have similar hardware spec as far as memory and processor goes.

So, get a class 4 or higher speed card with a size as large as you can afford and enjoy the phone.

19 of 78 (7,087 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2010 8:31:29 AM
(0)
Professor

Ok, this is what I ended up going with.  I wanted to use Amazon for their free shipping, but I opted for NewEgg instead based on reviews of the chip.  Bottom line, I opted for a 16GB Class 6.

NewEgg: $49 Adata drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211379&cm_re=16GB_microsdhc_class_6-_-20-21...

Here is the top Amazon option: $62 Transcend drive

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-microSDHC-Class-Memory-TS16GUSDHC6E/dp/B0026L7DGA/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie...

32GB Class 6 drives appear to cost around $200 and are available from high end camera/photo supply stores.

Ok, this is what I ended up going with.  I wanted to use Amazon for their free shipping, but I opted for NewEgg instead based on reviews of the chip.  Bottom line, I opted for a 16GB Class 6.

NewEgg: $49 Adata drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211379&cm_re=16GB_microsdhc_class_6-_-20-211-379-_-Product

Here is the top Amazon option: $62 Transcend drive

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-microSDHC-Class-Memory-TS16GUSDHC6E/dp/B0026L7DGA/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1288452139&sr=1-1

32GB Class 6 drives appear to cost around $200 and are available from high end camera/photo supply stores.

20 of 78 (7,043 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2010 9:35:36 AM
(0)
Tutor

Wow, Newegg up'd the price on the Transcend 16GB class 6 $16 in the last week. It is still $4 cheaper ($57.99) at Newegg and you will get it faster from them too. 

I think most people will use a 16GB Micro SDHC due to price/performance. So the 8GB internal, 16GB added = 24 but actual = 22.9GB(after the conversion) + 25GB SkyDrive = 47.9GB actual user storage. 

Does Iphone 4 allow use of Microsoft's SkyDrive, or a comparable service?

Wow, Newegg up'd the price on the Transcend 16GB class 6 $16 in the last week. It is still $4 cheaper ($57.99) at Newegg and you will get it faster from them too. 

I think most people will use a 16GB Micro SDHC due to price/performance. So the 8GB internal, 16GB added = 24 but actual = 22.9GB(after the conversion) + 25GB SkyDrive = 47.9GB actual user storage. 

Does Iphone 4 allow use of Microsoft's SkyDrive, or a comparable service?

21 of 78 (6,212 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2010 9:53:13 AM
(0)
Teacher

Seed 2.0 wrote:

Wow, Newegg and Amazon must be following these forums. They have seen the impending demand for WP7 and jacked up the prices.

Seed 2.0 wrote:

Wow, Newegg and Amazon must be following these forums. They have seen the impending demand for WP7 and jacked up the prices.

22 of 78 (6,204 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2010 3:51:06 PM
(0)
Expert

shantimohan wrote:

Seed 2.0 wrote:

memory costs in general are going up, sd cards are nothing but memory.

shantimohan wrote:

Seed 2.0 wrote:

memory costs in general are going up, sd cards are nothing but memory.

23 of 78 (6,170 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2010 5:53:40 AM
(0)
Professor

Very interesting quote from MS about why they did not want microSD's used in their WP7 phones and why the Samsung Focus is the only model to have a user upgradeable microSD.  This may be a bit of fear mongering but it points out what we already know.  Buy a reputeable class 6 card and test it before you put it in your phone.

“In most cases, users will have issues,” . “Most cards are of poor quality, and there’s no way we can control that or recommend a certain type of card. If you happen to get a good card, with the right performance and IO characteristics, it will work reliably. But even a bad card will appear to work at first, and the device will boot.”

A bad card will apparently result in “horrible, unreliable performance, slow app boot times and performance, lock-ups, and random reboots.”

When asked by Paul Thurrot how the Samsung Focus gets way with expandable storage, Microsoft claimed this was a feature requested and supported by the carrier, in this case AT&T.

http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-scare-mongering-on-expandable-storage-in-windows-phone-7/

Very interesting quote from MS about why they did not want microSD's used in their WP7 phones and why the Samsung Focus is the only model to have a user upgradeable microSD.  This may be a bit of fear mongering but it points out what we already know.  Buy a reputeable class 6 card and test it before you put it in your phone.

“In most cases, users will have issues,” . “Most cards are of poor quality, and there’s no way we can control that or recommend a certain type of card. If you happen to get a good card, with the right performance and IO characteristics, it will work reliably. But even a bad card will appear to work at first, and the device will boot.”

A bad card will apparently result in “horrible, unreliable performance, slow app boot times and performance, lock-ups, and random reboots.”

When asked by Paul Thurrot how the Samsung Focus gets way with expandable storage, Microsoft claimed this was a feature requested and supported by the carrier, in this case AT&T.

http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-scare-mongering-on-expandable-storage-in-windows-phone-7/

24 of 78 (6,126 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2010 7:00:44 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Oct 31, 2010 at 7:02:56 AM

It's not really a fear mongering but rather based on past experince with WM. I remember in old WM phones, external SD cards tend to stop working randomly.

But newer generation microSD cards seems to work much reliably. My last couple cards on both WM and Android phone have been quite trouble free.

The other issue is Zune software is not designed to let you explore the internal/external storage as file systems. Without such file system support, the use of external SD card is really pointless. Alternative is to introduce a USB Mass Storage mode. But then, you have to provide a software layer to translate between external file system (FAT) and internal storage system and then somehow let WP7 apps to access those files without using a file explorer type mechanism

It's not really a fear mongering but rather based on past experince with WM. I remember in old WM phones, external SD cards tend to stop working randomly.

But newer generation microSD cards seems to work much reliably. My last couple cards on both WM and Android phone have been quite trouble free.

The other issue is Zune software is not designed to let you explore the internal/external storage as file systems. Without such file system support, the use of external SD card is really pointless. Alternative is to introduce a USB Mass Storage mode. But then, you have to provide a software layer to translate between external file system (FAT) and internal storage system and then somehow let WP7 apps to access those files without using a file explorer type mechanism

[ Edited ]
25 of 78 (6,119 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2010 8:19:58 AM
(0)
Professor

I would agree that it is not fear mongering as do a lot of people who commented on the original article.  Bottom line is that the miccroSD field is flooded with low quality units.  A lot of these units are not even fakes, but original ones that failed the OEM's quality test and they turn around and sell them for pennies on the grey markets.

MS made a conscious decision about providing a consistent experience and chose to eliminate questionable microSD's from the equation.  Do I like that?  No.  Can I understand there argument?  Yes.

I think readers of this thread probably already know how they can test their microSD's but in case you have lost the link as we go into our final week beforee purchasing, here is the 'gold standard' in testing software.  It is free.  Make sure to click the english option (if that is your prefered language) as it defaults to German.

Program: H2testw

http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2008/09/02/h2testw-14-gold-standard-in-detecting-usb-counterfeit-d...

I would agree that it is not fear mongering as do a lot of people who commented on the original article.  Bottom line is that the miccroSD field is flooded with low quality units.  A lot of these units are not even fakes, but original ones that failed the OEM's quality test and they turn around and sell them for pennies on the grey markets.

MS made a conscious decision about providing a consistent experience and chose to eliminate questionable microSD's from the equation.  Do I like that?  No.  Can I understand there argument?  Yes.

I think readers of this thread probably already know how they can test their microSD's but in case you have lost the link as we go into our final week beforee purchasing, here is the 'gold standard' in testing software.  It is free.  Make sure to click the english option (if that is your prefered language) as it defaults to German.

Program: H2testw

http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2008/09/02/h2testw-14-gold-standard-in-detecting-usb-counterfeit-drives/

26 of 78 (6,102 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2010 9:15:39 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by mhc48 on Oct 31, 2010 at 9:21:28 AM

Just to be clear here, are we talking all micro SD or only micro SDHC cards? I thought micro SD only went up to 2 GB.

Just to be clear here, are we talking all micro SD or only micro SDHC cards? I thought micro SD only went up to 2 GB.

[ Edited ]
27 of 78 (6,090 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2010 9:23:15 AM
(0)
Professor

mhc48 wrote:

Just to be clear here, are we talking all micro SD or only micro SDHC cards?

You definitely want a micro sdhc vice HD only.  In fact, I am not sure you can buy simple micro sd cards only anymore.  As for the quality control issues, that goes with all micro and mini and standard SD drives.  Buy it and chek it before installing it.

I THINK that the old SD designation is for the full sized SD cards.  (SD = Secure Digital)  You find them in many cameras.  Cell phones use the micro sdhc (Secure Digital High Capacity).  The Focus will ONLY accept micro sdhc of the class 2, 4 or 6 variety.  Get the one that you can afford.  Class 2 is slower working up to class 6.

mhc48 wrote:

Just to be clear here, are we talking all micro SD or only micro SDHC cards?

You definitely want a micro sdhc vice HD only.  In fact, I am not sure you can buy simple micro sd cards only anymore.  As for the quality control issues, that goes with all micro and mini and standard SD drives.  Buy it and chek it before installing it.

I THINK that the old SD designation is for the full sized SD cards.  (SD = Secure Digital)  You find them in many cameras.  Cell phones use the micro sdhc (Secure Digital High Capacity).  The Focus will ONLY accept micro sdhc of the class 2, 4 or 6 variety.  Get the one that you can afford.  Class 2 is slower working up to class 6.

28 of 78 (6,084 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2010 12:43:43 PM
(0)
Professor

mhc48 wrote:

A point of confusion can come from the difference in the microSD and the newer microSDHC format. The SD and SDHC share a similar form factor, but not all devices are compatible with the newer high-capacity format. This is even true with devices that have been developed by SanDisk such as their e200 series of MP3 players. Using 3rd party firmware, however, SDHC reading capabilities can sometimes be possible.[3]

WP7 REQUIRES microSDHC.

The above quote came from wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroSD

mhc48 wrote:

A point of confusion can come from the difference in the microSD and the newer microSDHC format. The SD and SDHC share a similar form factor, but not all devices are compatible with the newer high-capacity format. This is even true with devices that have been developed by SanDisk such as their e200 series of MP3 players. Using 3rd party firmware, however, SDHC reading capabilities can sometimes be possible.[3]

WP7 REQUIRES microSDHC.

The above quote came from wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroSD

29 of 78 (6,058 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2010 1:25:52 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Oct 31, 2010 at 1:27:47 PM

You guys make it too complicated:

SD, microSD technically means memory size up to 2GB max. That's the original SD (secure digital) standard up to.

SDHC, microSDHC means memory size from 4GB to 32GB max. That's the new SDHC standard.

The next standard is SDXC with memory size from 64GB to ?? TB. 

Since all current hardware supports SDHC or microSDHC, there is really no need to state (HC) part anymore. Yes, older hardware may have trouble access anything over 2GB but we're talking about new phones here.

So, microSD or microSDHC really should mean the same thing. There is nothing special about it. If your card is 4GB or larger, it implies microSDHC.

Yes, you can still use 1GB or 2GB microSD card in your new WP7 phones, but why?

You guys make it too complicated:

SD, microSD technically means memory size up to 2GB max. That's the original SD (secure digital) standard up to.

SDHC, microSDHC means memory size from 4GB to 32GB max. That's the new SDHC standard.

The next standard is SDXC with memory size from 64GB to ?? TB. 

Since all current hardware supports SDHC or microSDHC, there is really no need to state (HC) part anymore. Yes, older hardware may have trouble access anything over 2GB but we're talking about new phones here.

So, microSD or microSDHC really should mean the same thing. There is nothing special about it. If your card is 4GB or larger, it implies microSDHC.

Yes, you can still use 1GB or 2GB microSD card in your new WP7 phones, but why?

[ Edited ]
30 of 78 (6,051 Views)